Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buffet: Scrap Obamacare

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 11:47

With Obamacare just two weeks away. Warren Buffet says we need to scrap this turkey and start over. Welcome aboard, Mr. Buffett!

FTA: "Buffett insists that without changes to Obamacare average citizens will suffer.

"What we have now is untenable over time," said Buffett, an early supporter of President Obama. "That kind of a cost compared to the rest of the world is really like a tapeworm eating, you know, at our economic body."

Buffett does not believe that providing insurance for everyone is the first step to take in correcting our nation's healthcare system.

"Attack the costs first, and then worry about expanding coverage," he said. "I would much rather see another plan that really attacks costs. And I think that's what the American public wants to see. I mean, the American public is not behind this bill."

(Editor's Note: Two paragraphs of Obamacare will force the government to become the biggest buyer of vaccines and one company will receive the majority of these new contracts. This firm is working on vaccines for the flu, AIDS, and practically every infectious disease known to man.)

Buffett's certainly not alone in his discontent for Obamacare. Ask millions of Americans what they think about the new law, and chances are they're ready to pop a jugular.

The government program, slated to being in earnest October 1 when the exchanges go live, is one of the most hated bills in history."

Full story linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buffet: Scrap Obamacare

Don't you ever get tired of yourself, Nik? I certainly get tired of the same old/same old from you.

o

nik, I was just reading a PEW poll. 53% do not want Obamacare and only 42% do. Seems that 56% of young people have no idea that they will be forced to buy insurance as well as the now uninsured.

o

And yet the exchanges are going to open in less than two weeks.

At which point anyone can go online and see what plans are available, what they would cost, and figure out if they qualify for a subsidy or not.

You know, actual people looking at their actual choices.

o

What does Warren Buffet know?

o

Blech.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 12:12

Enough already, give it a rest.

It's never hard to find something or someone that supports your ideas, no matter how misguided they are.

Just look at Pat Robertson and his HIV/AIDS ring.

o

Well, we'll all be finding out.

Buffet knows more than most people on this forum.

o

Buffet is just irked because Obamacare doesn't include free medical care for immigrants ... folks that could be contracting infectious diseases and spreading them to the rest of us by handling our food, our children and many other everyday items.

Still waiting for Republicans to put forth their great healthcare ideas, shovel-ready ideas that can be implemented the moment that Obamacare is stopped.

o

Illegal immigrants.

o

Republican plan.
The emergency room!

“If it was a choice today between plan A, which is what we've got, or plan B, what is in front of " the Senate bill, I would vote for the Senate bill,” Warren Buffet.

You kind of left that part of there
I do note you guys already ignore the millions of Republi youth added to their parents insurance plans
So I'll ask again what was the Republican plan? Alternative, bluff, Another tax cut! Another moronic ideologue tea creature!
Stall another 10 years !

This post was edited by labrea on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 12:21

o

You're right, that should have been illegal immigrants. They are ones handling our food, harvesting it in the fields, packaging, shipping, unloading and even cooking sometimes. They are ones wiping down the tables at night, spreading their germs for the next day's customers: Hepatitis A, influenza, colds, TB .... they can't afford to miss work or go to the doctor so it spreads .....

o

53% do not want Obamacare and only 42% do.

Don't even bother to post your polling results without the accompanying question that was asked.

o

Still waiting for Republicans to put forth their great healthcare ideas, shovel-ready ideas that can be implemented the moment that Obamacare is stopped.

The irony is that to a great extent, Obamacare originated as some Republican ideas--which they were for until Obama said he was for them also. At that point, they became bad ideas that would destroy America.

Actually, isn't there a historical pattern here? Before WWII, Republicans were for civil rights and equal rights, and in fact originated those ideas to some extent. After WWII, Democrats decided to start supporting those ideas and the Republicans suddenly knew they were bad ideas that Republicans should oppose for the next 100 years.

After all, if the Democrats embrace Republican ideas, that is just proof that those ideas should be rejected--if you are a Republican.

Kate

o

I sometimes wonder how Republicans even follow their own party, they back pedal so often.

o

At least Buffet has an idea........not just criticism with no positive ideas re alternatives.

o

REPEAL OBAMACARE!!!

DEREGULATE UNITED HEALTH CARE INSURANCE, FREE THEM FROM THE FETTERS OF GOVERNMENT!!!

Stephen Hemsley, CEO $13.89 million
David Wichmann, chief financial officer: $8.5 million
Lori Sweere, executive vice president of human capital: $4.47 million
Anthony Welters, executive vice president: $7.41 million

(your insurance premiums at work)

o

Somebody needs to inform the unions that Obamacare is an improvement for union members. Damn whiners.

o

Yeah brush, especially after they spent millions to help get it passed. You'd think they would be first in line.

o

And we keep repeating that the reason the few union members who complain about obamacare are those with the 'cadillac' polices, the unlimited dental, vision, no co-pay and stuff, and they're going to have to pay a small tax on those policies.

Never thought I'd see so many anti-union folks out howling about this.

o

I'm not surprised that those that criticize Obamacare have nothing to add in the way of an alternative.

