Return to the Hot Topics Forum

o
The Canadian Senator from Texas

Posted by ann_t 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 12:42

Just wondering what everyone here thinks of Ted Cruz's antics on the Senate floor?

~Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Canadian Senator from Texas

I don't think we're able to post things such as I'd like to post about him... ;-)

o

Pointless. Laughable. Talk show and late night fodder.

Just serves for most to despise the guy more. I believe he still warms the heart of the tea party and its titular head cheerleader, Sarah Palin. (Who is also pointless and laughable.)

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 13:05

o

I'm enjoying watching him (and others) drive the GOP off the cliff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to picture if it doesn't show.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 13:26

Please take him back. It's embarrassing to see such childish behavior from someone who looks like an adult, but clearly isn't.

He's a blowhard, a legend in his own mind. I can't understand why the people of Texas don't get that he doesn't represent them, but the Big Business PAC's that bankroll his campaigns.

But it is Texas, so I guess there's no explanation.

o

Texas is a great place, filled with wonderful people. I lived in Odessa, George West, and Port Arthur. I felt most welcome wherever I went. Ted Cruz has a constituency, and whether I agree or disagree with every word he says. He is representing those who elected him. How great it would be if all of our representatives did that. But I imagine there are those who would prefer their representatives speak for the pockets of those who bankroll them.

o

He is representing those who elected him. How great it would be if all of our representatives did that.

I would appreciate if my representative represented all his constituents, not just the ones that elected him.

o

Figures this idiot is from Texas. Personally keep him doing what he's doing. Maybe in that insulated piece of the country , he's a hero, but every where else he's a buffoon. The Dems couldn't hire any one better able to help them win.

o

So, by reciting 'Green Eggs and Ham' and comparing those Republicans who point out that this whole 'repeal Obamacare' stunt is a charade to the appeasement of Hitler is how Senator Cruz represents his state?

But I imagine there are those who would prefer their representatives speak for the pockets of those who bankroll them..

At the link is a list of his major contributors, leading off with the "Club for Growth" who "donated" $700,005 to his campaigns.

He's grandstanding for the tea party, who will be cutting him checks right and left, and those who benefit from making the country ungovernable.

Anywho, let the Republican Senators fillybuster the Republican House budget until the gvt shuts down, hoping they can blame the whole circus on the Democrats. It isn't fooling very many of us.

Here is a link that might be useful: who pays for this

o

- snip - [speaking about the tea party]

Those exceptional few are the only politicians they listen to, as they generally prefer the advice of talk radio hosts who don’t have a responsibility to govern, only to make money for themselves and their advertisers. Even the pols they respect have to be watched closely for signs of incipient complicity in the disgrace of incrementally fixing what’s wrong with government rather than burning the whole thing down and starting over.

That’s how Sen. Ted Cruz found himself in hot water with his Tea Party supporters. For weeks he had demanded House Republicans stand fast and pass legislation to fund the government only if it denied funding for Obamacare. When his like-minded lawmakers in the House forced their leadership to send the Senate a bill that would effectively kill the 2010 law, Cruz congratulated them on having the courage of their convictions. Then he promptly explained that they couldn’t expect much help from him. He’s just one guy. Harry Reid runs the Senate, and there are too few non-squishes in the Senate Republican caucus to stop Reid from doing his worst.

Predictably, Cruz’s supporters, not to mention House Republicans, were dismayed by his newfound practicality and they let him know it. So, quick as you please, he went back to doing the thing he does best, telling the Tea Party exactly what it wants to hear. According to Cruz, all that’s required to rid the country of this “terrible law” is for Senate Republicans to filibuster the very bill that Republicans in the House passed.

Obamacare might be a lousy law, but it is a law. It was passed by both houses of Congress, and signed by a president. And this president, having been comfortably re-elected last year, remains in office, veto pen at the ready. The law was found to be constitutional by the Supreme Court, which has a conservative chief justice and four other conservative jurists.

Repealing it will require more than a determined minority. It will take a Republican majority in both houses of Congress, and almost certainly a Republican president. The Democrats who now control the Senate certainly won’t pass the House bill. They’ll strip all Obamacare-related provisions from it. If Senate Republicans successfully filibuster the bill, Harry Reid will let the whole thing die and the government will shut down.

It probably won’t come to that because those perfidious Republican squishes won’t let it.

Why? Because, dear bravehearts, you don’t have the numbers to prevail. You’re a minority. You’re a minority in Congress and you’re a minority in the country. A majority of Americans might tell pollsters they don’t like Obamacare, but guess what? They like the idea of shutting down government even less, as every recent survey has shown. And they’ll blame Republicans for it -- and make them pay for it.

You’ll give a needed boost to the president’s flagging popularity and diminish the Republican brand, which really can’t take much more diminishing. And you’ll delay the day when you might conceivably have the numbers to repeal Obamacare because you’ll have made it a lot harder to elect a Senate majority in 2014. But you’ll have stood by your conservative principles even to the point of sacrificing the prospects for their success.

So go ahead and follow Sarah Palin. Let’s put the Senate on Cruz control. Let’s shame those squishes to the firing line. Filibuster the bill. Let Harry Reid pull it off the Senate floor. Shut down the government. I think you’ll find the Democrats you expected to yield to the persuasive power of your kamikaze tactics are only too happy to test your resolve.

The damage a shutdown would do to the country would be less cataclysmic for the economy than refusing to raise the debt ceiling. And when you see how the country reacts to your shutdown, you might have less of an appetite for holding the debt ceiling hostage as well. You might even get an inkling that governing requires, well, governing, as best you can in a politically divided government and country, seeking advantageous compromises, picking your battles carefully, measuring your strength accurately to advance your ideals a few accomplishments at a time.

And don’t worry about Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin and the handful of your fellow elected officials who tell you only what you want to hear. They’ll be fine. Your intransigence is good for their business. But you might discover, as you see how seriously your tactics have set back your progress, that it’s they, and not the Republican establishment, who’ve been playing you for suckers all along.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to rant

o

I always wonder with a certain level of embarrassment what Americans must think if they were to ever turn on the TV and see our Parliament in action during question and answer period.......not pretty.

