Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
$250,000 makes you "middle income"...

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 13:01

...in Mitt's Universe

LOL. I guess that means WE are all low income poor people.

I guess when you are worth $250 million...... I don't know what to say, I'm just flabbergasted at how clueless this statement is.

Here is a link that might be useful: We are all poor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: $250,000 makes you "middle income"...

Wow... that places me WAY lower on the totem pole than I thought I was. In his world, I don't even survive.

o

I'm sure that many Americans will be thrilled to know that , under a Romeny administration , anyone earning less than 200k a year is no longer considered middle class.

This of course explains Romney's stated commitment to the middle class.
He has now confirmed publicly that means anyone making 200k our more....nice.

Even though he believes this , it's a way stupid thing to say. More of those brilliant handlers doing a stellar job. They just gave the Obama campaign a huge gift......

o

Actually it's wise than I thought he said middle INCOME not middle class....unbelievable.

o

I'm not even going to question where Romney gets his ideas - let alone the balls to state them out loud.

Taking a narrow view - reflected on the 2010 census, those claiming middle class status are said to have a mean annual household income of $46, 829. (Middle class mean average yearly income stated as being between $36,000 and $57,657.)

o

Well when you live in your sons basement your expenss are lower.

o

His definition pretty much matches Obama's.

o

His definition pretty much matches Obama's.

Nope that is the set amount that would be taxed at the lower rate. It is not said to be THE middle class.

The 250 was set as what small business income would be. Not middle class family income.

o

Take your choice - an article or a Youtube of Obama speaking the words.

Here is a link that might be useful: Middle class

o

jmc...I don't think that is accurate. The President has continually said he would not increase taxes on the middle class but that he would on those making over 250K. By default that means he considers the middle class as those making less than a COMBINED family income of 250K.

o

In the link, Romney stated to George Stephanopoulos, who asked the Massachusetts Governor if he considered someone earning $100,000 as being "middle income".

"No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000 and less," Mr Romney replied.

I don't see a small business qualifier in there.

o

I don't see a small business qualifier in there

Because I follow both party platform. My understanding is the 250.000 qualifier has been discussed as the tax base to consider small business it has been President Obama's position since 2008.

It was discussed during McCain and presently with Romney campaign. The 250,000 is a income set to take in to consideration of Small business not that it is a middle income base. So if you use 250 you would not hit the small business Mom and Pop businesses. Not that it is fundamentally considered middle class income as a whole.

Because Romney is out of touch that is a nuance that he cannot relate. or His rhetoric is to dumb down the explanation for his base.

To make decisions it has been helpful for me to hear both long and short spoken, and written positions on policies. Through newspapers, internet, debates, Conventions of both parties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Business

o

I guess when you're born into money, trying to see another world view that doesn't include that money would be tough.

Talk about not bothering to even look at another man's shoes, let alone step into one for a brief moment... typical, though it is.

Gosh, I wish I could remember a time when being poor meant living off dividends larger than any annual salary I've ever made.

o

Romney lacks the capacity to relate to the very Americans who will have to cast their vote for him in order for him to win this election.

And for most, that vote will be voting a man into office who has already stated that his primary interest will be in increasing defense funding (War! Which means job creation! Less unemployment!) and taking great care with the financial interests of the wealthy, it would absolutely would be

*a vote against the vast majority of the average American's own best interest, especially for women*.

That his average American supporters can't absorb this fact is simply another terrible indictment against our already deeply degraded public educational system.

o

Who promised us that couples earning $250,000 or less wouldn't see a dime in new taxes?

o

I've only heard that said as it relates to income tax.

Even Romney advocates increased taxation by closing loopholes and redoing the tax code.

One way or the other the taxes you pay will go up. You have lived off the trough for way to long.

o

"One way or the other the taxes you pay will go up."

