Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your party's convention:

Posted by mylab123 z5NW (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 16:44

Are you happy with it? Do you think your party did a great job with the convention? Any criticisms?

I think our party did a great job, an outstanding job. I am of great hopes that it will result in more democrats and those actual Independents in the true sense of the word - all those who would rather have Obama win the election rather than R&R team win - to get out and actually vote.

I think Obama's speech was fine, effective. I would have liked it to be closer in effectiveness to Clinton's, but I also realize that would be practically impossible.

Everyone did a terrific job, as good as could have ever been expected from Democrats I think - especially the beautiful Michelle Obama, our First Lady.

However, it's not over yet, not even nearly. There are still the debates.

Everything could be fabulous, the debates could be won hands down and still, the President could wake up the mornig after the election as a private citizen rather than as President of the U.S.

If enough conservatives will vote for anyone (such as R&R) rather than have Obama serve another term as they have repeatedly stated - we remain in deep trouble because I suspect there won't be the same voter turn out for Obama as there was in the last election.

Even from those who still vastly rather Obama win over R&R. Wanting it and wanting it enough to face the prospect of voting day and all that means after often a long day at work - that would be the question. Are they willing to go through the process again, or will they assume that everyone else will do so and that will be enough for Obama to win?

I fear a lot of voter laziness which could lose the President the re-election.

I so hope I'm incorrect.

I still suspect it will be a very tight race, for exactly that reason.

How do you feel your party preference did at it's convention?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your party's convention:

I agree our multi cultural convention was a huge hit and even Republicans are saying that. No one can upstage Clinton but Obama and Biden gave tremendous speeches. And Michelle is the best first lady ever. What a smart nice lady she is. Jill as well.

The hatred the Right has for Obama is the problem. Clinton said no president could have done better with what he inherited THANKS to the GOP who now want to "fix" it. With the GOP using every dirty trick they can think of , it will be close. I'll do my part for sure.

o

I look forward to the debates because then everyone watches and sees the same thing. Bring it.

o

I don't have a party.

o

Hi. Nice to see this forum is still plugging along with the same familiar members. Too bad I can't spend much time here anymore, it is the political season at its peak now.

I think the DNC convention was brilliantly executed and highly successful.

And I have to confess, I have a hopeless crush now on Michelle Obama, much more worthy of a 15 year old boy than a 47 year old man. Her speech the other night merely cemented that. Alas, she is a married woman, please don't tell her husband, I understand he is a bit of a powerful man himself, I wouldn't want trouble, LOL.

Honestly, all joking aside, I think she would be a natural to follow the path that Hillary Clinton did and much earlier Eleanor Roosevelt did, and enter into public office on her own accord. I could easily see her serving in the Senate or in a future cabinet position. Only if she wanted to, of course.

o

According to Gallup, Obama got a really big bounce from the Convention so I would say it was successful. I really enjoyed listening to the speeches. Oratory is an art form and every speaking style was on display at this convention and they all did such a good job.

o

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 18:08

"I don't have a party."

Me either. I think assumptions are made based on which issues I take issue with, either for real or as devil's advocate, just for the sake of discussion. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does that, but maybe I am. The idea of actually baring my soul here gives me the willies. That doesn't mean I'm intentionally being dishonest, so don't start.

I'd like to hear about Nancy's party.

o

I'd like to hear about Nancy's party.

She's stated she's an independent too...just like you.

-Ron-

o

Conventions are nothing but pep rallies. Bring on the debates. I'm an independent also. Michelle Obama sure speaks quite eloquently for a woman who hated America right up until her husband was elected. You go girl, that's the American way!!! Her words, not mine, so don't jump on me. Talk to her about that.

I seem to remember the Republicans also had a multi cultural convention but every time a person of color or descent other than white stood up to speak, every channel with the exception of Fox news, panned away.

o

Posted by fouquieria 10b (My Page) on Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 21:51

"I'd like to hear about Nancy's party.
She's stated she's an independent too...just like you."