I suspect that most that are against affordable health care for the masses, have quality health care. They just don't want others to have it. Must make them feel superior.

~Ann

o

And still no kudos to Obama for rejecting their request for exceptions .... Sigh. The guy just can't catch a break. He might as well give them what they want then .....

o

"What does Buffett know?"

He's a thoughtful, successful investor who doesn't waste his own time and money on bad deals. I'll bet he isn't swayed by self-serving propaganda from folks trying to sell him something too good to be true.

Buffet knew Obamacare was going to end up hurting the middle class, and we're almost there.

o

Why doesn't Buffet buy United Health Care, cut the salaries of the executives down to something reasonable for the questionable service they provide - say 5% of what they're paid now - then buy up some medical equipment companies, pharmaceutical companies, couple of hospital chains and have them all cut what they charge - across the board - by 50%.

o

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 14:05

Why doesn't Buffet buy United Health Care, cut the salaries of the executives down to something reasonable for the questionable service they provide - say 5% of what they're paid now - then buy up some medical equipment companies, pharmaceutical companies, couple of hospital chains and have them all cut what they charge - across the board - by 50%.

Ah, always we have those who have plans how to spend the money of other people.

I'd send Warren an email and let him know.

o

In the Sixties, Reagan warned us that Medicare was a threat to our freedom and our way of life: "We are going to spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children, what it once was like in America when men were free."

Although Medicare wasn't entirely popular when it first passed, and Republicans have continued to flail against it, it's now hard for most people to imagine life without it (in fact, many wouldn't be alive without it). And remember the Tea Party signs from a year or two ago: "Keep Your Government Hands Off My Medicare"?

When polls show that about a fourth of Americans think that the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) has been repealed, and a majority don't know whether their state has a health care exchange, I take it with a grain of salt that a majority say they oppose it. Let's take a poll in a couple of years when people actually know what the law does and have affordable health care that can't be taken away from them, and see how much they are opposed to it then.

Here is a link that might be useful: History of Republican Opposition to Medicare

o

What a hoot ! Buffet is now wise beyond measure. Funny his opinions weren't so popular when he said taxes should be raised.

o

Just a few unions complaining. There are few unions.

And only the little ones are complaining, like the AFL-CIO.

>(((((

o

And still no kudos to Obama for rejecting their request for exceptions ....

o

And here is the truth about the Buffet story...the Weakly Standard is using quotes from three years ago! It's a "pants on fire" according to Politifact.

How desperate can these people be?

Here is a link that might be useful: Politifact

o

As reported on Fox radio(yes, Fox), there is a difference in 8% points when people are asked their opinion of Affordable Health care and Obamacare. Care to guess which one is higher?

o

Affordable Care Act? That was the numbers I used. Do you mean Obamacare has higher disapproval ratings?

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

And here is the truth about the Buffet story...the Weakly Standard is using quotes from three years ago! It's a "pants on fire" according to Politifact.
How desperate can these people be?

I did notice that the OP link had no dates.

o

Unbelievable.......

Actually it's not.

This thread, the sexual history thread, the speech thread......boogie men everywhere. It's really quite bizarre.

Maybe I'm just not recalling correctly but I don' t think I can recall an instance where the "left" thinking posters grab some easily debunked carp off the web and use it to try and attack conservatives. When a liberal starts a thread that is aimed at conservatives it is almost always based on verifiable facts

More and more I am off the opinion that the Republicans/Conservatives/Independents simply have NO ideas on how to approach any of the serious difficulties facing the States.

Case in point , Obamacare.

40 .....that would be FORTY.... bills to repeal it and not one single bill, amendment or idea how to change it to better meet the needs of the people.

The Republicans are not the party of NO they are the party of NO IDEA

o

I see them as the party of HATE. All directed at President Obama.

~Ann

o

PS - they've tried and failed 41 times, but Tim Huelskamp (R-Kansas) believes there's plenty of time left to try for 42. He's real excited about the prospect of looking dumb yet again.

This trying to pander to the Tea Partiers without risking a government shutdown has got to be a Maalox Moment for the GOP leaders. If it isn't, it should be.

o

Luckily I never really believe anything from nik anyway. She lost her credibility several years ago.

o

I am sure the GOP leadership is quite distressed. They realize they have rogue members and have no way of herding them back into the fold. With the debt ceiling battle about to happen, it is certain that the republicans will take the blame for any disruption in government. There are some republicans starting to speak out against trying to play the debt ceiling card, but the crazies are not going to cede to the sane.

o

MrsK...I don't have a link since I heard it on the radio(local Fox) but if the word Obamacare is used, 8% more people DON'T like it than if the words Affordable Care Act was used. 'Splain that, Lucy.

o

Wonder if the Democratic leadership is getting a little distressed. A lot of money and a lot of votes.

