Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
30,000 March on Bengazi

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 21:33

Oh would you look at that the Muslims are marching on the terrorists!
Aljazeera & yea I know CNN reported it too is reporting that 30,000 marched through the eastern port city on Friday in an unprecedented effort to demand the disbanding of powerful armed militias, in the wake of the assault that killed the US ambassador and three other Americans.

Here is a link that might be useful: pay back

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 30,000 March on Bengazi

What terrorists? You mean ambassador Chris Stevens died at the hands of terrorists??? On 9/11? What a bizarre turn of events. We now know Obama ran off to a fundraiser just hours after four American citizens were slaughtered. This incompetence is worse than the days of another buffoon, Jimmy Carter.

o

ready for an intelligent chat are you!

o

Rut roh. This isn't in the script. They are supposed to march in the streets yelling "Death to America"! They're ruining everything.

Nik, this doesn't bode well for your fallacies from the "Hillary Ignored Warnings" thread amongst others. so now you're looking desperate with this attempt at deflection.

This incompetence is worse than the days of another buffoon, Jimmy Carter.

No, I think GWB won that booby prize when he spent the entire month of August 2001 off and then went on to start two wars, all the while depleting our coffers including the surplus left to him. Not to mention his handling of Katrina and putting Brownie in charge of FEMA. Now that's incomptenence -- that's hard to beat! GWB is going to hold that title for a very long time.

o

"Oh would you look at that the Muslims are marching on the terrorists!"

Well, probably good news, for what it is. I'll point out that it's Muslims marching on Muslims. Beyond that, it seems to be citizenry marching against militia. It would be nice if they were marching in protest of the violence against the U.S....

o

"After what happened at the American consulate, the people of Benghazi had enough of the extremists," said Hassan Ahmed, a demonstrator.

Gotta spoon feed them everything!

o

It would be nice if they were marching in protest of the violence against the U.S....

Elvis, you have got to be kidding. Do you know anything about this story? How this started and why? Do you have any critical thinking skills? Try to connect the dots yourself without being needy and requiring spoon-feeding.

At least four people have been killed in the Libyan city of Benghazi after military police and protesters took over several militia bases.

The violence followed a day of protests by tens of thousands of citizens demanding an end to the armed groups.
The bases include the HQ of the Islamist group Ansar al-Sharia, suspected of involvement in an attack on the US consulate in the city.

Earlier, some 30,000 protesters marched through Benghazi calling for an end to the armed groups and a return to the rule of law.

There has been a wave of hostility towards the militias since US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others Americans died in the 11 September attack on the Benghazi consulate.

Many Libyans have expressed outrage at the attack on the US consulate, which followed a protest triggered by an anti-Islam film made in the US.

o

Posted by epiphyticlvr 10 (My Page) on Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 23:26

"It would be nice if they were marching in protest of the violence against the U.S...."

"Elvis, you have got to be kidding. Do you know anything about this story? How this started and why? Do you have any critical thinking skills? Try to connect the dots yourself without being needy and requiring spoon-feeding."

That's taking a lot of dot-connecting license. Too tenuous a connection. Like I said, it would be nice...but I don't necessarily buy it.

Will you kindly take your conscending tone and attitude and force it upward in your nose.

o

Apparently the critical thinking skills are still lacking in the GOP supporters.

They just regurgitate the right wing talking points. They ignore the facts because that requires the ability to use critical thinking skills that they don't have.

"Spoon feeding" doesn't help them out, they just ignore what is said, state they don't believe it, it other nonsense.

These are the same people who support the GOP, the GOP platform and still have no critical thinking skills.

Not what anyone would call a good combination.

o

Posted by littleonefb z5MA (My Page) on Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 23:56

"Apparently the critical thinking skills are still lacking in the GOP supporters.
They just regurgitate the right wing talking points. They ignore the facts because that requires the ability to use critical thinking skills that they don't have.

"Spoon feeding" doesn't help them out, they just ignore what is said, state they don't believe it, it other nonsense.

These are the same people who support the GOP, the GOP platform and still have no critical thinking skills.

Not what anyone would call a good combination."

Better refresh yourself as to the definition of "bigot". It includes persistant and obstinate intolerance of groups including but not limited to ethnic, religious, political..."

Yes, I'm talking to you.

Good night.

o

That's taking a lot of dot-connecting license. Too tenuous a connection.

Not at all. There are a number of reports from reputable sources - iow not the right-wing noise machine - where you can learn more.

Here's one report from the Voice of America:

Hundreds of protesters stormed the compound of one of Libya's strongest armed Islamic extremist groups in Benghazi on Friday, in the wake of the assault that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans.