-Ron-"

Sorry about that. Nancy must have made the statement I was referring to on another thread. My bad.

o

"Conventions are nothing but pep rallies. Bring on the debates. I'm an independent also. Michelle Obama sure speaks quite eloquently for a woman who hated America right up until her husband was elected. You go girl, that's the American way!!! Her words, not mine, so don't jump on me. Talk to her about that.
I seem to remember the Republicans also had a multi cultural convention but every time a person of color or descent other than white stood up to speak, every channel with the exception of Fox news, panned away."

That ENTIRE post is why most people have trouble with some people calling themselves Independent.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 23:13

Since FOX was brought up, I was watching Charlie Crist on several channels but FOX conveniently ran a long series of commercials until he was off stage. That was during O'Really's slot and naturally there was no mention of Crist once O'Really was back on air.

o

I'm always surprised by the so called independents of this forum my experience is that they never are!

o

Posted by greatgollymolly (My Page) on Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 22:39

"I seem to remember the Republicans also had a multi cultural convention but every time a person of color or descent other than white stood up to speak, every channel with the exception of Fox news, panned away."

Interesting; I didn't notice that. Is that an accurate statement?

o

Independent = I don't vote along party lines. I voted for Clinton, once. He turned out so bad and not so bad. Give him credit where credit is due and talk about him like the dog he is on a personal level. He's a snake I wouldn't trust now any further than I could throw him. He made a great speech for himself, not Obama.

I vote for the person, not the affiliation. I would not judge Obama by Clinton's record nor would I judge Romney's run with that of Geoge Bush. These are individuals and all come with their own experiences. As I see it people who vote strictly along party lines are ignorant and that goes for both sides. I came close to voting for Obama the first time until I read his books, listened to what came out of his mouth, then realized he was not a good choice for president, maybe a community organizer, but not a president. He's proven me right over and over again and every time he opens his mouth I smile knowing I didn't contribute to that mess.

o

"I came close to voting for Obama the first time until I read his books, listened to what came out of his mouth"

I am all ears. How did his book change your mind? How has he proven you "right over and over again"? Since you are an Independent, what distinguishes you from a Republican specifically?

o

Cool. But what I was asking about was whether your statement that: "I seem to remember the Republicans also had a multi cultural convention but every time a person of color or descent other than white stood up to speak, every channel with the exception of Fox news, panned away." was accurate. I WAS watching Fox, so I really don't know, but it would be interesting if you are right.

o

I don't know why so many posters bother to proclaim themselves as independents since on this forum at least they take very partisan positions quite regularly. If you are going to argue for Republican positions, why not be up front and call yourself what you really are--a Republican.

Myself, I'm a Democrat who has occasionally crossed over to vote for a pro-choice Republican here or there--back when there used to be Pro-choicers in the Republican Party. They are all in hiding nowadays.

Kate

o

Because with some people it's not about black & white. There are shades of gray. It's entirely possible to agree with some "Republican positions" and some "Democratic positions", disagree with other positions of both or either party, or disagree with all of both. There seems to be a tendancy on the part of some people to assume that because one challenges one party's position or the other, that they must be supportive of the opposing party to that position.

Simply not true.

o

I've yet to meet a birther who is an Independent. They generally are so far to the right they are a tea party supporter.

But I'm sure Elvis would be the first, if she is accurate in her claim of being an independent moderate conservative AFTER she announced she was a birther - if, in fact, it's even possible to be both a birther AND an independent moderate conservative. Which I suspect it is not.

There are a lot of people who are "independents" who are not independent at all. They are simply much further to the right than are republicans, so they have declared themselves to be independent from republicans.

Stranger and stranger,isn't it - however, the tea party is supposed to accommodate such political leaners, and I do think it does a super fine job of doing just that.

o

I'm a registered Democrat but I have voted for Republican mayors in NY more often than I have voted for Democrats.Most of the so called independents on here are curiously quiet on Republican challenges & spouting all over the place to bash Dems just an observation. Adjectives count for something as does omission!

o

Mylab, you've repeated that I'm a "birther" several times. When did this happen: "...she announced she was a birther"?

o

Since California now has open primaries, there's no need for me to be a registered Democrat anymore.