On behalf of the millions of working men and women we represent and the families they support, we can no longer stand silent in the face of elements of the Affordable Care Act that will destroy the very health and wellbeing of our members along with millions of other hardworking Americans.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

"I see them as the party of HATE. All directed at President Obama.
~Ann"

That's sad. Try not to fret , Ann. I for one do not have positive feelings about the president, but there is nothing intense or passionate about my feelings in that regard. I'm confident most people don't have really strong feelings about him personally. We don't even know him. He represents ideas and actions I am not pleased with, and I don't find him charismatic, so...

It's nothing personal for me; and like everything else in life, I'm reasonably sure I'm not alone in my lack of passion for the president, one way or the other. He's a guy filling a job position as far as I'm concerned, and he wasn't my choice, so I'm just waiting for him to finish up his time slot.

o

Warren Buffet owns this newspaper called the Omaha Herald. Steve Jordan, a staff writer for Mr. Buffet's paper, had this to say on the subject of this thread:

"Warren Buffett says reports he wants to scrap Obamacare are 'outrageous'
By Steve Jordon / World-Herald

Stories saying that Warren Buffett wants to “scrap Obamacare” are false, the Omaha investor said Tuesday.

“This is outrageous,” Buffett said in a World-Herald interview Tuesday. “It's 100 percent wrong ... totally false.”

A story posted by Money Morning, a financial advice site, and picked up by the Morning Standard and other Internet outlets quote comments Buffett made in an interview on CNBC on March 1, 2010, when the U.S. Senate was debating bills that became the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare.

But it appears from the Internet stories that the comments are recent.

Buffett said the stories took his comments out of context and added the “scrapped” wording.

“I've never suggested nor thought Obamacare should be scrapped,” said Buffett, who has supported Obama's political campaigns. “I support it. It relates to providing medical care for all Americans. That's something I've thought should be done for a long, long time.”

The Omaha World-Herald Co. is owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Inc."

o

edited to add: Sorry JZ I Didn't see your post above with the same info debunking today's odj...

Demi: Buffet knows more than most people on this forum.

Nik: He's a thoughtful, successful investor who doesn't waste his own time and money on bad deals. I'll bet he isn't swayed by self-serving propaganda from folks trying to sell him something too good to be true.

I wonder if you both stand by those statements now that the truth is out and your op is debunked?

The notion that Buffett had recently turned on a president he supported by souring on his signature health care law could have been easily debunked using Google searches. We rate the claim Pants on Fire.

Conservative Internet bloggers are turning up three-year-old quotes from Warren Buffett and casting them as fresh evidence that American support is dwindling for President Barack Obama's health care law.

But the quotes are not properly identified as three years old and do not reflect Buffett's full thinking on the health care law.

It's unclear why or how the old quotes resurfaced.

But we started seeing the Buffett quotes in Facebook feeds on the morning of Sept. 17, 2013, after the Weekly Standard linked to it, starting its blog post, "You know things are bad for President Obama when even Warren Buffett has soured on Obamacare and says that 'we need something else.' "

The link went to a website called Money Morning, which posted an entry on Sept. 13 titled, "Buffett: Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over."

The post goes on to paraphrase Buffett as saying he would scrap Obamacare and start over.

A variety of other conservative media outlets spotlighted the post in the past week as a development in the ongoing battle over the health care law, such as Wall Street Journal blogger James Taranto and Newsbusters.

But the comments come from an interview that Buffett, the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., gave to CNBC on March 1, 2010 -- three and a half years ago, before the bill was signed.

Buffett's office told PolitiFact that the blog reports do not reflect his views. Buffett "has never said or thought that Obamacare should be scrapped," said Debbie Bosanek, Buffett's assistant. She said she showed him our research and that he said our analysis "covered it very well."

So what did Buffett say in 2010? They can be found in a Politico article published at the time that summarized the interview.

That article also includes other tidbits excluded from the more recent blog posts that paint a more nuanced picture of his views.

• Buffett was referring to a bill that was still pending in Congress. At the time of his comments, a bill had passed the Senate, but lawmakers were still deciding how to get it through the House, so he’d have reason to think his comments might carry some weight in bargaining over details. He was not referring to the law after it was on the books, and he did not make his comments with three and a half years of hindsight from looking at its implementation.

• Buffett said the bill he was criticizing was still worth passing despite its imperfections. According to Politico, Buffett was asked on CNBC whether he would be in favor of scrapping the Senate’s version of the health care bill; he responded: "I would be." However, Politico also noted "that while he does not like the Senate bill, he’d vote for it in preference to doing nothing."

Buffett said in the interview, "If it was a choice today between plan A, which is what we've got, or plan B, … the Senate bill, I would vote for the Senate bill. But I would much rather see a plan C that really attacks costs."

It’s worth noting that in July 2012, just after the Supreme Court upheld the health care law, Buffett told Bloomberg TV that the court made the right decision.

Invoking the same metaphor, Buffett said health care is "the tapeworm, essentially, of the American economy, and we have not dealt with that yet." But he added, "Obamacare is a step in the right direction in many ways."

Shortly after we started looking into the blog posts, the Weekly Standard added an "update" to its post. It said, "It appears that Buffett made his anti-Obamacare comments in 2010, thereby showing that he, like most of the American people, has opposed Obamacare since even before it was passed ��" a point that Mark Hemingway addressed yesterday in response to USA Today’s implication that Americans’ widespread dislike of Obamacare is mostly attributable to Republicans’ efforts to fight it."

