Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
School Administrators Use N-Word to Describe Students, Teachers

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 17:52

And we wonder about what our kids are learning at school! Read this:

Racially charged text messages are behind the recent resignations of two Philadelphia-area school administrators, district officials say.

A 100-page transcript provided by sources reveal a series of N-word-laden text messages were exchanged between Coatesville Area School District Superintendent Richard Como and Director of Athletics and Activities Jim Donato. The messages were written and received on district-issued cell phones.

"All should just have whatever first names they want...then last name is N-----! Leroy N-----, Preacher N-----, Night train n-----, Clarence n-----, Latoya n-----, Thelma n----- and so on," read one message sent from Donato�s phone on the night of June 4.

"Great idea! Joe n----- bill n----- snake n----- got a nice ring to it," Como replied.

"hahahahahahahahahahahaha could have whole homerooms of N-----," came another message from Como�s phone.

"hahahahahahahahaha! Will N----- report to office, pardon the interruption but will N----- report to nurses office. N----- to lunch now!" Donato said.

The Coatesville Area School District confirmed late Monday the two men left their posts after the school board began the legal process to terminate them over the texts.

Read the rest of this story at the link below.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Philadelphia School Administrators use N-word

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: School Administrators Use N-Word to Describe Students, Teache

Was wondering how the messages came to light; sometimes I pay more attention to text than videos. The link video indicated Donato took his phone to be fixed.

Beyond revolting. Will be even more disgusting when these two get to walk away with their pensions.

o

Good grief. Good riddance. I'm glad this came to light.

o

My shoulders just slump every time I read something like this. They slump in confusion, in pity, in the ignorance of it. I just don't understand how the colour of one's skin brings out such hatefulness, such derision, such unacceptance of others. I just don't.

o

This awful mess is occurring not far from where I live and has been at the center of the localnews here for several days. When I read this article in the paper this morning, I could hardly believe my eyes. Ugly.

o

What also amazes me about the whole thing is that someone could be promoted to the level of superintendent and not have a clue that such language is totally unacceptable! He had to have been in the school system for years as a student and a number of years as a teacher and/or administrator in order to become a superintendent, didn't he? How could he not know?

What were they (superintendent and coach)--like two junior high kids sneaking around saying dirty words and feeling cool? And they were put in charge of the children's education!

Kate

o

Probably lifetime members of one of these happy groups.

Pennsylvania

Ku Klos Knights of the Ku Klux Klan

Export Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan
Honesdale Rebel Brigade Knights of the Ku Klux Klan

York United Klans of America

o

"What also amazes me about the whole thing is that someone could be promoted to the level of superintendent and not have a clue that such language is totally unacceptable! He had to have been in the school system for years as a student and a number of years as a teacher and/or administrator in order to become a superintendent, didn't he? How could he not know?"

Of course he knew. i think Kate nailed it right here: "were they (superintendent and coach)--like two junior high kids sneaking around saying dirty words and feeling cool?"

Yup.

o

What nasty racists Pennsylvania has produced!

And might I add not too bright to use employer issued phones.

o

Here's a couple more comments from the reported story.

This information is a bit discouraging.
Como and Donato have not been paid since their resignations, but will be allowed to collect their pensions unless they are convicted of a crime, officials said.

However, it's nice to know that other people in charge have non-racist heads on their shoulders!
"The texts that we have reviewed are appalling," Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan said Monday. "They look like something from the 1800s, not 2013."

Other protestors agreed:
Furious over the messages, residents protested outside the district's headquarters on Monday. One man held a sign reading "[Superintendent] Como worse than KKK!"

"They shouldn't even be in the school and they shouldn't be able to get a job no other place teaching anybody," said another resident Willie Woods.

Willie may need to work on his grammar, but his humane sentiments are right where they should be! (Besides, look at the kinds of teachers poor Willie may have had!)

Kate

o

With surnames of Como and Donato, you would think that they would have some idea of the harm of negatively identifying others by race / ethnicity.

Cretini maleducati.

o

"My shoulders just slump every time I read something like this. They slump in confusion, in pity, in the ignorance of it. I just don't understand how the colour of one's skin brings out such hatefulness, such derision, such unacceptance of others. I just don't."

I don't, either.

o

Shocking. And sickening.