Yep. Obama's promise to the contrary wasn't worth a damn. When he said taxes "wouldn't go up a dime" for couples earning $250,000 per year, conservatives knew it was propaganda. Libs lapped it up like good little puppies.

o

Chase, according to multiple news services, Obama and Romney are saying the same thing.

Nikoleta, no matter who is elected president, loopholes are going away. that does NOT equate to a change in tax rate.

o

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 16:41

"One way or the other the taxes you pay will go up."

Yep. Obama's promise to the contrary wasn't worth a damn. When he said taxes "wouldn't go up a dime" for couples earning $250,000 per year, conservatives knew it was propaganda. Libs lapped it up like good little puppies.

I certainly don't recall Barack Obama saying only INCOME taxes wouldn't go up.

I certainly don't recall Barack Obama mentioning he was only referring to increases and the $250,000 as businesses.

Please--where was this stated?

The health care bill alone will raise taxes on many Americans. Heck, the requirement that everyone has to have health insurance is a tax--the U.S. Supreme Court has deemed it so!

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 19:39

Who was it - oh, GHWB, who said "read my lips, no new taxes."

Any politician who thinks he/she can keep the promises they make doesn't deserve to be elected to anything, not even dog catcher.

It's easy for politicians to make promises, but when reality hits, taxes may have to go up. No one can predict the future, so it's naive to think that the promises made by either Mr. Romney or President Obama are engraved in stone. And anyone who throws these promises up to say they weren't kept is just showing how gullible and easily led they are.

o

"I certainly don't recall Barack Obama saying only INCOME taxes wouldn't go up."

He didn't.

"I certainly don't recall Barack Obama mentioning he was only referring to increases and the $250,000 as businesses."

He wasn't.

Please--where was this stated?"

Nowhere. What he DID say is right here, straight from his own lips.

"Who was it - oh, GHWB, who said "read my lips, no new taxes.""

Yep. Remember what it got for him? One term and a butt kicking to the curb.

"One and Done."

Here is a link that might be useful: In his own words...

o

The way some of you are phrasing this doesn't jibe with the way I've heard Obama talk about taxes since 2012, but I can't remember the exact phrases Obama used--it just wasn't quite what is being said above. I wish someone would come by and correctly state Obama's position--correctly, as in NOT MANGLED BY NEWS REPORTERS (which is what is being cited above). I'm too tired right now to go searching for Obama's actual words and explanations.

Kate

o

Well according to the democrates I heard on TV last night, one of them being Tavis Smiley and the other fella I don't know who he was. They were telling Bill O'Reilly that they thought minimum wage should be $20 an hour. So if that is the case, the middle class would be making $250,000. So Mr. Romney was stating the truth based on what democrates are putting out there.

o

GGM....how many hours a week would one have work at $20 an hour to make 250k a year?

o

Sorry for the sentence structure. It's difficult for me to type while shaking my head in total disbelief........

o

GGM....how many hours a week would one have work at $20 an hour to make 250k a year?

I wondered the same thing. Someone needs remedial math!

o

My calculations were based on the middle class making 2 times as much as the unskilled laborers who would be making the $20 an hour and in a two person household with benefits added, a couple's gross income could easily be $250,000. I'm adding benefits after the salary as my employer does.

I see a few need some remedial classes in manners when one can't respond to another poster without insulting or demeaning them. What's up with that? Is that really necessary? Wouldn't a simple "how did you come to that calculation" have sufficed?

o

and the other fella I don't know who he was.

Probably Dr. Cornell West if they were talking about their Poverty Tour 2.0.

o

The argument is about...what?

..BOSTON (AP) Mitt Romney is promising to reduce taxes on middle-income Americans.

"But how does he define "middle-income"? The Republican presidential nominee defined it as income of $200,000 to $250,000 a year.

Romney commented during an interview broadcast Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

The Census Bureau reported this week that the median household income, the midpoint for the nation, is just over $50,000.

The definition of "middle income" or the "middle class" is politically charged. Both presidential candidates are fighting to win over working-class voters.

