Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Was CNN right or wrong?

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 13:37

CNN reported from Ambassador Stevens journal which they found four days after his murder. Personally I have mixed feelings about this. If it was so important, why didn't the State Dept. use more diligence in retrieving items from the embassy. It could have been found and reported on by anyone. Then there is respect for Stevens family, though I don't think the journal was so personal.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Was CNN right or wrong?

Wouldn't Stevens journal be considered personal effects
to go to his family?

Even if it wasn't personal like a diary it was still his thoughts, his observations.

I am putting myself in the families position.
CNN was waaaaaaay out of line.

What a terrible invasion of privacy to see and hear
this on TV first.
Out of property that belonged to the family in my opinion.

o

I think CNN was wrong.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 14:16

I think they were wrong, terribly, unethically wrong. The State Department and US Military might not have been allowed in to the Embassy, while a reporter might have sneaked in and rummaged around, like CNN/Anderson Cooper seem to have done. Since CNN found it first, they should have immediately turned it over to the State Department. Personal, professional, it doesn't matter, it was wrong.

This really stinks.

o

Wrong, on just so many levels. Never have been a fan of CNN. Even less so now in - and at the very least - breaking an agreement with the Ambassador's family regarding the contents of the journal.

o

I think CNN was definitely wrong in this. .

o

I don't know; does a dead person, who died in a public place and in a very public way as a public servant on public property, have a reasonable expectation of privacy?

Was this journal in the business area of the consulate or in a personal residence area? If in the office, you could make an argument that this is a matter of public record and is a public paper.

Was the journal personal or was it a notebook of thoughts and memoranda regarding official business?

If this journal/diary calls into question the inability of the State Department to recognize and assess threats, I can see why the State Dept might want to hush it up and take pre-emptive action by calling the situation "disgusting".

On the other hand, privacy is one of those rights that trump pretty much everything else (IMO), so it should be given as much priority as possible.

Still, I think this comes down to whether or not it was a truly personal journal or if it was a business journal, located in an area where public business is conducted.

It's a tough call.

o

It was unethical for CNN to do what they did. Regarding the journal, if it was at Embassy one would assume he was writing it during work hours, therefore it belongs to the State Dept and they should have turned it over immediately.

o

I feel sorry the family & that their wishes were not followed the State Dept is most certainly at fault for not protecting a crime scene (very sloppy).
Vultures are vultures & CNN in their sacred effort to get the news right are pursuing something that sometimes looks like journalism when when they aren't doing Anderson Cooper chuckle fests!
The right wing blogs are offering more gruesome fare!

o

Nothing that the "media" presents surprises me any more.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 19:48

Wrong!

o

They were wrong.

o

CNN was wrong. No matter how they obtained the ambassador's journel, publishing it is ethically wrong. This is another example of how our expectations of privacy have been invaded & run over. All of the media is guilty of this & we encourage it by reading, watching, listening to this stuff. Enough - just stop supporting it & let all of the media know you won't support it.

o

I'm still not clear on how CNN "found" the journal. I think it should have been turned over to the family right after CNN made a copy. I would rather have the ambassador speaking for himself through his diary, than rely on this State Department for information. It let out people down and it's trying to cover its own rear end.

By the way, if it's true Chris Stevens was gay, that would have made him an even more desirable target to Islamists. What was the State Department thinking by leaving him with so little protection?

o

Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 10:35

You. Are. Kidding.

Your comments are as offensive as what CNN did.

Here is a link that might be useful: More wingnut propoganda

o

Thanks, Momj. Nik is really in tight with the tea-bag conspiracy network.

o

Of course they should publish (if they chose to do so) - I am told it is their First Amendment Right.

Naked princesses, inflammatory racist movies, dead ambassadors diaries - why bother to moan about morals or ethics if you won't stop it anyway?

Best wishes
Jon

o

Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 13:09

Hmm... I don't think the "naked" princess was us.

o

"I'm still not clear on how CNN "found" the journal."

Probably reporters, especially those who can get you and your cohorts on international television, have a lot more freedom of movement there than any State Dept security personnel. They probably let reporters into the building.

