Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Media ramps up Obamacare details as Oct 1 approaches

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 11:25

I'm seeing lots of information put out by various media outlets to help people understand Obamacare and the exchanges:

CNN: Obamacare: Your guide to health insurance terms

Yahoo: How to navigate the healthcare exchanges

NBCNews: Understanding what the new healthcare law means to you
NBCNews: Counselors help you navigate federal healthcare

Atlanta paper: Healthcare Reform Guide

Fox News - oops, no helpful articles, just a bunch of "doom and gloom" opinion pieces. I guess Fox News as a national team is not interested in helping people with this. Here is what you get if you search for "healthcare exchange" on the Fox News website just so you know I'm not being flip here; there really is nothing "helpful".

Kudos to those reporters that can put partisanship aside and publish information to help their readers/viewers at this time. By the way, the Atlanta paper is pretty conservative so I applaud them in particular.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Media ramps up Obamacare details as Oct 1 approaches

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 16:19

The info I've seen in the local papers - Baltimore and Washington, has been very calm and reasonable, good Q & A, lots of links to more information.

I agree, this is something the media can do well. They have access to lot's of experts, and can present it in an accessible format.

My daughter and her family are looking for a plan that doesn't have the $20,000 deductible that they now have with their private plan, and she says she feels like the information she's found is to be trusted.

I applaud them too.

o

Fair & balanced the sky is falling the death panels going to kill you !

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 17:04

Thanks for the links Esh :)

o

There still seems to be a lot of confusion for seniors on Medicare; apprehensions their coverage is going to change. The 2014 Medicare & You filled up my mailbox this AM - imagine the same for the rest of the 65 and over crowd. If they bother to scan the first page cover letter and nothing else, their minds should be put at ease.

I hope this is true and accessible to people who need a bit of help (except for advising what plan to buy) will take advantage of the specially trained advisers in communities. These "navigators," can help in person. There will also be federally authorized marketplace-designated organizations. They will be based in community health centers, malls, in drug stores, and churches. Depending on state law, traditional agents and insurance brokers can also help.

o

20k deductible, wow! I didn't think there was such a "product".

o

Yes - Blue Cross - "Saver" plan

This is similar to the one they have in Maryland. It's what they can afford right now, and they must have health insurance, especially with kids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

What some employers are doing to make improvements.

Here is a link that might be useful: In another direction

o

At the link is a thoughtful column on Obamacare - why it was implemented, the Republican alternatives, and other aspects of the law.

It's a reasonably objective, non-hysterical analysis, pointing out the areas of contention and so on.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

From David's link:

Two weeks ago, this campaign of misinformation reached a new level of absurdity when Betsy McCaughey, a discredited advocate from the 1990s, suggested that Obamacare would turn doctors into “government agents” demanding information about patients’ sex lives. The claim is not true. It went viral anyway.

Hmmmm....nik, are you listening?

Thanks, David, again for a level-headed article.

o

I have a serious question. For those of you who plan to sign up for Obamacare, do you know if your dr. will participate in the plan? Do you know the drs and hospitals that will be in your network?

And will you have to depend on subsidies for your health insurance because of hours being cut. Here is a partial list of some companies that are moving to part time.

o

"Hmmmm....nik, are you listening?"
Yep. The government still wants specific information about the sex lives of US citizens, and has authorized special payments for doctors willing to gather that personal information and pass it on to government.

o

Do you have a link for that, nik? How much are the special payments?

mrskjun - we'll still be participating in employer plans. And no, my hours are not being cut.

o

In Colorado, they've divided the state up into districts, and certain insurance companies cover some or all of the districts.

In my district, I have a choice between 4 carriers, one of which, Rocky Mt Health Care, is already the preferred insurer in the area - they're the ones with that novel concept that if the doctors bill them correctly, they get paid by the end of the month, not 3-6 months like Blue Cross and some of the others. Its to the point that several physicians won't treat you unless you have Rocky Mountain.

So, no problem for us. Same doctors, same hospital, same everything. Just affordable insurance.

o

So, no problem for us. Same doctors, same hospital, same everything. Just affordable insurance.