We sent inquiries to the Weekly Standard and Money Morning but did not hear back. We also sent an inquiry to Buffett and will publish a comment if he offers one.

The notion that Buffett had recently turned on a president he supported by souring on his signature health care law could have been easily debunked using Google searches. We rate the claim Pants on Fire.

This gets tiresome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Debunking another odj thread

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 20:11

o

Evidently not too tiresome...you wrote a tome there lol.

o

The process of making lies go viral is so easy. Just post lies on social network sites and watch 10 or thousands of rebuttals keep the lie alive in the minds of those who need to believe the lies.

The damage is done. If we don't respond to "debunk", the matter will die a natural death and not become a zombied "truth".

o

Evidently not too tiresome...you wrote a tome there lol.

LOL. I didn't write much. I didn't have to. The correct information is on the internet. Cutting and pasting the facts only took a moment.

If no one debunked this nonsense then some would have left this thread believing that the op was factual. Some still will, ignoring the truth. I hadn't seen JZ's post upthread with the exact same link and info before I posted it again.

o

"And here is the truth about the Buffet story...the Weakly Standard is using quotes from three years ago! It's a "pants on fire" according to Politifact.

Warren Buffett made those remarks over three years ago.

Yet it was new information. Folks had never heard of Warren Buffet's many concerns about obamacare.

People won't recognize a story from 2010 unless they've seen it. When the press buries stories, it's like they never happened.

o

That is so untrue, nik. Your fancy dance won't work this time. Buffet said those BEFORE the bill was passed. If you look at the second link posted, Buffet it furious that his words were taken out of context.

To put it bluntly you screwed up again. Don't you ever feel bad about trying to deceive your fellow listers?

o

People won't recognize a story from 2010 unless they've seen it.

What does that mean? That you're allowed to try and snow people if you can get away with it?

o

Blah blah blah blah

o

People won't recognize a story from 2010 unless they've seen it. When the press buries stories, it's like they never happened.

Not true. If you actually read the article linked these quotes are from a CNBC interview..

From the linkL But the comments come from an interview that Buffett, the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., gave to CNBC on March 1, 2010 -- three and a half years ago, before the bill was signed.

After doing a quick Google search it was picked up by many of the media so it wasn't hidden and Politico did an article on it too, again stated in the link with a link to the original article.. The Weekly Standard issued an update to their story today, unlike you.

Also from his interview in 2010 and can be found on the link:

So what did Buffett say in 2010? They can be found in a Politico article published at the time that summarized the interview.
That article also includes other tidbits excluded from the more recent blog posts that paint a more nuanced picture of his views.

• Buffett was referring to a bill that was still pending in Congress. At the time of his comments, a bill had passed the Senate, but lawmakers were still deciding how to get it through the House, so he’d have reason to think his comments might carry some weight in bargaining over details. He was not referring to the law after it was on the books, and he did not make his comments with three and a half years of hindsight from looking at its implementation.

• Buffett said the bill he was criticizing was still worth passing despite its imperfections. According to Politico, Buffett was asked on CNBC whether he would be in favor of scrapping the Senate’s version of the health care bill; he responded: "I would be." However, Politico also noted "that while he does not like the Senate bill, he’d vote for it in preference to doing nothing."

Buffett said in the interview, "If it was a choice today between plan A, which is what we've got, or plan B, … the Senate bill, I would vote for the Senate bill. But I would much rather see a plan C that really attacks costs."

It’s worth noting that in July 2012, just after the Supreme Court upheld the health care law, Buffett told Bloomberg TV that the court made the right decision.

Invoking the same metaphor, Buffett said health care is "the tapeworm, essentially, of the American economy, and we have not dealt with that yet." But he added, "Obamacare is a step in the right direction in many ways."

You tried to pull the wool over peoples eyes and now you are trying to spin. It isn't working.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 21:21

o

Any more old stuff to dig up, nik? Try living in the now. I know it's a scary place for you.

o

Wonder what Nik and demi think of Buffet now? They loved him at the beginning of this thread, and now when proven a lie, will they back track? Stayed tuned.

o

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 1:45

Wonder what Nik and demi think of Buffet now? They loved him at the beginning of this thread, and now when proven a lie, will they back track? Stayed tuned.

What are you talking about Lily?

My opinion of Buffet has not changed.

Read my posts on this thread and think about it instead of automatically jumping to disparage and goad me, and you just might understand that there is nothing inconsistent in my statements and that there is no need for me to change what I think about Buffet.

What a game is played here for BOB.

o

demi doesn't fall for any attempt to dig up old news and pretend it is "new information" like nik is doing here.

o

Are you saying the information is wrong whether he said it in 2010 or yesterday?

btw, now Walgreen employees will be on their own as far as health insurance is concerned. Love that, if you like the coverage you have now, you can keep it. Oops...fooled you!!

o

During my employment experience and Co health insurance many were sorry excuses to address health care needs. You had two choices as Walgreen say they had. You had a co-pay from your pay check and the company paid a percentage.

