Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wish the election was today as I can't stand much

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 4:58

more of this political theatrics that fails to entertain. How about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wish the election was today as I can't stand much

Ignore the theatrics, or laugh at the absurdity. It's not like you don't already know where your vote is going.

o

I agree, I like HT but different views. Not lies. It was a big thing in my home about lies. If you knew someone was not telling the truth you distance yourself from them. My parents honored honesty and taught us it was your reflection on them and whether they raised honorable children.

We have come to expect our politician to lie but now we have the media and people believe every lie and repeat the lie. My Mom would have said " Going to Hell for unnecessary lie is stupid."

When the election is over we can get back to true and honest debate issues. It will be nice after reading responses not have the urgent need to run and get a bar of soap and take a bath after washing the posters mouth with the bar of soap.

o

Unfortunately I don't see what's going on any solution to the gridlock that the Republican House has forced on the American people since 2010.

If Obama wins and the Republicans keep the House, it will be more of the same unless Obama can come up with ways to get around it. But when it he does that then he is accused of trashing the Constitution. Can't win either way and the Republicans know it.

o

Unfortunately I don't see what's going on any solution to the gridlock that the Republican House has forced on the American people since 2010.

esh I don't think that is true. The focus has been gridlock to prevent Obama re-election. As Romney is trying to flip his script they are realizing the majority of America is not stupid. They are having trouble getting their with their extreme party members down ballot re-elected. You know they are in trouble when Michele Bachmann is avoiding Fox News.

Nothing will bring them back to governing than to lose. If they win there will be more gridlock because the democratic party will not agree to the Ryan/Romney politics

o

the democratic party will not agree to the Ryan/Romney politics

Unfortunately I disagree. Democrats do a better job of compromising and working with what they are dealt if it helps Americans.

o

Democrats do a better job of compromising

Sadly I cannot disagree with that.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 9:59

"Democrats do a better job of compromising
Sadly I cannot disagree with that.
"

Yes, it is sad. One of my brothers told me yesterday that he will vote for Romney because he believes that he'll be able to work with demos and get things done.
Why on earth would we want to reward repubs with the WH when all they are interested in is doing is NOT compromising with Obama so that they can get back into power?
Country First, BS!

Mitt Romney 2012
GOP First & Foremost

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 10:01

I agree, thank goodness for BBC World Service.

I agree with esh, the Democrats in Congress aren't invested in an "chisled in stone" agenda like the GOP. They may huff and puff briefly, but will quickly begin working on compromising on important legislation.

o

One of my brothers told me yesterday that he will vote for Romney because he believes that he'll be able to work with demos and get things done.

Why on earth would we want to reward repubs with the WH when all they are interested in is doing is NOT compromising with Obama so that they can get back into power?

Yes, things are going according to plan, aren't they?

o

DH would agree with you. He will retreat to his office tonight, as far away from the TV as he can get!

But I'm looking forward to settling down in the family room with the cat and the dog, and enjoying the VP debate. I think it should be a good one, as Biden and Ryan are both budget wonks. I'm interested in watching how they interact with each other. I expect to see both of them in good form. Who all here is going to be watching?

o

Politco this week said the difference between a Republican and a Democrat

Tell a Republican he is losing and he will kill you
Tell a Democrat he is losing and he want to kill himself.

o

I would agree, Marquest. One of the lowest and worst things a person can do is lie. Dishonesty is considered a terrible thing in my household, and it always has been. It stands next to stealing, and cheating. Those three things are extremely offensive, and worthy of harsh punishment.

We don't lie, steal, or cheat. That's very basic, and a big part of our moral code. It's actually one of the very reasons we aren't sitting on a large pile of cash right now... because we can't throw away our moral code for our material comfort. We've had many opportunities to twist the truth a bit to get there, or to use the ignorance of the public to our own ends... but we can't do it. We won't. We'd rather keep our integrity and reputation intact.

This is why we find Romney and company to be so utterly disgusting. We can't figure out how anyone can hold him up as leadership material... not with his business background. It makes no sense, whatsoever.

o

nik, I'll be watching. I think it should be quite interesting. I know that Biden makes gaffes, but he has really been prepping for this debate. Ryan is super smart. They each have their strengths. Biden comes across as folksy, though he is quite intelligent as well, and Ryan comes across as more of an intellectual. So I think we will see different styles. I know I should probably be calling Biden names, accusing him of doing all kinds of creepy things, but I think he's a pretty nice guy, just like the rest of them.

o

Jodik, that is one of the more frequent intolerant and self-serving things I see on this forum. How did you ever get to be so self righteous?

You call republicans, businessmen, conservatives and anyone with a religious belief ugly names and liars and yet you totally pass over the lies and corruption coming from your own side. Give me a break.

