Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caramel Coloring

Posted by silversword 9A (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 11:14

Food Babe is where I get a lot of my food information. She posted this about Starbucks... which made me look up caramel coloring in our food. Evidently it's everywhere. Coke and Pepsi said they'd remove it from their products (to a level that's less potentially harmful, because they don't want to have to put a "may cause cancer" sticker on their cans in California), but as far as I know Pepsi still Pepsi still contains too much carcinogens.

I find it interesting that in the article above they say "Consumers need to be aware of the big picture: Even water can be toxic in unhealthy amounts -- or vitamins or fiber."

The Food and Drug Administration says that a consumer would need to consume more than 1,000 cans of soda every day to reach the doses linked to cancer in rodent studies.

That may be true. But how many other food items have the caramel coloring in them? And combined with other additives? Who knows?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sabotaged at Starbucks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caramel Coloring

"That may be true. But how many other food items have the caramel coloring in them? And combined with other additives? Who knows?"

Add to that the various processing... and who knows?

This is why we've completely changed how we eat.

o

The more you change your diet and think about how you eat the more our "food" makes no sense whatsoever. I can't believe I was conditioned to afraid and turned off by so many natural foods but I had no qualms about eating a snack pack of cheeze and crackers (years ago). Crazy and wrong.
Oh, and I used add caramel colouring to my gravy. What was I thinking.

o

"What was I thinking."

The same thing just about all of us where thinking "back then". We didn't know what we know now, the information wasn't available to us, the studies that tell us the things they do now weren't done then and/or results weren't made public.

We where just plain "naive" then and now we aren't.

We make the changes in our lives, our diets now that we can, make the knowledge available to our children, grandchildren etc.

AND

move on from there and not dwell on what we did "when we didn't know any better" and question things now so that we don't repeat the same mistakes now that we did then and didn't know they where mistakes.

o

Cookie is right... so much of what is offered as food makes no sense in the arena of actual nutrition or what food is supposed to be.

I'm so glad we question everything! Too much of "authority" on anything comes from within that industry... so, how much of a true authority are they? What is the real motivation? Money.

A lot of "how we eat" makes no sense, either... as an example, we are the only mammal that drinks milk, taken from another mammal, post weaning. Why?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here