Return to the Hot Topics Forum

o
Obama/Democrats want your sexual history

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 14:10

Here's a little something all of you liberals who vote with your "lady parts" may want to weigh in on. I think Americans have lost their minds if they let this stand.

Chase, is this the kind of information Canadian doctors get paid to collect about you and your fellow citizens?

FTA: "If you think the Obama health law is only for the uninsured and you won't be affected, you're in for a surprise next time you go to the doctor. Be prepared for questions unrelated to why you are seeking medical help, questions that you don't want to answer.

Whether you're at the dermatologist or the cardiologist, you'll likely be asked: "Are you sexually active? If so, do you have one partner, multiple partners or same-sex partners?"

Doctors are being turned into government agents, where they're pressured financially to ask questions they consider inappropriate and unnecessary and violate their Hippocratic Oath to keep patients' records confidential.

Going to the doctor can be embarrassing. But for your own good, you confide in your doctor, as you wouldn't anyone else. What is happening here is different.

"This is nasty business," says Dr. Adam Budzikowski, a New York cardiologist, who called the sex question "insensitive, stupid and very intrusive." He could not think of an occasion when a cardiologist would need such information.

Doctors and hospitals who don't comply with the federal government's electronic health records requirements forego incentive payments now and face financial penalties from Medicare and Medicaid starting in 2015. The Department of Health and Human Services has already paid out over $12.7 billion in incentives to doctors and hospitals.

Dr. Richard Amerling, a nephrologist and associate professor of medicine at Albert Einstein Medical College, explains that your medical record should be "a story created by you and your doctor solely for your treatment and benefit." But the Obama administration's electronic record requirements are turning it "into an interrogation, and the data will not be confidential."

Lack of confidentiality is what concerned the New York Civil Liberties Union in a 2012 report. Electronic medical records have enormous benefits, but with one click of a mouse, every piece of information in a patient's record, including the social history, is transmitted, disclosing too much.

The social history questions also include whether you've ever used drugs, including IV drugs. As the NYCLU cautioned, revealing a patient's past drug problem, even if it was a decade ago, risks stigma.

On the other end of the political spectrum is the Goldwater Institute, a free-market think tank. It argues that by requiring everyone to have health insurance and then imposing penalties on insurers, doctors and hospitals that don't use the one click electronic system, you are violating Americans' medical privacy.

Protests from these privacy advocates are largely ignored. On Jan. 17, HHS announced that if patients want to keep something out of their electronic record, they should pay cash. That's impractical for most people.

In 2010, when Congress was drafting Obamacare, the National Rifle Association saw the danger and demanded a protection that became Section 2716 of the final law. It bars the federal government from compelling doctors and hospitals to ask you if you own a firearm. That's the only question they can't be told to ask you.

Where are the women's rights groups that went to the barricades in the 1980s and 1990s to prevent the federal government from accessing women's health records? Hypocritically, they are silent now.

Patients need to defend their own privacy by refusing to answer the intrusive "social history" questions. If you need to confide something to your doctor pertaining to your own treatment, ask your doctor about keeping two sets of books so that your secrets stay in the office. Doctors take the Hippocratic oath seriously and will not be offended.

Are such precautions paranoid? Hardly. We are only beginning to see the data collection ambitions of the executive branch. On Sept. 6, The New York Times reported that Edward Snowden's revelations show that the National Security Agency has "broadly compromised the guarantees that Internet companies have given consumers to reassure them that their communications, online bank and medical records, would be undecipherable to criminals or governments."

Be cautious about sharing your medical secrets with Uncle Sam."

Here is a link that might be useful: source

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Obama/Democrats want your sexual history

Wonder what the full story is?

o

Good God.

o

Phony scandal.

o

lady parts?

o

Demi I agree "Good God". Insurance companies in the US used health records to deny you because of pre-existing condition.

I will not be surprised if this is not another of the Right Wing spin or another story that Nik has gotten half the story and running around with another the sky is falling because of ObamaCare.

At some point I am confident this too shall pass by the way of WOW they were crazy and move on to the next hand wringer.

o

The author in Nik's link, Betsy McCaughey, is the woman who did a lot of hand flapping about the death panels that the ACA would create.

Who’s To Blame For The “Death Panel” Rumors? Betsy McCaughey, Again

o

I don't believe any of this.

Dr. Amerling is a republican, probably a member of the cracked pot tea party. Campaigns against Obamacare.

~Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o

And what is the molehill buried under this mountain of horror?

Congress recently passed a privacy protection item which says, basically, that if you don't want the information about your STD treatment available to your insurance company, you can pay for the treatment out of your own pocket and require the doctor to place that info. in a Do Not Share category. Or maybe you don't want your wife knowing you were screwing around on her and caught some sexual disease. Again, you can pay for it fully out of your own pocketbook and have that info. designated as Do Not Share With My Spouse.

Ironically, it is the paranoid conservatives who have ranted about violation of privacy, so this bill was passed to give them the protection they desired. Now that they have it, they are screaming that it is a plot by Obama to expose info. they do not want exposed.

Let's face it--there's no pleasing some folks!

As to providing your doctor with a complete medical history so that he/she can counsel you on prevention or provide treatment of certain conditions, that is called is GOOD MEDICINE. You don't want your doctor to check that condition that just might require STD treatment or HIV treatment? Then lie to the doctor and take your chances. However, if you are trying to keep the info away from your insurance company, then you would be committing fraud against the insurance company! That would make your situation even worse--STDs untreated and the insurance company filing fraud charges against you!

The normal privacy laws still stand, even under Obamacare. So calm down all you hand-flapping paranoid conservatives!

And yes--all the conservative outlets, blogs, newspapers, etc., are working overtime right this very minute passing around this scary info to other conservatives--their own closed circle of invented horror.

Kate

o

Ooh, I hope so: I could weave a wondrous tale of my sexual exploits during the '60's as could most of us.
Boringly monogamous during my married life. Got a little frisky after the divorce, but those partners didn't want to share me with my 3 kids, so they moved on.
Back to being monogamous with the ex and boring again. :-)

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 16:23

Too late all you fear mongers ... these questions are routinely asked already. I filled out a form earlier this year (pre-aca) and the "have you ever used drugs" and are you "sexually active with or without a partner" were on the form. Whether you know it or not emergency rooms routinely screen for STD's when they run test.

By the way I guess it is not true that "you can't make this up", cause this thread shows that you indeed can "make up stuff" and some swallow it without question.

Next outrage of the day ????

o

"omnia pro aegroto" indeed. The AAPS is listed as a quack organization by Quackwatch and is sufficiently bats**t insane to have retained Andrew Schlafly as its general counsel. (Wiki)

From ann t's link..."To assure continued access to a personal physician, concerned Americans should immediately seek out and contract with a direct-pay or concierge doctor."

And Amerling's final recommendation: "If you live in a blue state, consider relocating to a red state, particularly one that is not complying with Obamacare."