The armed men at the base for the Ansar al-Shariah militia fired into the air to disperse the surging crowd, but eventually withdrew from the site with their weapons and vehicles after it was surrounded by waves of protesters shouting "No to militias.''

The group is suspected of involvement in the September 11 attack on the U.S. Benghazi consulate that killed the Americans.

​​Earlier in the day, tens of thousands of Libyans marched through Benghazi to demand the disbanding of the powerful armed gangs.

The anti-militia demonstrators demanded that the militias disband and that the government build up the police and military to take their place in providing security.

o

"That's taking a lot of dot-connecting license. Too tenuous a connection."

It's being reported on the BBC and CBC as well. Seems the Lybnians are still striving for what they fought for last year freedom and democracy.

Why is it so difficult for some to believe that the vast majority of Lybians are appalled by the violence and are truly sorry for what happened to an Ambassador they liked very much. Just like the men who tried so hard to save his life.

o

That's a hopeful sign. I really hope they can sustain this.

The Libyans took such terrible risks when they overthrew Muammar Gaddafi. To have these militia groups take over their country is such a slap in the face to all the good people of Libya who want to live in a democratic country.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 10:02

Are these 30,000 Libyans demonstrating that they are "Sorry"?
According to some posters this is a sign of weakness, the US should attack immediately!!!

o

This is what we've been trying to say all along... you can't judge an entire group of people by the actions of the one! How difficult is that to understand?!

Islam and Muslims are NOT the enemy!

Fanaticism is the enemy... and it resides here, as well as elsewhere!

o

That's taking a lot of dot-connecting license. Too tenuous a connection. Like I said, it would be nice...but I don't necessarily buy it.

Apparently even spoon-feeding doesn't work for some.

You believe the birther lies but this you "don't buy". You believe the lies that Romney spins but this you "don't buy". You believe the debunked movie "2016" but this, laid out for you by a multitude of credible sources, you "don't buy". I think that says it all.

o

The obstinacy is act quite often!

o

Epi, your examples are dots that can be connected.

o

Elvis, so glad you are talking to me, hope you slept well.

Bigot? I don't think so. Just stating the problems with those that believe as you do.

No matter what is said, no matter what is posted with factual info, you still are blind to the reality of what is fact VS fiction.

Stating the reasons for the problems, well that says volumes and says it all as has been stated by epi.

You believe the regurgitated talking points of the GOP, Fox News, etc. but can not/will not believe the actual truth.

You believe the absurdities, but not the facts.

You and others have been "spoon fed" the facts and you can't/won't believe them.

Call me or others a bigot all you want, just don't forget to look in the mirror.

Facts are facts, fiction and fantasy are not facts, refusing to believe the truth and being called out on it, well those are facts as well.

Refusing to use critical thinking skills, or unable to do so because they are lacking, well that is factual as well. If you used them, you wouldn't be spouting the absurdities that you do.

Open you eyes and ears to the truth for a change, you just might begin to learn the truth.

o

"ready for an intelligent chat are you!"

Always! :)

I wish we could have started earlier, though. It took you libs a whole freaking week to catch up with us dumb conservatives.

Last week, while you guys were lapping up White House propaganda, the rest of us looked at what was right in front of us. Took less than ten seconds to figure it out.

We just looked at the date, a dead American ambassador dragged through the streets, three other Americans murdered by rampaging Islamists, and RPGs at a "protest." We listened to the White House blame an American for insulting Islam, and concluded "Terrorists must be behind this!"

Libs saw the same things we did, listened to the same White House BS, and concluded "A video must be behind this!" LOL!

So tell me. When do all of the peaceful Muslims the White House insulted in Libya get THEIR White House apology?

By promoting the lie that Muslims just "spontaneously" go off on rampages, our hapless White House OFFICIALLY STEREOTYPED the entire Libyan-Muslim community. How insulting is that???

No wonder Libyans out marching. The White House stereotyped THEM to cover its OWN sorry behind. The White House should apologize to the American people for lying to us all week, and to the Libyan people for lying ABOUT them to the world.

o

"It would be nice if they were marching in protest of the violence against the U.S...."
Now how provincial is that? Of course Libyans exist to do the bidding of American right wingers. After the march, they will all settle down to a nice cup of Nescafe and watch American Idol.

o

a dead American ambassador dragged through the streets

Have you no shame, Madame?

Have you no respect for the memory of Ambassador Stevens?

Have you no respect for factual reports of the transportation of the Ambassador to the hospital in a private car as no ambulance was available?

Waving the bloody shirt is so 1800s.

o

Like I said before and was accused of being a bigot by one poster, critical thinking skills are lacking with some posters here on HT, are lacking within the mindset of the GOP and their supporters and all one has to do is read the posts on this thread to start with to know that is true.

