Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stay safe east coasters!

Posted by youngquinn VIC Aust (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 6:34

In Australia we are hearing terrible things about this storm that is bearing down on the east coast of America.

Stay safe everyone. TAKE CARE!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stay safe east coasters!

Sho-nuff try to.

Pulled in 3 bushels of corn yesterday so we probably won't starve to death.

o

Put on fresh manties for the ride...

o

We are battened down, here in the woods in north central Maryland. Watching the tree tops, the wind is starting to pick up, the rain has been steady since yesterday afternoon and getting heavier by the hour.

We have food, toilet paper, gas for the generator, batteries, buckets of water for when the power goes out and we have no water.

And lots of candy for Halloween, so we won't starve!

o

Holding you all in my thoughts! Take great care.

o

Being injured by falling branches is easily the highest risk. Nevertheless the urge to go out for a walk in stormy conditions is always high as well.....

o

Take any necessary precautions, and just stay safe. Good karma to everyone...

o

Please stay safe everyone. I hope everyone comes through safe and healthy. Thinking of you all.

o

Just got home. The wind on the highway was bad and I kept swerving.

o

Stay safe Elly. And do check in to let us know.

o

elly - I guess that means you went to work? Do they expect you to go in tomorrow also?

My office was shut down today and will be tomorrow too if mass transit is still not running (we already know NJ Transit will not be running).

It's getting ugly here.

Stay safe!

o

Power was out for a half hour just now. Gusts occasionally up to around 60. maybe a little more. Not too bad so far.

o

Hey Pam there's a crane dangling 65 stories up on 57 street! It's on the same block where you were staying on last time you were here!

o

Glad you are safe Elly.

o

Watching the crane on TV now. Why did they leave that thing up there when they knew this storm was coming for days???

o

well Im sure glad Im not staying there tonight Joe!
They estimate that the worst will hit in around 3 hours (8pm New York time?)SO its not over yet.

They are showing pictures of New York with empty streets. it looks so strange.
I hope that crane doesnt come down

o

Thanks, everyone.

I am not going in tomorrow.

o

There are numerous cranes all over the tops of construction here they rise as the building rises & unless it was mandatory to take them down then companies wouldn't undergo the costs of removal & then restoration of a crane.

That things hanging on by a thread when finished it will look like this
& be the most expensive apartment in Manhattan $100 Million

o

I just spoke with a very dear friend on the east coast, and so far they're alright... high winds, gusts, and rains, but nothing too horrible. They still have power, and there's no flooding to speak of. I hope it stays that way for them. I was worried, so I had to call.

o

ALL you folks from Maryland to Cape Cod, stay safe, and don't take any stupid chances!! NO job is worth risking your life.

o

My friend's mom's house has 1 ft of water. So Jersey.

Stay safe everyone.

o

Just lost power all of soh Jo greenwhich village TriBeCa lower manhattan his dark. Wish us luck lots of sirens out there

o

yeah thinking of you and wishing all in sandys path good luck to ride this out. We are hearing that the next 6 hours will be the worst for those around New York.
my thoughts and good wishes are with you

o

I just heard that the subways are completely flooded. A four-story building facade has fallen down; the front is gone. These were expensive apartments apparently. Also it appears it's not the only one.

We're watching the storm news constantly. It just keeps getting worse and worse. I had to shut the TV off twice today because I was getting so stressed.

I hope everyone is being very careful. One person has already been killed by a falling tree. Please stay inside!

o

Stay safe!

And good luck riding out the storm.

o

the crane that was dangling over 57th street has come down.

o

Looked but could not find. Do you have a link?

o

I saw it on TV on our news Don so I do not have a link , sorry

o

Looked at a couple of Aussie news sites, what station?

o

Weather channel says it is still hanging.

o

Don I must apologise.I just watched the news now and you are correct , it is still hanging.Must have gotten it confused with the partial building collapse . As I was passing through the room I saw Pics of the crane and , it looked like it was on the street.
I should have waitied until I could check before posting.

o

Grabbed the first links Google brought up -- CBS News and the Tribune.

Death toll is at 80 - 66 in the Carribean 14 in the US.

o

The wind practically stopped dead around 6pm here yesterday. I guess the storm went suddenly and unexpectedly west. Western PA, how ya doing?

Power has been out here since about 4pm, but indications are that it is from localized problems so will likely be back soon. Storm surge at high tides was unprecedented probably in many decades.

o

BTW, I'm logged on through someone's phone. Pretty amazing.

o

We escaped with less rain and less wind than I get in a bad storm in the Spring.

I hope those effected get power and get back to normal fast. You are all in my prayers.

o

Hi everyone! We lost power in central NJ last night at 6:30pm. It came back about 10:30am this morning. Text form my town said the entire town was without power.

There wasn't nearly as much rain as I expected. Wind was scary, though. Looking around this morning, trees down all around me. Neighbors on both sides of me and across the street have downed trees. One neighbor's fence taken out. We were very very lucky. Lots of tree limbs around but no trees down.

Text from my town this morning said almost all roads are impassable. Major roads through town are closed completely. Travel ban in effect.

Looks like the NJ shore and especially barrier islands were hit unbelievably hard. Gov. Christie said in his news conference this morning that he will be taking helicopter ride to assess damage but there is no place to land helicopter on the barrier islands due to devastation. There were houses on Rt 35. Crazy!

I know that lower Manhattan is still without power.