However, I would truly be mortified if someone tuned into watch Parliament in action and saw an elected representative reading Green Eggs and Ham ;)

o

Here's the article from GQ. A long read, but it tells one all that is needed to know about Ted Cruz. Perhaps a lot more. Granted, his credentials are impressive - and he'll be the first to tell you.

Here is a link that might be useful: The long and short on Ted Cruz

o

Well, at least so far, no one has leapt over the podium to give him a swift punch. I'm sure there are those who gave it a thought.

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 14:39

Other than El Paso, which I like, but is basically New Mexico, I never "got" Texas. Dreadful place, hot, humid, dusty, nothing to do, too many religious zealots. I was very glad to leave, and I'm sure the feeling was mutual.

So I'm not surprised by Ted Cruz and Governor Perry. We deserve who we elect, sadly, and Texas deserves those two. Texas is becoming the laughing stock of the US. Tragically, we will all suffer from their ignorance and anti-intellectual beliefs when textbook publishers eliminate science all together for fear of offending Texans.

o

What a shame mom. I've lived all over the country, north, south, way out west, and I've found that other than accents, most people are pretty much the same. They treat you just like you treat them. No better, no worse. The people in Texas are diverse, friendly, and have hearts as big as their state. Sorry you didn't meet any Texans.

o

Well, there's Austin. Austin City Limits and the South by Southwest Music Festival.

And home to Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Beyoncé.

/ ".... all my ex's live in Texas....." strum strum

o

Lest we forget Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert - probably still basking in the afterglow of the triumphant Egyptian press conference with the other two amigos - Bachmann and King .

Senate rules finally forced Cruz to stop talking an hour or two ago... to a smattering of Republican applause. He could have gone on a little longer (surely there was more he could say about Hitler and carrier pigeons) but he would have had to stop for good at 1 p.m. for a vote to proceed with debate on the spending bill.

o

Lest we forget Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert

I can no longer pass by a grocery store display of asparagus with a serious face.

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 15:07

I've lived all over the country, too.

The South was the coldest, least friendly place I've ever lived. There seems to be an obsession with "are you like me", and if you are not, no one will give you the time of day.

Oh, there were some nice folks in Texas, I guess, but no one made any effort to be friendly, even when we friendly yankees tried our hardest.

We didn't yell at their kids when they came into the yard to get their ball, like they yelled with my grandkids, We gave out terrific candy at Halloween, they gave barely any, most didn't even answer the door for kids. Grumpy old retirees, I think. Too many of them in the neighborhood, not enough kids.

We invited the next-door-neighbor kids over, but since we didn't go to church, they made it very clear they wouldn't let their sons play with our kids. Same thing at my grandson's preschool there. But back here in Maryland, the kids had friends almost from day one. Sadly, for my grandson, his best friend moved to Texas this summer.

I think that you are just the opposite, though, and, despite our political differences, we'd probably get along just fine.

o

It was not actually a filibuster, just a show but there are plenty who will insist he filibustered. Jerk.

o

I do not like him on the air
I doubt I'd like him, anywhere
I do not like him in the house
I do believe the mans a louse
I see no reason to despair
he will not kill Obamacare

o

We have traveled the US extensively and the only place I truly felt was unfriendly, suspicious of outsiders and obsessed with being... what can I say... Texan, was Texas.

Only places I enjoyed were San Antonio and Galveston Island.

Every single other State we have visited in the States we would go back to over and over.

o

labrea - great Dr. Seuss. Somehow Cruz and his cheerleaders lost the message of Green Eggs and Ham - the message being don't knock it until you've tried it because you will probably end up really liking it (substitute ACA for green eggs).

I also read that Cruz, being the Washington "outsider" has worked his whole life in Washington as a clerk for Rehnquist, a lawyer for a Washington law firm and in both Bush administrations. But the cheer leaders lap up his speech and think he should be president. That sly old Washington outsider.

Also, he's quite the elitist. While at Harvard Law School he refused to study with law students that weren't from first tier Ivy League schools. What a populist (snark). Of course, his TP cheerleaders dismiss this or refuse to listen to such stuff about their hero.

I wonder if these Tea Partiers know his real first name is Rafael.

Three words for Curz: Please proceed, Senator......

o

obsessed with being... what can I say... Texan

I was advised, while in Lubbock, that there was no need to travel to any other state in the union other than Texas; Texas has it all!

And then dissing the 'Messcans' started. Oh, yeah!

Townes Van Zandt

But he's dead.

o

Texas would be 50th in my choice of states to live in.

o

I back the senator, mostly.

o

Cruz has been called a LINO. Shouldn't be hard to figure that one out.

How's he playing in the Spanish-language press? Here's one instance (notice the emphasis on his connection to the Tea Party, a sure-fire attraction for other Latinos).

El senador Cruz se ha convertido en el líder nacional de la cruzada de los republicanos más ultraconservadores que integran el movimiento Tea Party y que luchan contra la reforma de salud de Obama. Cruz les prometió que lucharía hasta el fin, y es por ello que piensa hablar "hasta que ya no pueda estar de pie".

Luchar translation -- not that those of us who know the International in Spanish have need of translation.

o

Texas would be 50th in my choice of states to live in.

Any state that produces Molly Ivins and Barbara Jordan can't be all bad!

o

They come they go this floater will eventually be flushed!

o

And, Ann Richards.

o

And Governor Ann Richards.

Other than those 3 exceptions, however, I pretty much agree with the other negative assessments above.

"Happiness is seeing Lubbock, Texas in my review mirror." strum strum

Kate

o

And Lyle Lovett

(At the link doing a cover of Townes Van Z.)

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I have a "thing" about Townes Van Zandt.

o

David52, there's a bumper sticker that says
"Keep Austin Weird".

'Maybe in that insulated piece of the country , he's a hero, but every where else he's a buffoon'

Nah, he's a buffoon here, too.

o

Duluth, thank you for the link to the GQ article.