October 1st. is closing fast. Seems to be the stink of desperation wafting through some of these internet scribblings.

o

I got asked most of these questions on my intake 15 years ago maybe it's because!
I'm an obvious homosechuan male!~

o

As one of our conservative folks likes to say: "Bwahahahaha!"

I hope I spelled it right.

o

Go ahead and get back to me when the GOP decides to spend 70 million investigating whether I've had sex with someone or just given them head.

Everything else until then is just foreplay imo.

o

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 16:37

As one of our conservative folks likes to say: "Bwahahahaha!"

I hope I spelled it right.

Esh, you crack me up. LOL!!

~Ann

o

Nice to read past papers & articles on this subject.

This is from 2006!

"BACKGROUND: Because many people seek sexual healthcare in settings where they seek primary healthcare, the extent to which primary care physicians take sexual histories is important. We surveyed Atlanta-area primary care physicians to estimate the extent to which they take sexual histories as well as the components of those histories and the circumstances under which they are taken. METHODS: Four-hundred-sixteen physicians in four specialties (obstetrics/gynecology, internal medicine, general/family practice, pediatrics) responded to a mail survey conducted during 2003-2004. Respondents answered whether they asked about sexual activity at all, including specific components of a comprehensive sexual history such as sexual as sexual orientation, numbers of partners and types of sexual activity, during routine exams, initial exams, complaint-based visits or never. Respondents also reported their opinions on whether they felt trained and comfortable taking sexual histories. RESULTS: Respondents (51% male, 58% white) saw an average of 94 patients per week. A majority (56%) felt adequately trained, while 79% felt comfortable taking sexual histories. Almost three in five (58%) asked about sexual activity at a routine visit, but much smaller proportions (12-34%) asked about the components of a sexual history. However, 76% of physicians reported asking about sexual history (61-75% for various components) if they felt it would be relevant to the chief complaint. CONCLUSIONS: Most physicians report feeling comfortable taking sexual histories and will do so if the patient's apparent complaint is related to sexual health. But sexual histories as part of routine and preventive healthcare are less common, and many physicians miss essential components of a comprehensive sexual history. Structural changes and suggestions for training to enhance sexual history-taking are discussed."

Some doctors shy away from asking questions because of their own issues or because of time constraints!
It's the same with doctors not seeking out potential alcohol or prescription misuse!

Here is a link that might be useful: Old News

o

First of all... who on earth "votes with their lady parts"? Most people vote with their values in mind when it comes to issues that have to do with the rights of women in the area of reproduction ... but that's not the only consideration a voter takes into account.

Second... I, too, am curious about "the molehill buried under this mountain of horror"... which I suspect is nothing but more hand flapping.

I just read something that said, "She was Hannah Montana when Bush was President... Thanks Obama."

Sure... why not. Just another thing to pile on the perpetual blame aimed at our esteemed President... for no reason in particular...

o

Jeez. Don't give Darrell Issa ideas. They've got plenty of time to convene a hearing before going off on vacation AGAIN at close of business (what the... business?) on Friday the 20th.They probably even have time to try to repeal Obamacare for the 42nd. and 43rd. time.

When's the government shut down scheduled, Sept. 30th.? Looks like Cantor should remove his weasel hat and cancel the upcoming vacation - now that the bruises from all the shots taken at town hall meetings during the the last one should be about gone.

o

Nik can your lady parts pull the lever in a voting booth that would be truly something to see on Ripley's Believe it or Not.
What a curious image voting with your lady parts.
I mean it's not that I don't like the idea of women particularly Democrats voting with "THEIR LADY PARTS" it just brings to mind a shot that misses it's mark!

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 17:38

FYI physicians and/or hospitals have been reporting on patients for "decades", back in the 50's my father went to his private physician and it was discovered that he had TB, the next thing we knew the county health department came a knocking on the door and we were required (no choice) to be tested.

Want to know what else the "gubmint" collects on patients? How bout' "cancer" just one of many diseases.

Over 40 years ago I worked in the ER of a local hospital, we kept a "list" of patients that we had to report when they came in, this "private patient info" was shared among all the local hospitals.

At the link is more ....

Here is a link that might be useful: linky dink

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 17:39

Just get married and they won't ask you those questions.

o

I would hope they would!

o

"What a curious image voting with your lady parts.
I mean it's not that I don't like the idea of women particularly Democrats voting with "THEIR LADY PARTS" it just brings to mind a shot that misses it's mark!"

Agreed. When the Obama campaign brought up "lady parts" I thought it was stupid. But several female posters here embraced the vulgarity, scolded me, and claimed their family members vote with lady parts in mind. Hope I haven't left anybody out here:

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 16:32

You may not understand this Nik but voting for every part of my body is important. I feel as strongly as you do that government should not control my body. If you agree to that then you should be for Obama. Do you feel your lady parts are not important? Guess what you cannot live without those lady parts, You will be on that death panel table.

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 16:43

Boy, here's one woman who will vote with her lady parts in mind...and for my daughter and granddaughter's as well.

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 17:13

My lady parts will be voting!

OBAMA for Lady Parts 2012!!!!

vkgk (is that right?) - we need you for a slogan!

Oh, and my daughter will be voting her lady parts as well!

Posted by silversword 9A (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 1:50

I'm voting for my lady parts and my daughter's lady parts too. I think it's particularly scary how many people won't vote for lady parts like their lives depend on it. Do they understand what lady parts are?

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 10:15

Even my husband will be voting with 'lady parts' in mind... mine, and our daughters', and our granddaughter's... and even their daughter's! I'll be voting that way, too.

FTA: "Vote like your lady parts depend on it,” reads an e-card posted by the Obama campaign on their Tumblr site. The post links to a health care document explaining how the Affordable Health Care Act helps women.

*Update* The e-card was deleted just hours after bloggers began criticizing the post."

Here is a link that might be useful: Obama: vote like your lady parts depend on it

o

It rained here today. Rain wasn't in the forecast. Must be Obama's fault!

This really gets so old.

o

"This is nasty business," says Dr. Adam Budzikowski, a New York cardiologist, who called the sex question "insensitive, stupid and very intrusive." He could not think of an occasion when a cardiologist would need such information.

If a person has had a heart attack shouldn't his cardiologist be interested in that person's sexual activity, since having sex too soon after a heart attack might be a dangerous pursuit?

o

Bwahahahaha nik....see esh, you got it right!

btw...anyone know why the union bosses looked so unhappy when they left the White House today? They spent millions pushing Obamacare and now they don't want it? Jeesh, just can't please some people.

o

Yes, my heart just aches for the very few union members who have gold-plated health insurance policies with unlimited dental, eye, no co-pays and so on. Policies that effectively double their income, if given a cash equivalent.

They'll have to pay a minor tax on that now.

Oh, the horror.

o

Why mrskjun, aren't you happy that the Administration didn't give the unions preferential treatment? Man, there is just no pleasing you when it comes to Obama.

o

I guess this shiny new outrage must mean that they finally sucked everything they could out of their faux, drama ridden outrage concerning the real tragedy they referred to as 'Benghazi'.

Out with the old, in with the new, 'eh?