They just keep regurgitating the same talking points, the same absurdities, the same lies and can not comprehend, or critically think about what they are saying, what has been posted as fact VS fiction.
They get "spoon fed" the facts and they ignore those as well.

Critical thinking skills don't exists with them, are not able to be learned, have no desire to be learned.

And remember, these people also have the right to exercise their right to vote and you better believe they will be their at the polls and voting.

o

I have noticed that those who lack critical thinking skills trumpet their abilities most loudly. What they fail to recognize is that anyone who has actually learned how to think is constantly on the lookout for bias and assumptions in their own thinking. That doesn't mean, of course, that they do not make mistakes in error or logic, but that they try not to.
Those who cannot think take umbrage when it is pointed out to them that they are parroting right wing news and propaganda sites, yet they are unable to examine their thinking. They continue to make the same mistakes because their ego becomes involved.

o

Not sure what to do,guess we are in big trouble compared to the rest of humanity, some will never comprehend...

o

Um, there's not even a need to "connect the dots" here. No connection necessary. Those dots cannot be any more smooshed up next to each other. Facts are facts.

-----------

a dead American ambassador dragged through the streets

nik - since you seemed so interested on the "I'm sorry" post, this is another example of your panic and hysteria showing.

o

"Have you no shame, Madame?"

Nope. The best way to honor Chris Stevens and the other dead Americans is to tell the truth.

They died at the hands of terrorists. I'm not the one who has been lying about how they died. That BS came straight out of the White House.

The administration blamed Islam instead of Islamists. For a solid week.

It is shameful that Chris Stevens and his colleagues died because our "leaders" chose not to provide them with the security they deserved. Even on 9/11.

Obama owns every bit of this failure. It was an amateurish mistake. But you go ahead now. Blame Bush.

o

I'm not the one who has been lying about how they died.

No one has lied about the deaths of the four U.S. citizens. The initial protest against Bacile's provocation was followed by an attack of armed Islamists.

Your continued claim that the body of Ambassador Stevens was dragged through the streets is not supported by fact. A number of us have pointed out the inaccuracy of your repeated statements, and we have been ignored.

o

The best way to honor Chris Stevens and the other dead Americans is to tell the truth.

Heed your own words. You haven't told the truth in years.

Repeating the r/w spin and lies is not honoring anyone nor is based on truth as has been shown to you time and time again.

o

Where in this world are you people getting this truth and these facts? Unless I see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears the actual event, I must depend on an interpretation of the event from someone else. All this hogwash about critical thinking and connecting the dots only brings you to the desired conclusion of the interpreter. All I can do then is see what I want to see, hear what I want to hear, and believe what I want to believe just like all of you here.

o

Bodies of six militiamen found in Benghazi after attacks on bases looks like street justice was cheaper than a drone!

Information can be generally had by sifting through numerous sources if anyone me included just watches Fox CNN or MSNBC then we deserve what we get.
back to whats being reported in AlJazeera & The Guardian.

It said the militamen were probably killed after the storming of the militia bases.

It didn't indicate which militia they were from.

"The bodies were found the day after crowds marched on three militia bases, including that of Ansar al-Sharia, blamed by many in the city for the murder of the US ambassador, Chris Stevens, earlier this month. Funerals were held for nine protesters killed when crowds tried to force their way into the Rafallah al-Sahati militia base early on Saturday morning."

The Tripoli Post said 3 protesters were also killed in storming these militia sites.

Seems McCain gets it!

Mohammed Yussef Magariaf, the recently elected head of the General National Congress, said in an interview in Benghazi that communications intercepted by the U.S. ahead of the attack linked al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb to another Islamist brigade known as Ansar al-Shariah.

The attacks on U.S. and other diplomatic mission in Libya, Egypt, Tunisia, Sudan and Yemen over the past few days were largely sparked by a film denigrating Islam's prophet. The incidents also laid bare the challenges confronting many of these nations as they emerge from the so-called Arab Spring uprisings.

"This is a turning point for the country," Magariaf said, referring to the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi that left the U.S. ambassador and three others dead. "Confrontation is necessary and inevitable with these elements. Today, it is the Americans, tomorrow it is going to be the Libyans."

Magariaf said the assault on the U.S. mission was part of a wider campaign to destabilize Libya, and the militants must be "confronted" by pro-government forces.

The posting sometimes gets one dimensional. Usually that point on the head of a poster with little curiosity.

(so sources Tripoli Post, Al Jazeera, The Guardian & Bloomberg.)

o

Thanks, Joe. When it comes to truths and facts, it is sometimes necessary to believe the reports of others because we can't all be right there, personally, at the Embassy, halfway around the globe, to see any happenings with our own eyes. We have to rely on the veracity of certain media reporters.

