Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Morning After Pill is available to girls in some

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 5:09

NYC high schools with no questions asked and no parental notification required. Needless to say many parents are upset with this as I would be, and surely you would be, too...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Morning After Pill is available to girls in some

No actually I would not be upset by it. I would have supported it had our school district done that.

I would hope my daughter would have talked to me if she found herself in that situation. But if she wasn't comfortable doing that she would have had that option. I would rather she had that option than not and had to deal with a pregnancy later which would be more difficult and traumatic.

o

I agree with jillinnj, I support this too.

o

I completely support this. Some young girls have parents who would subject them to all sorts of emotional trauma if they were required to be notified. What's wrong with girls taking personal responsibility in this most fundamental of areas?

That said, I do hope the program also ensures that counseling is available to get the girls who are regularly sexually active on some form of more reliable birth control than whatever they were using that failed.

o

Excellent point, circuspeanut. But, I suspect the parents that object to the morning after pill would object to that also.

o

I agree, Jill, which is why we need to maintain the laws that protect the sovereignty of young women's medical records. Their reproductive health is their own business and the state has no right to intervene on behalf of parents, either encouragingly or prohibitively.

o

I'm pleased with this. My daughters are past the point where I need to be concerned for them, but my ex-wife and I had contingency plans if one of them got into "trouble".
Now I have a grandson (10) and twin granddaughters (10) that are nearing puberty. I would like to see the morning after pill distributed nationwide. Expecting abstinence from healthy young adults when the hormones are flowing is to ask too much.
I remember those days. I learned early the benefits of spermicides and I'm grateful. My daughter/SIL with the twin granddaughters are very religious and I'm afraid they'll expect abstinence. That's good if it works but accidents occur.
I hate to see the prospects of any young person ruined by early motherhood/fatherhood. When I was working in the prison, several of my inmates were in there for statutory rape. One met the young lady in a bar and "assumed" she was of legal age (she was 15). Her parents had money/politics on their side and he is doing 20 years as a result.
If one pill can do an instant rewind, it is a good thing. Parents and recriminations need not be involved. My opinion.

o

I agree with Jill... I would not be upset by this, and would, in fact, encourage it in schools.

There are too many teens out there who lack the necessary link of good, open, honest communication with their parents, which leads to a widening gap as these teens begin to make decisions for themselves, some that have consequences attached.

I feel the same way as Circuspeanut... we need to protect the sovereignty of young persons' medical records and private lives. Parents are not always the best judges, or always the most responsible.

I can't tell you how many of my own kids' friends came and asked us for advice because they couldn't talk with their own parents. Those parents either didn't have the time, or were completely irrational. It was very sad to see how many chose talking to school counselors or other parents over their own.

We always hope our own children will talk to us, about anything, but sometimes they can't... they don't feel like they can. I could never have discussed sex or birth control with my own parents... but we did foster an environment of open honesty without retribution for our own kids.

So, yes... this is a good thing, a necessary thing.

o

I agree with the last 4-5 posters.

Kate

o

We always hope our own children will talk to us, about anything, but sometimes they can't... they don't feel like they can. I could never have discussed sex or birth control with my own parents... but we did foster an environment of open honesty without retribution for our own kids.

Same for me, Jodi. I could never talk about that with my parents. I and most of my friends used Planned Parenthood when we were teenagers. I could never ask my mom any questions. For her, it was not until you're married and there's nothing to talk about. Needless to say I had to get my info somewhere else.

I do believe that my daughter would talk to me if she found herself in that position. She did and still does talk to me about everything. We had talks when she was a teenager. I told her many times that I would support her decision whatever it was (sex or wait). And I would drive her to the doctor to get birth control if that's what she wanted. And if she didn't want to talk about it, I would drive her without talking, no questions asked. Better she should have birth control and not talk to me, than not have birth control and get pregnant. Same thing with drinking -- she could call at any time day or night from anywhere and I would come get her without asking any questions. Better that than she got behind the wheel drunk or with someone else that was drunk.

I just don't understand the if we don't tell them or give them access to the info, they won't have sex and won't need birth control or the morning after pill if something went wrong. It's been proven it does not work.

o

I find it sad that so many people just encourage young people to have sex when they are not prepared for it, yet adults say "take a pill and all is well." Children should not be having sex.

