Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update: Baby Messiah

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 15:15

Since we discussed recently, In case anyone missed the update:

A Tennessee judge reversed a ruling Wednesday ordering a mother to change her 8-month-old's name from "Messiah."
The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, and father could not agree on a last name, which is how they ended up at a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court last month.
Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the baby's name be "Martin DeShawn McCullough." His name included both parents' last names but left out Messiah.
"The word 'Messiah' is a title, and it's a title that has only been earned by one person - and that one person is Jesus Christ," Ballew said.
On Wednesday, Chancellor Telford E. Forgety Jr. overturned Ballew's decision, ruling that the lower court acted unconstitutionally. He said the lower court violated the establishment clause of the U.S. Constitution, and added that the court's purpose was to determine the last name of the child, not his first name.
Jeleesa Martin's attorney said they appealed Ballew's decision for two reasons: the mother and the father agreed on the first name, and the decision was unconstitutional.
"I was shocked. I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs," said Martin.
The child's name is now Messiah DeShawn McCollough. McCollough is the father's name.
Martin said she's relieved.
"I'm just happy - I really don't have nothing to say. I'm just glad it's over with," said Martin after the ruling.

IMO, the original judge should be removed from the bench for overstepping. What a complete waste of the court's resources to have to spend time and money to reverse this decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: Story

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update: Baby Messiah

I just hope they don't nickname him something like "Messy".

o

Oh dear. What nerve of that judge to unilaterally change the kid's name. What kind of mind does this person have to think that would be an okay thing to do?

As far as names go, Messiah is not really bad. People really want unique names and that will certainly be one of them.

o

yeh, my squad leader was Jesus(hehsus) Gonzalez and I trained a horse for an Amish man named Christ(crist, as in crisp) miller. Some people either don't put much thought into a name or, they put way too much into it?

o

We are a secular nation, not a Christian one. It's not the right of anyone to change a baby's name because of a religious belief.

o

It's not the right of anyone to change a baby's name because of a religious belief.

True, but it goes even further...it's not the right of anyone to change someone else's baby's name for any reason. What made this judge believe she had the right to do that for any reason? I just don't understand the thought process.

A similar story on a much smaller scale...when my daughter was young and in Hebrew School, her best friend's name was Sara. The Hebrew School teacher told Sara that she was spelling her name wrong and it is 'Sarah'. Everytime the teacher would write her name she would add the 'h'. Sara would tell her there was no 'h' but the teacher would tell her she was wrong and there was. Really? Who the F did she think she was to change the spelling of a child's name that was given to her by her parents? Of course, the child's mother (my best friend) went and had a little talk wth the teacher to correct her.

But at least that was just a religous school teacher, not a judge. Not someone with the power to actually legally change the name.

The nerve of some people just amazes me!

o

No doubt, Jill... who do they think they are? The naming and spelling of those names is strictly up to the parents... not to someone with clashing religious views.

o

"The naming and spelling of those names is strictly up to the parents."

Agree. I think. What if the parents wish to call the child something that might be considered really offensive to a lot of people; certain 4 letter words, for example.

Like the "c" word or the "f" word, or how about a name that's generally considered derrogatory, like the "n" word. We're not talking about common sense here, but rather, the principal of the thing; the right to name your child what you wish to name him/her.

o

We're not talking in terms of lacking common sense or extremes, here, though... we're talking about the plight of one mother to giver her child what is a reasonable name... outside of religion. And since this is not a christian nation, the name chosen should stand. It's neither extreme, nor lacking in common sense. It's a name. It's the name she chose.

And in what IS a secular nation, how dare any authority inject their personal brand of religion into what is purely a legal matter?

o

I keep thinking of a song that was called "A Boy Named Sue".

o

Elvis, the courts have asserted their right to intervene with the naming process on several occasions when names might, in the court's opinion, create hardship for the child. One father named his son Adolf Hitler, and it went to court. The judge said that such a name would subject the child to mental abuse or harm, and forced the parent to rename him.

But the decision was made exclusively for the benefit of the child, not to pander to the religious beliefs of the judge.

o

Point taken, Hayden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here