From the article:

And yet when it comes to policy, the man hailed as the "Tea Party intellectual" has deployed that powerful intellect only sparingly since arriving in Washington. Cruz's most ambitious proposal to date has been his call to abolish the IRS -- something that, as one Cruz admirer lamented to me, "he's smart enough to know is an entirely cynical thing to do." Meanwhile, his effort to shut down the federal government (remember how well that worked out for the GOP the last time they tried it?) unless Obamacare is defunded prompted North Carolina Republican senator Richard Burr to call it "the dumbest idea I've ever heard." In multiple conversations with people who know Cruz well, I kept hearing the same refrain: "He's smart enough to know better."

Then again, maybe Cruz does know better. For a party in the midst of some serious soul-searching, Cruz offers a simple, reassuring solution: Forget the blather about demographic tidal waves and pleas for modernization; all Republicans need to do is return to their small-government, anti-tax fundamentals. "I don't know a conservative who didn't feel embarrassed voting in 2006 or 2008," Cruz told me -- a remark that's sure to endear him even more to McCain. "I think the Republican Party lost its way. We didn't stand for the principles we're supposed to believe in."

Should he run for president, in 2016 or beyond, Cruz's strategy will be to superglue himself to the conservative base and hope it carries him to the GOP nomination. It's been tried over and over since Reagan -- and it has failed every time. Just not enough wacko birds out there.

o

He still wears his Princeton ring. Does anyone here still wear a class ring? (Sounds like a topic Richard would introduce.) I sold both my high school and college rings for scrap when gold hit its high.

o

it has failed every time. Just not enough wacko birds out there.

I have to keep reminding myself of that fact--especially when the noise they make starts drumming away on my poor sensitive ears!

Kate

o

I'm truly sorry that several of you have met people who claimed to be "Texans". However, it appears they were masquerading. Up here in the Texas Panhandle most of us welcome and enjoy people from all over. You will always find some people everywhere who are just plain jerks! I know Lubbock is only 110 miles south of our place, but honestly folks, that is a totally different planet! LOL

If any of you ever come back to Texas, be sure and visit Amarillo. We really are pretty nice folks here.

Some of us here are currently taking up collections to bribe some place (the further away the better) to allow us to ship Pretty Boy Perry and What's His Face Cruz to them. We will not give them a Return Authorization sticker!!

o

Also, he's quite the elitist. While at Harvard Law School he refused to study with law students that weren't from first tier Ivy League schools. What a populist (snark). Of course, his TP cheerleaders dismiss this or refuse to listen to such stuff about their hero.

And yet he's not bright enough to know that being born in Canada confers on him Canadian citizenship.

o

Some of us here are currently taking up collections to bribe some place (the further away the better) to allow us to ship Pretty Boy Perry and What's His Face Cruz to them. We will not give them a Return Authorization sticker!!

Three cheers for Amarillo! I knew a state that produced Ann Richards, Molly Ivans, and Barbara Jordan had to have some good sensible people somewhere in it--and now we know. They are in Amarillo!!!!!

Hooray for Amarillo!

Kate (ex-Lubbockite)

o

Posted by terriks 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 20:27

.....And yet he's not bright enough to know that being born in Canada confers on him Canadian citizenship.

Exactly. That is what I thought.

~Ann

o

The Republican State Platform of Texas is as bilious now as it was in the last 2 elections ago with their BS moral fabric line!

o

I'm still snickering over "Pretty Boy Perry" and "What's His Face Cruz"!

Kate

o

I think its funny that he couldn't make the filibuster work for him the way Wendy Davis did here in the state house.

Ahem, Texas was only a moderately conservative, Democratic state until the major migrations from other states began in the 70s. So you know, it's like most finger pointing. There are three fingers pointing back at you.

o

Talk show and late night fodder.

And Jon Stewart once again made lemonade our of Cruz that lemon.

Was anyone awake during this ahem..speech? Besides the camera operators at C-Span who had to suffer through this in its entirety,and thankfully got paid to do so, did anyone else actually listen?

His epic speech included Ashton Kutscher's "inspiring tweets", Duck Dynasty, Star Wars, the aforementioned Green Eggs and Ham,... and of course, the obligatory Hilter reference and usual buzz words thrown in. Thankfully there is humor found in everything, including the pathetic.

o

Forgot about Ann Richards and Molly Irvins, two great women we lost too soon.

Does Cruz know that Dr. Seus was very liberal and almost all his books have a hidden liberal slant?

o

Dockside inadvertently misspelled, but I agree with it...

"Three words for Curz..."

I think "cur" does the trick nicely.

o

I don't know much about Ted Cruz and don't care.
I don't care where he is from and what he does because it doesn't make any difference.

But the comments here go far beyond what the man did or his stance, they are so mean, so petty and childish that it's hard to get my head around this type of behavior where it's not just a comment, it's a round robin of back patting for silly trash talk.

I'm going to enjoy the garden mist and leave you all to this activity.

I actually miss Kingturtle.

o

And home to...Stevie Ray Vaughn...

Thank goodness they were able to produce Stevie. Too bad his life was cut short. Way way too short.

I thought the only place I would ever consider going in Texas was Austin, but now I can add Amarillo to my list!

You're going to need to some really large donations! Going to take a LOT of $$ to get somewhere else to take them!

o

demi, I think trashing Ted Cruz is fine. It's the trashing Texas that bothers me. I don't trash California or Nevada just because fruitcakes like Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid live there.

o

Hunting season has begun here, and shortly, we'll start seeing the caravans of huge mobile vacation buses pulling trailers with four-wheelers and jeeps coming up from Texas to hunt the public lands in Colorado.

