Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pro-Life Congressman

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 9:56

Call Reveals Pro-Life Congressman Pressured Mistress to Get Abortion.

Neetzan Zimmerman

Transcripts from a 2000 phone call now-congressman Scott DesJarlais (R-TN) made to his then-mistress show the pro-life, tea-party lawmaker pressured the woman to get an abortion in an effort to save his failing marriage.

The Huffington Post says it sent a copy of the damning transcript to Rep. DesJarlais, and he confirmed their veracity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zimmerman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pro-Life Congressman

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 10:12

Well, sort of pro-life, when it's convenient.

What would he have done if abortion was illegal? Backroom hack, coathanger?

Wasn't it Sarah Palin who said she "decided not to have an abortion" when she found out her son had Down Syndrome, yet she wants to take that choice away from other women.

What hypocrites.

o

Marquest, I think you accidentally attached the wrong link. But no matter... we can as easily look up the proper story.

And after doing so, it appears that this Republican representative is just as much a snake in the grass as all the others who state one position, but have a closet filled with opposing skeletons.

If you're going to run on a platform of "family values" and "pro-life", then you should be that person who values family and life.

But this snake in the grass crawled even lower, violating a doctor/patient relationship and making it into a sexual one. As the professional, one would think he had an obligation to "just say no", and as a representative of the people and a self-proclaimed pro-life family man, he had a moral obligation in that vein, as well.

It never ceases to amaze me how low some of these elected officials will crawl. It disgusts me. This is not a man I'd want representing me or my family.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Sordid Details...

o

This will be another CRICKETS POST!

o

His ad was on tv this morning and I thought to myself, HE-double hockey sticks, I aint voting for you! You've given me yet another reason to vote against him.

o

Thanks Jodik.

o

No problem, Marquest. Not pointing out a mistake... just trying to help, allowing for easier access to the story. :-)

You know, if this guy didn't stand on the platform he did, it wouldn't seem so horrid from a political slant. But these guys seem to want to get caught, they leave so much evidence laying around alluding to their duplicity. It's almost comical.

You can't publicly state that you oppose abortion and uphold the traditional family... and then get caught red handed with a pregnant mistress whom you are pressuring to get an abortion! What's wrong with that picture?!

The lying and duplicity of the Republican party is really just too much... and you're right, Joe... this will be another snooze thread of denial.

o

The lying and duplicity of the Republican party is really just too much

Exactly! The lying is what makes it wrong. What two consenting adults do in their life is fine with me. It is when you know in your heart that you do not feel it should apply to you but you want to invade my privacy and deny me my choice then we have a problem.

But the Republican party and its supporters seem to have cut their teeth on lies instead of a pacifier as children. They accept it to easily not to have been a way of life for them.

Liberals do not seem to have a problem discussing a topic we do not agree. Conservative will run from a topic and hide their heads. They cannot defend lies. Is it because it is what they know and accept?

o

I saw this story yesterday (or was it this morning?).

It is really just amazing. So, what do they really think? They really don't want abortion made illegal because then what will they do when their mistresses get pregnant? They just want to say they want it made illegal because...what? That's what the party wants them to say?

Family values my arse!

I told my DH about this story and he had a very interesting take. He said that these men don't want to take away a man's right to choose. They want to be able to tell their mistress to get an abortion. But, they are against a woman's right to choose. They don't want woman making that decision. Very interesting!

o

Mr. Jill figured it out. That's it exactly.

o

I think Mr. Jill is on to something there.

o

But Jill I do not understand why we have women that do not have a problem with giving the men the right to dictate their right.

Are women so weak minded that they feel they are not capable of making a decision? We have some women that support this concept. What is their problem? Are they so insecure that they feel they could not find their way out of their closet without the man telling them to turn around and walk out?

o

The marriage failed, the divorce is final -- no problem with admitting the affair now.

But it's old news!

o

Mr. J take on it makes me understand the money numbers more. Have you seen the contribution numbers for gender on Romney versus Obama? I found it highly interesting, but I see a theory coming through. