Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why would the media have a bias?

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 9:32

I don't know the answer to this, I am perplexed.

Republicans/conservatives in particular say that the media is biased - that is has a liberal slant. Then there is Fox News which has a noticeable conservative slant.

Certainly, news outlets would tend to hire reporters/readers that support their view so any slant would tend to be reinforced over time.

But why the bias to begin with? And if it's true that SO MANY news outlets tend to slant liberal vs. conservative ... why would that even be true? And if people truly don't agree with that slant, how do these news outlets keep going?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why would the media have a bias?

because many right wing blogs & wanna be reporters tell them so.

o

My opinion is that it's much like Hollywood--for decades, the power brokers in the media and Hollywood have been liberals, and if you want to succeed in those industries you do better if you are liberal.

By nature, with a more liberal slant, even more liberals become attracted to those industries.

If one is conservative, one keeps that to themselves much of the time if they want to keep their job or get promoted.

Recently, many actors and actresses have admitted they are conservatives, but have said that they have kept that quiet up until now because in the past, to admit that one is a conservative can be hinder one's career.

o

Agreed.
I'm disgusted with the Media bias.

I did some channel surfing after the debate last night.
I was amazed how Fox News was spinning the Presidents Rose Garden speech, and other video clips for their AGENDA. They never showed the full clip so people can see the REAL speech, which included Obama calling it "terror". Instead, they showed like 20 secs of nothing.

Another channel showed a more complete clip and you could see what EXACTLY the president said. There was a HUGE difference between the 2 clips that I saw. Based on that I know that FOX TV LIED...like Romney.

Being an Independent, I like to sample a lot of channels, because I like different perspectives (but not lies). I want a full picture and make my decision about WHO is telling the truth. Fox News is EXTREMLEY BIASED, and dirty. It reminds me of "suppressing the masses" from the real news in order to keep them Dumb and serving the top 1%.

Fox News is very happy if they can make their SLOGANS stick. The sad part is that MASSES of uneducated people love catchy slogans (because they don't understand THE BASIC CONCEPTS, or the big picture. Their little minds can take in very little), even if they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

Majority of Rep voters don't understand that they are being USED for the wealthy 1%. The Reps want to keep people dumb and subservient. There are too many people who could rise-the 99%, so they have to manipulate them through slogans and out of context video clips. Fox cuts off that video at precise moments where you don't get to hear the ENTIRE clip. The soundbites and slogans keep their followers happy... And to think Romeny wants to cut MORE education, as he did when he was a governor in Mass. Yup, keep them uneducated, manipulated and subservient, and dangle that carrot, that the MASSES, too, can become part of the 1%. Unfreekinbelieveable.

o

Posted by notto (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 10:14

Yup, keep them uneducated, manipulated and subservient, and dangle that carrot, that the MASSES, too, can become part of the 1%. Unfreekinbelieveable.

Oh, I disagree about that.

I don't think conservative voters care anything about being part of the 1%.

I think they just don't want to be counted among the able bodied losers that are totally dependent on the government that are included in the 47%.

o

I see your point demi, but really what KEEPS the media liberally slanted once it got that way? How is that able to self-perpetuate over time if not enough people truly support it?

It doesn't make sense. Once Fox News rose to prominence within conservative groups, why didn't another move in that direction to compete - especially if they truly felt that way?

o

Back to the 47% that are losers, especially the able-bodied ones and who are demanding support from the Federal government. Class warfare at its clearest.

o

I don't know, Esh.

There were obviously numerous liberal media outlets, and no conservative ones until Fox.

I think Fox does a good job of countering the liberal media outlets with a conservative lean, and since it does there just isn't a "market" for any others.

The numerous liberal outlets are smaller, some aren't doing well at all, and others compete with one another, as they've always done.

It seems to me the situation is pretty static.

I might add that liberal talk radio was a complete failure, and conservative talk radio is thriving.

That is very interesting to me.

o

I might add that liberal talk radio was a complete failure, and conservative talk radio is thriving.

Agreed, very interesting.

o

notto, I did the same thing after the debate, I watched it on MSNBC and I checked the other channels to see what they were saying.

It is a eye opener. Some want facts and some want to hear one side. That is fine if that is all you want. But it is not for me.

I do feel a lot of people want to think they are the 1% when in fact they are not. I guess dreaming is good whatever gets you up in the morning. I see it here often of trying to say things to appear they are part of that 1% but it is part of their dream.