"Texas is the only state to join the United States by treaty. As an independent republic for 10 years, Texas owned all land within its borders not previously granted or sold-and that was about 2/3 of the present state. Texas also had a treaty-legal - though unenforceable - claim to about ¾ of New Mexico, the Oklahoma Panhandle, a little piece of the southwest corner of Kansas, nearly all of Colorado east of the Rockies and part of the Rockies themselves, and the area around Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Following the Mexican War, in exchange for ceding its claims to the lands in present New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, and Wyoming to the United States, Texas retained ownership of all unassigned land within the current borders of the state. Those lands were gradually sold or traded off.

In the 1880s the state deeded some 3,000,000 acres on the west edge of the panhandle to an out-of-state syndicate in exchange for building the current state capitol building in Austin. Those lands became the famous XIT ranch. - snip -

Much of the land was set aside to be sold to build and support a public university system in the state. Texas wisely retained half the mineral rights on the "school land," and when oil was discovered on it the University of Texas system became the richest state university system in the country.

By the mid-1920s nearly all the state-owned public land in Texas had been sold. Texas' first national park, Big Bend, had to be purchased from private owners.
-snip -
Texas' second national park, Guadalupe Mountains, on the New Mexico line about halfway between the panhandle and El Paso, was a private ranch that was deeded to the nation as a park.

What is now Padre Island National Seashore was so tied up in ownership disputes - my own family had a claim, having ranched on Padre for a brief period during the 1870s - that the only way to settle the disputes was to bring the place under federal ownership.
Fort Hood, near Killeen in the middle of the state - World's Largest Armor Post - was acquired by the government through eminent domain in the early 1940s. Originally established as a temporary post - Camp Hood - the terms of purchase allowed the ranchers who had owned the land to continue to pasture cattle on it (and some of their descendants still do.) If the fort is ever decommissioned, the heirs of the original owners have the right to repurchase their ancestral ranches at the price they were paid for the land when it was taken.

"National forests," in Texas, are "national" only in name. Texas' "national forests" are a hodgepodge of private farms, timber-company-owned land, state-owned land, and a little - very little - federally-owned land.

And that's why there is virtually no "public land" in Texas outside state and national parks." end quote

We see thousands of Texans up here every year, enjoying the national forests and BLM land - Colorado is about 35% public lands. And its why I live where I do.

Edited to add that one of the "platforms" of the corporate-owned grass roots tea-party movement is the privatization of public lands. Should be sold off to those who can afford it.

This post was edited by david52 on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 10:27

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 10:36

Cruz's antics and the public spanking he is getting from the GOP old dogs just adds weight to my prediction that the tea party will soon reject the GOP and run as a 3rd party in the 2016 election. After Hillary stomps both Christie and Cruz, Texas will start grumbling and toying with "secession" again with Cruz leading the way. His secret objective is to be king of his own country.....if the move to create the new nation of Texas fails then.............look out Canada!

o

Remember all the grief Obama got for his "foreign"name.?Do the teapeople know that Cruz's name is actually not Ted, but Rafael?

o

And, in addition to Rafael, his second name is Eduardo. Or was. It is now shown as Edward, so then he's called the very American, Ted, to deflect from the foreign (not American) name. I wonder if the tea-partiers will object to that foreign name like they have to our current president's? (A rhetorical question)

o

You mean, instead of Barak HUSSEIN Obama, they go with Raphael EDWARDO Cruz?

Somehow, it just doesn't have that .... j'en sais quoi.

I like "Ted Cruz (R) Calgary" myself.

o

In the fullness of time, Rafael Eduardo will resurface to curry the Latino demographic. I read something to the effect that the tea party is shrinking - or at least not growing with more people less likely to claim it as their affiliation.

o

Ted is a joke. Really? Ted from Eduardo? And they made fun of Barry?

o

Probably doesn't matter much; I don't think he's going anywhere beyond what he probably fears most... being stuck in the Senate...at least until 2018. If they still love him in Texas, maybe they'll elect him for a second term should he run.

Was thinking about the feasibility of "Resign to Run" - at least for the highest offices. Getting to spend years on the campaign trail shirking the job you were elected to do and all. Big loser Ryan slid right back into his House seat, etc. so I'm not saying there aren't precedents for luckless candidates having a fall back.

Edited to add that the idea sounds better than it might actually be - states saddled with the time and expense of special elections, appointments to fill vacancies etc.

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 16:10

o

Rafael Eduardo will resurface to curry the Latino demographic.

As far as Rafael, double the "f" and double the "l" and slap a vowel on the end -- either "e" or "o" -- and he's broadened his appeal to italo-americani as well. (Eduardo needs no change.)

For a complete transformation, Cruz becomes Croce.

o

Guess that could be said for any group- change it to Rachwal or Rafal Teodor Krzyz and win a vote or two in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, or Milwaukee.

o

Some people are really obsessed with race/ethnicity. I wonder if it's a generational thing. I'm younger than most of you, and I don't even think about it. Citizenship, yes.

o

Some people are really obsessed with race/ethnicity. I wonder if it's a generational thing.

It's a thing that the GOP has had problems with for years, and vows to correct after each election loss -- more outreach -- but never does.

Hope that answers your musings.

o

Hope that answers your musings.

Nah. Just part of the game. I am probably the same age, if not younger, than Elvis and I'm not blind to reality.

It doesn't matter what age one is to be able to recognize racism, veiled or blatant, especially when it smacks you in the face as we have seen many times, unless you want to pretend it isn't there.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 20:01

o

Evidently it's not racism to belittle someone of latino birth if he happens to be a republican. Oh the hypocrisy just drips off the pages of HT.

o

Evidently it's not racism to belittle someone of latino birth if he happens to be a republican. Oh the hypocrisy just drips off the pages of HT.

It is not racist to belitte an elected official who chose to make make a fool of himself. In this case he just happens to be a Republican and Latino. Many would have done the same if he was a white, Democrat or anyone else. A fool is a fool no matter what religion, color, creed,...

o

After years of Republican Birtherism, what goes around comes around.

o

FAKE.........

I want to see the bilingual version......

Mrs it its not about him being latino...it is a spoof on the absurdity of the birther carp

Oh and Elvis being as citizenship matters he holds Canadian citizenship...one of his few redeeming factors

o

I thought that he was Canadian by birth!!