Walgreen is paying a percentage still but they are now going to give the employees a list of the health exchange insurance to go out on their own and pick what is best for them and they are still going to pay a percentage. This is a win for the company and the employee.

All should be happy especially the Personal Responsibility people. Employees now can take on the responsibility of choosing an insurance that suits their needs and the corporate lovers that feel corporations should not give a living wage get to continue to give the amount they want to supply for health care.

o

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 10:17

demi doesn't fall for any attempt to dig up old news and pretend it is "new information" like nik is doing here.

I suggest like I did to Lily that you read my posts and stop with the incorrect assumptions about me, esh.

It's not true, and not necessary for your smart aleck comments.

You didn't used to do that sort of thing.

o

Uh pardon me. That was not a smart aleck comment. It was meant to be a compliment.

o

Are you saying the information is wrong whether he said it in 2010 or yesterday?

I'm sure you can read as well as anyone the information posted UPTHREAD about what Buffet has said in regards to this being distributed as valid statements.

But in case you can't find it, look at the post dated Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 19:27 and the one that follows it.

o

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 11:17

Uh pardon me. That was not a smart aleck comment. It was meant to be a compliment.

Well I misunderstood, I apologize Esh.

I would not want to think that you went to the dark side. ;)

o

I'm tired of all the advance damnation of something that hasn't even premiered yet. Last week the Chicago Tribune (eternally GOP) editorialized about the failure of the government to be ready for the ACA start-up on Oct. 1. I expect there will be problems, but can't we wait to pounce?

DH and I were pretty upset at the beginning of this year after switching his Medicare Part D to SilverScript -- but it all worked out OK in three months. (Their excuse was disconcerting: "This happens at the beginning of every year.")

Wouldn't any rational person expect there will be some difficulty getting something as mammoth and new as the ACA up and running -- especially with many states wanting to stick oars into the plans?

Does anyone know how long it took to get Medicare reasonably stable?

o

Yes, for the reasons that many posted upthread including his words in context. Did you bother to read any of it? If you did you would have had your answer.

Buffett addressed the lies again yesterday in case you missed that too. Here it is so you can't say you missed it unless you don't bother to read this.

Stories saying that Warren Buffett wants to “scrap Obamacare” are false, the Omaha investor said Tuesday.

“This is outrageous,” Buffett said in a World-Herald interview Tuesday. “It's 100 percent wrong ... totally false.”

A story posted by Money Morning, a financial advice site, and picked up by the Morning Standard and other Internet outlets quote comments Buffett made in an interview on CNBC on March 1, 2010, when the U.S. Senate was debating bills that became the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare.

But it appears from the Internet stories that the comments are recent.

Buffett said the stories took his comments out of context and added the “scrapped” wording.

“I've never suggested nor thought Obamacare should be scrapped,” said Buffett, who has supported Obama's political campaigns. “I support it. It relates to providing medical care for all Americans. That's something I've thought should be done for a long, long time.”

o

Ya but who cares what Buffet has to say about what Buffet said ?

If the Republicans had any real and factual data to support their cause they would not have to resort to outright lies and distortions.

Funny thing is Obamacare is flawed, it needs amendments, it needs some areas rethought. However as long as the attack is based on deliberate distortions with no positive ideas on how to improve it the real issues get lost.

A very amateurish strategy by the Republicans. More and more they show themselves as a party with huge rifts and no leadership that can get them all on the same page.....much less chapter...OK not even on the same book!

o

chisue-
I'm with you on the advance criticism issue. In my opinion it derives from the concept of: "Let's throw as much crap against the wall as we can...some of it has to stick."

o

I suspect that most that are against affordable health care for the masses, have quality health care. They just don't want others to have it. Must make them feel superior.

Bingo! Nik admitted that already. She has hers and the hell with everyone else that doesn't. They must be lazy or something.

Re: nik posting false info repeatedly...aren't you embarrassed? I know I would be. But it's clear we don't think the same way, ie logically.

o

For an interesting summary of all the lies and distortions about health care reform, here is a link to a quick slide show...

Here is a link that might be useful: Health Care Reform Myths

o

Ya but who cares what Buffet has to say about what Buffet said?

Does not even register as a speed bump on the hyper partisan superhighway of disinformation.

o

"Re: nik posting false info repeatedly...aren't you embarrassed?"

Nope. Buffett's 2010 comments went unrecognized as old quotes because few people ever heard them. Until yesterday. His words are not "false info." They still make sense today.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buffet's words

o

Good grief, you just won't give up, will you? Or is there truly a comprehension issue?

2010 was 3 years ago. How many people remember everything that happened or was said 3 years ago? And yet you think that because someone doesn't immediately realize that you've trotted out old quotes that "few people ever heard them"?

Seriously? People are actually smarter than you think they are, nik. You are just digging yourself in deeper on this one.

o

Ya but who cares what Buffet has to say about what Buffet said?

Clearly not Nik. She prefers to continue to perpetuate lies and ignore facts.