What happened to teaching your children self respect? Funny, that worked for 99% of society when I was growing up, but now it seems it doesn't work anymore. Only pills and abortion work. I thank God I was not your child.

o

When did you grow up GGM? Was that before coat hangers were invented?

o

Ha ha ha! The conservative mind set at work. Because we are realistic and talk to our kids openly we are encouraging them to have sex. Get real.

o

Doesn't seem like they need much encouragement...

o

Doesn't seem like they need much encouragement...

Which is exactly why open dialogue and access to what they need needs to happen. If the teen cannot or does not want to talk to their parents, they need somewhere else to go. Not having that does not prevent them from having sex, as much as the religous right wants you to believe it does.

And, it's been proven that the states that have abstinence only sex education have the highest teen pregnancy rates. So, what does that tell you?

o

1869 must not have been a "good" year for the 99%.

Here is a link that might be useful: New York Foundlings

o

I have mixed feelings about this. Sex is a very powerful part of all of us and things can go farther than we may have originally intended. For young women who find themselves in that situation, and don't feel comfortable going to their parents or their doctor, this is an excellent option. Beats an unplanned, unwanted pregnancy.

On the other hand, I would not want a programme like this to become someones birth control plan. I would hope that girls that use this service more than once be counseled to see their doctor or go to Planned Parenthood for birth control education and birth control pills.

o

It might come as a total shock to a few people, but premarital sex is not a new event... teens have been experimenting with sex since the beginning of time... way before "the pill" came to be, and way before the morning after pill came into existence.

To live within the boundaries of reality and understand that hormones often dictate what happens, and that abstinence is not a recognized form of actual birth control, is not akin to encouraging anything. I can't believe that mindset actually exists.

I guess it does explain all the orphanages and orphans of the past few centuries, though, and the clandestine way they kept filling up. I guess that would foster the appearance that abstinence worked... even though it didn't... and doesn't.

Other parents are free to raise their children with or without giving them the information they need as young teens, and are free to expect that "no" will be the one true answer for everything... but those of us who live in the real world know that the more informed our youth is, the better prepared they are to make the best decisions for themselves. Statistics would bear out this theory.

Absolutely, Jill... I agree with everything you said. I wish my own mother had been easier to talk to, and though I was smart enough to get to a clinic for myself, there are too many young people who can't, or won't... because they don't have enough information, or don't have any parental support.

As parents, we not only opened the doors of communication, we also ensured our kids had access to anything they might need, whether it was just the right information, or actual birth control. Sex is nice, but it's not worth dying for... and that's what kids risk today when they have unprotected sex.

Pregnancy is not the only risk teens have to know about. There's also an array of sexually transmitted diseases floating about, and one can't tell who might be a carrier by just looking at them. This is one area where wealth and class, and how clean cut or well dressed a person appears, don't mean a heck of a lot.

It's better to know how to protect oneself, and why protection is necessary, than to be kept in the informational dark by parents too uptight or embarrassed to open up and speak about sex.

Protection has never equaled encouragement, just as abstinence has never equaled protection... not in a dictionary, and not in the real world.

o

Oy, this conservative logic is laughable.

I'll let you in on a little secret GGM, kids are going to do what they are going to do whether you talk about it or not.

Just for fun, let's use me for an example. When I was in my first year of university, my boyfriend and I had an "accident". It wasn't the first accident we had had. We were teenagers and we thought bad things only happen to other people. At the time we had discussed going to the campus medical clinic to get the morning after pill (at the time, in Canada, it was only available through a prescription, this has since changed), but in the end we didn't. We thought that the chances were slim since we had been through that before and nothing came of it, we had busy student lives, and it was embarrassing to have to go to the clinic. Our eldest daughter was born when we were the ripe old age of 19.

Fast forward about 6 years later, and my husband (yes, same guy) and I find ourselves in another situation. Don't get me wrong, we had learned our lesson from the first time. This was a true accident, not a "we're incapable of seeing the consequences of our actions and being risky is hot" type of accident. There was no way we were ready for another baby at that time. Hell, we were still reeling from the first one! We were newly married, new home owners, had student loans to pay, and, despite what most conservatives think of liberals, we were determined to make it on our own, without the use of government assistance. During those 6 years, the morning after pill had become available over the counter in Canada, and we decided not to take any chances. The next day I went to the drugstore, and the rest, they say, is history.

Two different levels of accessibility with two different outcomes. I'll leave it up to you to decide which outcome you would prefer for your daughters (and yes, kids of conservatives have sex too).