Or, perhaps a fresh new burst of old outrage will be dredged up - for appearances sake, you know.

o

Seems the lady part voters of Virginia will hand Ken Coochy coo Cuccinelli You know the I'm I'm giving all the gifts back guy.his man parts on a platter come election time.

o

Wouldn't that be gentleman parts?

o

Nancy's post:

The author in Nik's link, Betsy McCaughey, is the woman who did a lot of hand flapping about the death panels that the ACA would create.

Who’s To Blame For The “Death Panel” Rumors? Betsy McCaughey, Again

bears repeating, again and again. This woman is so anti-Obama that she will say anything, especially lie, if it will get someone to not want Obamacare.

o

bears repeating, again and again. This woman is so anti-Obama that she will say anything, especially lie, if it will get someone to not want Obamacare.

Are you speaking of nik?

o

"bears repeating, again and again. This woman is so anti-Obama that she will say anything, especially lie, if it will get someone to not want Obamacare."

Hey Nancy,

Nobody has to lie to "get someone not to want Obamacare."

You may have forgotten Edward Snowden, and the massive intelligence this administration has been collecting, storing, and lying about. I haven't.

Flap away while you can. Confidentiality between a woman and her doctor is not something grown up American women are going to give up quietly. Spit and fan will eventually meet.

o

From the OP; "Be cautious about sharing your medical secrets with Uncle Sam."

I have always declined to answer the questions I don't feel are relevant. Whether the questions have to do with the ACA or just another interminable survey for stats that end up in a medical journal, like "89% of women surveyed get toenail fungus if they eat rutabaga 3X/week," I don't really care. It's a waste of everybody's time.

o

Some people will believe anything.....ANYTHING, that their favorite rag publishes if it supports their beliefs or supports what they desperately want to believe, even though they know, in their heart of hearts, that it's all a POS.

You just can't go wrong appealing to people who won't think for themselves.

o

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 8:45

"..............Flap away while you can. Confidentiality between a woman and her doctor is not something grown up American women are going to give up quietly. Spit and fan will eventually meet.

American women are not going to give up quietly the right to choose what to do with their own bodies. And that is the reason no woman in her right mind will vote for a Republican.

~Ann

o

That would be the Republicans who not only think physicians should get a sexual history, but a moral history from women, and should bar women from making any choices themselves about sex and reproduction, but should look to Republican men for those decisions.

Those Republicans?

I don't get it.

"Republican woman" should be an oxymoron. Actually, there shouldn't be any.

o

"You just can't go wrong appealing to people who won't think for themselves."

That works both ways, you know. Like so many issues, everyone's pretty much dug in until they hear a convincing argument, which apparently no one has. Or no one's listening.

o

The BS factor!

Right now, 45 percent of young Democrats receive coverage through their parents' plan, compared to 63 percent of young Republicans
ooooh how da dot hoppin!

Like so much in this country it's the partisan BS factor!

o

The BS factor!

Right now, 45 percent of young Democrats receive coverage through their parents' plan, compared to 63 percent of young Republicans
ooooh how da dot hoppin!

Like so much in this country it's the partisan BS factor!

o

When my gynecologist did my last examination about 2 years ago, even she laughed at the questions about my sexual behavior that she was compelled to ask.

o

I am a Republican. And only recently found out FIRST hand how screwed up insurance companies are. My husband and I are self employed. We were paying extremely high premiums for insurance. Now we are no longer able to get the insurance. Started looking for new. Me and my husband were both DENIED because of pre existing conditions. We are screwed! So until Jan 2014, none of my prescriptions will be covered! No Dr visits will be covered! I am glad and thankful for a reform!

And let them ask about sexual partners! Who cares its ONE, one, and still ONE! My husband. Who cares? Oh the people who care are the LIBERAL!

o

I am glad and thankful for a reform!

A lot of us are.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 11:31

LOL, that's too funny teisa

The fact that you can't get health insurance has nothing to do with the current administration. The fact that you CAN get health insurance in 2014 has everything to do with the current administration. If Romney had won, you'd have no chance at all of getting health insurance in 2014 or 2015 or 2016, and on and on..........

No one cares who your partners are or how many you have, but public health officials in your town and in your state do care who your partners are if you have a sexually transmitted disease like syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia or HIV/AIDS.

They also care if you are at risk for domestic violence. You don't have to look far to see the tragic reports, day after day, of women and children murdered by men who "love" them.

These are serious issues and they don't belong to one political party or another.

On the other hand, it's the GOP who want to deny women any rights to make their own reproductive health decisions - not only abortion, but contraception, and now some even want to declare, not only who you may have sex with, but HOW you may have sex - the "missionary position" is, I believe, the only one Republicans really support.

o

Mom, it is pretty sad that this has to keep being pointed out. Wonder if some republicans will ever get it.

~Ann

o

"This woman" is Betsy McCaughey, not nik. Sorry that I didn't make that clear.

o

gee I thought the entire premise of the current republican party is back to barefoot and pregnant stage...with our mouths shut, and existing on the kindness of our dear, white, rich, country club husbands...never mind if they chippy around and pass on stds....

o

"...with our mouths shut, and existing on the kindness of our dear, white, rich, country club husbands..."

Oh dear, and there are just so many of those. Yes, that should give one pause for thought. They're lurking behind every tree, ready to scoop up unsuspecting women and shower them with kindness...in return for their silence. Thanks for the laugh.

o

You right Elvis they are few & far between and yet control more concentrated wealth than since the time of the Robber Barons.
Still if you read links you can read the medical professions ideas on intake questions and those discussions in those links were from 2006 .
whole lotta noise here with little to show for itself other than the usual bad OBAMA

o

"This woman" is Betsy McCaughey, not nik. Sorry that I didn't make that clear.

Yes, well I happen to think it applies to nik as well.

o

Sounds like someone is having trouble sleeping -- or maybe can't read more than a few words before falling asleep. (My sexual history -- yawn.)

o

Egads, I wonder how big the molehill would grow if we threw the subject of illegal immigrants into the mix...

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 23:19

Anyone that wants my sexual history can have it.

Well, some parts were good, I guess.

And I'm definitely keeping my sexual parts!

o

nikoleta, allow me to share a relevant experience.
I visited my new PCP for the first time and the nurse was asking the litany of questions for their records.
I could not believe my ears when she asked, "Are you sexually active?"
Occasionally, a momentary and intense rage overcomes me; and this was one such occasion.
I considered a few answers like,"What a preposterous question!" ; "I will not dignify that question with a response!" ; "It's none of your business!"
So I put on my most stern facial expression and asked,
"Would you like to find out?"
I fully expected that I would have to seek a new PCP.
Instead, she turned crimson and left the office.
She returned shortly and escorted me to the doctor's office.
The Q&A was not resumed.
And I had never before seen a doctor qute as promptly.

This post was edited by ronalawn82 on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 10:32

o

freaking dark ages!

o

Having, or been exposed to, any sort of sexual transmitted disease is like totally irrelevant to a medical doctor trying to treat you.

o

Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 11:10

Everyone is asking ridiculous questions today - so I don't get why you are so outraged - just tell them it's none of their business. There's a box for that answer, too, though stated better.