I have seen some nasty politics in my life but this election takes first prize and it has been 80-90% from the left. It has run the gamut from the teachers threatening and bullying students who dare to support conservatives(shouting they could be arrested for criticising Obama or that it was a Democrat school)all the way up to Saint Obama. I can't decide whether you are mendacious or just naive. I suppose you can take comfort in knowing that you are not the worst on this forum at least. And no, this forum is not the worst but I swear, some of you must be total fools or tools if you believe what you write.

Are there fools, bigots liars and just plain stupid people on the conservative side, yes, of course, but there are just as many if not more on the liberal/progressive side. I will bet though that second group is rapidly getting a lock on the title of purveyors of vileness for the sake of vileness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this and choke on your own anger then I'll post some more.

o

Nik I will be watching. I watched every one of the Republican debates. Those were loads of fun.

It was a very embarrassing when you reflect back to the Democrat selection of 08. Democrats had a lot of qualified intelligent candidates and not as much fun for laughs as I had with the Republican debates this year.

o

Do like I do, Tobr... laugh at it all. It's positively ridiculous. I've never heard so much regurgitated parrot speak. I find myself subconsciously brushing my right shoulder to remove anything that may cling. It's hilarious!

o

I'm actually dreading the end of this election cycle. No matter which way it goes the entrenchment and polarization will just get worse.

I liked it better when Americans had a sense on unity.....but that was long ago and far away.

o

It has run the gamut from the teachers threatening and bullying students who dare to support conservatives(shouting they could be arrested for criticising Obama or that it was a Democrat school)all the way up to Saint Obama.

sleepless, can you give me some (valid ) sources for this charge? I have never heard such a thing before--and I know that if the school board or principal heard of it, that teacher would be in big trouble. I would be interested in learning more details about what happened. I can almost guarantee that no self-respecting Democrat (which is most of them) would approve of such behavior, so I'm not sure how you decided that was typical or condoned Democratic behavior and not someone going rogue (as your side likes to put it).

That story is so implausible that I'm having trouble believing it as being anything more than T-party propaganda making the rounds of the Republican/rightwing circuits. But if there is some truth to it, I'd really like to know more about it.

And for the record, sleepless, I (a Democrat) condemn such behavior as strongly as you do.

Kate

o

There was a post about that teacher a while back. I don't remember the whole story, but pretty sure every democrat here said that if that's what the teacher did, it was wrong. I guess sleepless doesn't remember that part? It's amazing how one instance (true or not) of someone that supports Obama doing something gets translated in the conservative mind to "all Obama supports do that". What ever happened to logic? All gone?

o

I've been asking that question for a while, now, Jill... logic and common sense seem to have taken quite the dive in America. Too many people are sucked in by media propaganda and extremism, and not enough exhibit critical thinking skills. The conclusions often drawn are not based upon facts, but upon the perverted opinions of those who want to win at any cost.

o

I'm looking forward to tonight's debate and the rest of the presidential debates.
Unfortunately, my grandson has a double header baseball game tonight, so I hope to watch it on YouTube in its entirety later. Last games of his season.
Priorities, you know.

o

Steve you have your priorities dead right!

A big "shout out" to your GS team from Canada!

o

I, too, wish the election was today. My daughter, a staunch Obama supporter, won't watch tonight because she gets too nervous. I will, but not at HQ's. I was yelling at the TV last week. Biden has been in Congress before little guy was born, but still with age , your mind doesn't recall facts as quickly.

o

Steve - you definitely have your priorities straight! We are going to Ripken in Maryland this weekend for a tournament. Leaving tomorrow afternoon. Our 3rd time going there. It's so awesome; never gets old. Has your grandson played there in Aberdeen or the facility in Myrtle Beach? Surprised his season ends now? We play into November and it's much colder here.

o

I'm not surprised you guys are tired of the election cycle.

It seems to me that you guys go into election mode about 2 years before the actual election!

o

Going to Hell for unnecessary lie is stupid."

--------------------------------------------------------

I agree, your mother was very smart.

I hope tonight's debate comes out a winner for everyone in that both men conduct themselves with dignity and respect and speak to their subject matter in an honest and truthful manner. This way we all benefit, don't you think? Oh gee I just realized it's about to begin. See you after the debate.

Does anyone here listen to the Michael Baisden show of Old School soul music? Asking because I have some comments about him but wanted someone to discuss him with.

o

Sent in my ballot today.

-Ron-

o

Well Biden didn't hear my hopes for the debate. He's such a joke, but in such a bad way.

o

Really? I thought he made quite a number of very good points, for some of which Ryan clearly had no answer. He showed a great understanding and grasp of foreign and domestic policy. I especially liked his respect for others' beliefs in regard to birth control and abortion, even though these are not his beliefs as a Catholic.

