Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You didn't vote in the primary because?

Posted by secsteve 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 22:32

Rant time here.

I spent twenty years in the military defending everyone's right to vote. So this past week we had two very important primaries, and only 17%, yes 17%, of the eligible voters turned out What the heck is wrong with people?! I don't care if it's a primary for dog catcher, get out and vote. If you don't vote, then I don't want to hear you complain later that "Oh, I don't like Jim, Terry or whoever is on the ballot". You had a chance to make your wishes known and didn't.

I've heard all the excuses from "Well my vote will cancel your vote" (very intelligent) to "Oh, I forgot today was election day". The last after the air waves are flooded with reminders that today is election day.
It really makes me feel that my time in serving my country was for naught when this happens. A very well qualified candidate failed in the primary due to the low turnout and the incumbent jerk will be on the ballot in November. All I can say is, I'd better not hear anyone complain about who's on the ballot then.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You didn't vote in the primary because?

secsteve, first I want to thank you and salute you for
your service to our country.
Second, I am so sorry the jerks didn't get out to vote.
I don't know what is happening to citizens anymore.

Its like they have become lethargic in their patriotism.
Maybe Nov will be better.

o

Thank you for serving us, Steve. I always vote. I missed once; when Reagan ran against Carter--I was in surgery.

o

If only this time they had a space for "none of the above"

My husband and I often cancel each other's vote, but we vote anyway.

Just wait unil the general election. There might be a lot of write-ins for unknowns.

o

How do you expect people to feel when you have an elected official up for re-election and he brags on video about his 'divide-and-conquer' tactics, and then promptly gets re-elected by an easy margin?

I can understand when responsible, informed voters come away disenchanted when at least half of the voting public doesn't even know what a dogcatcher is.

-Ron-

o

New York State doesn't vote until Thursday--today now. Plenty of disgust all around, but still voting.

o

I agree - the voter turnout numbers even for a Presidential election are way too low.

And you're right, people should not be complaining if they didn't vote.

o

"I spent twenty years in the military defending everyone's right to vote."

You think that, but I strongly disagree. You spent twenty years doing an un-necesarry job. You got paid, and apparently you didn't get killed, so fair enough. You weren't forced into it, that's the genius of the plan.

The existence of political parties and voting is a smokescreen, a theater. Think about what is most likely behind that curtain.

o

People have the right not to vote also. You could say that not voting is a "none of the above" vote.

If I were a republican right now, I would have no idea what to do. I know I couldn't bring myself to vote for someone as unpalatable as Romney but I probably wouldn't want to vote for the opposition either. Maybe third party, but they are often kooks who are pushing an ideology and not a real platform.

o

I voted in the primary--although my vote was pointless. Living in a super red state, I find that my single solitary blue vote changes nothing--an exercise in futility.

I can understand why some people dont' bother to vote. I nearly did not this primary--but dragged myself to the polls finally, even knowing that my vote didn't affect anything politically in my red state.

Kate

o

secsteve, thank you for your service. I take my right to vote very seriously. I try to make an informed decision before I go in to pull that lever. I would rather only 17% of an informed electorate vote, then just to have someone vote on the basis of name recognition or some other useless reason.

o

Thank you for serving our country. As the daughter of a US career serviceman, I appreciate and fully understand the sacrifice you made. It wasn't for naught and more than "avoiding being killed". Let's hope ordinary citizens aren't required to defend this country, and thank God we have people like you and daddy who made it so that we didn't/don't have to. You're wrong pn with your snide comment. Without a military, we'd be sitting ducks. And it's not a bed of roses, not even for the families who also make a sacrifice (surely, not as deeply). If you don't know how, then you didn't grow up military or you sure as heck didn't serve in the military. It is more sacrifice than any other American makes. They give up their freedoms to guarantee you have yours.

However, I agree with jerzee. It's my right not to vote. I shouldn't make a habit of it, but not voting is the same as voting. Only, I'm letting someone else make that choice for me. If someone doesn't like that statement, get off your keester and go vote! That's all that would change that outcome. It's not that I "bothered" or didn't bother, it's that I allowed someone else to maky my choice. It's not a bad thing. It's frustrating when outcomes like yours happen. Hopefully, it'll motivate people next go around.

o

Thank you for volunteering to protect the country to have the right to vote or not vote. It is freedom.

I vote every time the doors open for a vote. I had a job that many times I was not in town on election day so I had to vote via absentee ballot but I made my choice known.