~Ann

o

Epi: "It is not racist to belitte an elected official who chose to make make a fool of himself. In this case he just happens to be a Republican and Latino. Many would have done the same if he was a white, Democrat or anyone else...."

A comparison is being made here between Republican Latino and White Democrat. Latino is not a race. White is. If one is to present him/herself as a credible authority on racism, one must keep these things straight. Make up your mind, please.

"Explanation of Race and Hispanic Origin Categories

Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Internet Release date: September 15, 1999

The race and Hispanic origin categories used by the Census Bureau are mandated
by Office of Management and Budget Directive No. 15, which requires all
federal record keeping and data presentation to use four race categories
(White, Black, American Indian and Alaska Native, Asian and Pacific Islander)
and two ethnicity categories (Hispanic, non-Hispanic). These classifications
are not intended to be scientific in nature, but are designed to promote
consistency in federal record keeping and data presentation.

It is important to recognize that this system treats race and ethnicity as
separate and independent categories. This means that within the federal system
everyone is classified as both a member of one of the four race groups and also
as either Hispanic or non-Hispanic. Consequently, there are a total of 8
race-ethnicity categories, as illustrated by the table below:..."

Here is a link that might be useful: Latino is not a race: Census Bureau

o

Latino is not a race.

You just can't help yourself can you? At your age you should have learned self control years ago,

I believe that (almost) everyone understood my post..

No it is a classification and an identity. You might want to update yourself since some things have changed since 1999 including the census questionnaire. You can find the latest classifications online,

Instead of trolling the board, cutting and pasting dictionary definitions and parsing and critiquing other peoples posts do you have anything of your own and of any intelligence to add? If you past posts are any indication then we have the answer.

If one is to present him/herself as a credible authority on racism, one must keep these things straight. Make up your mind, please.

Who besides you claimed I was an :"authority"? Just another example of your nonsense and another asinine comment.

You do know that people have been banned from this board for behaving as you do...following people around simply to snark and adding nothing to discussions...don't you? If you don't, and you continue trolling you may just find yourself riding the teacups. :)

o

Epi: "Who besides you claimed I was an :"authority"? Just another example of your nonsense and another asinine comment.

You do know that people have been banned from this board for behaving as you do...following people around simply to snark and adding nothing to discussions...don't you? If you don't, and you continue trolling you may just find yourself riding the teacups. :)"

Kindly do submit my post and yours following (both just above) to the moderators. I welcome that.

o

Does it ever end?

, I didn't say I was going to the mod's. Elvis, I'm not you.
If I did I wouldn't cherry pick two posts to fit an agenda. I would send them the thread so they could read it in context.

There is no need for me to contact anyone if you keep this up. Your culmulative posts on so many threads over the short time you have been here tells your story. I am far from the only one who has called you out on your behavior.

What I have seen over the years I have been posting is that all the posters who continually behave like you have come and gone. If history repeats itself then it's just a matter of time if you keep it up. Feel free to carry on but don't be surprised when you eventually self-destruct as the others did. And you will have no one to blame but yourself.

Now please go play your games with someone else, or better yet, stop altogether and allow this board and this thread to continue on without your nonsense. We are here to discuss topics not to have our posts parsed or critiqued by you. We were all able to communicate just fine before you got here. Stop trying to provoke, it is against the board rules.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 2:35

o

If anyone is belittling Latinos, it's Ted Cruz himself, who is the one who abandoned his Spanish name, Rafael Eduardo, to become the more "American" Ted. He is the one who is sweeping his identity under the carpet.

o

"I thought that he was Canadian by birth!! "

He is Canadian by birth and he still holds his Canadian citizenship. He said he would renounce but there is no report that he actually has.

o

I couldn't find any report indicating that he had renounced his Canadian citizenship. Apparently there is more to doing that than just doing it.

According to this link, he needs to answer a few questions and provide proof that he qualifies to be an American. Wouldn't it be funny if he really doesn't qualify? That will certainly put a crimp in his desire to be President.

~Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Big defeat for Ted Cruz:

WASHINGTON -- The Senate has rejected an effort by young conservative senators to block a bill to avert a government shutdown on Tuesday.

Friday's 79-19 vote marks an emphatic defeat for Republican Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas and Mike Lee of Utah. Their effort has sparked opposition from Democrats and from many GOP lawmakers, who worry the tactic could prompt a federal shutdown for which Republicans would be blamed.

Cruz and Lee are backed by outside conservative groups and have been trying to block a House-approved budget bill.

o

The 19 brave men that voted Nay were:
Cruz
Rubio
Sessions
Vitter
Paul
Lee
Crapo
Enzi
Fischer
Roberts
Scott
Heller
Grassley
Toomey
Moran
Shelby
Risch
Inhofe
Portman
Anyone with the spirit of a sound mind would know that the fast-track to this country's demise will be the implementation of the ACA -- the vote today was not in any way threatening a gov. shutdown. Only the cowards thought that.

o

Oh, you're serious? When I first read that I thought you were being sarcastic.

Yes, yes, ACA is the coming of the zombie apocalypse, we know!

o

Anyone with the spirit of a sound mind would know that the fast-track to this country's demise will be the implementation of the ACA

Right, just like it was with social security.

Thanks for the laugh, brass_tacks!

o

Remember those names and vote them out of office next election. My very own teabagger was one of them.

o

Yes, Sen. Jerry Moran R-Kansas (one of the brave 19). Upset with John Kerry for signing the UN Trade Treaty.

The treaty regulates all conventional arms within the categories of battle tanks, armoured combat vehicles, large-calibre artillery systems, combat aircraft, attack helicopters, warships, missiles and missile launchers and small arms and light weapons.

Just a short step away from those black helicopters coming to shred the 2nd. Amendment and to take away your guns - you know, the small arms and light weapons; maybe the warship if your pool is big enough.