Ryan's constantly-present, unattractive smirk was much more objectionable to me than anything Biden did, and his clear assumption that his private religious beliefs had to be turned into public policy was frankly terrifying to me. Who does this man think he is?

o

Ryan with his constant smirk should learn people with such non existent thin lips should not smirk.

o

Who does this man think he is?

A concerned citizen that cares about his country.

I think he is a bright, articulate, and capable man and many of us hope you will call him the next Vice President of the United States.

Maybe one day, the President of the United States.

In any event, either of these men would be preferable to the Emperor with No Clothes.

The only plan Obama and Biden have for the next four years
is to tax those that are already carrying the burden even more.

o

Ryan missed an opportunity last night. When Biden said we must raise taxes on the rich. Why didn't Ryan ask him why they didn't do it two years ago? Obama said he couldn't raise taxes when the economy was so bad then...well, the economy is worse than two years ago. Duh!!

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 7:52

Ryan missed an opportunity last night. When Biden said we must raise taxes on the rich. Why didn't Ryan ask him why they didn't do it two years ago? Obama said he couldn't raise taxes when the economy was so bad then...well, the economy is worse than two years ago. Duh!!

Great point, mrskjun.

Tax and spend tax and spend.

Obama is just a typical Democrat.

He's nothing special.

o

The democrats never had a super-majority so they could not pass it.

o

"the economy is worse than two years ago. Duh!! "

really Mrs what facts do you have to support that?

Unemployment is down
Stock Market is way up
Housing prices are up
Foreclosures are down
Salaries are up
Consumer spending is up
GDP is up......

o

chase, in 2010 economic growth was 5.7%, in 2012 1.3%, so yes, the economy is much worse. 23 million people are out of work. Unemployment is down because people have given up trying to find a job. Of course consumer spending is up. Some people are paying as much as 6.00 a gallon for gas. They have no choice. Not the kind of consumer spending that creates jobs.

esh, Obama was the one who said we shouldn't raise taxes in a weak economy. What does that have to do with the number of democrats or republicans. He didn't even propose raising taxes, thought it was a bad idea.

o

The rich are getting richer in this economy. Big businesses have record profits - CEOs, officers and people trading stocks for a living are making record bonuses.

It's not a bad economy for THEM. Raise their tax rates - they can afford it. And by the way, they are making more than a million a year. They are not "small businesses". As Biden reminded us last night, 97% of small businesses are under $250K from a personal income tax point of view.

o

"So I think we will see different styles."

We sure did, Mrsk! Ryan behaved as a serious and professional contender. Biden showed us 90 minutes of disrespect, condescension, and a mouth full of Chiclets.

o

Gotta love the new "turn the tables! On everything!" strategy.

Awesome tactic. Keep it up!

o

Unemployment is down
Stock Market is way up
Housing prices are up
Foreclosures are down
Salaries are up
Consumer spending is up
GDP is up......

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

o

Kate, I have noticed previously that you miss news items that may be embarrassing to Democrats and I don't feel disposed or responsible for informing you if you don't catch everything, especially when the video and reports are very well publicized. Try checking it out for yourself before you make accusations or insinuations.

o

I agree with tobr. The nastiness has reached an all-time high with both parties and it has grown old to me. I am not even posting here much anymore, because I need to take a break from it all and focus upon all else that is going on in my life. I am personally sick of the attack ads, Big Bird included, and all the lies and distortions coming forth on a daily basis.

With the stance of the Republicans on Womens' rights, and also their Hawkish views on the Middle East, I have known for a long time which way I will cast my vote. And the icing on the cake was Romney's "47 %" spiel.

o

I'm happy when most of the political sign blight is gone, although some of the signs I remove make good targets, or target holders.

o

Today, the robo calls started at 8:00 am. I had three before 11, went to the store and came back to find 2 on answering machine, then have had 2 calls every hour since.

Not all political calls, eg got the weekly robo call from Rachel at the credit card company telling me I can get fabulous rates if I only were to transfer my other cards to this one, but all the rest.

And it really picks up in the evening.

Did I mention the number of attack ads on TV? We currently have one of those disappeared white girl tragedies complete with helicopters filming fleets of law enforcement combing fields, breathless reporters outside the police station and so on - this interspersed with 4-5 attack ads each commercial break. The same ones, over and over again.

And so when the telephone polls ask if I think the country is on the right track..........

o

sleepless--I tell you the truth that I don't know what you are talking about--and you respond with sarcasm.