I do know that what is being done now with the voter ID is far more a slap in your face if you think your arm forces service was to protect our vote. I would say you have a bigger beef with the politicians. When they state publicly that they are creating policy to make sure their candidate win by preventing citizens to vote, they would be the one that are making sure citizens do not vote.

Before anyone starts waving the flag that ID is not a problem. The courts have weighed in and said the ID process in Florida, Ohio have determined it is a problem. So save your breath. An attempt to stop the vote is in process and the Legal system is aware.

o

Rob, my comments were not snide nor intended to be snide. I was forthright. I do not think that our military operations around the globe are necessary for the safety and contentment of the homeland. Since the 1950's the case could be made that they achieve nearly the opposite for the majority of north americans.

I totally reject the self-indulgent assertions of which this OP is an arrogant example.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 9:35

I didn't vote in the primary because I haven't gotten over to the middle school yet...

o

I have to sort of concur with Pnbrown on the military portion of this thread. I don't think there's been a truly legitimate reason for military action since WWII, and we, as a nation, have no right to interfere or position ourselves strategically around the globe as we have, especially since we all know what we're really protecting.

To those who go into the military with certain expectations, I accept that they feel they are doing a great service, and for that volunteer work, I am thankful... because a lot more goes on than just fighting. But let's be honest about Defense Dept. overspending and what's really happening around the globe.

To the voting part, Jerzee and Kate make some valid points. It's difficult to stand there and hold your nose while voting, knowing full well that "none of the above" would be a better choice. But, yes, we do vote.

A case might also be made for those who don't vote... they have every right to complain because they didn't vote in the idiot that messes things up further. ;-)

But seriously... it IS hard to choose many times, because you know full well that the person who will win by popular vote is not the right person for the job.

o

to interfere or position ourselves strategically around the globe

Now, that I agree with. But the military didn't do it.

o

Colorado has closed primaries, so a voter has to be a registered member of the party to participate. The state breaks down into roughly 30% Republicans, 30% Democrats, and 30% independent, with 10% Libertarian, Green, etc.

In my county, the ratio is 2:1:1, Republican/Independent/Democrat, and this year, the Democrats don't even bother to field any candidates for any county offices. So the election is decided in the primaries.

An unintended consequence is that so many registered Democrats and Independents have to switch party registration to vote in the primary, or sit back and have no participation at all in choosing the county commissioners, sheriff, assessor, etc. This further skews the registration numbers, and may give a false sense of hope for Republicans, thinking they are winning the hearts and minds.

No. So many people register Republican for the simple reason that there are some serious fruitcakes running in the Republican primary that we really don't want anywhere near public office.

o

What can you do when you want to choose "none of the above"?
In Canada, we can cancel our ballot. It isn't much, but it is something - a registered protest. It achieves nothing, but it feels better than not voting.
And I agree with pnbrown's well written post. I'm not sure how a war in the Middle East has anything to do with an American's right or ability to vote.

o

No. So many people register Republican for the simple reason that there are some serious fruitcakes running in the Republican primary that we really don't want anywhere

So they vote only to screw around with the primary for the Republicans? Say it aint so! It's certainly not the ideal behind the primaries.

o

I think we are to complacent that after we elect a candidate that we can sit back and let daddy or mommy take care of every issue we support. The real question might be what is the voters responsibility after they vote.

Does anyone bother to check what bills are up for vote?
Do you only pay attention to candidates when there is a presidential election?
Do you care about anything other than it is a Republican or Democrat in the position?

You really may as well not vote if you expect an elected official to read your mind that when you voted for him/her that they know what your desired policies are why your voted. Make phone calls to your representatives. Join groups that support your interest. Do not have time to be active send them a 1.00. Every penny helps to get the message via snail mail to get the results you desire.

As I have said before.....we have lurkers that come to HT so even this forum helps to sway a vote. If you have a moderate thinking about what is best and they see someone that is BatCrapCrazy that can send that moderate running to a more sane candidate.

There is a small percentage that do believe the President is a Muslim and not an American. That is an extreme that is ignorant or just does not have reading skills. The BatCrapCrazy will make anyone run in another direction.

o

Another problem is how the primaries (not the General Election) are held.

In our state, both parties have their primaries at the same time and vote at the same places.

This creates a problem if most of the local offices are contested by one party and the other party has the presidential candidate that you prefer. Which will be the logical one to vote for at the primary level? Local or Presidential?

