Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free MBA courses from Wharton

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 12:39

To those complaining about the high cost of education, here's a freebie!

Free MBA courses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free MBA courses from Wharton

"complaining about"? That makes it sound like it's not valid to comment on the high cost of education these days, that people are just whiners for nothing ....

But thanks for the tip. I'll pass it around to the young folks in the family.

o

That's not what I said, esh.

I'm looking into it for myself.

A little more knowledge is a good thing.

o

You didn't say "complaining about the high cost of education"?

I could have sworn I saw those words in the OP. Did someone remove them?

Kate

o

Yea I said complaining.
That's in black and white.

I did NOT SAY, "it's not valid to comment on the high cost of education these days, that people are just whiners for nothing .... "

o

FTA "Wharton has no plans to accept the certificates for course credit should students subsequently enroll at Wharton..."

But 700,000 current enrollees at $49.00 a pop for the completed course certificate is a lot of bucks for Wharton. 700,000 x $49 = $34,300,000. If this is a bona fide bargain for students remains to be seen.

But yes, knowledge is a good thing. So is knowing many will be caught up in the high cost of education once the heady days of Wharton Online are over.

o

Free college education is available and many are taking advantage of the offer.

Coursera. It's very successful.

To date, there are 4,775,841 Courserians.

And, they have 16 high paying job openings. If you qualify.

Here is a link that might be useful: 444 courses, 87 partners

o

Duluth, if you continue to read that paragraph, students who take the free courses can use the knowledge to test out of required courses. In my experience, testing out is significantly less expensive than paying for a 3 or 4 hour college course.

I view it as a win for students.

o

I slid right past that, jl. I do know there's value in testing out.

o

Brush, none of the courses I looked at offer college credit. There are some interesting topics from game playing to quantum physics.

o

Yup. My daughter tested out of many courses required for MN. Of course you have to pass, or pay out.

o

Check out Khan Academy, my DD does it for her school.

Here is a link that might be useful: Khan Academy

o

Khan Academy is one of those resources that really makes a difference.

o

I took an EdX course this summer. I got a certificate of completion free.

Here is a link that might be useful: edx

o

David, thank you for the link to the Khan Academy. I've just spent 45 minutes viewing architecture, prehistoric, and Egyptian art. Bookmarked, and I'll be at the site a lot.

o

Wow, both EdX and Khan look like great ways to learn more, even if it is just for personal fun.

o

I used Khan Academy to supplement my math tutoring of the teenager across the street. Sal Khan has an ability to explain complex concepts -- including calculus -- in terms that almost anyone can understand. If you look at the comments for some of the segments on his site, they say things like: "I never understood how this worked despite three years of algebra, and you explained it all in 15 minutes." Khan is a guy with 3 degrees from MIT and a Harvard MBA who quit a job as a hedge fund manager to launch this free learning site. You've got to admire him.

o

Thanks so much for the KHAN ACADEMY link!

o

A little more research on Khan learning, a not so fast from the Washington Post:

Washington post looks at Khan Academy

o

Thanks Silver for the link to Khan and Althea for edx. I just perused the art history section pf Khan and will go back to explore more and other subjects. I will take a look at EdX tomorrow too.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 0:15

o

I love Khan Academy. Sometimes I go there to brush up on things I've long forgotten, like solving quadratic equations.

Highly recommend.

o

Great site.

I saw Khan interviewed on 60 minutes and was impressed by him. Many schools are using his site in their classrooms to assist the teacher and allow her/him to concentrate on kids having trouble grasping the concepts.

My husband is a maths and science geek ( Masters in Physics) and he loves to go there to see how some of the concepts are presented. He has been quite impressed with the down to earth approach Khan takes.

o

Wow.

Commonality.

My husband held a Masters in Physics.

o

demifloyd-
Thanks for the link to the Washington Post article. I read it, but I think the writer is making something out of nothing, and her arguments are thin and dubious.

I'm an engineer who took advanced math all the way through graduate school. Her criticism of how he describes slope is trivial: he's presenting it in a way that makes sense to people and isn't wrong. She seems to be annoyed that Khan Academy has become a phenomenon, even though Sal Khan didn't go seeking this notoriety. Bill Gates thinks it's great, so that's a problem? And low quality visuals? Yes, he does hand drawing on a color computer screen while he explains stuff and it's very effective. People don't need the latest video game graphics if they are watching something that makes math clear to them for the first time.

She also says: "Because the truth is that there’s nothing revolutionary about Khan Academy at all. In fact, Khan’s style of instruction is identical to what students have seen for generations." Maybe she thinks that, but it doesn't explain why his presentations help people understand concepts that their regular teachers have failed to deliver effectively. I'm going to speculate that the writer may have a bit of subconscious professional jealousy that Khan Academy is stealing thunder from her day job of "rewriting the middle school math curriculum."

o

WAHOOOOO!!!! I've finally made it, I was mistaken for David :) I'm honored.

From WA Post:

"Instead, they’ll be solved by teachers who understand their content; who understand how children learn; who walk into the classroom every day and think, “I know exactly what I’m going to say, because that’s what teaching means.”

I took issue with her statements that being a good teacher means knowing always exactly what one is going to say. I couldn't disagree more. Some of my most effective learning and teaching moments have been improv., especially as a parent.

o

kudzu--I realized some of that, just wanted to bring attention to the fact that some discrepancies were found and that there was some criticism.

I watched the introduction and intend to avail myself of some of the lessons to refresh some skills.

o

demifloyd-
I think it was an interesting read that added to this discussion...I just wasn't persuaded.

o

Yes it would appear that our husbands indeed had something in common.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here