Sorry for tipping off topic. Cruise on back to Cruz.

o

Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 17:03

Yeah, the right wing nutz always complain about the UN as being weak, impotent, no guts, no power, and should be abolished. This one trade treaty turns that all around on it's head and now the UN will have the power and authority to disarm the US. The clown car just isn't big enough, scared little BS gun loving clowns...which includes Cruz to get back on topic....

o

He read Green Eggs and Ham.

Rachel Maddow: "In "Green Eggs and Ham," our protagonist thinks he dislikes food he hasn't tried. By the end, the character discovers green eggs and ham really aren't so bad after all. Indeed, he comes to regret criticizing something he didn't fully understand, and ends up celebrating the very thing he'd complained about so bitterly."

I had no clue he was Canadian!

o

Canadians would like that to be hidden or at least dispensed with.

Some of these folks fell out of a can of Chock Full O'Nuts. Cruz's momentary breather from talking cohort, Mike Lee, wanting a letter of marque and reprisal so that he can explore his true calling - becoming a pirate.

o

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 15:49

Remember those names and vote them out of office next election. My very own teabagger was one of them.

Thanks lily...the true face of the left. Disgusting.

o

Really, mrskjun? The "true face of the left"? It is disgusting that you would say about the rest of us even if you think it is true about one person.

o

mrsk - why are you trashing our system of governing? Voting for someone (or not) is the very basis of our constitutional system of government. And, advocating for, or against, the people running for office is a part of that.

You've never publicly stated your opinion re candidates? If not, fine. But to say doing such a thing is disgusting puzzles me. Surely you didn't mean it.

o

The Green Eggs and Ham thing was hysterical - that shows how little he understand what is coming out of his mouth.

Mr. Cruz has grabbed for every possible lever in his campaign against President Obama’s health law, fully aware that he will not succeed but eager for the accolades and donations that will inevitably follow from the Tea Party’s misguided faithful. In the process, he has demonstrated how little he understands Senate rules and, more important, how little he appreciates the public’s desire for a collaborative Congress.

He may be well educated, but he's got no common sense!

Mr. Cruz may love the spotlight, but, when it fades, he will find he was only speaking to himself.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

"Thanks lily...the true face of the left. Disgusting."

It was harsh to paint all the left with Lily's brush, Mrs.

o

Give me a break, mrsK and elvis(who always has to throw her snark in. Didn't epi peg you good?) You two know you will vote for anyone of them who represents you if they're on the list.

By the way, maybe you teabaggers can tell me. Why is the affordable care act much higher in favorable statistics than Obamacare? When asked to the same group of people? Hmmm. Maybe because even if Obama found a cure for cancer, the Right would ask why it wasn't sooner. He had a phone conversation with the president of Iran, and the right wingnut who is the new voice for local talk radio, dissed him for that.

o

I disagree with the spirit of this thread! I read the ideas people have about a man, but I don't read their ideas on the content of his message. I listened to Ted Cruz, along with Sessions, Enzi, Inhofe, Rubio, and a few of other senators for all but about five hours. Trying to gain support by telling some truths to offset the lies being told by the President and his supporters -- is nothing but brave. These brave men knew they would take a lot of heat for their nerve.
My heart is so sad -- thinking of all these young men and women who just don't know how they are ever going to 'make it'. Not everyone has a family to live with, and some have others depending on them. Bullying us into having to purchase something we don't want (the reasons shouldn't matter) is wrong AND unconstitutional. That should mean so much to us! I have a truly hard time understanding anyone that doesn't understand what freedom is. This Obamacare is a huge, huge chunk of freedom to let go of -- and will ruin this country in so many ways -- ways I have not even imagined -- and try not to. Just why should anyone have to pay a penalty if they don't purchase health insurance. No matter if they can afford it or not, this law is not constitutional and we all know it.

o

You call me that disgusting term again lily, and you and I are going to have a very big problem.

This is Approval of the Health Care Law....not Obamacare.

o

" Bullying us into having to purchase something we don't want (the reasons shouldn't matter) is wrong AND unconstitutional. "

The Supreme Court of the United States disagrees with you.

o

Hey, I don't want car insurance either ... but I have to have it.

o

You have to have it to protect either the finance company or the other guy. Once you don't owe the finance company, you can drop your comprehensive, your choice. Nobody is going to make you keep it, or fine you if you don't.

o

really? You don't have to carry liability car insurance in the States?

So if you destroy someones elses car or cause them injury...too bad so sad for the other guy?

o

I have other insurance - an umbrella policy, one could say that it can be used to cover the other guy.

But think about health insurance - it protects the taxpayer from having to cover your bills if you go flat broke and can't pay your bills. Or should we just let you die and deny you any coverage that you can't pay for? Somehow that never happens.

o

chase, before you are so quick to jump on my post...go back and reread what I said. Jeesh!

o

mrs, I am not jumping on your post I am asking a legitimate question.

I know you said comprehensive but to me that includes collision and liability.

o

chase, comprehensive protects the finance company. Liability protects the other guy. Once you no longer owe money to the finance company, you can drop your comprehensive coverage, but you must maintain liability.

esh, the taxpayers are going to be subsidizing insurance for those that don't have it now...millions of people according to Obama. What's the difference? How many do you think can pay a 5,000.00 deductible in the first place. How many can pay the co-pay, and pay the premiums as well? Businesses see the writing on the wall, and they are running for cover.

o

i guess the terms are different here.

We have comprehensive ( fire, theft etc. ) collision (auto damage) and liability. The first two , comprehensive and collision are optional dependent upon financing arrangements

However, the point remains that liability insurance is mandatory under the law which is the point that esh was making.

o

The taxpayers might be subsidizing insurance premiums for some people that don't have it now, but not all of them. Some of them will pay for their own.

And subsidizing a premium is a lot different that subsidizing a person's quarter of a million dollar hospital bill .... Taxpayers will end up paying less in the end.

o

esh, do you think if a person can't afford to pay insurance premiums, that they will be able to pay a 5,000.00 deductible and a 40 to 60 dollar copay? I somehow doubt that. These same people will still end up in the emergency room .

o

And those people will now be covered...

o

About a third of the country's emergency rooms have disappeared in the past decade - because uninsured people show up and don't pay their bills. The hospitals go broke if they keep their ER's open. Trauma doctors need to eat and pay rent as well.