I doubt the State Department could get any security into that area in order to remove sensitive documents. They probably couldn't get within 50 miles of the place.

Either way, do you think the State Dept would have returned the journal to the family, assuming they could have obtained it? Or would they say it contained classified information and keep it, not returning it to his family. Is that different?

The question is: does a dead person have privacy rights? If he was living, it would have been an outright invasion of personal property and personal privacy. But he is dead and the journal was there for anyone to see. [I wonder if it was out in the open.] We don't even know if the journal was intended to be very personal and private, or if it was just mostly mundane notes about the job.

I think CNN was smarmy, but assuming the journal wasn't copyrighted, it may not be that cut and dried.

o

What CNN did was wrong.
What Nik wrote is disgraceful. More of her wingnut nonsense.

o

I cannot even begin to get my head around what Nik posted.

The garbage she spouts had no basis in fact and is so incredibly disrespectful of a man who served his country so well. The way she has used his death to forward her agenda is disgraceful in my view.

To suggest that a post as an Ambassador should be denied to a person based on their sexual orientation is absurd. This is the post this man wanted and one for which he was well qualified for. He knew the risks and the call was his and his alone.

I also believe that the Ambassador was totally capable of assessing the risks and could have beefed security up if he felt threatened.....he didn't.

Anyhow, as far as I'm concerned Nik and her ilk are more disrespectful to their Ambassador than the vastvast majority of Lybians are.

o

"Either way, do you think the State Dept would have returned the journal to the family, assuming they could have obtained it? Or would they say it contained classified information and keep it, not returning it to his family. Is that different?"

Good question, Lionheart. I'm guessing the State Department would have kept it, and wouldn't have had to worry about its narrative being challenged by what the ambassador had actually written. What do you think?

To those "offended" that Chris Stevens may have been gay, that is entirely your problem. Deal with it. Google is your friend.

Whether our ambassador was gay, or perceived as gay, it's another reason the State Department should have had Marines protecting him. They sent him to a part of the world where even the perception would have put him at greater risk.

o

Just WOW..

o

Offended that he was, or may have been gay......who even suggested such a thing? Are you suggesting being Gay is offensive?

o

Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 16:31

Offended that YOU ACCUSE him of being gay. Your comment is so out of bounds. That is just breathtaking.

Maybe we shouldn't have a woman as Secretary of State, either. The perception of Secretary Clinton being a woman, might put her at risk in the Muslim world.

o

the more I think of Nik's statements the more outrageous they are!!!

It's AOK for Americans to produce hateful videos disparaging Islam BUT it's not OK for Americans to post Gay people in Islamic countries because it offends their values.....

I have no idea what has happened in the US but it surely is no longer the country it was. So divided, so judgmental, so extreme......just like the other guys.

o

Offended that YOU ACCUSE him of being gay

"Accuse" is a strange word to use to describe the reference to one's sexual orientation.

In fact, it's downright offensive.

One's sexual preference is nothing to be "accused" of.

o

I feel icky even posting in this thread now, after such a blatant display of conjecture..

But I do want to echo Jon's sarcasm at how broken the ethical and moral compasses of so many seem to be. What the hell has happened to our discretion? Where's our common sense and our sense of decency? What about our self respect, or our respect for others?

The US hits new lows daily, and it borders on embarrassment at times to claim it as my country. Good grief.

Where do Anderson Cooper and the sexual orientation of the late Ambassador even enter the issue? I don't see either mentioned outside this thread. As far as I'm aware, Anderson Cooper and CNN are currently on the outs. And I have no idea how Nik made such a connection... but I'm incensed by it.

When you start "reporting", using such things as personal journals stolen from crime scenes, you look more like the National Enquirer than any real news media, and you totally throw all respect you had right out the window. Since CNN started to fall toward the right, I haven't been a follower... but I have a modicum of respect for Anderson Cooper, and I can't believe his name is in any way connected with this story. I'd have to see him actually admit to that on one of his shows to believe it's not just some rumor from the rightwing mill.

o

"Accuse" is a strange word to use to describe the reference to one's sexual orientation.In fact, it's downright offensive."