Hoping everyone else is ok!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 11:31

Thanks Youngquinn, we came through ok here in Va, no power lost like when Isabel & Irene went thru. Once the rain stops I estimate just 4 inches of rain which is good since we have a semi drought going on. Sorry for you up north of here, really terrible looking in so many areas.

o

I absolutely cannot believe we came thru this ...as of now. We had half a foot of rain and winds beyond belief gusting to 70mph, and so far have not lost power at all, We have some branches down, husband said the koi are okay and there's debris everywhere. When I went to bed last night after getting two hours of sleep the night before, I thought the power would surely go. Daughter didn't lose either,son did. Millions here did.The third largest power in history,

I don't think the storm is over because it's still raining but no wind right now. That happened before too so not sure we're out of the woods. I just sobbed today when I saw the devastation at my beloved Jersey shore and the tragedy of NYC.

o

NYC is a mess but as always still going. I just took a tour of the neighborhood and I have never seen anything like it.

We lost power at 8:30 pm and we don't know when it will be restored. Kudos to all the NY'ers who were out in this helping their neighbors including helping evacuate NYU MEdical Center and parts of Bellevue when their power went out and because of the water the backup generators were useless. Once again, they showed how wonderful the people in this city are.

o

Could have been way worse. Glad to see the 2 of you post.

Waiting for Elly & Joe...

o

Lily: How are the koi doing?

o

JZ...since it's still raining hard , I have not been up to the pond yet, but Husband was and said they're okay. Their waterfall was still running. They have debris in the ponds but that they can handle..Thanks for asking. It's very small potatoes knowing the horrible things others are going thru. My heart goes out to all those in coastal places and NYC.

o

Lilly, It may be small potatoes on a whole of the disaster but in your life it is not small. I am happy they are doing good.

o

Good to hear the storm was anti-climactic for so many.

o

Lily, be sure to test the water soon and do several water changes in the next weeks. When we got the tail wind storms from Katrina and the big one after that we got contamination from whatever the storms traveled over. You could easily have contamination from oil, fertilizer, herbicides and insecticides. even plant diseases. Flooding to get rid of what may float to the top is a good idea too. That is not to say that it will happen to the pond, it is just a possibility. But it did happen here and I lost quite a few fish in the days after the storms because I didn't know soon enough. Crops lakes and ponds here were affected all over this part of Indiana.

o

It's good to hear back from so many of you and that in some cases the situation was not as bad as you had feared. The coastal areas seem to have been the hardest hit and it's sad to see the devastation, not to mention a whole housing tract that burned down. Apparently many firemen lived there and were unable to save their homes since there was no water source to hook their hoses to.

I gather no one has heard from labrea. No telling when the power will come on in his area. I hope he's okay.

o

No Maggie, no Joe. Hoping it's just power outage.

o

I just checked with my co-worker who lives on east side in Manhattan. Still no power. He walked to the office today. So, Joe probably still has no power.

Where is Maggie? Long Island? Last I remember from her the water was rising. Hope she's ok!

o

I am worried about Elly.

o

Just popping on her after a quick recharge of the laptop uptown. Still no power beneath 40th Street so Joe does not have power either. They say a few more days to another week. It's a mess here but everyone is doing what they can to help. Business uptown are allowing people to recharge in their lobbies and even Chase bank is helping people as well.

There are many sick and elderly who need assistance who are stuck in their homes without water, electric or food. DH and DS and our manintenence men just carried a 90 year old neighbor down 15 flights so her son could take her to NJ.
It's a mess. But everyone is dealing with it the best they can. LI is 90-95% without power so our friends there may not post. For some it is worse now than the hurricane.

Off to save power on the laptop for later.

o

Hang in there. Cleanup will take some time.

Elly, KWoods, Joe (and EDD!) and Maggie. Here's hoping it's just the lack of power.

o

Here's hoping it's just the lack of power.

Now that gets an amen. I don't have Joe's contact info otherwise I would call him - I sent him an email. If he pops on I hope he knows if he needs anything he should contact me. I am sure that they are ok (hoping EDD is!)and it is just lack of power for them. As for Maggie Kwoods and others on LI, I am a bit more concerned.

Maddie and others who posted their concern....THANKS! It is much appreciated. I came on here as a distraction, now back to reality. Now where's the flashlight????

o

My daughter in in northern NJ and she has no power. She was told she will not have power restored until November 5!

o

Epi, good to hear from you!

Stay safe and hope power is restored soon.

o

I am so concerned about those with no power. I was just out picking up all the dead branches around our yard. It's still lightly raining and RAW!!! We were prepared for outages because they said millions in PA would be and it would be a week or more. Many thousands were out and power was restored to some already, but it was nothing compared to NY and NJ. I still can't believe it since the eye was directly over us for almost a full day. We just realized we have an enormous white pine tree decidedly leaning left(the only way to lean) and it's stable but who knows. Husband said at the golf course they have a lot that lean and grow that way. It's protected which is why it didn't topple.

I am still sick to my stomach about the Jersey Shore. A lifetime of memories gone forever. My grand-kids will never know them.

o

Go NuuYaawkers!!

Wish we could make this sticky...until all have checked in.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 6:56

Thanks epi for the update you were able to give, I too am very concerned for all our east coast friends ... and am keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

o

It's all just so sad for NJ and New York. My eyes fill with tears every time I watch the news.

o

It is what it is.

Besides the devastation, death toll now is at 76 for the US.

No sign of Elly, nor Maggie & Kwoods. But Long Island still is without power, so...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here