Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
has anybody watched "the movie"?

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 21:17

So I watched this 13 minute version of the movie, some sort of trailer I hope. Long trailer but if that is the entire online movie, it was pretty horrible.

Anyhoo, my teenage son and his friends could have done a much better job of putting together a movie and editing it. I mean, this thing is AWFUL. Like worse than Jesus Christ Vampire Slayer or any of the 1950's horror flicks.

This is like some guy with a cell phone, a video editing program on their computer, a couple of friends with nothing to do, and their mom's old bedsheets to wrap around them as costumes.

Anyone else take a gander at this thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: has anybody watched "the movie"?

What movie? What is the name of it?

o

I heard comments from someone who had seen the trailer. Referring to Bacile's claim to have raised $5 million to make the movie, the quip was "he didn't spend any $5 million making that; where did the rest of the money go?"

o

Esh, the Innocence of Muslims movie.

Nancy,
Trust me, I'd be asking the same question. This guy didn't have financial backers, he had somebody who handed him 50 bucks, I swear. It. Is. Terrible.

o

Duh! Sorry about that.

o

Evidently the" crew" that filmed the"movie" say they were misled. They thought they were filming a movie about life 2000 years ago and there was no reference to Islam. After the fact the hatred was dubbed in.

Maybe yes, maybe no...maybe they are just trying to distance themselves from the consequences. For my part I think this jerk got exactly the reaction he wanted and that is sick....

o

OK, I watched the trailer.

I hope the actors - and I use that term very loosely - were also using assumed names for the credits on this embarrassingly bad movie.

The director can always fall back on check kiting as his day job.

o

I think you just insulted real actors.

And Chase, that's very possible. The voice editing is so bad you can tell exactly where the parts were dubbed in. Except for a couple of them who obviously are enjoying their role. The whole thing is like a parody.

And Mohammed's companions...gawd. Remember Team America, when he is dressed up as a "terrorist" by wiping his face with dark makeup and gluing cotton balls to his face? This one is similar, only they aren't using a puppet as the actor.

What the heck is that, spray tan?

o

HG/Chase, you are talking to yourself again. ;)

They interviewed one of the actresses and she claims some parts were overdubbed. Did it look like they changed words anywhere or did it just looked like it was not synced properly?

They also showed a script from the movie. Mohammed was named George. Apparently the only thing out there is this trailer. They are reporting that the film in its entirety has only been shown once at the Vine Theater in LA with only a handful of viewers. The theater was rented for the night by "Sam".

o

I don't know anything about the "movie" and it doesn't matter, that's not what these attacks were about.

The larger question is, why are so many upset about this free speech when they had no objections that a container with a crucifix with Jesus Christ on it submerged in the "artist's" urine, was funded by taxpayers through the National Endowment for the Arts?

I see Christianity and Christ and God condemned, ridiculed and scorned in our country everyday, and particularly on this forum.

But nothing can be said of Muslims that kill our ambassador and others and burn our flag--that's politically incorrect and any poster that dare question hate based Muslim actions is quickly castigated and told they are intolerant.

I don't agree with any of the disrespect from either side, or of either side--I just wonder why it's popular and cool to trash Christianity but equally popular and cool to defend Muslim extremists that kill innocent people and call for the death of Americans.

o

apples & felt hats.

o

I don't think anyone is upset about this as a matter of free speech. The issue is the intent and consequences of that free speech. Was the intent to deliberately incite hatred with the knowledge that violence could occur? If so many of us believe that is wrong.

Had there been a film created that intended to incite hatred against Jews or Christians I would feel exactly the same way.

For thinking people it is entirely possible to judge both the film AND the murderers harshly and negatively. Disgust for one does not automatically mean support for the other.

o

but equally popular and cool to defend Muslim extremists that kill innocent people and call for the death of Americans.

Who the HECK is defending the people that are rioting and killing innocent people?

o

I don't remember the Jesus/crucifix in urine being used as a scornful political statement intended to bring about the defeat of a specific and named Christian leader of some country--whereas "the movie" disparages the Muslim religion in order to bring about the defeat of a supposed Muslim-inclined leader (but actually a Christian) leader of our country.