Oh, and since I'm a liberal, a teen mom, and I've popped the pill, feel free to cast your stones in this direction.

o

Ya...just what is it with the Regressives' obsession with other people's sexlife. It does make one wonder.

o

I find it sad that so many people just encourage young people to have sex when they are not prepared for it

It would indeed be sad. Fortunately nobody on this thread has advocated doing that.

teaching your children self respect

It's always so interesting to me how some folks conflate responsible sexual behavior with a lack of self-respect. What could be more self-respecting than consciously owning the limitations of one's body and circumstances by realistically assessing one's abilities to parent/not parent?

We as a society make every effort to equalize opportunity for our youth who are physically handicapped in some way. No more should we deny our young women the opportunity to equalize the biological burden placed upon them as the ones who happen to bear the brunt of reproduction. And we need to do so without shaming or limitation.

o

I'm 60 I didn't know many virgins in HS, well a few technical ones. Now that we are older many of the men have wilder stories & a few of the women have turned into snow white...ah well!
National statistics indicate teen pregnancy has actually declined since the 1950's however the number of teens in those stats who have chosen to bring to full term these pregnancies has risen.
Even with those stats & decline the US has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world.

Here's National stats wade through them if you wish the good old days are a myth & always have been!

Here is a link that might be useful: SEX

o

I think, Circuspeanut, that we're supposed to live by the idea that all women, all females, should be able to press ten pennies into a dime between our knees... until our wedding night.

If someone wants to maintain celibacy until such time as they're married, more power to them... but this is the 21st century, and we are no longer bound by such old fashioned social constructs.

If it's acceptable for males to notch their belts at every conquest, then it's acceptable for women to be sexual creatures, not afraid of expressing ourselves sexually. I live in the modern world where it's expected that I would test drive a car before purchasing, and not just buy it sight unseen.

It has nothing to do with morals or self respect. In fact, I find it a lot more self respecting and moral to think about consequences beforehand, and own what we do and take responsibility therein.

I've always found it so amazing that parents who preach abstinence, and won't talk to their kids about sex or birth control, are really under the impression that their kids are abstinent. It's quite the surprise when they're the ones that come home pregnant, or require treatment for an std, or spend that savings account to pay for an abortion on the sly. I've seen it happen so many times...

But then, the statistics do tell us exactly what happens, where, and to whom.

o

My mother had a bowl of condoms in her guest bathroom at all times. She filled it, no questions asked. I don't know how many of my friends helped themselves from her bowl and neither does she.

I have a friend from high school. Her parents, Catholics, preached abstinence. She didn't turn out any more self-respecting than I did. In fact, that was the case across the board. All the parents who thought their children "morally" superior found out the hard way.

My mom realized we are human animals and gave us as much safety as she could, knowing the dangers and the nature of young adults.

I think she gave us the chance to develop more self-respect as we didn't have to hide, think it was shameful, or have the fear of her anger.

o

Raising kids is hard work and this aspect of their upbringing requires lots of thought, respect for the child and demonstrating your job is not to judge them but to guide them, educate them and listen to them...it ain't easy!

I was quite open with my daughter but took my cues from her as to how much she wanted to "talk". What I did make clear was that any discussion between her and our family doctor was personal and none of my business. As a matter of fact I stopped going into the doctors office with her when she was about 10. I would join them after the doctor had time alone with DD.

We got through it all and in fact she was celibate until half way through university......since then not so much! LOL

o

That's a great idea, Silver! I concur wholeheartedly with your mother's ideas and approach... she's quite the realist. :-)

I don't want to know that much about the sexual lives of my children... what I want to know is that they're safe, protected, and that they have all the necessary information and materials they need to be safe and protected. I don't want to stand in judgment... that's not my thing. I just want to know that they're safe. Whatever they decide, I'm behind them 100%.

o

The city says about 7,000 girls get pregnant by the time they reach the age of 17. It says more than half choose to get an abortion.

Nearly 2 Million New Yorkers are under the age of 18 & 55% of them are in High School

o

• Posted by sweeby Gulf Coast TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 19:53

What teaches self-respect more than saying "Here's what you need to know. I trust you to make the decision that's right for you. If you want to discuss it or need my help, I'm here for you."

o

Oh, Yes!!! As one poster said, "children shouldn't be having sex."