If we had TWO primaries, one for local and one for state and federal, we might have better turn out. As it is, there's a problem, and it's easier to express displeasure by just not turning up at the polls.

I know that's not good, but I think that it is one reason that there is such a poor turn out here.

o

I have never voted in the Republican primary because I am a registered independent.

I've been tempted because I'd like a say in who the candidate is that runs, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I can't stand the Republican party as an organization.

o

So they vote only to screw around with the primary for the Republicans? Say it aint so! It's certainly not the ideal behind the primaries.

Rob, no. Let me give you two examples. Remember that everyone involved here is a Republican, and no Democrats even bother to run:

- Two years ago, we had an outstanding sheriff running for re-election. He lost the Republican primary by a hair, something like 750 votes to 800 for the winner, in a county where the general election will see 8,000 votes. In a general election, the incumbent would have won it walking away. As it was, he wasn't even on the ballot.

- This primary, there was a heated race for District Attorney, again both Republicans, again no Democrat is even in the race. The incumbent is an incompetent disaster, losing case after case due to either ignorance or intentionally messing with the law, to the point the local judge ordered that he take a refresher course in discovery law. He was challenged in the primary by an attorney who had recently changed party affiliation to Republican, but had the full, whole-hearted and very vocal support of the police department and sheriff department. So you can imagine how bad the incumbent was if he had no support from law enforcement.

Due to this recent change in affiliation, the hard core, far-right fanatical Republicans were in an uproar, fighting off the usurper, ignoring the incumbent incompetence.

I changed my registration to vote in the primary as did dozens of others. The challenger won by 19 votes, and the county avoided a continuing disaster.

So I wouldn't look at it as 'messing' with the Republican primary so much as partaking in an election that will decide who the next county officers will be.

o

LOL, David votes in the Republican primary but I won't do it !

o

Hey, I didn't even mention some of the candidates for county commissioner, the barely coherent Teaparty/9-12er guys, who would have run uncontested in a general election, if they had won the primary.

o

Oh good. I was worried about that, but only mildly. It could've been, but I'm glad it isn't the case! I now fully understand.

:)

o

marquest....I for one think the president is anointed
in the Muslum faith.

He doesn't get to foster it but the teaching is in
his heart and he believes in it.
This was his first introduction into religion. It had a profound effect on him .....
he was taught this for several years.

Do you think it didn't take.

I have always thought and believed his early teachings
were his basic foundation.

o

Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 12:24

"LOL, David votes in the Republican primary but I won't do it !"

I do the same here. I'm currently registered as a democrat because in NY you can't participate in the primaries as an independent. There have been good candidates that haven't even made the ballot in the past and I want to be able to lend support to the candidate I believe is superior.

o

This was his first introduction into religion. It had a profound effect on him .....

I was raised in a Christian family and went to church every week until I went to college. Today, I am an atheist.

Do you think it didn't take?

o

And by the way, citywoman, what is it about the Muslim teachings that is so wrong? They believe in one God (Allah). They believe in kindness and mercy to others, in being charitable.

What is it about the Muslim teachings that would not give someone a good and moral "basic foundation"?

o

I voted for Brad Hoylman to replace my out going State Senator & long time acquaintance Tom Duane. His opponents are Jonny come lately s. Brad is a Rhodes scholar & long time worker in local Dem politics.

o

I don't know how to do big letters and flashing like Nancy did but I am going to say it anyway, HOOT!!!!!!!!

o

esh is 100% right. Even if he's drenched in Islamic beliefs, that is, he is fully Muslim, it makes no difference. We live in a country that is supposed to be free from religious persecution. Regardless of the religion. Unless you wish to shed some light on how it's wrong to be Muslim and be President of the US. I could learn something new. If it is possibly true.

o

in the Muslum faith.

I think Romney is a Mormon. Do you know why? Because he said he is a Mormon.

President Obama has said he is Christian, not that it matters, but what puzzles me is why if Romney says he is Mormon it is not questioned. But Obama says he is Christian you have to NOT believe that for some reason.

I was brought up a Christian and still live my life of that faith it would be against my belief and denying my teaching as a Christian. If he was a practicing Muslim as a child when he accepted Christ and profess he is a Christian. It is not my place to question and would not be following my teachings.

"When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!" 2 Cor. 5:17

Just my love of Christ speaking. You can feel anyway you like citywoman. I live for me and your way of think is not in my soul and not what my parents, bible, and minister taught me.

