Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Alzheimer's a type 3 diabetes, caused by junk food?

Posted by dicot (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 15:23

I'm basing this off George Monibot's piece n the Guardian - both are darlings of Left, no doubt - but I'm missing it if there's anything partisan about the science underlying Monibot's article. The section that caught me is:

"...Researchers first proposed that Alzheimer's was another form of diabetes in 2005. The authors of the original paper investigated the brains of 54 corpses, 28 of which belonged to people who had died of the disease. They found that the levels of both insulin and insulin-like growth factors in the brains of Alzheimer's patients were much lower than those in the brains of people who had died of other causes. Levels were lowest in the parts of the brain most affected by the disease.

Their work led them to conclude that insulin and insulin-like growth factor are produced not only in the pancreas but also in the brain. Insulin in the brain has a host of functions: as well as glucose metabolism, it helps to regulate the transmission of signals from one nerve cell to another, and affects their growth, plasticity and survival..."

Other later research backs this up. Given juvenile diabetes rates, are we potentially creating a real future idiocracy? While blood sugar management has greatly reduced diabetes deaths in the US, it's s still a growing epidemic. Scary stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alzheimer's viewed as a metablic disorder

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Alzheimer's a type 3 diabetes, caused by junk food?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 15:39

The bottom line is sugar is an inflammatory agent. Recently a finger was pointed at high fructose corn syrup, for it having deleterious effects on the brain and so forth.

My mother liked her sweets, died of complications of stroke. I think there was a relationship, turned out she had had a stroke some years before the second one, that caused her death (from aspiration). Trying to address her cardiovascular problems they subjected her to a procedure that made a clot form and get up in her brain. Knocked her to the floor one day, and that was the start of the end.

Big Food is making gazillions plying the population with fats, sweets, hydrogenated oils etc. I read a lot of labels.

o

Interesting article there has been a long studied connection between insulysin & alzheimers.

o

Is Alzheimer's a type 3 diabetes, caused by junk food?

That was my impression. I read an article about this a number of years ago but it didn't go into much detail.

-Ron-

o

My mother came down with shingles in Jan. While researching it, I came across a study about a connection between shingles and alzheimers. I have noticed a deterioration in her memory since shingles struck. She was so knocked back by the shingles, she said she overdosed herself on her BP medication to stop her heart. She was just so depressed by being in pain and so so fatigued. The thing is, she showed no signs of any overdose. I came to beleive she didn't really take all the pills she thought she took.

Anyway, they did studies on brains of people who had passed and had alzhiemers, they found the herpes virus (shingles is a herpes virus) in the brains. Now she is having issues with cold sores - another, supposedly different, unrelated, herpes virus.

Everything in your body afects everything else in your body at cellular levels. How can it not?

o

Scary stuff.

o

It seems very plausible.

o

I always heard that chicken pox as a child would sometimes exhibit itself as shingles later in life.

o

Yep, chicken pox virus remains in the body and can cause shingles. If you never had chicken pox, you won't have shingles.

Now....people had dementia(Alzheimers?)stokes and diabeties long before there was junk food.

The longer we live, the more apt to have these problems. They may be caused by old age.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 19:37

Childhood (and adult onset) diabetes is now epidemic. Frequent cancer is also a feature of modern industrial culture. The authors of The China Study thought cancer was a result of diet.

o

Insulin levels seem to play such a key role in health. My aunt died this past weekend, surviving her surgery to remove a benign brain tumor, but succumbing a few days later to the high fever that was caused by an undiagnosed diabetic condition. This has me a bit raw about the issue, admittedly, and my stepdad slowly slipping into senile dementia is the icing on that particular heavily frosted cake. I'd like to avoid this particular fate, guess I'll end up even more OCD about processed foods now.

o

I'm sorry for your loss, dicot.

o

I too am sorry for your loss dicot.

I looked at the references to Monbiot's article and was struck by the number concerning food addiction, because just yesterday I read an article by Dr. Mercola about fructose being metabolized the same way as alcohol. I accidentally ate some grape jelly made with hfcs one evening a couple of months ago and woke up the next day feeling like I had a hangover.

It also said fructose affects your brain in a way similar to opiates:

Fructose "buzzes" the brain like other narcotics, displaying both dopaminergic and opioid properties, which may be why people find themselves consuming such large amounts even while it is reducing both the quality and length of their lives.

Type 3 diabetes makes sense looking at the ways fructose affects so many organs and systems.

Here is a link that might be useful: dr. mercola

o

It used to be, with regards to shingles, that we would be naturally re-immunized against chicken pox as we were just out and about walking. Our immune system would get hit with the virus from passing children and we would just fight it off if we had already had it. But, now, children are getting vaccinated for chicken pox and we are no longer being naturally re-immunized for it and so our immune system is weakening against it. We are now more susceptible to shingles and the rates of shingles is now on the rise. I have had 3 friends in the past 18 months (mid-50's) who have had shingles. Apparently you can get vaccinated for it.

Now for alzheimers and adult diabetes,etc. I am almost 60 and 100 years ago I would have been near the end of my life. Nowadays I could easily live another 30 years. I wonder if my body parts are actually geared to work for that length of time even though I take good care of them.

o

That no doubt IS the reason Shingles seems to be at an increase. The immunization of children which doesn't allow us to build antibodies from exposure. I had relatives ,..mother and her sisters who had bad cases of it , so I have been immunized. I hope I don't get it. .

o

Interesting stuff about the immunity theory. Sounds logical to me. You can get a chicken pox vaccine booster. I got one. Even though I did have the chicken pox as a kid. In fact, I was re-immunized with all the childhood vaccines recently. I thought, why not?

o

I would lay money down that poor diet is the cause of many illnesses and health issues presently thought of as unrelated. If you look at what passes for foods these days, a lot of it does not resemble anything found in nature.