BUT, they do. In fact, I would wonder how with today's TV programs, Movies, even advertising for sexual aids, can they NOT be interested. And if they are curious and interested, it's just a matter of time until they are active sexually.

Times have changed. Some parents still like to pretend that if you don't talk about it, sex won't happen. Sex has always happened. It always will. The sooner the "children" learn to be responsible about it, the better.

o

My mom use to say "decency does not go out of style" and I'm glad she's not alive today to see it has.

I grew up during a time when people had respect for themselves and others. A time when it mattered if you were a lady or a gentleman and conducting yourself accordingly was the right thing to do.

My parents never had to preach abstinence. They lived by setting an example, educating us and instilled morals and self respect. It's really not that hard to raise a child who respects his/her body enough not to go screwing around before becoming an adult physically as well as mentally.

When I look at Sandra Flock, I feel sorry for her. She has to go on National TV to tell the world she needs help to buy birth control. As a woman I find her offensive and an embarrassment. Sandra Flock poised herself as someone representing all young women. OMG, what a very sad commentary for young women everywhere.

Dem's are screaming Romney hates women because Sandra Flock proclaimed she needs help buying her birth control pills and he's not buying them. That's very funny.

o

Dear heart you keep preaching & I provided statistics that refute your good old days nonsense.

o

GGM, I assure you, Sandra Flock doesn't need you or anyone to feel sorry for her.

She is a self assured, self confident young woman, with nothing to be ashamed of and her parents have every right to feel and be proud of her.

Much to your apparent dismay, she does represent young women today, and those young women are very proud of her, my daughter included.

Other than your "nonsense" that you are preaching, women have every right to demand and expect insurance companies to pay for birth control pills, just as they pay for that "little blue pill" for men.

As long as people like you also believe that women should be forced to carry a pregnancy to term, then you better believe that birth control of all types should be offered to whom ever needs and wants it, and the morning after pill should be available to those in need, regardless of the age.

Those that live with their heads buried deep in the sand, create havoc for the majority, regardless of the issue, yet it always seems to mostly revolve around issues that directly affect women, women's right to control their body, reproductive rights, sex education in schools, women's rights to terminate a pregnancy.

If it's not women's rights, then its putting your "nose' in the bedroom of others and dictating what can and can't be done in that bedroom, or whom one can and can not marry, what is and isn't considered a marriage,

It either directly or indirectly revolves around sex and women.

Oh, I get it. It's the right wing religious right of the GOP continuing to jam their religious beliefs down everyone else's throat and turn this country into a country of laws based on the Evangelical Religious right.

What isn't needed is this country, the laws, the people, the beliefs going backwards to what they call "the good old days". they were not good for a majority of the people in this country.

It's time to wake up and realize that you are not the only people on this earth, the only people in this country and your beliefs are not what everyone else believes, but are actually only a tiny fraction of what people believe.

GGM, you really need to take your head out of the sand and get yourself a dose of reality.

o

Instilled morals? Yeah. One can see that...

I still want to know why other people's sexlife is any of their business oh, wait...

o

labrea, my days were good in the sense I was taught to respect my body. Maybe where you come from and how you were raised is a different story. Your statistics mean nothing to me.

little, you type some ridiculous nonsense. No, I do not have to pay for Sandra Flocks birth control. This is nonsense. If she wants to screw around she can pay for her own.

FYI Sandra Flock put her bedroom habits into my living room by coming on national TV to tell me she screws around a lot and I should be paying for her birth control pills.

Do you people hear yourself? You are angry at me because I have a different set of moral values than you do. I'm not angry at you because you are different then me. Control your anger, it's menacing.

o

Projection. It ain't pretty.

o

little, you type some ridiculous nonsense. No, I do not have to pay for Sandra Flocks birth control. This is nonsense. If she wants to screw around she can pay for her own.

Actually you are posting the nonsense,

Be that as it may, in the same vein as you are whining about not paying for,

I don't want to have to pay for some little old man's or any man's little blue pill that he can take so that he can enjoy himself.
But I don't get to have any say in that, do I? You don't either. Insurance cover all that stuff for men.

How ironic is that GGM? They pay for the man to be able to have himself a good old time, but the one that will suffer the consequences of allowing the man to have himself a good old time has to shell out the money from her own wallet to protect herself from the man having himself a good old time.

Now if that isn't hypocritical, I don't know what is.