But hey, thats just a small inconvenience for the rest of us, eh?

o

this law [Affordable Health Care law] is not constitutional and we all know it.

Wrong. "We" don't know that--quite a few of "us" don't.

And the "we" I belong to includes the conservative-leaning Supreme Court which has made it clear that it thinks the law is constitutional. My "we" also includes the majority of the voters out there.

Your t-party group that insists the law is unconstitutional is not only a minority of the voting public--it is a quite SMALL minority, truth be told.

Kate

o

MrsK, I didn't call YOU a teabagger. I thought at one time you denied you were. Hmmmm

o

Funny how, with some here, when terms are used that are offensive to others it is not their problem....it is the problem of those taking offense.

Yet those same people rail when they think they are being offended.

o

So, a person, such as the man photographed below, should be called "A gentleman with a tri-corner hat onto which is attached a tea bag" "

No nicknames allowed as sensitive conservatives might take offense.

o

You libs were offended by BO and you want to say teab@@@@@ is not so over the top offensive? wow

o

Mrs, did you stand up and say that BO was offensive and agree not to use it? Did you stop using a term I found offensive even when asked nicely?

Pot and kettle.......

o

Check the other forum ,K. Teabaggers called themselves that. Give it UP!!!

o

•Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 13:02

"Funny how, with some here, when terms are used that are offensive to others it is not their problem....it is the problem of those taking offense.
Yet those same people rail when they think they are being offended."

C'mon Chase. You know that works both ways. We're doing the nah--nah-nah-nah stuff now. I think this thread's finally toast.

o

A very interesting read...

Here is a link that might be useful: Of Teabags and Such...

o

Another interesting read going back to a 2010 article from Crooks & Liars.

Would have been monumental so see Monica Crowley and Megyn Kelly together; you'd almost have to regard Michelle Malkin as a voice of reason!

Here is a link that might be useful: Days of whine and roses

o

"C'mon Chase. You know that works both ways."

Elvis, please go back and re read what I posted . I did not refer to any "side" .

o

chase you have got to be kidding. Are you in any way comparing the chosen one to teab@@@@@@? Look up both of them on the urban dictionary, and then tell me what is offensive.

o

Look up both of them on the urban dictionary

Is the urban dictionary now the ultimate source? Like Wikipedia the information is submitted by readers. Neither is the foremost authority on anything.

www.urbandictionary.com/‎
A veritable cornucopia of streetwise lingo, posted and defined by its readers.

The UD has 10 pages of various definitions of Teabagger and only 2 definition of chosen one, neither include Obama. It is only the rignt wing fundies who have labeled him as such and then others like yourself ran with so you are comparing apples and oranges.

Every standard dictionary gives several definitions of the term teabaggers including Dictionary.com, Merriam,...and even the Urban. These definitions include: those of the upper class who participate in racing, the sexual definition and that those that support the tea party movement are sometimes referred to as such including by themselves. David Nussbaum for one self-identifies as such so not everyone in the party is offended by the label as you are.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 16:43

o

Mrs, are you asking me to decide what is more offensive? If so to whom? You? Are only terms offensive to you truly offensive?

o

Another hijack by mrsk and now we are bogged down in urban dictionary terms. Any chance we can return to the absurdity of the Texas crackpot trying to defund the Affordable Care Act?

Now the Repubs want to hold it off for a year. I hope the Dems and the few sensible Repubs wipe the floor with them.

o

"C'mon Chase. You know that works both ways."
Elvis, please go back and re read what I posted . I did not refer to any "side" .

Yes; I knew that. It's not about you, Chase.

o

Nope, it's about me it seems. lily used a most offensive term ,"you teab@@@@@@", which is perfectly fine if you are of the liberal persuasion, but let someone call Obama BO, and there will be 150 posts about the offensiveness of it...right pidge? And no one will be called out for hijacking a thread.

o

mrsk, I am not going to be deflected into your squabble with lily. I have never called you an offensive term and I never will. The end.

o

Oh mrskjun you just don't get it~

Using a man's initials to refer to him is offensive.

Referring to conservatives as people who dangle their genitals over someone else's mouth is not.

o

So here's the latest from whackadoodle Cruz: he wants Republicans to filibuster against defunding the Affordable Care Act before they can vote to do exactly that. He makes one's head spin with the twisty-turny "logic" that he promotes. But what does he care? He's building a big e-mail base and piling up the $$$ from the tea party loony-tunes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cruz's double-bind

o

As reported above, the word has many definitions and I can't help your minds are in the gutter. I had no idea the sexual meaning of that among all the other definitions, but if that's where you want to go, fine.

By the way , mrsK , I never called you personally a teabagger. Are you a member of the Tea party? I thought one time , you said you were not.

o

Referring to conservatives as people who dangle their genitals over someone else's mouth is not.

Good metaphor for what Ted Cruz is doing to this country.

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 19:30

o

from demi in her usual denunciation of those who do not share her point ot view:

Using a man's initials to refer to him is offensive.

The origin of the term "tea bagger" to refer to members of the Tea Party lies with -- drum roll -- the Tea Party!

Maybe we could put this irrelvant lunacy behind us and get back to the actual and very dangerous lunacy of Ted Cruz?

Here is a link that might be useful: yes, they coined the term themselves.

o

Ah, so then it appears the Tea Party owes us all an apology for having literally advocated sodomizing liberals with tea bags.