So, you've got yours, too bad if anyone else loses their doctors, hospitals, or their premiums skyrocket? ;)

o

Why would that happen? The hospitals and doctors already tell you what insurance they take - or don't take - so it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out that one should buy a policy from an insurance company your doctor will accept.

And to debunk the skyrocketing premium thing yet again, the only time that happens is if you had some scant major medical coverage that now doesn't meet the new standards - and you'll have to get better coverage.

o

I've had to change doctors several times in the last 12 years with my employer's insurance. We were on something (can't remember what), then United Healthcare, and then 2 years ago switched to Anthem Blue Cross.

So having to switch doctors (to get in-network prices) is pretty standard even before Obamacare.

o

or their premiums skyrocket?

That's been standard in my area long before anyone ever even dreamt of such a thing as ACA: The annual group insurance hop scotch as a small employer picked and chose among the carriers as new plans -- higher deductibles, higher co-pays -- came along to keep the increases in the low double digits.

o

The media and administration have their work cut out for them. According to the latest Kaiser tracking poll, only 12% if the uninsured know when the exchanges open.

Meanwhile, millions of Americans have been robbed of their full time jobs and their own insurance thanks to this Democrat legislation to "help" a minority of people without insurance. Only it turns out most of those folks aren't "desperate" enough to even know or care about shopping for insurance next week.

The government still wants specific information about the sex lives of US citizens, and has authorized special payments for doctors willing to gather that

"Do you have a link for that, nik?"

I gave you the McCaughey article. While she has been trashed by lefties, not one has accused her of making up those questions. We're up to 288 of them now.They deal with a range of issues, but for some reason our "transparent" government isn't making that information easy for consumers to find. You can find some of them on "vendor" websites, though.

"How much are the special payments?"

In the thousands of dollars over three years. Why are you asking me? This is information your doctor and your government can give you. Payments depend on whether the doc sees medicare or medicaid patients, and on how much information he passes on to the government. So if we all refuse to answer the questions, your doctor won't get the incentive pay, and will likely get his pay docked.

Do your own homework. Try some key words like PQRS or EHR, or EHR incentive program. Check CMS.gov or EHR vendor. Have fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't know much about 0-care

o

millions of Americans have been robbed of their full time jobs

Got a link for that?

In the thousands of dollars over three years. Why are you asking me? This is information your doctor and your government can give you.

I'm asking you because you're claiming it. And it's bull poop.

While she has been trashed by lefties, not one has accused her of making up those questions.

She's making it up. There, happy? Unless you have some credible information, this is just bull poop again. I mean, STILL.

Do your own homework.

I'm not gonna chase down your ghosts.

o

They said on the local news that our county has one choice. So I guess that's not a choice, hm?

But (right now anyway) I personally have no changes, and since it's all about me, as David said: "So, no problem for us."

o

How about this aspect:

As millions of Americans wait to see how the federal health exchanges shake out, some who’ve been hanging onto their jobs just for the insurance say Obamacare gives them a new reason to bid their old employers goodbye.

One Arizona couple, Claudia and Joseph Schulz, just quit their jobs, in fact, and launched a husband-and-wife real estate team, largely because they can sign up this week for health insurance not tethered to any position.

“That was the fear before. We felt too much on our own,” says Claudia Schulz, 33, of Phoenix. “Now, if we’re able to make our dream come true of owning our own business, or at least giving it a shot, it’s worth it.”

Starting a business or retiring early will suddenly become an option under the new exchanges, experts say, especially for the many employees who have felt trapped by so-called “job lock” -- being stuck in a position because of the benefits, usually health insurance, it provides.

“The Affordable Care Act completely changes the playing field,” says Paul Fronstin, director of the health research programs at the Employee Benefit Research Institute. “You don’t need your employer any more for health benefits.”

NICE.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

A game changer, for sure...

o

"If you’re confused about Obamacare, you’re not alone. Over the past several years, every survey on the subject has revealed that Americans consistently fail to correctly identify the provisions that are actually in the Affordable Care Act. In April, a poll found that 40 percent of Americans weren’t sure about whether Obamacare was still law at all.