I agree with those that are surprised the Superintendent was able to rise as high as he did.

o

I'm surprised by y'all's surprise. Seriously?

o

I'm surprised by y'all's surprise. Seriously?

Me too.

I don't know which is worse. Supers using racial slurs or school teachers going down on their students.

Will higher pay will fix it?

o

I would prefer to think that this is an anomaly. I don't believe that these two men are indicative of the people of PA, or all people who live in the northeast. Racists exist in every region of the country. Like roaches, they scurry for cover when a light is shined on them. It's good that they outted themselves.

o

The day that I am no longer surprised by this kind of behaviour is the day that I will have given up on people's ability for growth and acceptance. I hope to never do that because if I do I will feel defeated.

o

Like roaches, they scurry for cover when a light is shined on them. It's good that they outted themselves.

If that was true it would be perfect. The problem is they do not know they are a roach. They just say things and think it is right. We see it every day even here at HT.

It is sad when you don't know you don't know. It happens all the time.

o

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 13:27

Like roaches, they scurry for cover when a light is shined on them. It's good that they outted themselves.

If that was true it would be perfect. The problem is they do not know they are a roach. They just say things and think it is right. We see it every day even here at HT.

It is sad when you don't know you don't know. It happens all the time.

No, what is sad is a poster that thinks fellow posters on this forum are roaches.

What is even more sad is that the poster felt a need to post to say that.

o

PA is a hotbed for racists. Trust me, I read the blogs. It's usually found in the central part of the state(Penntucky) like the rogue cop who was fired last week shooting off his machine gun and his foul mouth in a video he released on youtube. I was surprised in was in the Phila. area.

These guys should be prosecuted and NOT receive a dime of their pension.

o

demi, you do know what a metaphor is, I assume.

o

Posted by pidge z6PA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 13:45

demi, you do know what a metaphor is, I assume.

I assume you also are smart enough to realize that I do not think that marquest actually thinks posters are insects.

What is even more sad is your post to suggest I thought that.

o

I assume.

Pidge, may I suggest that you change your wording to pass HT's exacting (and ever-shifting) standards: I presume.

Otherwise it's robo-rant time.

This has been today's HT public service announcement (especially for those who missed the 'difference without a distinction' thread).

o

No, what is sad is a poster that thinks fellow posters on this forum are roaches.

So...it's ok for MrsK to refer to these 2 from PA as roaches because of their racist rants. But, not ok to do the same about racist rants here?

I'm just trying to keep with the ever changing demi rules for HT.

So far, here's what I have:
someone demi likes (ie, agrees with) says something, well anything: A-OK
someone demi doesn't like (ie, disagrees with) says something, well anything: NOT A-OK

o

So far, here's what I have:
someone demi likes (ie, agrees with) says something, well anything: A-OK
someone demi doesn't like (ie, disagrees with) says something, well anything: NOT A-OK

And then like a flash, jill jumps right in there!

o

and Mrs jumps right behind......

o

And the whole damn thread is hi-jacked for no good reason. Again.

Please forgive this long-time lurker and occassional poster for butting in, but don't you guys get tired of having the same exact exchange on practically every thread posted? Honestly, I've been reading this forum for many a moon and have seen so many interesting and potentially informative topics abandoned to wrack and ruin because someone has to get their undies in a bundle and everybody piles on. And before you jump to conclusions about who I'm talking about, I've seen/watched both "sides" start it.

Apologies for the rant to all not involved and feel free to take whatever shots you feel are necessary about how I never participate, who am I to say anything, etc. Please remember, though, that this is the reason WHY I don't participate. Probably true for many, many other lurkers.

A shame, really.

o

kitcat, I apologize if any of my posts keep you from participation, it would never be my intention.

o

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 14:19

So...it's ok for MrsK to refer to these 2 from PA as roaches because of their racist rants. But, not ok to do the same about racist rants here?

I'm just trying to keep with the ever changing demi rules for HT.

You would do better to remind yourself of the only rules that count here, jillinnj--and that is the rules of Gardenweb Hot Topics Forum.

First--I haven't seen any racist rants here from anyone.

Second--this is what marquest said, and comes about as close to calling other posters roaches as one can:

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 13:27

"Like roaches, they scurry for cover when a light is shined on them. It's good that they outted themselves.

