Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canada Closes Embassy in Iran

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 19:43

Hey whats up guys! I only know what I read!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh Canada

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canada Closes Embassy in Iran

Harper is struttin' again.

Likes to pretend he's a big boy every so often, plays like some symbolic gesture is going to show the world that he means business.

Like anyone would even notice that Canada closed an embassy somewhere?

o

I'm no fan of Harper....not even close , but this was the right call . I give him credit for doing it.

o

I don't think so.

In terms of getting diplomats and staff out of harms way... perhaps. But that's only if Canada feels sure that something is about to go down.

But cutting off a diplomatic, non-military conduit should be nothing but a LAST resort. By isolating Iran like this, it's just another step in pushing war against Iran.

o

On this we disagree......now how we going to 'splain that to Heri?

o

Oh shoot, you're right.

Maybe tell him that one personality is trying to gain independence from the other personality? That we are on the verge of a total psychotic meltdown?

o

Thank you!

o

Is this preparation in anyone's mind for the next step towards war with IRAN!

o

General Dempsey has once again let Israel know that he does not support an attack on Iran. Is Netanyahu willing to go it alone? I don't think he has much support even in his own country.

o

Perhaps, Labrea. And I have read speculation that we are getting our staff out of the way in anticipation for that.

Keep in mind that it isn't usually the MO of the Canadian government to close embassies as "punishment" or to make a statement.

Historically, Canada uses it's embassies as an open communication line even during conflicts. During the Iranian hostage crisis, the Canadian embassy acted as a communication line between Iran and the USA, and to safeguard and smuggle American citizens out of Iran. Closing an embassy pre-emptively signals to that country that we are not willing to use diplomatic measures or have open communication. That is not a usual Canadian path, but it IS typical of our current Prime Minister, who is always looking for a pat on the head from an American President.

But, there is always a chance that we have strong reason to believe that either Israel or America is getting ready to have all hell break loose in Iran.

Prime Minister Harper is a strong and vocal supporter of Israel. It wouldn't surprise me if Israel was gearing up to start something with Iran, that the Canadian government would get wind of it and are moving our staff out under this pretense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here