Buffett's 2010 comments went unrecognized as old quotes because few people ever heard them. Until yesterday. His words are not "false info." They still make sense today.

“This is outrageous,” Buffett said in a World-Herald interview Tuesday. “It's 100 percent wrong ... totally false"

Nik, that link was supplied yesterday - see above as was a summary of the interview.

I suspect Buffett knows what he said and he meant better than she does.

Nik's posts claiming otherwise are asinine.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 17:40

o

buffet: "Attack the costs first, and then worry about expanding coverage," he said. "I would much rather see another plan that really attacks costs. And I think that's what the American public wants to see. I mean, the American public is not behind this bill."

So, many of you think attacking the costs is a bad idea? No idea? Or just not some democrat's idea. Which is it? Explain why, please.

•Posted by brushworks Zone5-Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 12:11

What does Warren Buffet know?"

OMG. Just won't budge from that democult. Not for nothin. Not even to save your own skin.

o

october have you read this entire thread? I

...and Brush will not cotton to being called a democrat.

o

Just shows how clueless October is. Again. Can't miss an opportunity to say "democult" even when embarassing herself in the process. Again.

o

Sorry. It's all becoming a blur - epi, esh, brush, chase, chisue, marquest, marshall, mrsk.

You all need new names so I can keep you all straight. Helps when I'm short on time!

Thanks in advance.

o

Wouldn't new names make it worse? :)

o

"mrsk"

HOOT !!!!

o

mrsk

What? Do you think MrsK is part of the "democult"?

Hahahahahaha! Someone is not paying attention!

If you can't keep a few people's names straight, don't address them in your posts. It only makes you look like a fool.

o

So happy to have amused you jill. Really, you need to laugh more.

o

But october, we're the ones laughing! ;)

o

Ah, mission accomplished...obfuscation of initial error complete.

o

You do give us all plenty to laugh at. Not with. At.

o

"Just shows how clueless October is. Again."

Personal attack. Again.

Buffet very clearly said we should attack costs first. October reposted his comment. Agree or disagree, you're not "debating" when you respond that October is "clueless."

Using this forum is a privilege. Making personal attacks against other posters violates forum rules. Please stop.

o

OK now wait. October says this:

OMG. Just won't budge from that democult. Not for nothin. Not even to save your own skin.

Then October says this:

So nik you don't think October made a few personal attacks and you're saying it's not okay to respond in kind?

Snort!

o

Funny isn't it? October's constant insults are never mentioned. Sometimes one just gets tired of hearing it and responds in kind.

But I did respond with nasty replies and for that I apologize. I am sorry you had to read it nik.

o

Ok jill. Whatever you say.

o

""Just shows how clueless October is. Again.""

"Personal attack. Again."

Agree. Very personal. Personalized, even.

o

"So nik you don't think October made a few personal attacks and you're saying it's not okay to respond in kind? Snort!"

I think the forum rules apply to everyone equally, and we are each responsible for our own behavior. I don't see any provisions that entitle anyone to "respond in kind." I am not a moderator though, so I suggest you check with one of them for clarification.

o

Well I see not quite complete-complete now? No one is talking about Nik misrepresenting what Buffet said-putting aside when he actually said it as irrelevant. To try to say that the fact that no one recognized that the misrepresented statement was over 3 years old because it was not publicized at the time is ludicrous in the face of the fact that many Americans could not name the present president. If you put a gun to the head of the average person in the street and said tell me who your congressional representative is or I will shoot-well you could make a whole lot of Soylent green.

o

No one is talking about Nik misrepresenting what Buffet said-putting aside when he actually said it as irrelevant. To try to say that the fact that no one recognized that the misrepresented statement was over 3 years old because it was not publicized at the time is ludicrous

It is called deflection. Otherwise Nik would have to take responsibility for posting disingenously and acknowledge that that she posted misinformation. A) trying to claim that no one heard him say what he said IN CONTEXT when in fact he made his statements on CNBC and it was picked up by other media and b) he did not say what she claimed and his recent statements claiming such and chastizing those who made these claims are being ignored and they are still being misrepresented by Nik and others.

No corrections or acknowledgments of the errors instead we have what you see...blame shifting and deflection.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 15:02

o

"Otherwise Nik would have to take responsibility for posting disingenuously and acknowledge that that she posted misinformation'"

Nope. My OP was posted at 11:47, and it was not until JZ's 4:28 post that ANYONE here knew Buffett's comments dated back to 2010.

That speaks to the character of a news media that willingly works for an administration, and censors what it reports to the people.

It tells us nothing about the character or motivations of someone who in good faith posts information that appears to be new, and carefully includes the source.

When well read folks like most of us here don't recognize old information because we never saw it, the flaw does not lie with any of us. Your accusations aside, I have no need to post "disingenuously," nor to plant or post "misinformation." Buffett's words remain relevant because of what he said.

By the way, I have no interest is "redeeming" myself with you. Your ideas about my motivations and character, and your ideas about what you think I ought to do are destined to remain far more important to you than they will ever be to me. I'll be happy to continue living rent free in your head for as long as you need me, though.