If that was true it would be perfect. The problem is they do not know they are a roach. They just say things and think it is right. We see it every day even here at HT."

But as I said, talking about other posters is preferable to discussing topics for most everyone left here.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 16:30

o

You are right, kitcatclub, and I apologize for sometimes being almost viscerally unable to resist adding my totally unnecessary two cents.

o

A lovely catch-22 you present to me, Mrs. If I accept your apology, you get to assume (or presume, heh) I was blaming you for not participating. If I don't, I must have an attitude problem or some such. Neither is the case (or the point), but I do thank you for the offer.

Nevermind, I doubt it makes much difference. Apologies to the OP for the hi-jack. Perhaps I'll start my own thread.

o

This type of all too frequent presentation has given HT a bad reputation around the GW, kept lurkers in lurkdom, and chased away long time posters. It often becomes an early Festivus - but skipping all the Principles except the "Airing of Grievances".

I hope you stay.

o

You are right, kitcatclub, and I apologize for sometimes being almost viscerally unable to resist adding my totally unnecessary two cents.

Ditto.

I hope you'll stay and post more often, kitcatclub.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 17:15

I am not surprised by any ugliness/hatred ... the fact that these two morons used "technology" that is not secure says a lot about their "supposed" intelligence.

As for their pensions, maybe we should just call it a "golden parachute" and no one would object :)

o

I hope so, too, kitcatclub, if for no other reason that I love your handle.

Back to topic: I find it crucial to continue to discuss the racism of school officials and the terrible damage it does to students of any color or ethnic or religious background. This episode underscores the racist thread that runs through American culture and that has expanded ever since we elected an African American president.

o

As the OP, I accept each and every apology. And thank you, Pidge, for getting back on topic.

I think it is especially ironic--or maybe the word I want is "paradoxical"-- that the breaking down of the racial barriers as represented by the election (twice) of Pres. Obama has simultaneously caused more public expressions of racism than I have seen in the past 30 or so years. Maybe I just missed some earlier episodes, but it seems to me that the racist talk has intensified since Obama was elected--or perhaps it is that it has become more public as opposed to being more privately muttered under their breaths to each other.

Kate

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 17:59

I agree Kate, the rabid racists have definitely "come out of the closet" and the anomynity (can't spell today) of the internet has allowed them to spew their hatred, and yes right here on HT. When a poster referred to black people as "street monkeys" I was shocked and disgusted more by the "he is not violating the terms of HT" then by the ignorance and hatred of the remark. Thanks to those who did speak up, the rest I took your advice Pidge etal (wish you would do the same) and now SOB.

No longer hiding under the sheets eh?

o

It's so strange, isn't it? We elect the 1st African American President, both times by more than 50% of the popular vote, and yet somehow people seem to now feel more free to say these awful racist things. And, yes, even though some apparently prefer to shut their eyes and pretend it's not there, it happens right here on HT.

I don't get it and I never will.

o

or perhaps it is that it has become more public

I think so too.

anomynity (can't spell today) of the internet has allowed them to spew their hatred

I think that it's more than that; the number of internet-only sites attached to right-wing personalities also feeds the increasing public expression of bigotry. While these same people would not say some things on public airwaves due to criticism, an internet site "flies under the radar" and is not subject to the same type of push back.

o

I agree as well.

When a poster referred to black people as "street monkeys" I was shocked and disgusted more by the "he is not violating the terms of HT" then by the ignorance and hatred of the remark.

I agree with that as well. It gives them an excuse. Like that they can feign innocence and can claim they never said/say that or even think it yet it is a passive-aggressive way for them to show support for those that do.

o

Please show me where anyone ever referred to black people as "street monkeys" on HT. That would certainly be a violation of forum rules. Hopefully you reported that poster.

o

my own dd floored me by her "mocking" clients speech... while I know it's part frustration in her job (social worker) but when one of the dgds did the same, dh called her on it...told her that wasn't nice..

he probably should have said the same thing to our dd...

o

It's so strange, isn't it? We elect the 1st African American President, both times by more than 50% of the popular vote, and yet somehow people seem to now feel more free to say these awful racist things.

That is why I feel that it is not a majority that feel they have a need to be racist. The people that feel free to say awful racist things were saying them before the President was elected.