So true, Demi. At least the left has finally shown some outrage. No, not over Chris Stevens' death. No, not over his being left an easy mark by his own negligent government.

No, the "tolerant" left is now enraged at the mere mention Chris Stevens may have been gay. Chase fumes "...BUT it's not OK for Americans to post Gay people in Islamic countries because it offends their values....."

Chase imagines being gay presents a problem only for the unenlightened. Whizzing completely over her head is any awareness or acknowledgement of the danger it would have posed to HIM if Islamists ever got their hands on him. Which they did. All because his superiors naively chose not to protect him as they could have.

Not one person has been held accountable for this moronic "policy."

o

"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."
- attributed to Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

o

Jodi, I second your sentiments. Thank you.

o

Nik, you have absolutely no idea what I imagine, none at all.

I simply find it ironic that you defend the liberties of some but are perfectly happy to limit the liberties of others.

A person's sexual orientation is NOT an acceptable reason to deny them a job they are eminently qualified for. He was very familiar with Lybia, a country he loved, he knew the risks and it was his choice to take them.

o

I don't know where such a notion originated, but I second that, Chase... discriminating for reasons of sexual orientation is wrong. I suppose there are a few that still feel hetero white male is the only orientation, race and gender that matter, though... more's the pity.

o

I agree with chase and jodik.

I believe it was this homophobic rant that was copied and pasted to this forum, and now spreading among it's like-minded followers, who will stop at nothing, and wallow in any gutter to advance their racist, homophobic agenda.

Apparently we can show that sick video, with in-your-face impunity, all across the world and are shocked..........SHOCKED, when people are offended.

To politicize the tragic death of this American ambassador with such innuendo is unbelievable and sickening.

o

"Nik, you have absolutely no idea what I imagine, none at all."

You didn't post this?

"It's AOK for Americans to produce hateful videos disparaging Islam BUT it's not OK for Americans to post Gay people in Islamic countries because it offends their values....."

Or this?

"A person's sexual orientation is NOT an acceptable reason to deny them a job they are eminently qualified for. He was very familiar with Lybia, a country he loved, he knew the risks and it was his choice to take them."

Once again, the salient point has flown right over your head. This has nothing to do with hiring. It's about employer (State Department) negligence. If Chris Stevens was gay or rumored to be gay, he was at elevated risk from Islamists. He deserved to have security commensurate with that risk. Our president dismissed this gross negligence with the asinine statement that more guards wouldn't have helped.

o

Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 10:43

Has it flown over your head that it is a gross violation of US law to even consider making decisions based on an inference like that? Do you not get it?

A hateful rumor by a vindictive person is all it takes to lead to the death, or risk of death, of an innocent person. It happens all the time in the US, and in the rest of the world. It's an especially deadly problem in countries that have no freedom of, and from, religion.

So all your Kevin Dujan has to do is start a nasty rumor about a State Department employee in a predominantly Muslim country - and the rest, as we say, is history.

We just fired an employee for behavior like that.

o

Nik the only opinion I have is with regards to the appropriateness of the assignment of a gay man in the ME. I will again state that decision was the Ambassador's and the Ambassador's alone. He fully understood the risks and accepted them.

As far as the level of security goes, unlike you I am not privy to the pertinent facts relative to the security at the Libyan embassy and how it may, or may not, have contributed to the attack. Until I have real information that is specific to this situation I will not form a speculative opinion and spout it as factual.

o

"Has it flown over your head that it is a gross violation of US law to even consider making decisions based on an inference like that? Don't you get it?"

Oh, I do now.

But for the LAW, Chris Stevens would have had protection commensurate with the RISK he faced!!! It was AGAINST THE LAW to give him the protection he actually needed.

You've certainly put an end to the silly argument that he deserved better. Now that I know his superiors were just following orders, I feel so much better. There was simply nothing anyone could or should have done to protect him, and we should all move on.
Thanks for sharing.

o

"It was AGAINST THE LAW to give him the protection he actually needed. "

So say you but quite frankly you don't know squat!

Over and out on this one....I refuse to chase you down the rabbit hole anymore.

See Frank I listened!!

o

I'll exit with you, Chase... it's not worth the effort.

o

Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 15:07

LOL.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here