The vulgarity of liberals calling them "Tea Baggers" to make fun of the double entendre can hardly be compared to their reason for choosing to self identify with the term in the first place.

o

History of this board has shown that no matter how many times this fact, or many others, are posted tjey will continue to be ignored and the same old bogus claims , misinformation and faux outrages will be displayed. We are almost guaranteed that It will happen again.

o

Oh look, another "gentleman with multiple teabags attached to his hat"

o

Heres a "woman with multiple tea bags attached to her hat"

o

Another "woman with multiple tea bags attached to her hat"

o

And, epi, do not look for those who claim otherwise to acknowledge their error.

o

What a waste of tea.

o

There are tea party members who glue loose English Breakfast and Earl Grey teas to their hats, avoiding the potential misunderstanding that they might be uppity socialist Europeans should the tea bag labels be read by those unfamiliar with the wide spread popularity of these two blends, here in the US.

o

Do you think there is enough profit in the health insurance and "care" industry to buy some Congressmen passing themselves off as ideologues?

o

David Shuster, filling in for MSNBC loose-cannon Keith Olbermann on his April 13 broadcast, and his writers probably thought they were pretty clever when they pieced an item denigrating the tax protests by using the sexual term “teabagging.” Urbandictionary.com, cited multiple times by one MSNBC guest, describes it as when a man places his testicles “onto someone’s face, or into their mouth.”

And thank you for the pictures. As you can see it is teabags, and not scrotums that the Tea Party is wearing.

o

What a waste of tea.

:)

David, it looks like good ole made in America bags from Lipton so they aren’t wasting the good stuff and woe to those who use Gunpowder tea. ;)

Indeed Pidge, and then they characterize those who continually debunk the same misinformation over and over again as "angry liberals" simply because they are not able to differentiate between anger and frustration.

No need to disguise the word, it isn't banned anywhere and as I posted in the other thread while some may find it offensive there are many others who proudly self-identify as one.

Much ado about nothing, just trying to deflect from the embarrassment of Cruz, and the important issue of affordable health care as well as continuing to perpetuate the myths in a feeble attempt at supporting their agenda.

Urbandictionary.com, cited multiple times

FGS, Urban Dictionary has 64 entries from the general public some crass, other ridiculous and others spot on.. Many more of those address the idiocy of the Tea Party than the sexual connotation.

Mrsk, you shouldn't plagarize other people's words verbatim without giving credit. Your post is from one of several online sites/blogs. Newsbusters.com, Freerepublic.com and others.have your post word for word.

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 pages of the definition of teabagger. Anyone can add their own.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 20:21

o

The calling of the president by his initials was meant to be derogatory. When the presidents are mentioned by their initials, it's always three...JFK, LBJ,FDR, GWB. MrsK ,name one other who was referred to by two initials. Why not call Obama BHO? Because BO means body odor. That's the teabaggers little dig.

o

He signs his tweets bo. You need to inform him how offensive he is being.

o

Well can you imagine ! A thread with Canada in the title approaching the 150 maximum . Who would have thought?

Oh, yeah it's not about Canada...actually it's not about anything.

o

Every politician deserves a chance to show his/her mettle. Sometimes it helps them and they rocket to well-deserved attention. I'm afraid that Ted Cruz is going nowhere besides the little pond (Tea Party) that he is swimming in now. What he's doing will not endear him to the rest of the nation, no matter how big of a fish he gets to be in his pond.

Canadian or not. :)

o

Let it go, mrsk. You are making yourself look ridiculous.

esh et al: I agree. I fully expect Cruz to fizzle within a year despite the efforts of his "base" to propel him to higher office. You can't just keep saying dumb things to sensible people without falling on your face. I look at Bachmann, Santorum, etc., and see Cruz's future. They still talk a lot but only a few diehards listen.

o

Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:16

BHO...yes, the TP did so used to Love the "H" part.
Some of the T-partiers in those pics looked like they steeped a bit too long.

o

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 2:07

The calling of the president by his initials was meant to be derogatory. When the presidents are mentioned by their initials, it's always three...JFK, LBJ,FDR, GWB. MrsK ,name one other who was referred to by two initials. Why not call Obama BHO? Because BO means body odor. That's the teabaggers little dig.

How childish--"body odor."

I recall posters being EXCORIATED for referring to the "Hussein" in Barack Obama's name.

So some shortened to BO in order NOT to offend anyone.
Then some junior high mentality comes up with yet one more way to try and shoot at the feet of anyone referring to Barack Obama as they have other Presidents, by their initials.

Ridiculous, petty, and a typical liberal mindset and Saul Alkinsky kindergarten tactics.

Now, knowing that the tea party people felt pride in the original tea party rebellion and hung tea bags from their hats, etc. was just too good to be true, wasn't it?

So their momentum had to be minimized and the gross and offensive term (which I didn't know of until the last few years and probably many tea party members did not know either, but plenty of liberals and liberal talk show hosts and celebrities definitely were familiar with) is using with childish glee.

But, we have an arrogant, petulant and childish president so I'm not surprised that some of his most ardent supporters attempt to emulate him in his arrogance, petulance and pettiness.

o

So some shortened to BO in order NOT to offend anyone.

Pretty sure that was not why they shortened it. "Not offending anyone" is not high on conservatives' list of what to do ....

o

The Hussein thing was and still is used widely. So the left should start with Raphael Edwardo Cruz. Give them the REAL name of their wacko hero. Does Trump want to see HIS birth certificate?

Answer MY question , which president was only known by TWO initials?

Second laugh of the day was Demi saying they dropped the middle name so as not to offend...lol lol

o

"How childish--"body odor."

I recall posters being EXCORIATED for referring to the "Hussein" in Barack Obama's name.

So some shortened to BO in order NOT to offend anyone."

That settles it, for me. I've always referred to the president as "President Obama" or "the president." From now on, it's "BHO" for me. Thanks y'all, for setting me straight; love those acronyms, don't you? BTW, I can say "BO" with a straight face.

o

Just two more posts before this absurd discussion can come to an end...

Everyone knows that BO is often used to be deliberately derogatory and everyone knows that teabaggers is often used to be deliberately derogatory.......

o

Methinks -or generally thought - the use of BO was a thinly veiled attempt at being disrespectful.

Part II will go on to rail against the use of "Shrub" or "Dubya" as equally thinly veiled. Those just don't seem to smack as much of the pejorative as BO in certain contexts appears to be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here