And that's where proper research technique and critical thinking skills come into play. We have to be able to read as many sources as are made available to us, and then separate the irrational from the rational, the twisted context from the truth. It's not as tricky as it sounds.

Once we know which sources are more liable to be accurate in their reporting, and we take a few moments to dig through those various sources, noting how many are reporting the same things, with video confirmation, we then have a clearer idea of what really happened. We can place all the puzzle pieces where they go, and see the story unfold, as it happened.

If we had to be there, in person, every time, for any news to filter through to our brains... we'd never learn anything about global happenings because we've constricted ourselves to our own tiny viewing area. That's the definition of a narrow view.

At some point in our lives, we have to take the word of others at its value. But we do so using those critical thinking and problem solving tools we developed while youths in school.

And the more sources we can view, the wider the array of truths and opinions we have to pour over so we can place all the puzzle pieces where they go. It couldn't be any simpler.

o

In Derban, apparently three militia groups have laid down their weapons and disbanded. At least that's what Al Jazeera and the BBC are stating. I'll remain skeptical until I hear from FOX.

-Ron-

o

jodik, It is not necessary to believe the reports of others. It is a personal choice. We never know who is accurate in their reporting, but we can choose to believe that our sources are accurate and we don't have to take the word of others at face value. We choose. It couldn't be simpler : )

o

"A personal choice" sounds very much like an opinion... not so much like a fact. There are huge differences betwixt the two.

I'm confused... it's a "personal choice" to keep a narrow view and choose which commentators to take your cue from? Is that what you're saying?

Say... is that anything like "personal responsibility"?

o

Yes. Thank you. You are correct. I want to believe the reports posted here, but I am cautious.

o

Well when all else fails I still have an old TAROT deck!

o

If Labrea's TAROT deck isn't any good, I'm sure I can find an old Ouija board and I'm betting I can find a black magic 8 ball as well.

o

They have to keep the lie going, for an obvious reason.

Shame? That'll be the day.

o

Now, now. Just because I've not seen this report in other news networks doesn't make it a lie maddie. As for you others, the use of cards , boards, and balls may give you comfort, but not me. --- Is that better? Do I sound like the idiot you folks think I am? Why intimidate people for expressing an opinion? Many people would probably enjoy interacting with others on HT. Why discourage them?

o

Now where was I addressing you?

o

When your view is compressed to only a select few sources that are known to be biased, that's not really a clear world view, nor is it an accurate one.

That's why critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, and common sense are sorely needed... so one can determine when a source is slanted, and when one is straight reporting using vetted facts. It helps if one omits the sources based on pure opinion and conjecture through commentary.

o

Do I sound like the idiot you folks think I am? Since you asked it sounds like you might like to deal but not play. I'll put it that simply!

o

It's difficult to understand and believe because it is a first.

After all the terrorist violence going on for years and years, this is the first major protest by muslims.

Of course we all, well, most of us, remain skeptical.

o

My first post still stands. You are right. I don't like to "play" if it involves intimidation, one-upmanship or insults. Just give people a chance to post here, then shred the content, but not the person. That sounds reasonable to me.

o

Oh good I agree too snark gets snark!>

o

Alright. I give up. This is not the forum for me.

o

I'm sorry to hear that, Pea. Nice people who just want to have a discussion with other grown-ups are hard to come by on HT. I hope you lurk and pop in when you feel up to it.

o

his or her opening post offered no new information but was a commentary on the posters so I can only say tell your story walking write when you get work!

o

"Alright. I give up. This is not the forum for me."

Dang...... that is upsetting (even though you have only commented on one thread).

o

And not even on the topic !
"Where in this world are you people getting this truth and these facts?"
get over yerself!~

o

Posted by littleonefb z5MA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 1:03

If Labrea's TAROT deck isn't any good, I'm sure I can find an old Ouija board and I'm betting I can find a black magic 8 ball as well.

Now we know how Obama has been tackling the economy!

o

someone else who has nothing to ad to the topic but she did it in less than 40 words so we should give her credit for that thank the void for small favors!

o

Ignore the trolls.

So. 30,000 people marching and chanting KEFAYA! are bad news for some--a united people, ya know, might put their country first (what's the score on the oil contracts?).

o

"Hundreds of protesters stormed the compound of one of Libya's strongest armed Islamic extremist groups in Benghazi on Friday, in the wake of the assault that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans."

Yep. But the White House insisted Benghazi was a "spontaneous" reaction of Muslims in Libya to a video. Not a very flattering opinion of Libya's Muslim community.

Make up your mind, Nancy. What sparked the rampage? Islam, or Islamists?

o

Nik, when did you ever value my opinion?

I do depend on you for updates on WND and the TP conspiracies.

o

Maybe they were conservatives NIK!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here