Oh, and did you know that birth control pills can and are used for other reasons beside preventing pregnancy? Does't matte what the reason is for prescribing the birth control pill though, those pesky insurance companies , well the ain't gonna pay for the prescription for birth control pills no matter what the reason.

Double standard, attack on women,

You have a different moral standard than others, that's fine, GGM. No one disputes that or has suggested that you can't have that difference.

The problem is, the objection is that you want it your way and no other way is acceptable to you.
You want everyone to follow your rules, your morals, your beliefs and nothing else and if they do, well it's too bad for them, suffer and shut up about it.

Life doesn't work that way. The world isn't that way and you do not have a right to force your beliefs, regardless of what they are onto others.

You want to bring up your kids a certain way, go for it, but you have no right to expect or force others to follow what you want, what you believe.

The reason anger is being directed towards you is because you are attempting to, you want everyone to "get in line, follow your rules, believe as you do and you go after those that don't.

Those that disagree with you are pointing out that you are living in a dream world if you think that your way is the only way and that is the way it will be. It would be nice if it was, but reality is reality and reality is not what you want or describe.

What is menacing and dangerous is to live in the dreamworld that you live in and think that the rest of the world, the rest of this country should join you.

It isn't going to happen and since that is what reality and statistics show, teens in HS need to be able to have birth control available to them.

The old the more you know the more you will do has always been an absurd idea about sex ed, availability of birth control for teens, learning about the proper use of various birth control devices.

The only time I have ever heard that type of policy was towards the above.

How come it doesn't affect education on illegal drugs, drinking and driving? When it comes to those subjects, its always the more you know, the more you won't do.

The anger that is menacing GGM is the anger that puts teens, women and anyone at risk, risk for their safety, their health, their well being.

You really do need to look in the mirror,

projection" is not pretty.

o

Overall teenage pregnancies have been down again this year although there hasn't been much change in states that require abstinance.

The current rate of teen pregnancies, about 35 per 1,000 girls between the ages of 15 and 19, is the lowest on record since the CDC began to track these statistics in 1940. The CDC attributes the improvement to pregnancy prevention efforts and education.

However, 37 states currently mandate that all sex education include information on abstinence, 26 of whom insist that abstinence be taught as the main method of pregnancy prevention. Studies have indicated that abstinence-only programs may end up deterring contraceptive use among teens who do have sex, whereas teenagers who have been taught a comprehensive sex ed curriculum are “60 percent less likely” to become pregnant or get someone else pregnant.

The U.S. has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the industrialized world" twice as high as in England or Canada, and ten times higher than Switzerland.I'm repeating that stat again, (and it has been coming down not going up)

About 750,000 teens get pregnant in the United States each year. Nevada has the highest teen birth rate; 113 out of every 1,000 teens will get pregnant.
Mississippi has the highest teen pregnancy rate.

A sexually active teen who does not use contraceptives has a 90% chance of becoming pregnant within a year.

Louisiana does not require sex education for its students. But if schools
choose to offer sex education, Louisiana requires that programs closely
track with the federal definition of abstinence-only education.

Stats are so much better than feelings & memory in conveying whats actually going on & even then it only shows you reported statistics of people with access to health care or clinics.

o

A great part of the issue is that old fashioned social constructs and religions hold an "out of sight/out of mind" attitude about sex. Sexuality and the human form are considered dirty, taboo, to be hidden and not talked about... which leaves young teens in the lurch of guessing, of being coerced, of wanting to open Pandora's box and discover just what it is that's so exciting it has to be kept under wraps. Meanwhile, they are constantly bombarded by a very modern, open media that doesn't portray sex and the human form as something to be hidden away. A teen from that sort of background would have to be rather confused once the apron strings are cut.

One can only win a war if one is properly armed and has access to all the ammunition they might need. The same holds true of getting through the toughest years in youth... the time frame in which hormones begin to bounce around, peer pressure is at its greatest, a time in which parental influence will be tested against what the outside world has to offer.

As a parent, I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't adequately prepare my young offspring to meet the challenges of the adult world. This includes giving them real, practical information, and making certain that they know how to protect themselves.

I won't always be there to make decisions for them, and at some point I have to trust in my own parenting skills. I have to trust that they will make the right decisions for themselves. I also have to stand back and allow them to make their own mistakes. I have to relegate myself to an advisory position only. I can't live their lives for them, or make them conform to my way of thinking.