Administration officials are racing against the clock to reverse those incorrect public perceptions, ramping up their outreach efforts before the health law’s new state-level marketplaces open for enrollment this upcoming week. As the open enrollment period draws near, you may be wondering how it affects you or what you need to do. Or you may simply want to understand more about the law that’s dominating the news. Here are simple answers to 20 questions about Obamacare that may have you mystified (click on each question to jump down to the answer, or just scroll down to read all of them):"

Lots more at the link!

Here is a link that might be useful: 20 Questions - Answered

o

So when so many people have their full-time jobs scaled to part-time hours and their incomes decrease -- the taxes that come out of their paychecks will be less -- less money to the city, state, and feds, etc. Already towns are in a bad way. Nothing to cheer about. When bandaids cost more ... We're going to be a witness to what gov. can do in ways unbelievable. Suicide will become the popular way to avoid pain -- the old way.

o
So I guess we'll see more deaths......

Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 11:16

......if the GOP gets it's way.

The more an EU (European Union) national government spends on health, the fewer the deaths after a cancer diagnosis in that country, according to new research to be presented to the 2013 European Cancer Congress (ECC2013) and published simultaneously in the leading cancer journal Annals of Oncology.

Researchers will tell the meeting that higher wealth and higher health expenditure are strongly associated both with increased cancer incidence and decreased cancer mortality. In the case of breast cancer, increased health expenditure appears to be even more strongly associated with better outcomes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

The media is certainly helpful for the rollout of Obamacare.

o

So when so many people have their full-time jobs scaled to part-time hours

Who is doing this, brass tacks? nik said that MILLIONS of Americans were affected by this ... no evidence.

Show me where "so many people" are having their 40 hour work week scaled down to part-time? Yes, there have been some examples where 30 hour folks have had hours cut, but you can't really claim that 30 hour weeks were considered "full time" by anyone but bean counters.

o

Evidently the unions believe it esh. You think it's just because they never wanted ACA to begin with?

o

Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 13:57

I agree, it will be a big problem for the unions, but.........the unions have negotiated budget busting health care plans for their members - and no company can afford to pay that in the current economy, ACA or not.

A plan that costs the member nothing, covers everything with no co-pay, or limits is not reasonable any more. For some businesses, health insurance is their biggest expense. When Bethlehem Steel closed, it left a lot of retirees, and union members without coverage. It's sad, but it's the reality we face now, ACA or not.

We are all paying more for our employer sponsored health care, hopefully the ACA will keep those costs from spiralling off into space, which would happen, sooner, rather than later, in a "free market" economy.

Employer offered health care is a stupid idea, and the only reason we have it in the US is because the government didn't/wouldn't do what other countries had done and were doing, providing government, single payer health insurance.

Here, in the US. companies offered health insurance as a benefit to attract employees during WWII, because of wage and price controls. The government decided that benefits like health care coverage was not a "wage".

Times have changed, even before ACA, the number of people enrolled in employer sponsored coverage has been falling, and with the current economy, thanks to Cheney/Bush, even fewer have it. ACA is the right, reasonable response to a failed system of health care coverage.

o

Still no numbers, mrskjun.

Although not an exact example, here the employee already made less than 30 hours a week, but this shows one employer's explanation of dropping coverage for part-time employees:

Perhaps an example will help. A Crew Member called in the other day and was quite unhappy that she was being dropped from our coverage unless she worked more hours. She is a single mom with one child who makes $18 per hour and works about 25 hours per week. We ran the numbers for her. She currently pays $166.50 per month for her coverage with Trader Joe's. Because of the tax credits under the ACA she can go to an exchange and purchase insurance that is almost identical to our plan for $69.59 per month. Accordingly, by going to the exchange she will save $1,175 each year ... and that is before counting the $500 we will give her in January.

Sounds like a win-win?

o

I wonder how popular the Republican idea of taxing, as ordinary income, health benefits would be vis-a-vis Obamacare.

Family of 5, good insurance, is worth at least $20,000 a year.

o

A 3 minute summary of what the average person needs to know.

o

Wal Mart said to be hiring MORE full time workers:

Wal-Mart, the nation’s largest employer, announced Monday that 35,000 part-time employees will soon be moved to full-time status, entitling them to the full healthcare benefits that were scheduled to be denied them as a result of Wal-Mart’s efforts to avoid the requirements of Obamacare.