That is a preposterous story since no school district allows teachers to engage in politics in the classroom. If a teacher did that, the teacher got in big trouble and must have been rather new to the system not to know that politicing can't be done on the job.

I said--if it happened as you say, I agree with you. That's terrible! And I'm sure the teacher's school district and school board agree with both of us that that was terrible.

So, why are you trying to pick a fight with me. I still have no idea what event or person you are referring to. If you didn't want to talk about it, why did you bother to bring it up in the first place? Kinda pointless to mention something you don't want to talk about, isn't it?

Kate

o

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 16:39

"We currently have one of those disappeared white girl tragedies complete with helicopters filming fleets of law enforcement combing fields, breathless reporters outside the police station and so on -"

WHAT is that? "disappeared white girl"???

o

Pay some attention to the news. Even I heard of this.

o

"disappeared WHITE girl". This fixation with skin color is ridiculous.

o

A high school social studies teacher in North Carolina was suspended Monday for telling a student he was not allowed to disrespect President Obama and could be arrested for speaking ill of the commander-in-chief.

I remembered reading about this sleepless. Not the only instance either.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Still recycling old lies are we.

o

David, the news is full of the report that the 10 year old "disappeared white girl" who vanished while walking to school was identified as the dismembered body that was found 7 miles from where she was last seen. I'm sure those who loved her will be so embarrassed that the report of her disappearance so offended you.

Kate, while the story did not receive the coverage to make it a major news item it did receive some coverage. I chose to print the least inflammatory to avoid upsetting you. Should you still refuse to accept my reference as valid, a somewhat more slanted story appeared in Huff-Po. You can look that one up.

"A Philadelphia high schooler says she was humiliated after her teacher told her to remove a Mitt Romney T-shirt she was wearing, comparing it to “wearing a KKK shirt.”

Samantha Pawlucy, a 16-year-old sophomore at Charles Carroll High School in the Port Richmond section of the city, says she wore a pink Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan T-shirt last Friday during the school's dress-down day.

No one made an issue of Samantha’s political T-shirt until she got to geometry class.
"The teacher told me to get out of the classroom, I said no," Samantha said.
"She told me to take off my shirt and said that she has another one if I need one. And then the teacher asked me… 'Are your parents Republican?' I said, 'I don't know.' She said that's like her wearing a KKK shirt."
Samantha was so embarrassed by the public criticism in front of her classmates that she told her parents she didn’t want to return to school.
"I didn't know what to think, I didn't think it was right at all."
They requested a meeting with the principal and the teacher. The teacher apologized to Samantha and her parents saying that the statement was meant as a joke.
"It was funny to her, but I was really embarrassed," Samantha said.

"If it was a joke between two adults, I can take a joke like that but (my daughter) didn't know how to take it. She doesn’t understand, she actually thinks she did something wrong," her father, Richard Pawlucy, said.
"I can just picture her sitting there, feeling ashamed for just wearing a T-shirt," said her mother, Christine Pawlucy. "That someone could spin that and throw it back on a 16-year-old child and make her feel so terrible."
A spokesperson for the Philadelphia School District told NBCPhiladelphia.com that the teacher was transferred to another classroom as the district investigates the incident."

Here is a link that might be useful: Basic story.

o

A high school social studies teacher in North Carolina was suspended....

the teacher was transferred to another classroom as the district investigates the incident."

OK--so we all agree (including the schools referred to in the examples above) that teachers should not be politicing in class.

OK--the schools investigated/are investigating and the teachers in question are being punished.

Sounds to me like everything is being handled correctly, according to your own versions of the stories. So what is the beef about? I still fail to understand why Democrats are being accused of advocating teachers politicing in school. I don't know any Democrat that advocates it.

Assuming that your versions of the stories are accurate, of course.

The schools stopped the behavior. What more do you want--a public hanging?

I don't get it.

Kate

o

David, the news is full of the report that the 10 year old "disappeared white girl" who vanished while walking to school was identified as the dismembered body that was found 7 miles from where she was last seen. I'm sure those who loved her will be so embarrassed that the report of her disappearance so offended you.

I think you should be careful of concluding what offends me and what doesn't.

And I think if you were here watching the media cover this story, you just might be offended as well. Every channel, dozens of TV personalities getting their mugs on camera preening and competing to see who can show the most touching concern rather than presenting the facts.

And as a father of a young girl who walks, jobs, rides a school bus etc., I pay attention.

o

Read what you posted.
"We currently have one of those disappeared white girl tragedies complete with helicopters filming fleets of law enforcement combing fields, breathless reporters outside the police station and so on -"

What exactly DID you mean? The only time I have seen those words it has been to claim that only white girls who disappear are paid attention to. So please enlighten me.

o

No student around here is allowed to wear tees with slogans on them. The teacher was correct to tell her to remove it.

o

Is this inappropriate?

o

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 13:04

Is this inappropriate?