What I CAN do, however, is give them a good example to follow, avoid judgment, offer support, and give them a healthy view of sex, sexuality, and the human body through the information and education provided to them.

The worst thing I could do as a parent is avoid the subject of sex, or assume that my teens will think and act exactly as I expect them to. To avoid the issues and turn a blind eye is to fool oneself. Our youth is a lot smarter than we give them credit for, and we can't make them sneak around in order to avoid confrontation with us, the parents.

Projection, indeed. The interesting thing is what statistics tell us about the logistics and various segments of our population in which abortion, divorce, drug use, and other issues are prevalent...

o

Life doesn't work that way. The world isn't that way and you do not have a right to force your beliefs, regardless of what they are onto others

========================================================

Force my beliefs.... Are you kidding me? I'm saying my thoughts on the subject and that's "forcing my beliefs." You can read or not read my posts. I am not holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do anything. Get real.

and you continue on with: They pay for the man to be able to have himself a good old time, but the one that will suffer the consequences of allowing the man to have himself a good old time has to shell out the money from her own wallet to protect herself from the man having himself a good old time.

========================================================

You make it sound like the men taking the blue pill are running around raping women who have no say so in what they do. You are diminishing women with your wild and crazy comments, please stop.

o

Advocating for less access to reproductive choices and education for women is actually diminishing. Statistics prove that in general, the more educated female is less likely to succumb to social pressures, and is more likely to protect herself.

If a pill that makes it possible for males to have sex is covered by insurance, shouldn't a pill that helps females plan families be covered, too? I think so. What makes it even more incredulous is that the pill for males only has one purpose, while the pill for females has multiple purposes with some of those being medical.

Such thinking that allows males an option but doesn't allow females any options is so patriarchal and Victorian in nature.

o

The "Good Old Days"

Childbearing. The rate of teen childbearing in the United States has fallen steeply since the late 1950s, from an all time high of 96 births per 1,000 women aged 15-19 in 1957 to an all time low of 49 in 2000. In recent years, this downward trend has occurred among teens of all ages and races.

Among teens in the United States, at least in recent years, declining birthrates are not the result of more pregnant teens opting to have an abortion. The U.S. teen abortion rate, after rising through the 1970s and holding fairly constant during the 1980s, then began a steady decline. By 1997, the rate was 28 abortions per 1,000 women 15-19 33% lower than the rate a decade earlier.

I think the judgement on women being "loose" and not having "morals" and needing to keep their legs closed has nothing to do with not wanting unexpected pregnancy and everything to do with control.

A person can have a lot of sex, with a lot of different people, and still be a moral, good, intelligent person.

Sex is not immoral if it's done with two willing, of age partners. If God meant for us only to have sex after marriage he'd have made a marriage switch in there somewhere.

Sorry, gates don't open until marriage o'clock...

o

Sorry, here's the link to my quotes

Here is a link that might be useful: The link I forgot

o

GGM: Get real.

That's actually funny! Those of us that are looking at this from a practical perspective are REAL. We've looked at the statistics. The statistics match up with common sense. Complete sex education and access to what they need to protect themselves is the best way to protect teens from getting pregnant.

Having that in no way encourages teens to have sex, as the religous right would have you believe.

On the other hand, those that like to stick their head in the sand and pretend that if we don't talk about, it doesn't exist, are the ones that are not living in REALITY.

Don't want to talk to your teens about sex? Don't. Don't want them to use birth control or the morning after pill if needed, tell them not to.

But, the rest of us rational folks want our teens to have EASY access to birth control and the morning after bill.

Our teens having easy access to that is none of your business. And if you think teens weren't having sex when you were a teen, you're mistaken.

o

I like facts & stats so 99% of whomsoever, were never whatever, whenever! I feel sad for states that have such high sexually transmitted disease rates among teens & adults yet insist on teaching abstinence!

o

"Believing" means not knowing.

Turn around and vote creeps into office who will turn these "beliefs" into laws which will harm people oh but nooo! that's not "forcing" anything on anyone.

