Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changes

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 14:40

Not Hot just struck me how much the world has changed while so much of it continues to carry out the same old stuff over & over.
This is a Flash mob party in HANOI of young gay people.

No the police didn't come and crack their heads open or fire tear gas.
Gay sex is legal between consenting adults in Vietnam they had their first Pride Parade this last year.

Ho Chi Min City (Saigon) has a very lively night life!

It's just not the thing that comes to mind when I think of HANOI! Maybe it's just my age!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changes

Well, judging by their costumes and their faces (it is a picture, after all), it looks like we missed a really good party.

o

We (the US) bombed the crap out of them to keep us from become brainwashed robots.
63% of Republicans believe there were WMD's in Iraq.
The number of Republicans who believe OBAMA is a muslim doubled since the last election & probably the same number credit his Pastor Reverend Wright for many of his erroneous political views!
CHANGES!

o

Very colorful! Sounds like Vietnam is not exactly liberated though, in the matter of its gay population:

Viet Nam: Treatment of homosexuals, including legislation, availability of state protection and support services

"Legislation and treatment by authorities

While homosexuality is not illegal in Viet Nam (ILGA May 2009, 48; Homozen.com n.d.; Utopia-Asia n.d.b), homosexuals are not protected against discrimination (Pink News 26 Oct. 2007; Gay Times n.d.). Some gay travel sources note that homosexual conduct can be prosecuted for "undermining public morality" (ibid.; GlobalGayz June 2007; Utopia-Asia.com n.d.b). Gay news sources report that same-sex marriages are illegal (Pink News 26 Oct. 2007; Gay Times n.d.). According to Gay Times, gay marriage was banned in 1998 after officials failed to stop two lesbian weddings from occurring (ibid.).

In a 2 May 2008 article, the Ho Chi Minh City-based newspaper Thanh Nien quotes the head of the Hanoi-based STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and AIDS Prevention Center as saying that "[t]hose who are open about their sexuality cannot even get an ID card or work for public companies"; corroborating information on such restrictions could not be found among the sources consulted by the Research Directorate. However, the United States (US) Department of State's Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2008 states that there is "little evidence of discrimination based on sexual orientation" (US 25 Feb. 2009, Sec. 5).

GlobalGayz reports that police generally leave gay people alone, at least in Saigon (Jan. 2008). Further information on treatment by police could not be found among the sources consulted by the Research Directorate."

Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, Viet Nam: Treatment of homosexuals, including legislation, availability of state protection and support services, 8 January 2010, VNM103323.E, available at: http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/docid/4b7cee8e37.html [accessed 26 September 2012

o

Oh Thanks that was really helpful! I Wonder why the Government was considering Marriage equality in August. Must be a sneak Communist plot.

o

"I Wonder why the Government was considering Marriage equality in August."

Dunno. Maybe the info from the Canadian site is out of date?

o

LOOK IT UP?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here