Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overturning Doma

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 16:00

Case after case judges have found DOMA unconstitutional! I expect about as much response as usual on this.
"More than fifteen parties including New York City, three states, members of Congress, civil rights and religious organizations plan to file briefs today in support of Edith "Edie" Windsor's constitutional challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
Eddie's spouse died & she paid a huge tax bill on the estate as her marriage is'nt recognized by the IRS.

In June, a federal district judge in New York ruled in Windsor's favor that section three of DOMA does "not pass constitutional muster." Todays briefs were filed in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, which will hear arguments in the case on September 27, 2012.

It's coming!

Local governments including the city of New York; and the states of New York, Connecticut and Vermont; The Partnership for New York City, a group of CEOs from New York City’s leading businesses; 145 members of the U.S. House of Representatives, spearheaded by House Judiciary Members Jerrold Nadler and John Conyers, Jr., along with Barney Frank, Tammy Baldwin, Jared Polis, David N. Cicilline and Democratic Leaders Nancy Pelosi, Steny H. Hoyer and James E. Clyburn; The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund; Bar associations and civil rights, religious, cultural and LGBT organizations; Social workers and national mental health and medical organizations; Labor unions; and professors of U.S. history, family law, and family and child welfare law.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overturning Doma

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 3:23

"It's coming!"

I'm waiting with bated breath. When it comes, then we can.

o

Human Rights!!

o

Imagine the howling if anyone had to pay $363,000 tax bill on the estate of their spouse on this forum.
See this is where the hypocrisy is most pronounced for me with some of this crowd.
The Tax crowd screams no tax & states rights.
OK The State of NY & The nation of Canada say this woman is legally married. Her spouse Thea died and left her money to Edith.
It's never been about law it's all about religion & the tyranny of the majority.
I have posted this story before it went to court I've posted about it after she won in court. The swell will push that splinter in The republican platform out to sea.

I have a feeling Edie won't even live to see it happen though she's 32 & not well. (Not that that should matter to the case)

o

It's never been about law it's all about religion & the tyranny of the majority.

Agree.

In June, a federal district judge in New York ruled in Windsor's favor that section three of DOMA does "not pass constitutional muster."

So much for the law-and-order types. Not even their laws are lawful.

o

But you see, besides the fact that this caters to their usual bigotry, the rabbling is about their taxes, not other people's taxes.

o

Yep phony states rights lovers backing a platform that would abrogate states rights! Phony fiscal conservatives that prefer health care based on public opinion as we can see in the other farce of a post currently running shams all the way round & happy thinkers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here