I find it interesting that the Conservative south (red states) are the ones that are not where the majority 1% reside but support the 1% philosophy.

o

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 10:18

Posted by notto (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 10:14

Yup, keep them uneducated, manipulated and subservient, and dangle that carrot, that the MASSES, too, can become part of the 1%. Unfreekinbelieveable.

Oh, I disagree about that.

I don't think conservative voters care anything about being part of the 1%.

I think they just don't want to be counted among the able bodied losers that are totally dependent on the government that are included in the 47%.

I am willing to debate issues on this forum whether they slant right or left.....However, don't EVERuse this phrase:

"I think they just don't want to be counted among the able bodied losers that are totally dependent on the government that are included in the 47%."
------------------------------------

My uncle who is retired is a veteran and in the
47%. WE find your statement extremely OFFENSIVE!

More on loser 47% ABLE bodies, later....

He defended your a$$, so you could have a happy life. Now you have turned on him. Shame on you, and ALL the Reps who think like Demi....yeah, looking at Romney, too.

He voted for both parties, and for Reagan. AFter 1 term of Reaganomics he realized that it was a mistake. USA was going downhill faster than the speed of light. Reps always talk about the military. The truth is that NOW they want wars with outsourcing military mfg jobs, so the 1% get richer. Supply side economics, such as Reagonomics DOES NOT WORK. Trickle down does NOT work....

Back to the 47% able body losers. Many in the 47% vote Republican because their social issues trump economics. Dumb IS, as dumb does...It is more important for them to tell others that they CANNOT have birth control, because they don't believe in birth control according to their Religion. Ironically, most of these "religious" people NEVER paid into the system, and are carrying around multiple children, and are taking govt handouts...somehow Jesus will provide...snicker*

o

Continuing to call the 47% of the citizens that do not meet the income threshold to pay federal taxes "losers" is not something that plays well ... just ask Romney.

o

"somehow Jesus will provide..." And He does, doesn't He!

We just call it government handouts.

Maybe we should go back to those days when everyone sat back and waited on Jesus to provide.

o

Here's my take on the subject.

There's really no such thing as a Liberal media and never really was. Newspapers and other media were bought to influence their readers. And the people who bought them had monied interests. So we never read much positive about unions but wars were always pushed on us -unless an item was so popular or unpopular that it couldn't be ignored.

Then they would jump on a bandwagon and slant it. Reporters, on the other hand were out in the world, and generally were more liberal. So there was always that tension between the story and what came down from above to the editor's desk.

Early Hollywood was considered entertainment, and outside the influence business. So like some of today's comics, like "The Daily Show" they could occasionally get closer to the truth of matters. Consider a film like "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" from 1939- entertainment yes- but also closer to the truth than today's movies ever get.

o

"I see your point demi, but really what KEEPS the media liberally slanted once it got that way?"

Intolerance.

"How is that able to self-perpetuate over time if not enough people truly support it?"

It's not. Competition is eating away at the old media's influence. It used to be said that the media always had the last word. Those days are over. Americans can go online or view different cable news channels to do their own analysis of anything the MSM tells them. In addition, when an outlet omits information, it doesn't mean we're not going to find out about it, and find the omission itself instructive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Media distrust at all time high

o

I didn't call all 47% losers.

Pay attention, people and read!

"I am willing to debate issues on this forum whether they slant right or left.....However, don't EVERuse this phrase: "

Notto, I'll use whatever phrase I please.

I am as grateful to your uncle as I am to my uncle who DIED in WWII defending YOUR "$$$" as you say.

Anyone that is totally depending on the government that is able bodied falls in that category I spoke of.

If your uncle is able bodied, is totally dependent on government subsidies and has no savings, then he wasn't personally responsible, even if he did serve his country.

o

For the sake of my health I never watch Fox news. They are blatant distorters of the fact, editing soundbites to make their point. I watched MSNBC who by the way in the last debate said Obama flopped. Is that biased? No, they often criticize him. Then you have toe sucking prostitutes Dick Morris with his inflammatory remarks.Still getting even with the Clintons, is he?

Fox is geared to the non thinkers, the less intelligent of the population who will believe anything in front of them.

o

Media news is a business-they are in the business of selling ad time. In the olden days News was not expected to make money but that changed long ago. I specifically remember the Reagan Administration- and the so called teflon president-why was Ronald Reagan never called on his failled policies? Because the Media was not liberal and never was but was biased by its owners-business men who are in it to make a buck. Fox has discovered that there is gold in openly biased reporting. MSNBC came along to mine the other side. I personally consider them to be pikers compared to Fox who sets the standards because I am very liberal and they arent liberal enough for me. I dont hear any conservatives complaining about Fox being fair and balanced. Still all in all Cable news is only a small part of the news business-most people still look to the networks and the reporting there is thin and shoddy because news gathering is expensive and as I said it is a business.