Not when referring to "white girls" but apparently it is when referring to "black girls."

o

Missing White Woman Syndrome, aka Missing white girl syndrome etc:

"A term for when media coverage ratchets up to follow the murder, kidnapping, or disappearance of white females, often pretty and young, and often to the exclusion of minority, male, and older missing persons.

The origin of the term is unclear. Although Professor Sheri Parks of the University of Maryland claims to have coined it circa 2005, it apparently has been in use among journalists (and FARK.com) for years before that. It's also been referred to as 'missing pretty girl syndrome' and 'damsel in distress syndrome'. Although it appears to be a primarily American phenomenon, a similar coverage bias is reported to exist in the United Kingdom, and some people believe Canada and Australia have a similar disinterest in the fate of their own missing minority persons - and (in Canada, at least) disenfranchised in general; this is how Robert Pickton was able to get away with killing over fifty Vancouver prostitutes.

That being said, the most likely ignored missing person is the Disposable Sex Worker and/or the Disposable Vagrant. Presumably the inspiration for the Trope is the White Knighting mind-set. For more information, including a detailed breakdown of the coverage cycle and links to dozens of cases, see this article at Wikipedia. This column at CNN.com has some thoughts on it, and in the years since this trope entry was first written many more writers have weighed in on the topic.

Compare If It Bleeds, It Leads, Local Angle, Men Are the Expendable Gender (the news certainly thinks so)"

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

David is probably the most polite poster on this board. His opinions are always about the subject and rarely joins in the mudslinging that can happen here.

I knew exactly what he meant. This little angel deserved all the resources available to try and find her and return her safely to her parents as do all the young black women who get very little , if any attention, national attention.

It happens here too. Missing aboriginal women get very little attention.

o

I don't understand David's use of the pejorative at all if he was the least bit concerned. If he thinks he is being all warm and comforting maybe he should think again. A 10 year old, going missing on her way to school doesn't exactly fit the demographics that nasty (racist) phrase is designed to fit. It is deliberately provocative and despite Wiki's definition, is most frequently used by agitators bemoaning the supposed lack of attention to the disappearances of non-white persons.

Perhaps all white 10 year old children who go missing should just be totally ignored until all non-white missing people have been found no matter what the circumstances. From what I have been able to learn over the years, the families and communities unwillingness to cooperate with the authorities and the exposure of the missing to unsafe situations and even the desire of the 'missing' to remain missing is the major factor in the inability locate them or return them. This child fit none of those factors.

The fact is that there was reason to search the area where her remains were found after her backpack was found six miles from her home. It was found by chance. She was found a mile from the backpack. She was not a potential runaway, was not involved in a custody dispute and there is evidence of a recently active serial abductor/killer of children in that part of the country. But it must be a case of "missing white girl" or nothing would have been done according to that mindset.

Why did David make such a statement on a thread that concerns politics if he was not trying to make a connection?

o

sleepless, as usual, you're trying to pick fights again.

You do that a lot, don't you.

Kate

o

As some may have realized, I started the "disappeared white girl" question by pointing out David's statement. Then I waited.

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 16:39

maddie's was the only "response" (reaction): Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 18:44

"Pay some attention to the news. Even I heard of this."

Hell bent on making my point, I tried again:

"Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 18:48

"disappeared WHITE girl". This fixation with skin color is ridiculous."

And here we are. The point is: David put a pile of poop out there, and it's right to point that out. Libs are eager to do this; and "what's sauce for the goose..."

Just so we all remember that we all blunder. What's interesting is that no one on the left is critical of David's post, but if I had said it, people would be all over me--conservatives included, I would hope. And hopefully not to bash, but to at least have a conversation about it (and then bash, i.e., "pathetic" or some such utterance).

"Sleepless, as usual, you're trying to pick fights again.

Kate"

If, for a change, David or his defenders (in this particular instance) would simply say "my bad; thanks for pointing that out", that would be that.

Am I correct, Sleepless?

o

Yawn.

Most of us perfectly got Dave's point.

Not our fault, nor Dave's, that some still don't.

o

Did it ever occur to you that all David was doing was pointing out how shallow and commercialized our society has become......so when he asked is or country on the right track I understood exactly what he meant.

o

Is your country on the right track chase? Or was the our the United States that you were referring to?

o

"Sleepless, as usual, you're trying to pick fights again.

Kate"

If, for a change, David or his defenders (in this particular instance) would simply say "my bad; thanks for pointing that out", that would be that.

Am I correct, Sleepless?

The difference of Sleepless and David.

