Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How big is too big?

Posted by silversword 9A (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 15:39

"Billed as the world's largest convenience store, the 67,000-square-foot colossus on Interstate 35 between Austin and San Antonio is 20 times the size of a 7-Eleven and longer than a football field. It features 60 gasoline pumps, 80 soda dispensers, 31 cash registers, 23 flavors of fudge and entire aisles devoted to varieties of popcorn and beef jerky.

The piece de resistance: 84 gleaming toilets, each with its own dispenser of hand sanitizer and shined at all hours by a small army of attendants.

"I wanted to build a facility that was bigger than need be," Mr. Aplin says of his creation, which looks like a Circle K designed by Willy Wonka. "But I have to admit I'm a little nervous. Did I overdo it this time?" "

Here is a link that might be useful: Not political

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How big is too big?

I wondered if the link would mention South of the Border. Sure enough!

o

You know, when I saw the title of this thread.... nevermind.

Anyhoo, if the guy wants to bankrupt himself, he's free to do it.

But at least he's employing a small army of workers to keep this monstrosity going.

o

Me too, HG.

Especially in light of Palin lobbing all kinds of dung - keeping her face in the arena to get it rubbed in it by anyone with half a brain. Among other things..."We already know that President Obama likes to "speak softly" to our enemies. If he doesn't have a "big stick" to carry, maybe it's time for him to grow one."

o

You know... everything kinda DOES seem bigger in Texas, judging by the photos...

But seriously... large truck stops exist outside of Texas, too... and some are just ridiculous in what they offer consumers! A little gas for the car, and a clean bathroom... that's all I care about when we travel.

o

"I wondered if the link would mention South of the Border. Sure enough!"

AWK!

o

I wish we had larger convenience store parking lots in many regions as there isn't enough room for commercial vehicles, or vehicles towing boats and trailers, especially at the gas pumps.

Too many don't sell diesel, non ethanol fuel or things many tourists want like camping, fishing and boating supplies, block ice, propane etc.

Many of our stores are large enough and have a decent selection, but they're under-staffed, so checking out takes longer than shopping and checking at a grocery store, or a Walmart.

Some need a dedicated cash register and cashier just to handle scratch-off, lottery ticket and cigarette sales.

I get a kick out of all the super-stores with a gazillion registers, but only a few of them operating.

Many stores have an incredible peak capacity, but due to poor management they do a poor job of matching numbers and performance of workers (mostly cashiers) to peak customer demand.

o

You know, when I saw the title of this thread....

Once you go black...

o

Really, Heri, you are going to trot out that myth? It's as ugly as the rest.

South of the Border, btw, in addition to being annoying (though I almost don't notice the billboards anymore), is a sad run-down heap now. Pedro (aka Joe developer from Carolina) is no doubt planning his next delightful move.

o

Methinks Heri's comment was mocking the idiot Palin telling Obama to grow a bigger stick.

That said, Silver--there you are! I kept being on the lookout for you.

o

It's an oxymoron. How convenient can a 67,000 sq. ft. convenience store be?

o

Methinks Heri's comment was mocking the idiot Palin telling Obama to grow a bigger stick.

Exactly.

o

Will we go back to regular old protestant white men, then (can Mormon be considered protestant?)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here