Every store I shop at wants my phone number and/or zip code - I just say no, and they move on to taking my money.

When I was called for jury duty, there was a page full of "none of your business" questions, which I didn't answer. When I showed up for jury duty and she noted that I had not answered those questions, she also said it wasn't a problem and checked the box that I declined to answer them.

When my kids were in school I very clearly checked the box saying they COULD NOT share this information.

You don't have to give anyone any information you don't want them to have.

I did tell Experian that I was no longer married, 10 years after the fact - and that their records now showed my ex-husband was a bigamist. They changed that pretty quickly.

o

This sounds like a deadly version of " Don't ask Don't tell"

Trichomoniasis (trich) is the most common curable sexually transmitted Infection (STI), yet only one in five (22%) women are familiar with it, according to a new survey commissioned by the American Sexual Health Association (ASHA). Women surveyed perceive trich as the least common STI, when in reality there are more new cases of trich annually in the U.S. (7-8 million) than syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea combined.

"Trich is the forgotten STI ��" few are aware, and few know it is easy to get tested and treated," said ASHA President and CEO Lynn B Barclay. "Yet trich poses risks to a woman's health, many of which can be prevented with a simple, easy and painless test and cured with a dose of antibiotics."

Trich is a parasite that is passed on during sex. Only about 30 percent of people with trich develop any symptoms, which in women can include itching, burning, redness or soreness of the genitals, discomfort with urination, or a thin discharge with an unusual smell that can be clear, white, yellowish, or greenish. Trich can also make sex unpleasant.

The CDC recommends that any sexually active woman seeking treatment for vaginal discharge should be tested for trich. However, 65% of women surveyed would not seek medical attention if they experienced unusual symptoms, instead waiting to see if the symptoms go away or treating themselves with over-the-counter medicine.

Forget the rise of STI's in seniors many of these infections are not reported by their doctors!

Old news
2002 stats cant find current but little has changed
Fewer than one third of physicians routinely screened men or women (pregnant or nonpregnant) for STDs. Case reporting was lowest for chlamydia (37%), intermediate for gonorrhea (44%), and higher for syphilis, HIV, and AIDS (53%��"57%). Physicians instructed patients to notify their partners (82%��"89%) or the health department (25%��"34%) rather than doing so themselves.

Conclusions. STD screening levels are well below practice guidelines for women and virtually nonexistent for men. Case reporting levels are below those legally mandated; physicians rely instead on patients for partner notification. Health departments must increase collaboration with private physicians to improve the quality of STD care.

o

Thanks for the laugh, Ron!

DH and I were laughing yesterday as we talked about how people might respond when their doctors start asking the kinds of intrusive questions you have already dealt with...and you dealt with the nonsense very well if you ask me.

We are expecting to hear about of all kinds of hilarious responses when people get hit, as you were, with unnecessary and inappropriate personal questions. Yours is the first one I have heard, and I can't wait for him to get home from the gun show so I can share it with him.

Pidge, I probably wouldn't have thought twice if an ob gyn asked that question.

But an opthalmaligist has no business collecting that kind of information, and I think it should be up to the patient to decide what she wants reported to her government.

Thanks to both Ron and Pidge for confirming that the questions are real. I can't imagine why anyone doubts they're going to be asked to respond. As the OP article states, HHS has already paid out billions to doctors in exchange for information.

o

HHS has already paid out billions to doctors in exchange for information.

You mean, the Health and Human Services department keeps track of the citizenry of the Nations' health?

#skyisfalling

o

But an opthalmaligist has no business collecting that kind of information, and I think it should be up to the patient to decide what she wants reported to her government.

Thanks to both Ron and Pidge for confirming that the questions are real.

Did someone confirm that an ophthalmologist asked those questions? I missed that. Both ron and pidge had doctors asking relevant questions (a gyn and a primary doctor).

o

"Did someone confirm that an ophthalmologist asked those questions?"

I was at the eye doctor recently for a comprehensive exam, including medical history. Mine did not.

o

This sounds like a deadly version of " Don't ask Don't tell"

Trichomoniasis (trich) is the most common curable sexually transmitted Infection (STI), yet only one in five (22%) women are familiar with it, according to a new survey commissioned by the American Sexual Health Association (ASHA). Women surveyed perceive trich as the least common STI, when in reality there are more new cases of trich annually in the U.S. (7-8 million) than syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea combined.

"Trich is the forgotten STI ��" few are aware, and few know it is easy to get tested and treated," said ASHA President and CEO Lynn B Barclay. "Yet trich poses risks to a woman's health, many of which can be prevented with a simple, easy and painless test and cured with a dose of antibiotics."

Trich is a parasite that is passed on during sex. Only about 30 percent of people with trich develop any symptoms, which in women can include itching, burning, redness or soreness of the genitals, discomfort with urination, or a thin discharge with an unusual smell that can be clear, white, yellowish, or greenish. Trich can also make sex unpleasant.

The CDC recommends that any sexually active woman seeking treatment for vaginal discharge should be tested for trich. However, 65% of women surveyed would not seek medical attention if they experienced unusual symptoms, instead waiting to see if the symptoms go away or treating themselves with over-the-counter medicine.

Forget the rise of STI's in seniors many of these infections are not reported by their doctors!

Old news
2002 stats cant find current but little has changed
Fewer than one third of physicians routinely screened men or women (pregnant or nonpregnant) for STDs. Case reporting was lowest for chlamydia (37%), intermediate for gonorrhea (44%), and higher for syphilis, HIV, and AIDS (53%��"57%). Physicians instructed patients to notify their partners (82%��"89%) or the health department (25%��"34%) rather than doing so themselves.

Conclusions. STD screening levels are well below practice guidelines for women and virtually nonexistent for men. Case reporting levels are below those legally mandated; physicians rely instead on patients for partner notification. Health departments must increase collaboration with private physicians to improve the quality of STD care.

o

Maybe you should assume that if a doctor asks a question there is a reason. Here is something that you probably didn't know, nik:

Optometrists and infectious disease specialists can unite to address what has been called a 'hidden epidemic' with enormous health and economic consequences: sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

In fact, optometrists may be the first healthcare providers to detect in their own practice the signs or symptoms of an STD, such as chlamydia, cytomegalovirus (CMV), syphilis, gonorrhoea, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). In turn, they can order the testing necessary for early diagnosis and treatment of the ocular conditions associated with these diseases and refer patients for the treatment of systemic diseases including HIV.

The article explains why.....

When people start understanding that every part of one's body affects every other part of one's body, maybe they will finally open their closed minds and understand why doctors ask these questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: linky

o

Precisely so, Jerzee... like a well tuned piece of machinery, if one part fails it can affect the whole machine... and if not taken care of, that one malfunctioning part can lead to total breakdown.