As example, we can't grow and pick Ho-Ho's or Cheetos, but we consume them in mass quantities within the US.

I have a sweet tooth, myself, and though I've drastically changed my diet to eating a more natural, organic one... mostly due to Lupus... I'm beginning to wonder if the EEG I had post accident, which turned up evidence of a few tiny mini-strokes, is more related to diet than to head injury. It's very possible it's a little of both.

Why is it we only seem to worry about our health as we get older, instead of heading any issues off at the pass by beginning good habits at the outset of life? ;-)

But seriously... it's entirely plausible that the article's information is correct. Look at what passes as our food source.

o

Michael Pollan wrote a book called "In Defense of Food" which is his take on today's nutrition and his mantra his "Eat food, not too much, mainly plants". He also suggests that if your great-grandmother would have trouble recognizing something in your kitchen as being food, it probably isn't. e.g as mentioned above - Ho-Ho's and Cheetos.

o

I would agree, Blfenton. Jamie Oliver, I believe his name is, is another proponent of healthy eating. My doctor is also, and is a fan of Jamie Oliver. One of his first concerns is that his patients are eating decently. From there, he tackles whatever health issues can't be solved by a change in diet, though it's surprising how many can.

His biggest no-no's are sugars and processed grains, empty carbs and bad fats.

Since switching to a healthier way of eating, it's surprising how much better I feel... physically, emotionally, etc... I think there's a lot more than we realize going on at a chemical and cellular level when we eat poorly. I also think people who eat poor diets may not even realize how much better they'd feel overall without systems loaded with chemicals and over processed everything.

o

I have not read all the posts as my eyes are tired so forgive me if this question was answered. Has anyone had the shingles vaccine? I am seriously considering it since my mom and one sister had come down with the shingles in their 50's. I would hate to have to deal with that very painful virus. I've had the chickenpox as a child. Oh, did I have them!!!

o

I don't doubt this connection at all, given what I've observed in my own life and that of friends. One of my friends' mother died of Alzheimers, but she, herself is grossly obese, a lover of junk food and addicted to sugar. I fear for her future. We are the same age, but she looks about 15 years older than I.

In my own life, when I weaned myself from all sugars in my early 30's, my hypoglycemia and foggy memory disappeared. I learned to replace sugary foods and junk with proteins, salads and vegetables and felt so much better.

I don't know how Americans can consume the quantities of junk snacks that they do. Our bodies were not meant to handle anything other than natural foods and they were never meant to handle the consumption of the quantities of sugars that most eat, without thinking.

o

I don't doubt this connection at all, given what I've observed in my own life and that of friends. One of my friends' mother died of Alzheimers, but she, herself is grossly obese, a lover of junk food and addicted to sugar. I fear for her future. We are the same age, but she looks about 15 years older than I.

In my own life, when I weaned myself from all sugars in my early 30's, my hypoglycemia and foggy memory disappeared. I learned to replace sugary foods and junk with proteins, salads and vegetables and felt so much better.

I don't know how Americans can consume the quantities of junk snacks that they do. Our bodies were not meant to handle anything other than natural foods and they were never meant to handle the consumption of the quantities of sugars that most eat, without thinking.

o

o

o

Both of my parents have dementia, not Alzheimer's and neither one at a lot of junk food. Both were slim their whole lives as well.

My Mother always had a slow thyroid which I believe in turn caused vascular dementia and my Father, well, if you live love enough, chances are that you will have some dementia, or cognitive impairment.

People are living so much longer but that does not mean the quality of life is good. I always say that I would have liked 10 more years of college but not 10 more years in my 90s.

o

I think fructose and other forms of sugar are poison when eaten in large quantities. I eat it and shouldn't, but when I'm off of it I feel so much better. It is very addictive. I gave up cigarettes 20 years ago with no problem, but the sugar, well have not been successful with getting that monkey off my back for good. The good news is I can't eat nearly as much sugar as I could as a young person. It just doesn't taste as good as it use to. If I had one wish in this lifetime it would be to become sugar free before I leave this earth.

o

That WAS worth repeating, Woodnymph! :-)

Seriously, though, I am sorry for everyone's losses within the arena of health related issues... I think we, as a general population, are simply bombarded by so much in the way of environmental and consumable products that are unsafe or unhealthy... it's almost impossible to avoid contact with everything harmful on some level.

Our food source is compromised, our environment polluted, even some of the clothing we wear is synthetic... we can't be sure that when we sweat, and our pores are open, that certain chemicals aren't leaching into our skin, or that the bottled water we drink doesn't have a certain amount of carcinogenic plastic leached into it, etc.

I think we've been poisoning ourselves little by little over the decades, to the point that some of it has actually altered certain genetic alleles, making some illnesses inherent.

And I think it could be said that avarice has played a definitive role in both our legislation on safety and health, and the lack of actual knowledge forthcoming from experts regarding our safety and health.

And while "personal responsibility" might play a role, as well... there's a lot of information that's either omitted, hidden, twisted... and a lot of products are allowed to be pushed through to market before they're fully tested for any length of time. Look at all the recalls over the years.

It's fairly clear, though, that we must do our own self-educating if we want to live healthier lives.

o

My danger time for snacks is the end of the night, when tired, stupid tv habits kick in. Not owning a car is all it's taken for me to lose weight and feel generally better though, I'm lucky my body is holding up enough to let me keep doing it. I wish we had safer bike lanes so kids and teens could be safe and ride off some of that weight.

Thanks for all the well wishes, about to head to the 105 F midday funeral now in all black. This thread has given me lots to think about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here