Again: OTHER people's sexlife is none of your business. Kids are people too. Simple as that.

o

Nice you had a happy youth with an attached globalized defense that says 99% of everyone else believed & behaved as you & yours did. Perhaps you are older that I though but I can only use national stats that make the 50-60s out to be something other than peoples convenient memories will permit them to experience.
There used to be lost of "DESIREABLE" babies to go round for adoptive parents in the 50's & 60's! Where did they come from?

o

I do, too, Joe... education is so important, as is having access to protection. This is what I mean about the statistics bearing out... where education is promoted, and where access to protection is available, the statistics look much better. Where abstinence only is the way, the statistics don't look so good.

I would agree with Jill, too... teens have been having premarital sex for as long as society has been around. It hasn't gone away just because a few people refuse to see it, or refuse to accept it.

You are free to teach or not teach your own children, but those of us who do live in the real world would like common sense education and protection accessibility.

The entire notion of removing education and accessibility to options through legislation is based upon private religious beliefs, and some irrational need to control the lives of others. As has been stated, it's none of anyone's business what teens do... and since we have less control over teens, it makes so much common sense to arm them with education and options. Statistic would agree.

o

Numbers shmumbers.

Stop confronting them with the truth, Joe!

o

Numbers shmumbers.
Stop confronting them with the truth, Joe!

Truth = Facts

And we know how they deal with facts...

o

Yes Ignore your original assertion & talk about something else.

This was an interesting post I hadn't realized for all the carrying on teen pregnancies were actually down & that more teens were actually choosing to have their children.
That must be annoying to folks who hate welfare as most teens who have children seeks some kind of assistance within the year they have it. AH Well!
Sad STD stats & they are even higher in runaway teens!

o

I'm keeping it in my pants from now on...

o

You, Tobr, are not a teen new to the whims of peer pressure and rampant hormones! You, one would hope, understand the different protections and options offered.

o

My only concern in this matter is moreso a technical one and admittedly I know little about the MAP. How can a school clinic dispense pharmaceuticals without (possibly)having full knowledge of any health issues or other current meds? Not sure a 14 or 15 year old would be cognizant enough (or too scared) to fully disclose and prerequisite school health forms can be lacking or outdated.

o

In Canada you can get it, without a prescription, at the pharmacy. Granted there is a pharmacist on duty but I suspect the questions that may have to asked are well understood by those dispensing it.

o

In high school health clinics where I have experience, there are always nurse practitioners and/or physicians, and they are the only ones who can give these medications to girls, and only after a one-on-one visit.

A huge percent of their time is spent on sex education and birth control. While the sex ed classes are invaluable, the individual time spent with a nurse or physician can make a huge difference for a young person who may have no one else to talk to.

Condoms, of course, are always freely available.

The pill is also available, without a prescription, in pharmacies, but it is not free.

o

My concern was also about lawsuits because of meds!
The hormone in the pill isn't in the body that long and so is different than long term birth control pills! I also remember
In February all the Hobgoblin rightist groups fueled by a Romney lie tried making a connection between the morning after pill & mifepristone which is not a contraceptive pill but abortive pill that terminates early pregnancies.
I know I received polio shots at school & I know in 2010 NYC School system administered 110,000 H1N1 flu shots.

o

lavender - I understand what you're saying, but the morning after pill isn't (or shouldn't be) a prescription drug. In many places, it's over the counter. The birth control pill is a different matter and that does need a prescription and is never dispensed by schools. Condoms, on the other hand, are dispensed by schools.

o

Thank you for the responses and good point about the flu shots and polio vaccines, although I imagine they required parental permission (mitigating the risk of lawsuit) and also preventative and mainstream in nature.

Perhaps times have changed, but I recall having to give written permission for the school nurse to administer to my teen otc meds such as Tylenol. I believe, prescriptive items like an asthma inhaler or an epi pen required a doctor's note and parental written permission.

I understand the MAP may be otc, but there is a risk with any medication, albeit small and I'm somewhat surprised that school districts (and town/city insurers) are willing to absorb that risk. If your son wants to play HS football, there is a mountain of paperwork, health forms and a release of liability for the parent or doctor to complete.

o

That would be why a nurse practitioner or a physician are on duty... to converse privately with teens, and get an accurate picture of their medical history before dispensing anything. This private conversation doesn't require a parent.

o

Actually, the school based health clinics in our City, and many County schools do offer all types of (reproductive) birth control services.

Many of these students would have a difficult time seeing a physician or nurse practitioner if there weren't a fully staffed clinics in the school for such things as immunizations, sports physicals, dental care, mental health, as well as chronic illnesses such as diabetes and asthma, just to name a few.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here