Every system is interconnected to the next. This is why preventive maintenance is so important... as is properly fueling the machine... or in this case, the human body.

o

The paranoia that prevails with the GOP, it just boggles the mind to see and hear it.

The lack of understanding about what is and isn't important information for the various doctors one sees and why these questions would be asked is even more mind boggling.

Or is this just another one of those rediculous claims by the GOP to make "Obamacare" look bad, when in fact all of this is nothing new and they know that the questions are really appropriate and important to be asked?

Or maybe it is all of the above.

o

What I find disturbing is the mindset that allows someone to believe that because a doctor asks a question that will be used for statistical purposes that somehow the government is prying.

The poster who is oh so smug and proud that he told the nurse off for asking such a personal question and almost made her cry should realize that when it comes to medicine there are no personal questions - everything question helps complete the puzzle that keeps you well or helps you get better. If you don't "tell all" you might even get sicker.

It's amazing how deep this country's Puritan roots run.

o

People fail to realize that all that collected data helps in future diagnoses, medicines, etc... and is hardly wanted for reasons that are personal or prying. It's not like they use it to point fingers or crucify the individual. Geez!

o

What I find so astounding is how this concept of Personal Freedom and Personal Responsibility has been ideologically imposed on the field of medicine and health care in general.

Um, a drug-resistant strain of TB - spread by someone coughing - could care less what political party you belong to or how much money you have. Just think - you could catch TB at the Opera - if the woman who cleans the toilets is a carrier.

Don't want to vaccinate your kids? And if they get measles, and pass it on to your kids- who got the vaccine but it failed to take, for some reason?

And then there's all those low-class, uninsured people who handle your food from field to table and so on.

Public health = individual health.

People with medical insurance and access to care are healthier, and therefore you are healthier.

o

"People fail to realize that all that collected data helps in future diagnoses, medicines, etc... and is hardly wanted for reasons that are personal or prying."

It's simply a need to take anything and twist it in such a way as to make it look like Obamacare is evil, sinister and all part of a huge liberal plot to socialize the US and rob everyone of their privacy.

It is persistently and conveniently ignored that these bogus boogie men don't plague other universal healthcare systems.

It is also persistently and conveniently ignored that the US has a healthcare system that cannot sustain itself.

Requests for ideas of how that can be turned around are also consistently and conveniently ignored . One can only assume it's because they have no idea!

o

"Maybe you should assume that if a doctor asks a question there is a reason."

Maybe you should consider the difference between a "medical reason" and a "financial incentive." You've confused the two. You've also confused optometrists, who are not medical doctors, with ophthalmologists who are.

"Every system is interconnected to the next."

Nicely put, Jodi. Systems are everywhere. Changes in one system can have a profound impact on other systems.Think of all the systems that make up our society. We have systems within other systems. Government systems. Economic systems. Employment systems. Tax systems. Federal systems. State systems. Local systems. Justice systems. Transportation systems. Education systems. Housing systems. School systems. Family systems.

As we watch obamacare unfold, we are seeing first hand how rushing to change one system without thinking it through, can inflict massive damage other systems and create a cascade of new problems.

One example: Politicians renamed 30 hours per week "full time employment." Employers had to adapt their systems to accommodate the new law. For some employers, the cheapest way to comply was to simply rewrite schedules with more employees and fewer hours. That has had a profound impact on family systems, as uninsured workers who previously had full time work are now part time workers with an obligation to buy insurance. Their ability to support their families has been diminished by reduced incomes, forcing some to get a second or third job and adapt their budget systems. And don't forget the all-knowing creators of the obamacare mandate gave employers, but not the people, another year to comply. A bit of the "old boys system" perhaps?

Dictating rules without considering the impact on other systems is a bad idea. This is pretty basic stuff even I understand. I look forward to watching the folks who passed this turkey in the middle of the night get all the credit they deserve.

o

I look forward to illegal immigrants getting the healthcare they need to keep from spreading infectious diseases to the people who pretend it doesn't matter.

Oh wait, that's not included.

o

Maybe you should assume that if a doctor asks a question there is a reason.

Why do that when you can use that little tidbit of ridiculous information to blame Obama.

The lengths people will go to to find something else to blame on Obama is mind boggling.

Public health = individual health.

People with medical insurance and access to care are healthier, and therefore you are healthier.

This is so obvious to anyone who can think. But to those blinded by their hatred of Obama and/or their hatred of immigrants, illegal or not, they are not capable of thinking logically. Nik is your perfect example of both hatred of Obama and hatred of immigrants, especially from a certain area of the world, clouding her ability to think logically.

And, don't think it goes unnoticed, nik, that no matter how many times chase asks you a direct question of what you would do to improve healthcare in the US, you ignore the question. I, for one, notice and agree with chase's conclusion that you don't answer because you have no answer. You don't fool anyone.

o

Now you've gone and done it, Esh... mentioning both Obamacare AND illegal immigrants... in the same thread, even! ;-)

Nik, you know perfectly well that the GOP has made it their mission to break down as many of those systems that benefit the public as possible. Privatize = more profit... and to hell with the common citizen, like we matter to them.

You're being used by your own party... I hope some day you'll see that.

o

More of the same form more of the same who are never shy about dishing up more of the same!

o

I'm disappointed; Nik's answers are even more canned than ever. Although the bit about the hubbie coming back from his gun show was an admittedly nice touch.

Gotta run pick up the kids from their after-school Gender Sensitivity training classes before my husband gets home from his labor union meeting.

o

"Gotta run pick up the kids from their after-school Gender Sensitivity training classes before my husband gets home from his labor union meeting."

In your electric car? Don't forget to pick up some tofu for dinner.

o

My tofu is already in the fridge ....

o

Don't forget to pick up some organic tofu for dinner.

o

Yes, don't make a huge tofu mistake.

o

Why bother with tofu? Just graze in the non-chemically treated meadow outside the front door. Dressing on the side... but not a creamy one. Quelle horreur!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 19:04

Males should not eat a lot of tofu.

However, it is certainly laughable that somebody would think an electric car was silly.

o

Somebody will not be "forced" into answering anyone's questions regarding the very subject which Somebody brought up by starting a thread about it, even if there is shooting at her feet trying to "force" Somebody to speak up, totally against her will, of course.

Somebody chooses instead to endlessly, endlessly complain about every move that "harmful, ineffective and arrogant" President will "shove down her throat" --- the same President who will likely leave us far, far better off than the man Somebody voted for ended up leaving us ---rather than actually offer Somebody's own brilliantly educated and workable ideas on what, instead, Somebody thinks the president SHOULD do, instead.

So Somebody chooses to make herself an utter fool by flinging injurious arrows containing tofu and electric cars as the poison at the tips.

Oohhh....... scary!

o

Notice this same OP does not even flinch that states pass laws that require doctors to recite information to women requesting abortions, make women wait 24 hours, or undergo unnecessary ultrasounds.

Woman comes in at 8 weeks pregnant for a perfectly legal procedure but it's fine that she has to jump through hoops to get it. Nik doesn't seen any outrage in that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info here

o

Of course not, esh. Those rules were passed by Republicans and in nik's eyes they can do no wrong. Only Obama and democrats do bad things.

mylab - your post was wonderful!

o

Just out of curiosity, why would the government want that information ? For what purpose? What is the underlying motive?