David addressed the statement with followup supported document and link if anyone cared to understand the term and reason for the term.

Sleepless ????? Comment was argument based.

So I do not think a "my bad" should be forth coming or any defenders as you call people should have anything to defend or finger wage about.

If Sleepless has some documentation or links that support her objections I would be interested to see the documentation that support her objections. Quid pro quo That is what I would like to see for a change.

o

I was referring to David and his comment......clearly when he said "our country" he meant the US. I was simply saying I understood what he was trying to say.

As for my country bring on the right track.... I'd say pretty much with a few exceptions. Thanks for asking.

o

Gee.

I guess some people posting here must have taped all 736,234,551 hours of TV personalities preening for the cameras when JonBenet Ramsey, Elizabeth Smart, Chandra Levy, Laci Peterson, Natalee Holloway, etc went missing, - with the bits on 'Entertainment Tonight" in a special highlights reel - because they just love that about America, and think that I'm being jerk because I find it disgusting excess.

I can live with that.

o

Gee, David, no, I don't follow the tabloid press. I do think that a missing child of whatever sex or age or race or attractiveness deserves as much coverage as possible as quickly as possible. The predators don't usually keep them around very long so without intensive coverage recovery of a living child becomes a matter of news spots NOW, not news at 5 and 11. I only wish the Amber alerts were more frequent. Even so they seem to get results. But they must be heard and seen if they are to have an affect.

Your statement was "Did I mention the number of attack ads on TV? We currently have one of those disappeared white girl tragedies complete with helicopters filming fleets of law enforcement combing fields, breathless reporters outside the police station and so on - this interspersed with 4-5 attack ads each commercial break. The same ones, over and over again.". How else are we to take it except that you were annoyed and offended, especially when you use that pejorative phrase? You dismissed the seriousness of the situation as though it was equivalent to those political ads. What exactly would have made you aware that the situation was worthy of attention?

You have a predator near you!

o

Fine, Sleepless.

The information we parents of young daughters are after are timely updates of factual information.

Not reporters interviewing each other - for hours on end.

o

"Not reporters interviewing each other - for hours on end."

Yes, that's certainly irritating if it doesn't serve an informational purpose, but that's (sadly) what the news has come to, more often than not it would seem.

And that explains your disdain for the fact that the search was for a missing white child, precisely how? Descriptors tend to be helpful when searching for someone or something.

o

elvis, once again, there is a widespread, well recognized, documented press phenomenon known as "missing white girl syndrome" .

I'm not the first person to use the descriptive phrase by a long shot, and most people know exactly what it refers to. If you're still confused, try using google.

o

David, if you explain this to her parents I don't think they will be comforted.

o

Elvis it isn't about the child its about the press coverage....but you know that.

o

To try to find a missing child, yes, it IS about the press coverage; of course. That's a different "it" than David's disparaging reference to "disappeared white girl" tragedies. Please don't be obtuse, Chase.

o

I am many things but I assure you one of them isn't obtuse . So much so that I can clearly see you are just trying to stir the pot and therethere is no point trying to have a discussion with you on what the intent of Davids remarks were.

o

No intent to "stir the pot"; that is an unfortunate by- product of reinforced denial.

o

Ok, David. Lets try to be just a little bit practical. I don't know what times of the day you watch television but I'll bet it doesn't coincide with the times I watch or even the stations I watch. If you have cable or satellite you might not even look at a local station. I know most of my neighbors watch at times that just don't work for me and my times would not fit their schedules at all. To be useful, information on a local missing child needs to get out to parents of other children who might be at risk and people who might be in different areas at different times of day.

The police need all the extra ears and eyes they can get when something like this happens. That is why most or probably all of those public announcements (not ads) include info on how to report information that might be helpful and different photos of the child and what she had with her/him. I don't think it was a policeman on the beat that found that backpack.

You don't like the particular person making the announcement, tune it out or look somewhere else for the minute or so it airs. That should be easy enough to do. You can do it for the political ads as well. I do it all the time.

We don't get the announcements from the Denver area. I expect you don't get the ones from Fort Wayne. We only hear about your local missing child through 10 second sound bites on the news unless it affects us locally. We do hear Amber alerts and Silver alerts from Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Illinois. The reports cover the missing of all races, ages and sexes. Sadly there are time limits on those reports for obvious reasons. The last one I heard, recovered an 18 month old African-American boy taken from southern Indiana and found two days later in Chicago. There was a sighting of the suspect's car from a small town near here that helped the police find him.

You don't like the ongoing soap operas from shows like Nancy Grace? Don't watch them. You are not required to watch them just as I don't have to watch sports events or any other type of show I don't care for.