Best regards.

o

Elvis said of President Obama:

I for one do not have positive feelings about the president, but there is nothing intense or passionate about my feelings in that regard. I'm confident most people don't have really strong feelings about him personally. We don't even know him. He represents ideas and actions I am not pleased with, and I don't find him charismatic, so...It's nothing personal for me; and like everything else in life, I'm reasonably sure I'm not alone in my lack of passion for the president, one way or the other. He's a guy filling a job position as far as I'm concerned, and he wasn't my choice, so I'm just waiting for him to finish up his time slot.

What a JOKE.

o

It tells us nothing about the character or motivations of someone who in good faith posts information that appears to be new, and carefully includes the source.

Actually most of the posts show that few seemed to take you seriously. Once you were shown it was old information and what Buffett said (in context) as well as his current response to it being dragged up now, which doesn't agree with you, you continue to ignore it. That says much about motivation and character...yours. He supported it then as he does now.

Buffett's words remain relevant because of what he said.

You are correct. He claimed there were flaws which there are, but he supports Obamacare and states it is necessary so indeed his words remain relevant. What isn't relevant is your distorted interpretation.

I don't care if you want to continue to post misinformation. That is your choice but as you see from many of the responses to your posts, few take you seriously. That is your cross to bear not mine, and doesn't reflect on me, just you. You are welcome to continue to do whatever you want to.

o

Nik-what you don't seem to be understanding is your Op was non factual. If the media of the day did not extensively report this WRONG statement-well why should they since he did not say anything out of the way at the time. He in fact did not diss Obamacare or Obama. He thought it had some flaws-well who didn't-ergo not big news. The idea that the Main Stream Media is somehow in the pocket of the Democratic party is one of those hopelessly wrong memes of the conservatives. I am liberal and progressive and I can assure you they come across to me as mostly conservative. I however do not have any delusions about them being conservative, they present what makes the most money for media. Since Buffets comments were not sufficiently out there I suppose they didn't get much comment although who could say. I don't recall what was making the big media bump two days ago. You have to give it up. Buffet did not call for the scraping of Obamacare.

o

Nice post, Patricia; seriously.

As for Epi: "I don't care if you want to continue to post misinformation. That is your choice but as you see from many of the responses to your posts, few take you seriously. That is your cross to bear not mine, and doesn't reflect on me, just you. You are welcome to continue to do whatever you want to."

Yes, we can see how much you do not care. I'm sure if I were Nik I'd be relieved that she has your permission. Puh-leeze.

o

I'm sure if I were Nik I'd be relieved that she has your permission. Puh-leeze.

Yet again, apropo ...asinine.

Indifference is not the same as permission. You may want to look it up. If I wasn't clear the first time, I'll post my statements again since you seem be having a bit of trouble with your comprehension...
I don't care if you want to continue to post misinformation...
You are welcome to continue to do whatever you want to.

Apparently you just wanted to seize the opportunity to partake in your sport of choice - ankle biting.

o

"Nik-what you don't seem to be understanding is your Op was non factual."

No, it was incomplete. In 2010, Buffett was asked if he would scrap obamacare, and replied that if he were president he would. But as we all know now, there was much more to the story.

Warren Buffett supported the president and the Democrats, and continues to support them and the legislation they passed against the will of the people.

When I posted the OP, I believed Buffett's comments were current. I actually thought he was standing up to this disastrous legislation, and for the American people who still do not support what was done to them. The fact is that Warren Buffett is a firm supporter of obamacare, and as Oct. 1 approaches, I am happy to emphasize that fact so no one forgets it.

o

the legislation they passed against the will of the people.

Not true.

o

Thank you, nik, for trying to correct the record and explain how the misunderstanding occurred as far as your early posts on the subject are concerned.

I always find it admirable when posters are capable of saying "oops" (or equivalent) when they find out they erred in some way. You did that, and I admire that gesture.

Kate

o

I appreciate Nik's candid explanation as well. This type of thing happens to us all. Not sure why some find it so difficult to acknowledge when it happens to them. Facts are it actually preserves credibility when you acknowledge something is not quite what you may have, in good faith, thought it was.

o

Buffet is smart enough to know (or should be) that a major element in the current cost of care is recouping the costs of care for the uninsured.

I know poeple who think their freedom is impinged by being required to have health insurance. Apparently, they don't think MY freedom is impinged by paying for them.

o

I cracked up at Jimmy Kimmel tonight when they went on the street in LA asking people which they favored...Affordable Health Care or Obamacare. ALL seven or eight said AHC and called Obamacare socialistic, and it would impose hardships on people. Then the questioner asked if they liked that kids stay on parents' policy till 26, if preexisting conditions don't matter and they all said yes that 's why they support AHC. They told one woman...they are identical but the name, and she felt like an idiot which is how most people feel when they're duped. She must watch Fox.

The GOP is so afraid that this will become popular thus giving the Dems the edge in the upcoming elections.

o

That's so sad, lily. It's embarrassing to live a country where such a large part of the population is so uninformed.