To be clear that is not a rhetorical question.

I am asking Nik......why would the government want that information ? What is their purpose beyond public health? What is their motivation ?

o

So the government can find some way to persecute t-partiers. Everybody knows that.

Kate

o

Nik do you have a problem of Republican

Women In Iowa Must Now Seek Personal Approval Of Republican Governor To Get An Abortion

anti-choice Governor will get to make the final call on who gets abortion coverage. Even though Branstad has no medical training or health care experience or investigative training, he gets to be the person who makes the final call as to whether or not a woman was raped or had a life threatening pregnancy that required an abortion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Women that are raped do not get pregnant

o
yummy!

"My tofu is already in the fridge ...."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

o

Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 11:44

You know, of course, that the only people who will look at your answers are President Obama and Democratic members of Congress, and maybe your neighbor.

o

Is there something we have to hide? Should we be embarrassed to answer normally asked questions about our health? What exactly should we be so afraid of?

o

And still nik answers no questions ... all fluff she is, no substance.

o

Of course she didn't answer our questions. The whole point of this thread (for nik, anyway) is that she objects to answering questions--whether posed by our government, our doctors, or fellow-forumers.

Hey, you gotta give her credit for consistency. ANSWER NO QUESTIONS. PERIOD.

: )

Kate

o

"I am asking Nik......why would the government want that information ? What is their purpose beyond public health? What is their motivation ?"

No idea. In Canada, does your doctor get paid to ask you if you're sexually active? If so, what is the purpose beyond public health? What is the motivation?

o

OMG, she's entertaining questions. How about this one from above?

Nik do you have a problem of Republican-sponsored bill that

"Women In Iowa Must Now Seek Personal Approval Of Republican Governor To Get An Abortion"

o

For what it's worth, I have to make a slight correction here. In Iowa, it was only the Medicaid funded abortions that required the Governor's attention. No affect on elective abortions... of which there were 4648 last year.

No matter what, it's an over-reach for a governor. Sometimes you just don't want to be known for "firsts".

Here is a link that might be useful: Branstad spared but should have been speared

o

There is a strong correlation between the silliness of these non-issues and the desperation Republicans are feeling about the advent of the Affordable Care Act.

o

Nik, i have absolutely no idea and couldn't care less.

I would expect that questions with regards to one's sexuality would be part of any questionnaire for new patients. Certainly I would have no reason tho think the information was being gathered for nefarious reasons...that makes no sense unless one is totally paranoid,

I truly don't see questions about your sexual health any different than any other aspect of your health.

o

Oh good grief, chase, that makes too much sense. nik will never go for that.

o

Regarding questins about one's sexual history, present activity, etc: of course one can decline to answer. For me, it's the expectation that one should answer and not be uncomfortable about answering that's the rub. It seems to me dehumanizing at some level. Nowadays we have so little privacy and intrusive questioning is just one more piece of oneself that the government demands to have. As we allow one freedom (in this case privacy) after another be pulled away from us, it's only a matter of time before things that are asked of us now will be demanded of us in the (near) future.

For routine exams, a few simple health-related questions would suffice; the list has gotten way too comprehensive, IME.

"Thanks to laws that protect the confidentiality of doctor-patient conversations ��" in the same way conversations with your lawyer or your priest are considered off-the-record and ��" people generally are more open with their doctors than with friends and family.

That’s a good thing for both doctors and patients. Privileged communication means patients will give honest answers and doctors can get vital information.

But in the new age of Obamacare, doctors will have to ask about personal details patients may not want to share. Then, that information goes into an electronic personal file, which can be shared between doctors, hospitals and other treatment centers.

The connectivity is supposed to help reduce waiting times and get patients faster treatment under Obamacare, but some worry about the tremendous potential for personal information to be stolen or improperly shared."

That's a concern, too. No guarantee that the information won't be shared with parties you don't wish to share your very personal information with.

Here is a link that might be useful: linkydink

o

That's a concern, too. No guarantee that the information won't be shared with parties you don't wish to share your very personal information with.

The irony is mind boggling. People come on this internet site and share their most personal thoughts and feelings about just about everything ad nauseam and then they have a problem with discussing important stuff with their doctors because they are worried about their privacy?

I have a solution - just don't go to the doctor. Then there's no chance that anyone's private information (that no one really cares about) will somehow end up somewhere you don't want it to.

o

Jerzee: "I have a solution - just don't go to the doctor."

Now why didn't I think of that? Brilliant.

o

I for one love the fact that my health history is on line and accessible to any doctor accessing the system.

My family doctor, my cardiologist, my oncologist, and even my my dermatologist all use on line entry and retrieval.

I'm glad to know that if I end up in Emerg for some reason the doctor there can access all my data in seconds. I'm also glad that the results of my blood work, all ordered my family doctor, are reviewed within days by my cardiologist.....on line and if he has concerns he contacts my family doctor right away.!

It would never occur to me to be worried about abuse. I mean seriously what is anyone going to do with the info ? Blackmail me? I'm not that important,,,,,,, but my health is.

o

I check in using a palm scan and my records are on line and shared by my doctors. It saves tons of time.

o

"Nik, i have absolutely no idea and couldn't care less."

Chase, You have a government health care system you're very proud of. It sounds like it's very well run. I understand that you may not know if your doctor is paid to ask you if you specific questions.

But you certainly know if you've been asked by your doctor if you're sexually active, with how many partners, and of what sex. Does your doctor question you about these matters?

o

I've had the same doctor for 25 years. There is nothing that we haven;t discussed. Whether she ever asked me as a new patient I can;t recall.

Point is I would not hesitate to answer.

o

Thanks, chase. That sounds like how things used to be down here.

I've told you many times I think you have better leaders than we do. Your response confirms that for me once again.

If the Canadian government doesn't need to know about your sex life, my government doesn't need to know about mine.

o

HOOT!

o

"If the Canadian government doesn't need to know about your sex life, "

I didn't say that Nik.

if you cannot justify your postilion based on your own thoughts please don't try to use the words of others to do so.

The fact that you cannot articulate a cognitive argument on your own tells us much......you haven;t got one.

o

OMG! How did nik get that out of what you said, chase? It seems to confirm what some of us have been thinking all along that she is incapable of understanding what she reads, which is clearly why she is posting so much qwap.

o

Nik Repeat Question

Nik do you have a problem of Republicans involved in your sexual health issues?

Women In Iowa Must Now Seek Personal Approval Of Republican Governor To Get An Abortion

anti-choice Governor will get to make the final call on who gets abortion coverage. Even though Branstad has no medical training or health care experience or investigative training, he gets to be the person who makes the final call as to whether or not a woman was raped or had a life threatening pregnancy that required an abortion.

Go to my original post for the link

o

I'll tell you one thing... it sure makes it easier to have previous information accessible when being passed from doctor to specialist or another area of medicine... instead of having to go through the entire process of questioning, testing and everything every time a new doctor enters the scene.

