Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This does not represent us....

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 20:05

Just like not all Americans are like the people who made the weird anti-Islam movie that is sparking protests in Muslim nations, not all people in Libya are like the ones who killed U.S. ambassador Chris Stevens. Some of the people of Benghazi, where Stevens was killed, held a demonstration against terrorism and to show sympathy for the U.S. Libya Alhurra TV, an Internet TV channel founded at the start of the Arab Spring in 2011, posted Facebook photos of a rally there showing support for America and sympathy for Stevens. Here are some of those pictures:

There are decent people everywhere

Here is a link that might be useful: Pro-American demonstrations in Libya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This does not represent us....

Amen to that; thanks for sharing. They showed a lot of that peaceful demonstration footage on Fox last night. It's good to see.

o

What, are they apologizing? Good thing they don't live over here - people HATE when it seems like someone is apologizing for America.

o

There is good and bad everywhere. Thanks for posting the link.

Would be nice if the left in this country realized not all Christians are like the far right wack jobs either.

o

Are you saying that not all Muslims are terrorists, greatgollymolly?

That didn't seem to be the opinion you had on the other thread!

o

My Iranian hairdresser, a devout Muslim, is sick to her stomache over this. She was actually in tears today talking about the killings in Lybia. She says they are young radicals, mostly unemployed, uneducated, who are angry at everything and that it doesn't take much to igntite them.

It reminded me of the violent riots that happen in the US and Canada when young people feel threatened or disfranchised. Maybe different reasons but maybe just an excuse.

The important thing for all of us to understand is we cannot condemn an entire religion for the actions of radical elements within that religion. That's like condeming all Christians for the actions of Westboro.

Hatred is hatred.....and none of it it's good.

o

"Hatred is hatred.....and none of it it's good."

Yup. That's why I don't use the word; I don't even think about hatred, except when one of you brings it up--again. The way the word is flung around on this forum makes me wonder if some are desensitized to what it actually means. The endless statements that people are "Obama haters" is particularly disturbing.

But apparently that's just me.

o

The endless statements that people are "Obama haters" is particularly disturbing.

What, you think that Obama-haters don't exist?

Citywoman: He wanted to save the day after the raid and boost his ratings.

She thinks that Obama knew the embassy in Libya was going to be attacked but thought no one would be killed. And that he was going to capitalize on it.

You think she doesn't hate Obama? Get real.

o

So Elvis you don't think that those terrible attacks we're based in hatred, that that vile movie isn't hatred?

I can honestly say it is not a word I use often and not lightly but in the last week our so I must say what I have seen expressed here, about your President, is hatred. Hatred based on some misplaced fear, bigotry and quite frankly ignorance. It will be denied because it is not something we can see in ourselves...... it is so all consuming

It's been shocking and very worrisome.

o

I never used to use the word "hate"... it has a terrible feel to it. But it's become such an integral part of the fringes of our various societies that it must be used in certain context. It's not right, but there it is.

o

Chase, I don't know. How would I know that? Ignorance and fear caused them to do it, most likely.

o

Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 21:55

"Hatred is hatred.....and none of it it's good."

Yup. That's why I don't use the word; I don't even think about hatred, except when one of you brings it up--again. The way the word is flung around on this forum makes me wonder if some are desensitized to what it actually means. The endless statements that people are "Obama haters" is particularly disturbing.

But apparently that's just me.

No, it's not just you, it's me, too.

We didn't use the word, don't use the word, and didn't allow our children to use the word.

It's a very strong word, and I see it tossed around here on this forum all of the time, attributed to others by people who have never met them and know nothing of them, and take great liberty in publicly assessing the soul and intent of people--as they want to portray them.

It's a nasty practice, a very special and venomous practice of the word itself--to cause such harm by such capricious and prejudiced judgment.

One I don't practice, myself.

o

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 23:57

"We didn't use the word, don't use the word, and didn't allow our children to use the word."

Good for you, Demi. With the kids, for us anyway, it was akin to letting them play with toy guns. Not allowed.

o

"We didn't use the word, don't use the word, and didn't allow our children to use the word."

Hatred goes a lot further than saying the word. Your actions and words other than using the word hate can be just as if not more than hateful than saying the word.

Hate speech has become a religion for some. As long as you do not say the word hate you are okay?

o

WHAT?

Are you bound and determined to paint someone as a "hater?"

Think about it--if a person goes so far as to teach their children that it is wrong to hate and the word "hate" cannot be used, and is not used by anyone in the family, doesn't that say something about the person?

Like they do not approve of hate?

Ya think?

o

We didn't teach our kids not to use the word ... but we taught them not to use it lightly.

o

We were never allowed to use the word as part of our daily vocabulary. Severely chastised if we ever said we "hated" a teacher or our brother or the broccoli.

We were taught that the word was a powerful word never to be used lightly. We were taught that hatred did indeed exist in the world and that it could never be tolerated. We were allowed to discuss what hatred was, question why it existed and understand how destructive it was. To do that one had to use the word hate in it's proper context. When I use it here I use it in that context.

o

I think the reason a term like "Obama-haters" pops up here occasionally is because the irrationally intense and obsessive negative feelings some posters (and others in the news) have about President Obama seem more akin to actual "hatred" than to anything else. I don't think the term is being used lightly or ignorantly, but intentionally to say something about how extreme some anti-Obama-ite's reactions are--way over the line!

Kate

o

Would be nice if the left in this country realized not all Christians are like the far right wack jobs either.

I have said before that the far right wack jobs are a minority. But, they exist. And they are growing within the Republican party. IMO voting for the Republican party is a vote for those far right wack jobs because the party platform contains a lot of what those far right wack jobs want.

If you feel that way, take back your party. Please. Return the GOP to what it used to be. Then we can get back to talking about wanting the same thing and which road we should take to get there.

o

Demi that was not an attack on you or anyone. It is a personal peeve of mine. I do not think people concentrate enough on action and more on words that say the exact same thing. I never heard my daughter ever say the word Hate. I taught love, tolerance and understanding,

I can give you examples of what I mean by hate speech or actions. The Bus monitor that we discussed a few months ago.

1) That was hateful and there was a lot of hate speech. They taunted her about her dead child. You cannot get anymore hateful than that. Although I disagree that this woman should have gotten money for what happened because she did not do her job of correcting the kids. What those kid did was hate and just if not more damaging than saying "We hate you"

2) Calling the President a Muslim. If you say you are Christian and someone said you were an Atheist would you think that is loving? If you needed to vote and you presented your birth certificate and they said you cannot vote that you are not an American because you do not have a birth certificated is that not hate?

To ban a word only create actions that demonstrate a word. No difference.... you may as well tell your children to tattoo hate on their forehead. Hate is a word that describes your actions. That is what I taught.

o

As children, we were taught that hate was a word not to be used lightly. It was a word that we were discouraged from using.

As an adult, I still find it distasteful... but it does describe some currently demonstrated actions and sentiments being tossed about... both in the world today in general, and within our own country.

One thing is for certain... it stands out like a sore thumb where ever it resides.

o

In the meantime,

I'm reading that crowds have torched the German Embassy in Sudan in response to the "Innocence of Muslims" film.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here