She should feel like an idiot because, well, she's an idiot. I hope it prompts her to be more informed, but I doubt it.

I know poeple who think their freedom is impinged by being required to have health insurance. Apparently, they don't think MY freedom is impinged by paying for them.

Well said.

o

Both freedoms are impinged--especially to the degree that people are forcefully required to fork over money to pay for people that COULD pay for themselves but won't.

It is still wrong for government to require that people purchase a product.

o

Kate and Chase, I appreciate your kind words.

"I know poeple who think their freedom is impinged by being required to have health insurance. Apparently, they don't think MY freedom is impinged by paying for them."

Where do you think the subsidies for the uninsured will come from, if not from you?

"That's so sad, lily. It's embarrassing to live a country where such a large part of the population is so uninformed."

There's more than enough ignorance to go around. The uninsured, for whom Americans have given up jobs and insurance plans they liked, are among the least informed Americans. If they can't figure out what they're supposed to do, or can't afford what the government says they can afford, how are they going to participate? Check out the Kaiser tracking poll.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaiser tracking poll

o

Second post on this thread:

•Posted by pidge z6PA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 11:51

Don't you ever get tired of yourself, Nik? I certainly get tired of the same old/same old from you."

Real nice pidge.

•Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 12:12

Enough already, give it a rest.
It's never hard to find something or someone that supports your ideas, no matter how misguided they are."

Real nice momj47.

•Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 16:41

"When a liberal starts a thread that is aimed at conservatives it is almost always based on verifiable facts ."

Thanks for the laugh chase.

•Posted by ann_t 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 17:05

I see them as the party of HATE. All directed at President Obama.
~Ann

Real nice ann.

You all remind me of the meanest nastiest girls at school who were the first to cry at the smallest, tiniest, most microscopic hint of a slight. As if they were the poor little victims.

Nik, I don't care exactly what year or month or day or time of day Buffet said it. He said it. And I agree with him. Sheesh.

If he now says forget the costs, they're not important. Well, then, maybe you'd all have a credible argument. But he hasn't, so you don't.

o

Nik, I don't care exactly what year or month or day or time of day Buffet said it. He said it. And I agree with him. Sheesh.

OMG even nik admitted her info was not accurate.

This is what happens when you only read (or comprehend) what you want to.

You did get one thing right...sheesh.

o

nik: "Warren Buffett made those remarks over three years ago."

Is this the admission you're referring to jill? It's the only one I found.

jill: "This is what happens when you only read (or comprehend) what you want to. "

Think you are the one with that problem, jill. Often, it seems.

o
RE: Buffet: Scrap Obamacar

jmc quoting buffett: “I've never suggested nor thought Obamacare should be scrapped,” said Buffett, who has supported Obama's political campaigns. “I support it. It relates to providing medical care for all Americans."

My favorite part: "relates to providing medical care for all Americans."

Big supporter.

o

nikoleta-
Just to keep you current, here is what Buffett really thinks about Obamacare today, as opposed to the misquoting of his comments from a couple of years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buffett on Obamacare

o

Kudzu, We all know Buffet said we're better off with obamacare than without it.

Can you tell us when that video was produced? I'm not going to sit through it unless Buffet's comments are current, and address the obmacare the administration delivered, not the one it promised, based on lies, and Buffet believed would be delivered.

o

"Can you tell us when that video was produced? I'm not going to sit through it unless Buffet's comments are current"

Now that is really rich given you started this OP with out dated and misleading info.....

"With Obamacare just two weeks away. Warren Buffet says we need to scrap this turkey and start over. Welcome aboard, Mr. Buffett! "

His comments were three years old

o

nikoleta-
His current comments are a couple of weeks old (October 23, 2013), so I hope that is current enough for you, since I don't think he's changed his mind in the last couple of days. And you only have to watch the first 70 seconds of the interview to get it all.

o

Now that is really rich given you started this OP with out dated and misleading info.....

When I found out it wasn't current, I was quick to acknowledge that fact. And you were very gracious about that.

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 10:39

"Nik-what you don't seem to be understanding is your Op was non factual."

No, it was incomplete. In 2010, Buffett was asked if he would scrap obamacare, and replied that if he were president he would. But as we all know now, there was much more to the story.

Warren Buffett supported the president and the Democrats, and continues to support them and the legislation they passed against the will of the people.

When I posted the OP, I believed Buffett's comments were current. I actually thought he was standing up to this disastrous legislation, and for the American people who still do not support what was done to them. The fact is that Warren Buffett is a firm supporter of obamacare, and as Oct. 1 approaches, I am happy to emphasize that fact so no one forgets it.

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 11:28

I appreciate Nik's candid explanation as well. This type of thing happens to us all. Not sure why some find it so difficult to acknowledge when it happens to them. Facts are it actually preserves credibility when you acknowledge something is not quite what you may have, in good faith, thought it was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------

I learned to pay attention to dates. Now we all do that, right? Nothing at all unreasonable about asking the poster to confirm what he claims is going to keep me "current" actually is current.

o

Perhaps then you could have been phrased your comment a tad differently.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here