Every bit of stored information on a person is relevant to diagnosis, and completes the puzzle.

And in reality... what can such medically relevant information be used for... aside from medically?

o

Hey it's a broad spectrum assault by every thing that ever crawled out of the stankiest Republican cracks . Blogs ads campaigns you know a basic Koch infection.
Now yah got the Koch's doing their best on college campuses with operation opt out. Be cool opt out of Obama care (whats the alternative) Live insurance free or die!

Even the tea jerks get how lame it is

The Creeps of the right only get creepier!
At least this isn't as lame as burn your Obama Care card!

Here is a link that might be useful: Twitching and uninsured

o

Another male counterpart video features a man told to pull down his pants and lay on an operating table, at which point Creepy Uncle Sam springs up from behind him and slaps on a surgical glove. Doesn't seem to be a link for that one.

Ads here are running for getting on the insurance bandwagon. They're using the iconic Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox characters in assorted accident situations. It's a blitz on billboards, busses, newspapers, radio... Minnesota has only a bit less than 9% uninsured so it'll be interesting to see if that drops.

o

Maybe it's just the typical republican obsession with "ladies parts" and "gent bits". Notice how the two ads focus on the nether regions. The next ad you see should be Uncle Sam shoving a copy of the healthcare law down an elderly lady's throat.

o

Jerzee, that one made me laugh out loud. I think the Republicans are so terrified of the Affordable CAre Act because they fear it will work. It's already working for me--a recent medical incident make that very clear.

o

I did it TWICE! I have two kids ....

There, I'm out with it now. Everybody knows.

I feel better.

o

Yes I tastefully left out the man on the steel table waiting for the finger!
The Hysteria is quite enjoyable!

o

Had to look up Generation Opportunity..

"Generation Opportunity (GenOpp) is a free-thinking, liberty-loving, national organization of young people promoting the best of Being American: opportunity, creativity and freedom."

Yahoo!

o

Live Free Insurance free

o

Live Free Insurance free

o

The next ad you see should be Uncle Sam shoving a copy of the healthcare law down an elderly lady's throat.

Hahaha! If I see that ad I will assume it is nik!

I agree they are terrified it might make things better and they won't be able to take any credit.

o

You know things are desperate when even Ted Cruz is bailing!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

"I didn't say that Nik."

Chase, You know if your doctor asks you if you have sex with other women. The answer is yes she does, or no she doesn't.

You have a well run health care system and have repeatedly helped us understand how it works. Whether questions about your sex life are a routine part of your doctor visits, or not a routine part of your doctor visits, there is no reason for you not to give a straight answer.

Except for one.

You are an unfailingly honest person. You do not lie.

You will not say your doctor asks you about having sex with other women, because she doesn't.

o

Nik's response tells me nothing about what response Chase might make, but it sure does indicate what it is Nik fears to have to answer.

Hmmmm.

Kate

o

I won't even bother with a reply.

o

Actually I will because Nik's statements and claims are beyond ridiculous and I refuse to let her have the last word...and believe she "got me"! A fabourite pastime of her's....one she rarely wins.

My doctor has been my doctor for 25 years. She knows I am a monogamous, heterosexual female...we have had lots of sex talks over the years!

The answer is NO...every time I see her to have my meds renewed or my blood work checked , she does NOT ask me if I am STILL a monogamous , heterosexual female!!!!!

......I'm also damn sure that , in the same set of circumstance no Doctor in the States is asking a long standing patient the same thing.

Nik, for a smart lady you sure do have a knack at making yourself look dumb.

o

"Nik, for a smart lady you sure do have a knack at making yourself look dumb."

I don't know how smart I am, Chase, but it was easy to recognize from your posts over the years that you are a person of character. Thanks for confirming once again I've been right about you all along. You will not lie.

".....I'm also damn sure that , in the same set of circumstance no Doctor in the States is asking a long standing patient the same thing."

I agree. That was true in the past. But HHS is paying doctors to ask for information even doctors are calling inappropriate. Money is an incentive for doctors to ask and report back to government. To me, it's part of a familiar pattern.

Early in its first term, this administration asked Americans to report "misinformation" about health care reform to the White House.

I thought that was inappropriate. That kind of monitoring of citizens who post their opinions doesn't belong in the White House. The executive branch should not be passing judgment on what is or is not "misinformation" and the executive branch certainly should not be taking down names and numbers of those who post information, opinions or ideas it doesn't like.

If there were criminal acts, we have agencies to deal with that.
Not the White House.

The IRS and NSA scandals have confirmed that our government keeps crossing boundaries and when it gets caught it lies. It lies about everything from what it collects to the extent of the information it collects to who it collects it from.

I am therefore suspicious of the latest government scheme to collect information on private citizens.It's a boundary issue. Some here have argued (predictably) that government must "need" to know who has sex with women, how many partners, yada yada yada. They trust that it must be "for our own good."

But if it were a legitimate need, I would expect it to be important for the Canadian system, too. Your government has far more experience with what it needs to do to keep people and communities healthy.

That is why I asked you if intrusive questions like the ones our government is paying doctors to ask routinely had any place in your system. I want to thank you again for letting me know they don't. As I suspected, Canada's system runs just fine without turning your doctors into paid interrogators, and offering them extra money to report on your sex life.

Here is a link that might be useful: remember when? report disinformation

o

" I want to thank you again for letting me know they don't"

Please stop misrepresenting what I say!

I did NOT say doctors in Canada didn't ask those questions. I said my doctor of 25 years has not asked me.

I don't know what a doctor gathering information on a new patient might ask but I suspect sexual history would definitely be part of the data gathering process.

o

"Nik, for a smart lady you sure do have a knack at making yourself look dumb."

Even though I was annoyed at your constant misrepresentation of what I say coupled with a sarcasm not lost on me that comment of mine was out of line and totally unnecessary.

I apologize.

o

Hmmmmm.

Doctors, or anyone has no business asking personal questions not relevant to the topic at hand.

People should be under no obligation to answer and I'd walk out the door if I were asked personal questions I did not feel was necessary to treat me, and no one had better ask any information about guns.

o

Agreed, but they can ask if it's relevant, right? Sexual history would be appropriate for OB-GYN doctors or regular doctors that were looking into issues like bladder issues or a prostate exam?

o

Perhaps, but not in the form of a question for those living under rocks that don't understand or care about their own bodies and how their own behavior affects their health.

Giving someone information about possibilities or increased probabilities of some conditions that may be brought on my certain sexual behavior is preferable to asking the person personal questions.

Especially with digitized medical records and the government spying on us at every turn, I can easily see personal information being used against people.

It's simply no one's business if one doesn't want to share and one isn't applying for a job where it is relevant.

o

I agree that people don't have to answer those question if they don't want to and certainly if they are not relevant.

But if they are relevant and they don't answer them then their doctor could be a bit hindered in understanding their whole physical condition.