President Barack Obama has defined "middle class" as income up to $250,000 a year.

Obama wants to extend Bush-era tax cuts for those making less than $250,000. Romney wants to extend the tax cuts for everyone."

o

OK GGM , by your calculations in order to be middle class you must be part of a couple, both of who work, both of whom earn at least $40 an hour and, assuming a 40 hour paid work week with no time off, and you have approximately 75K in employee paid benefits ANNUALLY.

No wonder it is said the American middle class is disappearing!!!!

o

Gotta love the teabagger math.

o

"The way some of you are phrasing this doesn't jibe with the way I've heard Obama talk about taxes since 2012, but I can't remember the exact phrases Obama used--it just wasn't quite what is being said above."

The EXACT phrases Obama used are mere a click away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Not one dime! I promise!!!

o

Bears repeating, now that you are awake:

Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 1:27

The argument is about...what?

..BOSTON (AP) Mitt Romney is promising to reduce taxes on middle-income Americans.

"But how does he define "middle-income"? The Republican presidential nominee defined it as income of $200,000 to $250,000 a year.

Romney commented during an interview broadcast Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

The Census Bureau reported this week that the median household income, the midpoint for the nation, is just over $50,000.

The definition of "middle income" or the "middle class" is politically charged. Both presidential candidates are fighting to win over working-class voters.

President Barack Obama has defined "middle class" as income up to $250,000 a year.

Obama wants to extend Bush-era tax cuts for those making less than $250,000. Romney wants to extend the tax cuts for everyone."

o

And the math of his sketchy proposal says what? It's pretty sketchy it doesn't work despite the studies he cites.
FOR you republicrazies one of your own boys Bruce Bartlett will tell you no lies the math stinks!

o

My calculations were based on the middle class making 2 times as much as the unskilled laborers who would be making the $20 an hour and in a two person household with benefits added, a couple's gross income could easily be $250,000. I'm adding benefits after the salary as my employer does.

greatgolly are you saying your employer adds your benefits i.e. health insurance, sick days to your gross income on your pay stub as reported to the IRS as taxable income?

o

The way to answer this kind of argument is - ok, if $20 an hour for unskilled labor is too high, how much do the Republicans running for office think the minimum wage should be, in actual dollars per hour, and not settle for some BS bromide about what the market will bear.

$3.29?

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 17:51

"$250,000 makes you "middle income"...

Dang, under Romney I'll qualify for food stamps.

Mitt Romney 2012
If you liked Obama...

o

"Mr Romney, who co-founded Bain Capital and is estimated to be worth $200m, said a cornerstone of his efforts to get a "balanced budget" in the US is to get more people to pay tax."

Well, he might begin with people in his own bracket, who have gotten a HUGE break for way too long, now.

With an unemployment rate hovering somewhere around 8%, usage of public programs up quite a bit, a drought and crop failure this year which will add to the negative balance, the economy not quite where it should be yet, and a ton of homeless floating about, I don't think it will serve his purposes to look to the middle and lower income citizens and families to support the nation through taxes... while so many corporations and other extremely high earners are still paying Bush era lowered taxes, not to mention receiving monstrous chunks in subsidies, that should end... what a gigantic untapped revenue source those 2 things alone would make!

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 18:09

"Mr Romney, who co-founded Bain Capital and is estimated to be worth $200m, said a cornerstone of his efforts to get a "balanced budget" in the US is to get more people to pay tax."

Well, he might begin with people in his own bracket

Curious.

I would think one would BEGIN with those that don't pay a THIN DIME to pay at least a token amount first, before asking others to contribute more.

But it is quite possible to address this in an overhaul of the tax code, with no deductions, no "loopholes," and EVERYONE--upper, lower, and middle, paying their fair share.

Fair doesn't mean someone else constantly carrying the load for others, no matter how much money they make--and just because they make more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here