Carry on with your belief take comfort in your belief. We all have to do what makes us comfortable.

o

I agree with esh.

I was raised in a Christian family and went to church every week until I went to college. Today, I am an atheist.

Do you think it didn't take?

Add to that that I was raised in a Christian fundamentalist family and went to church several times a week, and later was church organist, and later got a college degree from a church-affiliated college.

Today I am an atheist. Guess it didn't take, huh?

Kate

o

Demi wrote

I have never voted in the Republican primary because I am a registered independent.
I've been tempted because I'd like a say in who the candidate is that runs, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I can't stand the Republican party as an organization.
==========================================================
Ditto for me Demi

o

in the Muslum faith.

So they've got you hook, line, and sinker. Nothing more to say.

-Ron-

o

CW - you are a very scary lady. What is wrong with being Muslim? He's not Muslim, but even if he was, why is that a problem? Could you possibly be more close-minded? You keep surprising me, so I guess the answer is probably yes.

o

Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 15:26

Ok, so I voted during my lunch.... now what do I do?

o

Wow. Um... how does one follow that?

I, too, would be interested in knowing why having a Muslim President would be a bad thing. Please, enlighten me.

It shouldn't matter a whit which religion a person chooses to follow... or not follow. What concerns me is how our President does his job. And so far, I see fairly little to complain about... a few things could be better, but nothing major.

I was indoctrinated into the Catholic faith as an infant... today, I'm an atheist. Does that really matter, or change who I am, one way or another? No.

o

now what do I do?

Wait for the returns this evening, and then start complaining or celebrating - or both.

Anything interesting on your local ballot?

o

Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 16:00

Nope, mostly local stuff... dog fight in state assembly district 13 (not really)... couple judges that I hadn't a clue on.

o

couple judges that I hadn't a clue on

I'm finally on an e-mail list that makes credible recommendations on judges. Before that...

o

Honestly. Why does it matter what religion the President is?

If he were Muslim, does that mean he is not American? Those two things are not mutually exclusive, you know.

And his religion should not be a factor in your vote. It's whether he is capable of doing the job properly or not.

o

Obama went to Catholic schools but he's not Catholic. I thought he mostly attended Protestant Congregationalist-aligned churches. At least that's what I read. If some want believe he was born a Muslin in Indokeynsia, fine.

-Ron-

o

Looks like citywoman won't come back to defend/explain her statements. I'm not surprised - I suspect her statements are only based on emotion, not fact.

o

Looks like citywoman won't come back to defend/explain her statements. I'm not surprised - I suspect her statements are only based on emotion, not fact.

No answer is a answer. it is "Don't have an answer, you are right there is no facts to support the statement"

o

Posted by citywoman2012 none (My Page) on Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 12:06

"marquest....I for one think the president is anointed
in the Muslum faith.

were his basic foundation."

from "The Audacity of Hope: "I was not raised in a religious household. For my mother, organized religion too often dressed up closed-mindedness in the garb of piety, cruelty and oppression in the cloak of righteousness. However, in her mind, a working knowledge of the world's great religions was a necessary part of any well-rounded education. In our household the Bible, the Koran, and the Bhagavad Gita sat on the shelf alongside books of Greek and Norse and African mythology.

On Easter or Christmas Day my mother might drag me to church, just as she dragged me to the Buddhist temple, the Chinese New Year celebration, the Shinto shrine, and ancient Hawaiian burial sites.In sum, my mother viewed religion through the eyes of the anthropologist; it was a phenomenon to be treated with a suitable respect, but with a suitable detachment as well."

So there's that, Ron. Neither you nor City is accurate on that score.

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 20:04

"Looks like citywoman won't come back to defend/explain her statements. I'm not surprised - I suspect her statements are only based on emotion, not fact."

What is there for City to defend/explain?

She should answer questions like this:

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 15:39

"Wow. Um... how does one follow that?
I, too, would be interested in knowing why having a Muslim President would be a bad thing. Please, enlighten me."

Enlighten you about what? City didn't say that: "having a Muslim President would be a bad thing." Jodi said that.

What's up with the feeding frenzy? I can see how Demi gets defensive when you people (yeah, I said "you people") take her words, and change them into your words, and then attribute them to her. It's happened to me, and let me tell you, it'as very time consuming and for that matter pointless to go back, pull out the dialog, and demonstrate the error; by then you've seen some other shiny thing.

o

Well elvis you are so good at playing secretary did you miss I answered her question. Why did she not answer my response.