If people have not progressed in their life as adults and still have this need and this is all they have in their heart and mind that is sad. It is a need because if they felt they were in a good place in their heart and mind this type of hatred would not be an issue.

We can take great pride that it is not the majority. If this was the majority of the citizens we would not have elected a African American President.

o

Something just doesn't sound right here. Let's say these are two racists. Can they really be so dumb as to send these texts, and then even dumber not to delete them? Guess they could be. Or maybe a couple of drunks? I don't know. Anything is possible.

Criminal charges? Wonder what they might be?

There's got to be more to this story. I'm just too tired to look into it tonight. Maybe another day.

Unless, maybe, pidge will keep us informed on the story.

o

The election TWICE of President Obama has brought out all the haters who were hiding , and the internet makes them bold, but still invisible.

The sheets are coming out though. Next week the Klan will be at Gettysburg National Park. Oh, it's so good to be an American.

o

"Something just doesn't sound right here. Let's say these are two racists. Can they really be so dumb as to send these texts, and then even dumber not to delete them? Guess they could be. Or maybe a couple of drunks? I don't know. Anything is possible."

Deleting does NOT mean it's gone.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 7:00

Oh how very odd...........yesterday I watched the excellent film "42", and the most racist northerners were the Phillies.

And you'd be shocked and appalled at the racism of school personnel here, it's often considered normal, right thinking opinion, and when I say something, I'm called a "whatever" -lover, and a radical, bleeding heart, unpatriotic, etc. But I keep pointing it out. Wife and I discussed how racism could become uncool and uncouth, and how it could evolve into the mark of an idiot, here, as in the US. And we both are skeptical, but we keep trying........

That film was made abut a time no more than a decade before I as born, and we have really come a very, very long way. Get these guys out of power over educating, and make them irrelevant. Their irrelevance is our victory.

o

From the newspaper this morning: The man who blew the whistle on the school officials in Coatesvilee was the technology director and had been asked by Jim Donato to get him a new blackberry because Donato said the one he had looked too "girly." Turns out the tech, a Lebanese-American, didn't know he ws one of the targets until later. Donato referred to him as a "camel-monkey" among other slurs. It may be that someone may take the fact tht the whistle-blower Is of Lebanese extraction and that the middle school director who worked with him to bring this to light is a woman to denigrate them both.. But what they found cannot be brushed under the rug.

Batya, also here in the Philadelphia area, a new rule is going into place to forbid high school sports team members AND THE SPECTATORS from hurling racial and ethnic slurs at each other during and after games. It can pretty ugly at some of these games.

o

We can take great pride that it is not the majority.

Yes, I agree. But the numbers of people willing to say this stuff still shocks me. Maybe because of where I live, I assumed it was a very small minority that thought this way and an even smaller minority that actually said it. Unfortunately, it's a bigger minority than I realized and that saddens me.

here in the Philadelphia area, a new rule is going into place to forbid high school sports team members AND THE SPECTATORS from hurling racial and ethnic slurs at each other during and after games.

A "new" rule? Really? There was no rule against this before? Shocking.

o

It's unfortunate that a rule has to be put into place to force decent behaviour.

o

Maybe because of where I live, I assumed it was a very small minority that thought this way and an even smaller minority that actually said it. Unfortunately, it's a bigger minority than I realized and that saddens me.

I know Jill, I would have thought it was a smaller minority if I had not had the job of traveling to so many cities. My circle of friends, where I live and the way I was raised it was not possible for me to see the racism or understand why it makes them feel good.

The Christian complaint of those that are not Christian I see on HT I agree with is "my fear" of not honoring my faith to harbor that kind of hatred. It was something that was specifically taught in my home of "do not go down that road". It is a pathway I cannot go down and feel good that I am following what I say I believe in my heart.

I mentioned the travel issues with Airport Security. It was the same in restaurants in some cities and areas of some cities. It is a eye opener. HT has had me scratching my head a couple of times too when it is obvious that it is further than the D or R issue.

o

Any local updates on this one pidge?

Can't believe a big story like this one would die after a couple of days.

o

October meet Google.

Why can't you do a search for yourself? Info is out there if you want to know. I'm on my phone so not going to post link. This is a good opportunity for you to introduce yourself to Ms. Google.

o

I don't like google. Too many paid-for listings to wade through.