Another difference. The Jesus/crucifix in urine was intended as art (perhaps in bad taste, as some feel, but nevertheless as art), whereas "the movie" makes no claim to be art and evidently is intended only a political statement.

Similarity. Both are protected speech under the 1st Amendment.

One other point: the statement was made that posters here think it is cool to defend Muslim extremists that kill innocent people and call for the death of Americans.

I am not aware that anyone has defended any killers or other extremists calling for the deaths of Americans. Could you direct me to any post that does that?

Kate

o

chase, as offensive as Christ immersed in urine, or Mary covered with elephant dung might be to Christians, I don't seem to recollect that they killed people or committed acts of violence because of it. The fact that this stupid movie has been playing on utube for six months and that as of 9/11 it had only had a couple of thousand hits, sort of makes it a non issue. But if people want to use it as an excuse to "understand" the violence and hatred again directed at the United States on 9/11. By all means, let us apologize for hurting their little feelings. What was it we did to offend them on the original 9/11 that cost 3000 innocent people their lives? Oh, I know...we exist!!! I apologize.

o

the cruxifix ( not christ) in urine would have provoked a different reaction if it was done by Muslums..
a society criticizing itself is not the same as an outside mocking another society.

o

mrs, guess you missed the last line of my post.

"For THINKING people it is entirely possible to judge both the film AND the murderers harshly and negatively. Disgust for one does not automatically mean support for the other"

NOBODY is apologizing and NOBODY is trying to UNDERSTAND. I would have thought ALL people, especially people of faith, would denounce the movie AND the killings. Certainly I do.

o

For thinking people it is entirely possible to judge both the film AND the murderers harshly and negatively. Disgust for one does not automatically mean support for the other.

Yes, and Obama's statements did both:

While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants.

And

I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi, which took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

o

I don't know anything about the "movie" and it doesn't matter, that's not what these attacks were about.

Demi,

That's why I started a new thread for this, because there were already threads discussing the attacks or whether they were tied to this YouTube movie, or the financial backers of "The Movie".

But I didn't see anyone who actually watched the movie and see what the fuss was about. After viewing this myself, all I could think was how poorly done this so called movie is. I truly HAVE seen better work out of teenagers with fifty dollar equipment and a couple of their buddies.

Unless you watch it, I don't think I have the words to describe how truly laughable this $5 million dollar film is. Like a really low budget comedy skit from a high school drama assignment, only with less acting talent and worse technology.

o

"Disgust for one does not automatically mean support for the other."

Precisely.

Freedoms come with responsibility. Some people choose to forget that part. And violence doesn't solve problems; it serves to make them worse.

I have not seen the movie or trailer, nor have I read the script... and I don't intend to... but I'm certain I'm not missing any stellar acting or anything good, judging by what I've read about it.

o

But esh, he lied

Yes, and Obama's statements did both:

While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants.

He and most liberals have no problem denigrating the beliefs of the Catholic church, and forcing them to do something which is against their teachings...so no, at least half of the US does not reject the efforts, and he is leading.

o

By all means, let us apologize for hurting their little feelings.

You keep accusing President Obama of doing this. Would you give me an exact quote (with source)in which he does this? I seem to have missed all his "apologies" for upsetting the "little feelings" of the terrorists who attacked on 9/11.

And who does "them" refer to? Since you seem to be referring to ALL Muslims, I guess that means you believe ALL believers of the Muslim religion are responsible for what happened on 9/11? Don't know what else you could be meaning there.

Kate

o

"But esh, he lied"

Mrs can you explain exactly how he lied????

o

At this point we cannot say that the movie is the reason these people lost their lives. Investigation is on going and it has been said that this was terrorist and planned and separate from the movie.

I have not seen the movie and have no intention to watch. I watch everything and try to be informed but I think I have heard enough of how bad it is that I do not need to watch the movie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here