I have been predicting that the Media would more or less turn on Obama after he was doing so well in the polls-they want and need a close race or no one will watch, and if we dont watch the news you cant sell ad time-hence all the nitpicking over Lybia or the jobless numbers. They will want this Debate to be a draw...watch for spin that way.

o

I didn't call all 47% losers.
Pay attention, people and read!

"I am willing to debate issues on this forum whether they slant right or left.....However, don't EVERuse this phrase: "

Notto, I'll use whatever phrase I please.

I am as grateful to your uncle as I am to my uncle who DIED in WWII defending YOUR "$$$" as you say.

Anyone that is totally depending on the government that is able bodied falls in that category I spoke of.

If your uncle is able bodied, is totally dependent on government subsidies and has no savings, then he wasn't personally responsible, even if he did serve his country
He IS retired, hence getting the ss and Medicare, Va.

Responsible? What?
As many veterans, the man was semi-disabled. Never collected a dime. He was educated, successful, worked hard providing for his family for years. He owned a SMALL business feeding his family. Reaganomincs came in. Jobs went out. LARGE companies swallowed the little guy.

But enough about him. He does NOT want your sympathy, or thank you. People like you make him sick. He cannot believe how his country got hijacked over the years. It's all about GREED.

o

Republicans/conservatives in particular say that the media is biased - that is has a liberal slant.

It's a whole mindset. Distrust of the media, distrust of government, being overwhelmed by darker-skinned people. It really is a personality disorder more than anything else.

Actually I'm kind of that way when it comes to religion.

-Ron-

o

"Republicans/conservatives in particular say that the media is biased - that is has a liberal slant."

Democrats get more time to speak than Republicans, with fewer interruptions, and the moderators are always liberals. Conservatives know what "everybody gets a shot" really looks like. It's cheap talk, nothing more.

Special treatment for the left. Screw everybody else. Business as usual.

o

Well maybe the conservatives should organize a debate instead of the liberal media handle it all.

o

Call the waaaaaaahhhmbulance.

o

"Well maybe the conservatives should organize a debate instead of the liberal media handle it all."

The debates don't "belong" to either party. The privilege of moderating shouldn't either. Three debates, three moderators, and three redisributions of Republican time to Democrats. The fair thing would be to restore the time unfairly taken back to the Republican side. Getting the short end of the stick three times in a row is a pattern.

o

I think you know what you need to do.

o

If anyone wanted to see the truth about the Rose Garden speech then all you had to do was tune into CNN when Candy herself apologized and said "Romney was right", that the president didn't admit this was a terror attack for many, many days. Him and his staff went on show after show claiming it was a spontaneous attack due to a video. This blatant lie is what it is and you can spin it anyway you want, it is what it is and all the video is there, date stamped to prove it. If you did watch Fox news regularly you would actually get the facts straight instead of listening to MSNBC and Current tear apart people instead of actually reporting the news.

Bias is an understatement. The news media today is doing the public a great disservice. I feel like I'm living in Russia. Like Romney said last night in his joke "His job right now is to go around campaigning and tell the public about his economic plan and the media's job is to make sure no one hears about it." No truer words have been spoken. I receive e mails everyday from an organization that follows and times the news stories being reported on all the liberal networks and the bias and slant are disgraceful, to say the least.

o

Dramatics aside (my guess is GGM has never been to Russia) if you have a problem with US media then try expanding your horizons beyond the MSM, Fox or WND. There are other sources out there. Find them and read. You have easy access via the internet so use it.

o

Except Crowley did not. In fact she did the opposite.

Which proves the point in case.

o

When Mitt Romney walked down the aisle toward the stage Thursday night, among the people whose hands he shook was the conservative billionaire and major political donor David Koch. But it was a moment missed by the tens of millions of viewers at home. While Democracy Now! was there on the floor and captured the handshake on video, the networks cut away just before the handshake to show footage of two enthusiastic young women supporters and then an overhead shot of the convention center. Then, the shot came back to Romney shaking hands further down the aisle as he ascended the stage. Groups in the network of David Koch, and his brother Charles, intend to spend nearly $400 million ahead of the 2012 election.

As to why the need to censor this...who owns these networks again?

Here is a link that might be useful: Video Footage.

o

Thanks, Maddie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here