Is anyone saying here that these questions HAVE to be answered?

o

I choose to worry about government intrusion that actually matters -- like my civil rights and dignity being trampled on by security theater every time I ride a plane -- rather than taking umbrage over the fantasy that there is a some intrusive plot behind a few innocent, optional, public health-related questions.

o

It's simply no one's business if one doesn't want to share and one isn't applying for a job where it is relevant.

Who said you had to answer?

Doctors have asked all sorts of questions about medical, and if appropriate sexual behavior, for a long time. Nobody puts a gun to your head and makes you answer the questions. They didn't before ACA and they don't now. They didn't before Obama was President and they don't now. Just more ridiculous ramblings by those that hate the President.

o

This discussion and accusations from the Republicans is only because they are obsessed with people's sex life and think Democrats are too.

The Republicans cannot stand gay people because it is suppose to be one man and one woman.

The Republicans have proposed and passed laws to invade women's bodies to the ump-degree.
-Claimed they cannot be raped,
-They want vaginal probes
-If a woman has a Miscarriage it has to be reported to the police department to be investigated.

The Republicans have been inserting themselves into every aspects of women's sexual health and now they want to scream that doctors are now required to ask sexual questions because of ObamaCare.

This just comes from they know what they do, what and how they think, and what they think about. They are sick and they think everyone is as sick as them when they get the power they use it to invade your personal, sexual life.

It is funny they want no parts of giving their money, food, health care but goodness mention sex and they are all over that area.

So Nik since you are the OP and you are a smart lady. Do an analysis of which party has been concerned about other people's sex life. Which party has been focusing on food for the poor, housing, and all those entitlement programs. I think you will realize that you have no fear from ObamaCare

If I were in your shoes I would be afraid if a Republican got a hold of that report that you are sleeping with women or had a miscarriage after being raped and did not report it to the police so they could investigate you.

Those Republicans might want to throw you in jail and at the least disown you. You have to be a loyal, blind listener to anything that the Republicans shovel into your mind and cram down your throat.

o

This is the first time I've gone to this thread, and by now ,after reading it all ,my head is spinning. I don't recall any doctor asking my sexual history. I have only ever had a primary care physician, and have never seen any specialist except OBs back in the 60's when I had my kids. But the three primary doctors I've had never asked the questions. My present doctor is relatively new to me since my long time one and personal friend opened an expensive boutique practice. New doc has typed in all my answers about family history into his little device, but never asked personal questions. I only have seen him once and will go back in December for the annual checkup, so I'll be on the lookout and answer any and all questions he asks.

o

Nikoleta, I request that you come back and report to this forum the first time you are asked what you believe to be inappropriate questions by any doctor you visit. Will you agree to doing that?

This entire thread is based on "what ifs", not on any actual experience. I think actual experience would be quite substantive and that your providing it, if and when it occurs, would be quite relevant.

Will you agree?

o

I'm beginning to wonder about the secret sex lives of Republicans. Seems like Democrats have nothing to hide and therefore do not fear the doctor's questions or the intrusion of President Obama into their private sexual lives.

I know -- overstated. But still . . .

Why are Republicans so uptight about their private sexual lives? What are they doing that they want to keep hidden?

Kate

o

I would bet, Kate, it has something to do with the very things they're hand flapping and trying to legislate against...

o

Why are Republicans so uptight about their private sexual lives? What are they doing that they want to keep hidden?

You mean the ones that are against abortion, yet tell their mistress to get one when she gets pregnant?

The ones that are constantly going on about "family values" all while having affairs?

The ones that were trying to impeach a President while having an affair?

Those Republicans?

o

"I did NOT say doctors in Canada didn't ask those questions. I said my doctor of 25 years has not asked me."

Fair enough. I should have chosen my words more carefully. Under your well run health care system, your doctor does not ask you if you have sex with women.

I want what you have. In twenty years, "Do you have sex with women?" has never been a question my doctor found relevant. It won't be relevant at my next visit, either. But it may come up anyway. If that happens, my relationship with my doctor will be forever changed.

I will know he is asking unnecessary questions because the federal government is paying him to report back with the answers. That doesn't sound like a healthy doctor-patient relationship to me.

"Even though I was annoyed at your constant misrepresentation of what I say coupled with a sarcasm not lost on me that comment of mine was out of line and totally unnecessary. I apologize."

No apology necessary, Chase. I didn't hear "Nik, you're really dumb!"

I heard "Nik, you may be reasonably intelligent, but sometimes you say stuff that sounds really dumb!" Big difference.

"Those Republicans might want to throw you in jail and at the least disown you."

Marquest, I disowned the GOP back in 2007. I became an unaffiliated/independent voter because I don't trust the "establishment" leaders in either party. I think both sides of the aisle could use a good fumigating, starting with John McCain and Harry Reid.

"This entire thread is based on "what ifs", not on any actual experience."

That is not true. Read the article and the replies from folks here. Nobody just "imagined" they were asked the kinds of questions the article tells us to expect. Some here have already heard them. Doctors are among the critics. Patient confidentiality is at the heart of healthy doctor-patient relationships. If government had a legitimate need for this information, it wouldn't have to bribe doctors to hand it over.

o

"An Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (AFDB) is a type of headwear that can shield your brain from most electromagnetic psychotronic mind control carriers. AFDBs are inexpensive (even free if you don't mind scrounging for thrown-out aluminium foil) and can be constructed by anyone with at least the dexterity of a chimp (maybe bonobo). This cheap and unobtrusive form of mind control protection offers real security to the masses. Not only do they protect against incoming signals, but they also block most forms of brain scanning and mind reading, keeping the secrets in your head truly secret. AFDBs are safe and operate automatically. All you do is make it and wear it and you're good to go! Plus, AFDBs are stylish and comfortable.

What are you waiting for? Make one today! Instructions at the link....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Nik, I promise you that Pres. Obama has absolutely no interest in whether you are sleeping with women or not.

Besides, if you are not and the Dr. asks you if you are, all you have to say is NO.

Or if you are and your Dr. asks and you don't want your Dr. to know, then just lie and say NO.

No one is going to give you a lie detector test to see if you told the truth or not.

So what is there to worry about?

Kate

o

Or if you are and your Dr. asks and you don't want your Dr. to know, then just lie and say NO. Or you can plead the fifth.

o

If you're going to lie to your doctor, why even bother going to him? If you expect help, you have to be truthful.

The entire premise of this thread makes no sense... it's just more hand flapping to cast a shadow on any kind of health care change... even though it's so obviously needed.

o

Are all those commenting against patients telling physicians about their sexual activity so knowledgable about medicine that they would know all the symptons / conditions that might be connected to a STD? Even those symptons that have nothing to do with reproductive organs?

Are all those against revelations of sexual activity certain that all spouses are faithful, and would never pass on a STD to their faithful partner? Perhaps you could tell what good it would do to treat the faithful partner without treating the unfaithful and infected partner?

I see more of the popuar HT occupation -- practicing medicine without a license.

o

I will know he is asking unnecessary questions because the federal government is paying him to report back with the answers.

Oh boy ....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here