If it had been your child, would you be saying the same thing?

o

Beyond pathetic.

o

I see. If the only thing the media covers is reporters trying to out-commiserate each other over a horrible tragedy interspersed with disgusting, lying political attack ads, I should just turn off the set - I mean, who cares what the weather is going to be, after all - and when asked by the incessant political robo-calls and robo-polls, not make any comment about the direction of the county.

I'll do so, and thanks for the great advice.

o

Did I say turn off the set? Did the poll takers want to talk about a dead child? Did you put your name on the Do Not Call list? If you can't get the weather on the TV due to the proliferation of Political ads and hysterics over a "missing white girl" perhaps you should use your computer to get your local weather report. Just type in the name of your choice of local TV stations and click on weather. It will probably be a better report in more detail than on the news. In fact it will probably have the video of that broadcast you are missing. I can see the local forecast and the active weather across the whole continent. I can pinpoint the active weather right down to my own house. I wouldn't be surprised that if I wanted, it would go all around the world on some channel. I keep it on when there is bad weather expected.

No? Gee, you couldn't gripe about a dead, dismembered white child then, could you?

o

Oh, great, I'll try checking for the weather on my computer, then I won't have to turn the set on at all. Thanks for even more great advice.

Your tirade ending with: No? Gee, you couldn't gripe about a dead, dismembered white child then, could you?"

An insulting, deliberately obtuse and blatantly vicious misinterpretation, obvious to anyone who reads it.

o

Never mind, David... it IS well documented, nothing new or exciting, and it's something I'd heard years ago. It's a small part of institutionalized racism in this country, the USA.

o

sleepless, I think this now officially makes you the forum scold par excellence. Such a lot of verbiage to berate and beat down a person, with elvis again acting as the Greek chorus. David, I'm sorry you were subjected to this; you did nothing to deserve it and the point you were making obviously sailed over their heads completely. I totally agree with the observation you were making, and it was a very valid one.

o

Then my guess, Ingrid, is that you have never lived close to the horror that such an incident really is. I didn't really know the family but I had seen the child at the school and they lived only a couple of miles from us in our quiet little rural Wisconsin town where my nearest neighbor was a 1/2 mile away. Hundreds of people from all over the state came to look for her even though everyone knew it wouldn't end well. They caught the #$%&# when he tried it again. He would drive up behind them while they were riding their bikes and force them off the road. And he had done it before, elsewhere. He wasn't from our town. He picked it because it was a nice quiet little rural town. The last one happened to be a very small athletic adult who was able to get away and give a description.

If you think I am a scold, thats fine. At least I'm not an a##.

o

Sleepless, I made a point; you made the same point. Trust me, they get it, they just have a major problem admitting it was wrong. A minor lapse into foot in mouth disease. The point's made, and I doubt that particular phrase will be used again on this forum.

It's like Jodi with the 2 year old and the gun. I do recall that more then once it has been stated by libs here that when one of their own is wrong, they will stand up and say so. With the 2 year old gun fun thing, they did! In spades--so I must either conclude that they find the criticism of what David finds to be excessive attention being paid to missing white girls to be acceptable, or more likely, they just can't admit it was wrong.

Either way, I'm not spending any more time on this.

o

Or that disparaging the press for putting out the word about a little white girl that went missing in efforts to find her is less egregious than letting two year olds operate guns and ATVs.

o

Well no, actually, as I said earlier, if you were here watching the reporters preening and gushing before the cameras, using the horror and grief of this family for self-promotion, I'd bet money you'd actually share my disgust instead of basing your posts on a dislike of the often-used phrase 'missing white girl syndrome' to describe the press orgy.

And once again, as a father of a 14 year old girl who jogs, rides bikes, and waits for the school bus in the dark, when I watch the news about an atrocity like this, I want facts, not idiot reporters trying to out-commiserate each other for hours on end.

Now run along and twist that anyway you want.

o

"Or that disparaging the press for putting out the word about a little white girl that went missing in efforts to find her is less egregious than letting two year olds operate guns and ATVs."

How are the two interconnected. Please, oh pleasant one, tell me the point behind that post. Why, exactly, would David be the target of that silly, ridiculous, "hateful" post?

o

"... as I said earlier, if you were here watching the reporters preening and gushing before the cameras, using the horror and grief of this family for self-promotion, I'd bet money you'd actually share my disgust instead of basing your posts on a dislike of the often-used phrase 'missing white girl syndrome' to describe the press orgy."

As you "said earlier":

Posted by david52 (My Page) on Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 13:22

"Missing White Woman Syndrome, aka Missing white girl syndrome etc:
"A term for when media coverage ratchets up to follow the murder, kidnapping, or disappearance of white females, often pretty and young, and often to the exclusion of minority, male, and older missing persons.