If you notice she asked Marquest a question.

If she believes Romney is a Mormon why does she not believe Obama is a Christian? I explained to her the christian belief if she is not a christian perhaps she did not understand and I was curious if she understood what being a christian meant.

I do not speak for anyone else but through several topics she keeps insisting that the President is saving Muslims and not protecting US citizens because he is a Muslim.

Because of this McCain moment I would assume that is why everyone keeps asking the same question.

=========================================
HERE YOU GO ELVIS SINCE YOU ARE SPEAKING FOR CW MAYBE YOU CAN ANSWER. This topic hit the limit her issue is carried over.

Posted by citywoman2012 none (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 22:35

Four Americans are dead and Obama rejects "efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others (Muslims only).

His favoritism towards Muslims is paramount.
Is it because of his teaching from an early age to when his mother dumped him off on his GM?
Early childhood education (also early childhood learning and early education) refers to the formal teaching of young children by people outside the family or in settings outside the home. "Early childhood" is usually defined as before the age of normal schooling � five years in most nations, though the U.S. National Association for the Education of Young Children defines "early childhood" as before the age of eight.

o

Do you think maybe CW is on drugs? I'm guessing she went to the propaganda movie and is now spouting her hatred around. For a good Christian woman, she's not so nice.

I too was raised in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. I was enrolled in the cradle roll and went to Sunday school and Church every Sunday of my life from toddler to the day I went to college. I had my kids baptized but we never attended church or Sunday school. Today I go with my daughter and family once a year to the Christmas Eve candlelight service also in a Lutheran church. I have NO desire to join a church so apparently it didn't "take" with me either.

I wonder if CW ever read up on Mormon beliefs. And what would be wrong with having a Muslim president?

o

I went to Catholic school, 1st through 8th grades... not that I had a choice. But I was introduced to the real world through public high school, thankfully. So, even when I was younger, I had my doubts.

The truth... and the answer to the query is... it wouldn't make a bit of difference whether our President were Muslim. It wouldn't make a bit of difference regardless which religion he chose to follow, or whether he decided to follow one, at all. What matters is job performance, given his role and powers, and the internal and extraneous crap he has to deal with.

Beliefs are a personal thing, and while they can influence our personal opinions, they should not influence or interfere with our job performance. And I think this holds true no matter what a person's profession... excluding that within a church.

o

"Enlighten you about what? City didn't say that: "having a Muslim President would be a bad thing."

Elvis, most of us form our opinions from the content of many posts over time. Each thread does not exist in isolation of all others.

In the this thread CW said

"I for one think the president is anointed
in the Muslum faith.

he was taught this for several years."

It doesn't take much to go back to other threads to find out how CW feels towards Muslims, it's well understood. Based on her feelings towards Muslims it is quite clear she would not view having a Muslim President as a "good" thing. However, you could always ask her yourself if you have doubts.

o

elvis,

I'd settle for understanding why city commented on his faith. It's all I asked. Was that wrong? I think I found her tone to be an, um, how do I say it, an "us and them" kind of comment. I didn't even have to read other threads.

o

Do you think maybe CW is on drugs?

Actually, I was thinking that perhaps she stopped taking her meds.

o

"Elvis, most of us form our opinions from the content of many posts over time. Each thread does not exist in isolation of all others."

One of the most important points forum members should always remember. Thank you Chase, for highlighting this important fact.

o

...So this past week we had two very important primaries, and only 17%, yes 17%, of the eligible voters turned out What the heck is wrong with people?! I don't care if it's a primary for dog catcher, get out and vote. ...

Declining to vote in a primary is not the same as declining to vote in a general election, unless one lives in a place where one party has a strangle-hold on politics. When I've lived in places where the primary effectively was the general election, I voted in the primary in order to have any say at all in the process. Otherwise, there is no party - and most certainly neither of the major parties - with which I agree sufficiently to be a member. I've always voted in the general elections - even in the "off" years.

Approximately a dozen states have closed primaries. In order to vote in those primaries one must be a member of one of the two major political parties. Many people do not want to be affiliate with either group.

I appreciate the effort to broaden participation through open primaries. Unfortunately, there is no way to distinguish between the voter who truly wants to support a specific candidate and the so-called crossover voter who wants to make mischief by voting to advance someone who will be a weak opponent for one's preferred candidate.

Not all communities have runoff style primaries for positions that are supposedly non-partisan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here