Any other suggestions jill?

o

Any search engine will do.

Try Dogpile.

o

*snork*

o

Or train yourself in the fine art of discernment when it comes to search engine sites. Or rely on the generosity of others to do research for you. Or remain willfully ignorant.

So many choices; what to do? What to do?

Snork.

o

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, let me see if I have this straight.

You don't "like" google. But you want to know the information you asked about. So, instead of doing what it takes to get that information for yourself, you'd rather just sit around and wait for it to be GIVEN to you.

Is that right?

You know, kinda like you're always complaining about all these people that live around you, those poor people, that are just sitting around waiting to be handed whatever it is they want?

Ironic, isn't it?

o

Snork: (verb) the act of unintentionally inhaling a liquid refreshment through one's nasal passages via the back of the throat, thereby causing a 'snork' sound to emanate from behind the clenched teeth of the victim. Occurs most frequently when sudden laughter has been induced by an unforeseen event, audio-visual item, or comment.

Now I get it. Drinkers.

o

Did you find out the answer to your question? Or are you still waiting around for someone to give it to you?

Now, it's pretty clear that what you're hoping is that this story was totally made up and not factual. What did you find out about that?

Where's that personal responsibility you talk about so often? Does that only apply to those "others"?

o

I don't think there's any way to turn this around on others, suggesting they are at issue... when it was others who suggested varied search engines in lieu of one not liked.

A snork or a snort would be a heartier version of scorn than a simple snicker... and no, not the candy bar kind.

There is often more than one single definition for a word... it's important to consider context when looking for that definition... otherwise, my definition of snork might look something like this:

(From Wikipedia)

"Snork (Snorken) (Niisku in Finnish) - The Snork Maiden's brother, also friends with Moomintroll. He and his sister first meet Moomintroll in Comet in Moominland. He is described as mauve in colour, though changes to a pale green when frightened. His character is obsessive over details, rules and protocol in the books. In the Japanese TV series, he develops as an avid inventor, constructing crazy things including once a tricycle for Moominmamma's birthday."

As a footnote, I use DuckDuckGo.com as a preferred search engine... though there are many others. Remaining willfully ignorant would not be my chosen option.

o

"Now, it's pretty clear that what you're hoping is that this story was totally made up and not factual. What did you find out about that?"

Not a thing, as you probably already know ;-), which leads me to conclude that you are right. Totally made up/and or not factual.

o

I suggest you work on improving your search abilities, elvis. Plenty of information out there on this story. But, hey, if it makes you happier to think it's made up, that's your right. And, quite frankly, not at all surprising.

o

"But, hey, if it makes you happier to think it's made up, that's your right. And, quite frankly, not at all surprising."

Seeing that you think that way: "quite frankly, not at all surprising" is really very distressing. How unhappy you must be to be so callous and dismissive of someone you don't know, but are speaking directly to; what a shame.

o

Why do conservatives always tell liberals how unhappy they are? Do you think it hurts my feelings? Do you think I care if you think I'm unhappy?

So strange.

And, how is my happiness, or lack thereof, related to your inability to do a simple internet search to gather information on a news story?

Or was that just another conservative deflection technique?

o

Well, Jill, we can be assured it's not - "a dried and smoked herring having a reddish color". ;-)

o

•Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 19:32

Did you find out the answer to your question? Or are you still waiting around for someone to give it to you?
Now, it's pretty clear that what you're hoping is that this story was totally made up and not factual. What did you find out about that? "

I found nothing jill., just like elvis found nothing. And you found nothing. I was so curious about the criminal charges they planned to bring.

Don't you findit odd that this big big story died such a quick death? Be honest now, jill.

o

I just went to Google, typed in "school superintendent uses n-word in e-mails" and the story popped right up. As for why it's not the lead story in every newspaper and national news program, it might be that thare are literally dozens of events that have occurred since then, including a government shutdown and other sundry situations. It's a silly game to pretend that there is some nefarious plot to hide the story. Get real.

o

Don't you find it odd that this big big story died such a quick death?

It hasn't.