The origin of the term is unclear. Although Professor Sheri Parks of the University of Maryland claims to have coined it circa 2005, it apparently has been in use among journalists (and FARK.com) for years before that. It's also been referred to as 'missing pretty girl syndrome' and 'damsel in distress syndrome'. Although it appears to be a primarily American phenomenon, a similar coverage bias is reported to exist in the United Kingdom, and some people believe Canada and Australia have a similar disinterest in the fate of their own missing minority persons - and (in Canada, at least) disenfranchised in general; this is how Robert Pickton was able to get away with killing over fifty Vancouver prostitutes.

That being said, the most likely ignored missing person is the Disposable Sex Worker and/or the Disposable Vagrant. Presumably the inspiration for the Trope is the White Knighting mind-set. For more information, including a detailed breakdown of the coverage cycle and links to dozens of cases, see this article at Wikipedia. This column at CNN.com has some thoughts on it, and in the years since this trope entry was first written many more writers have weighed in on the topic.

Compare If It Bleeds, It Leads, Local Angle, Men Are the Expendable Gender (the news certainly thinks so)

Here is a link that might be useful: link"

Your earlier expansion on the subject (above) sounds pretty clinical to me.

o

Yes, its cynical. Good observation!!!

o

Not cynical. Clinical. Actually, cynical I could take--used appropriately. Which I don't believe it was.

o

"Not cynical. Clinical. Actually, cynical I could take--used appropriately. Which I don't believe it was."

I wish that you had a better grasp of the English language. "Cynical" certainly fits the situation better than "clinical".

o

You're late to this conversation, Frank my friend. I am cynical. David was disrespectful.

o

No, elvis, it was you who were disrespectful, whereas David was, as usual, cynical.

David, we know what you meant and you explained the term very clearly.

o

Word.

o

That only makes it wrong in your mind, elvis... not in the person's mind who feels confident enough to actually dive in and teach their two year old. I didn't note too many answers to my questions, though, which is par for the course, and would explain all the negativity. Not that I care, particularly, and not that a comparison is even valid within this thread. And that's the reality, here... that comparison isn't valid.

David explained the term more than adequately, and now the usual suspects will grasp at straws to try coming out on top. It's the typical modus operandi in these situations... and that is word.

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 9:36

"That only makes it wrong in your mind, elvis... not in the person's mind who feels confident enough to actually dive in and teach their two year old. I didn't note too many answers to my questions, though, which is par for the course, and would explain all the negativity. Not that I care, particularly, and not that a comparison is even valid within this thread. And that's the reality, here... that comparison isn't valid."

Yo! You don't really believe that I was comparing David's callous remark ("disappeared white girl") to your advocacy of encouraging 2 year olds to handle firearms and vehicles...or do you? I hope not; if you really believe that, I'm going to have to reassess your potential.

I remarked that based on the FACT that it has been stated more than once that when one of you guys (you know who you are--and aren't) really puts your foot in it, so to speak, you will be called on it by other(s) in your tribe. And this has been true. As a very recent example, fresh in our minds, I cited the Jodi position with 2 year old and dangerous items. Her supporters jumped right in and let her know this was not a good thing.

Since none of you had a problem with David's very insensitive statement:

"Did I mention the number of attack ads on TV? We currently have one of those disappeared white girl tragedies complete with helicopters filming fleets of law enforcement combing fields, breathless reporters outside the police station and so on - this interspersed with 4-5 attack ads each commercial break. The same ones, over and over again."

I must conclude that you all condone it. Not a one of you disagreed with David; you simply either ignored it, or veered off on the topic of the media phenomenon of the same name.

What does that say to me? That you as a group hold the value of the life of a missing white child to be less than the value of someone else's life. No one has said here, including Sleepless or me, that the life of a white child is greater than anyone else's; rather, that it is not worth less. David's statement diminished the value of this little girl's life, and I take great offense to that (in case you didn't notice).

o

You weren't the only one, Elvis.

I dare say the "R" word would be bandied about like a bat and the head whopping and kicking would still be in full swing, if a conservative poster had made that very same observation and had substituted "black" for white girl.

If one reads carefully and thinks, they would understand that they, personally, or their actions do not enter the equation, and that the comparison was the reaction of the posters, not the events.

o

You do read carefully. Nice to hear from you, Demi.

o

How sad that after all of the above explanations there are STILL three of you that simply do not understand. My guess is that you decided to veer off into some sort of racial tangent that was emotionally more attractive to you than the point David was trying to make over and over. Time to give up and go home.

o

Please do.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 0:31

Give up? What?! Never!!!

o

It's all they have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here