[...]

For anyone who has not been following the Wal-Mart saga, sales have been sinking dramatically at the retailer as the company has turned to hiring mostly temporary workers (those who must reapply for a job every 180 days) to staff their stores while cutting full-time employees’ hours down to part-time status in order to avoid providing workers with healthcare benefits.

The result?

Empty shelves, ridiculously long check-out lines, helpless customers wandering through the electronics section and general disorganization at Wal-Mart store locations.

[...]

The moral to the story?

Wal-Mart is finally learning what all American businesses who seek to avoid their health care responsibilities to employees will soon learn.

It may be a clever enough dodge to cut employees below the 30 hours per week in order to avoid the expectations of Obamacare, but the move comes at a substantial price to be paid in lost revenue and profits. Given that the entire point of business is to show a profit, it is only a matter of time before employers learn what Home Depot learned some years ago and what Wal-Mart is slowly beginning to figure out - you get what you pay for.

Cut back on employees and you will, eventually, cut back on your profits as the savings a business creates by cutting worker hours leads to greatly decreased sales as customer satisfaction disappears.

Yes, haven't we been saying that for some time?

Here is a link that might be useful: Full article here

o

More full-time jobs at Wal-Mart. Great news :)

o

Is this the same Walmart that has been demonized by liberals on this forum ad nauseum?

o

Is this the same Walmart that has been demonized by liberals on this forum ad nauseum?.

They aren't doing it for the warm and fuzzy feeling. They are doing it to improve the bottom line. They still aren't saints.

o

Good article, Esh... thanks.

o

"Wal-Mart, the nation’s largest employer, announced Monday that 35,000 part-time employees will soon be moved to full-time status, entitling them to the full healthcare benefits that were scheduled to be denied them as a result of Wal-Mart’s efforts to avoid the requirements of Obamacare."

Why are you surprised? Putting the most experienced workers on full time over the holidays makes sense for walmart's bottom line.

As for avoiding their health care "responsibilities" did you know walmart already offered part timers insurance if they worked 24 hours a week? I didn't. I'm guessing obamacare will save walmart money when workers qualify for medicaid.

I would not confuse walmart, a company that already offers insurance, with companies that have not done so in the past and are not going to do so in the future. Their needs and resources are different from walmart's. What they all have in common is they'll do what is best for their bottom line.

Here is a link that might be useful: walmart: medical insurance for part timers

o

I didn't say I was surprised. Just pointing out an employer that has come to realize that offering people healthcare benefits and a fulltime job is a good thing for their bottom line.

Something that liberals have always espoused.

Glad you agree.

o

Wall mart is moving employees to full time because it makes good business sense.

Perhaps those here who have never worked in a large business and had responsibility for meeting the bottom line don't know it works.

Part time vs full time is a very complicated issue. Two 20 hour employees cost a corporation much more than one 40 hour employee. Generally you only go heavy on part time to meet significant swings in demand over a day, week or month.

Those companies , and I believe they are small in numbers, who go heavily to part time workers to avoid health care costs will swing back

o

And if they do, Chase, it will help to self correct other problems, as well... like so many people not able to make it without public assistance or food stamps while working those part time jobs, or having to mesh 2 and 3 part time jobs into some coherent schedule to make ends meet.

o

"The announcement eases concerns that consumers in the individual market in some areas of the state would be unable to purchase coverage in the exchange because no insurer would participate. This concern was heightened with the biennial budget provisions making some current Medicaid recipients no longer eligible for the program beginning January 1, under the assumption that these recipients could obtain subsidized coverage in the exchange. Legislators included a WHA-backed provision in the state budget that would have prevented the Medicaid policy from going into effect in a county where no insurer is participating in the exchange. While the news that a qualified health plan (QHP) will be available in each county is welcome, and for now negates the triggering of this so-called "off ramp" provision, in 13 of those counties there will only be one QHP available, meaning consumer choice and insurer competition could be limited."

One QHP available. Yes, I would say "consumer choice and insurer competition could be limited."

I think this healthcare deal is aimed more at urbans, and we do have a few of those. Overall, I'm pretty sure Wisconsin isn't the only state with this situation of no choices in rural areas. Just an observation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here