A quick search shows that the two with the offending texts have resigned -- October 9 -- and the following as well: Grand jury investigation into Coatesville texting scandal

I don't think that it's realistic to expect a story on Coatesville -- population less than 15,000 -- to be constantly in the national news.

o

Deliberate ignorance isn't pretty, nor does it help with credibility and not very useful on a discussion board,

A pitiful excuse for the inability to access information. You apparently haven't been on there or any of the other search engines to know. For some people if it isn't from an email or on Faux news it doesn't exist or isn't credible.

o

Well there you go October. Three other people besides me were capable of using search tools to quickly find what you were looking for. Yet you and Elvis weren't able to. Wonder why that is. You do know that Internet search tools search more than fox and other right wing sites, right?

o

I don't even know why this is a big deal for october and elvis. Surely there are examples of racism, such as the goon waving a Conferate flag in front of the White House, that are at least as pithy examples of racism and a lot more national in terms of "news."

o

Three other people besides me were capable of using search tools to quickly find what you were looking for. Yet you and Elvis weren't able to.

Because for some their search capabilities are disabled unless used in conjunction with and motivated by ankle biting. But even the connecting the dots is still a problem.

o

"I don't even know why this is a big deal for october and elvis."

Not a big deal to me, patricia. I'm sure you are right about there being more egregious examples of racism in the news.

o

nancy: "I don't think that it's realistic to expect a story on Coatesville -- population less than 15,000 -- to be constantly in the national news."

Didn't expect it to be. That is why I asked pidge for a local news update. She refused. Oh well.

o

I didn't refuse, october, I just didn't come back to this thread until five minutes ago because your comment bumped it further up in the list of entries. Anyway, it took me about 4 seconds to find current information, so please do not look to me to keep you posted.

o

Don't we all have the ability to stay informed without the help of others should we so choose?

o

Guess what? Nancy's linked article is from Oct. 15th. After my inquiry.

Don't you people read?

o

Nancy's linked article is from Oct. 15th. After my inquiry.

I also made reference to a news item dated October 9 -- before your inquiry.

I'm not sure what the problem is -- there are ways of accessing information besides Google, but evidently no attempt was made. I don't know that I even understand October's comments coming after the refusal to use Google.

o

Guess what? Nancy posted her link on Oct 16th. Clearly that's the info she found when searching on Oct. 16th. Can't you read?

And, still not capable of doing your own search, eh?

Why do you continue to display your incompetence so proudly?

o

October why don't you just come right out and say what you are thinking? Why do you care if this story is still in the news?

You did mention in the original thread that you thought there was "more to it" ...whatever that meant.

i always wonder about folk who skirt things...makes me think they are embarrassed about how they think .....but then again if they were embarrassed about what they think why would they think it?

For my part what I think, I say and am glad to have the straight up debate.

o

chase: As jill always says, can't you read? Can't you comprehend what you read?

I just commented that there is probably be more to the story. If I knew what it was, I would've said so. I could guess several different scenarios. But why would I do that?

I'm patient. I can wait. You, well, seems not.

Or, you can ask frank. He knows what I mean.

o

Why wait, when the internet only requires a minimum of typing?

I even found that Richard Como is Perry Como's nephew. Now there's a useless piece of information.

o

I can wait.

For what? People to do for you what should be able to do for yourself? What happened to that personal responsibility you are always talking about? Does that only apply to other people?

Someone here has a reading comprehension problem. Clue: it's not chase.

o

"Or, you can ask frank. He knows what I mean."

You are right. I do have you figured out.

o

.......me too.

o

I am also someone who lurks but rarely posts because I know everything turns into a fight.

But, Lily...what is your problem with Kentucky? As a native Kentuckian I'm really tired of hearing about "Penntucky". Just as the whole state of Pennsylvania should not be disparaged because of a few, neither should the state or Kentucky or any other. Sheesh.

This post was edited by evenshade on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 17:18

o

evenshade, I live in PA and would never describe my state by the term to which you object. I agree that it's not appropriate to denigrate one state in a way that denigrates another. Fair is fair and the term "Penntucky" is not fair to either state.

o

october, if there is more to this story than what has been reported, which I do not think that there is, then it is up to you to find it out. No one is going to do your work for you. I think you are on a fool's errand here.

o

Thank you for your opinion, pidge. I really appreciate it. It means a lot when someone with a PhD gives me any attention. Really.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here