I don't know that I would call myself an independent as it's not by choice. Other than the miniscule third party - and only in California - that I'm registered with, I wish there were a larger organization that represented my views.

o

"Other than the miniscule third party - and only in California - that I'm registered with, I wish there were a larger organization that represented my views."

So what party is that?

o

Elvis, why do you care? You can't vote for it in WI.

o

Curious--I have family out there in Tinseltown.

o

So do I. So what?

I find it interesting that not a single person not voting for Obama and yet is still an R&R defender has yet said thus far on this thread that they considered the GOP convention to be a good and effective convention.

Uh-oh!

Heck -
not a single person responding thus far on this thread who refuses to vote for Obama but yet still defends R&R as worthy to the office will even refer to themselves a MEMBER of the GOP much less call themselves a (gasp!) Republican!
If that doesn't signal trouble in paradise, I don' t know what does.

Uh-oh, all over again!

o

Republican has become a dirty word thanks to George Bush , so all the Repubs here are now "independents". I think I said on another thread that I have always voted Democratic since I was eligible to vote and never ever miss an election. That wasn't entirely true. In 1980 I voted for John Anderson(I), and I voted for John Heinz(R) for the Senate here in PA, because he was a liberal Republican. He was killed in a plane crash and his widow is now married to John Kerry who I also worked for.

I have a plethora of Obama signs in my garden house from 2008 when it was my job to place them at strategic spots and then go collect them after the election. I figure I'll need them because in the Alabama part of PA where I live, they will be stolen by the lovely radical teabaggers.

o

I noticed today that I have not seen a single Romney bumper sticker, nor yard sign. L.A.'s Westside wears its liberal heart on its sleeve, but I saw Bush signs/bumper stickers in 2000 and 2004. Romney? Niente!

Can't be embarrassment because the Bush signs were there.

o

Nancy - I was recently thinking the same thing about bumper stickers. Here in central NJ I think I have only seen one. There were lots of Bush and McCain bumper stickers. Interesting. I hope it means something.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 9:31

Nancy, the repubs are still hoping for a last minute switch and don't want to waste the money on signs yet.

The Last time a door-to-door super salesman named Karl Rove sold US a vacuum cleaner it caught on fire and burned down the living room. We're still reconstructing the damage and now he's back knocking on the door pushing a toaster...are we that stupid?

Mitt Romney 2012
He'll make you Toast!

o

sadly, yes, we are that stupid.

o

My neighborhood is a majority Republican area. McCain and Palin signs were prominent. There is not one R&R sign. These are the same places that had Corbet signs our Republican Governor.

I have talked to some of my neighbors and they are voting for Obama this time so I am pretty sure regardless of the voter ID law Pa is going for Obama. But I live in a area that has a majority of college educated professionals that according to the poll takers are the ones that vote according to issues and not party.

To answer your question.....I watched both Conventions. Not only was I happy with my party's convention I was thrilled every night of the presenters on the stage and energy, message and the fact that there was no doubt they support the re-election of President Obama. Thumbs Up Convention from everyone including Republicans that were willing to tell the truth.

Plus it was a fact and truthful convention.

o

This is happening here as well,. I see hardly any bumper stickers of either side. I've seen no Romney ones and only a few Obama ones. I have seen one Romney sign on my daughter's street and no Obama ones in the yards. I didn't put mine out yet. I remember the last election someone put a sign next to my sign saying AlQueda lives here. Nice, but to be expected.

o

Most areas in my borough do not have sidewalks and parking on the street is not easy. So there is no easy access to stop and remove or vandalize any signs.

I do not know if they are old bumper stickers but I am seeing a lot of Obama bumper sticker. I did laugh the other day I saw a Obama sign that has been on one lawn so long it is almost unreadable after 4 years of going through all the weather.

o

Re: the conventions. While the RNC got no bump, different polls now show the DNC got a 7% bump with Obama's at 52%. now.

o

I noticed that a friend of mine has finally gotten rid of his McCain sticker ... by covering it with a Romney/Ryan one.

Here in heavily Republican Georgia, I have only seen a very few bumper stickers for Romney.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here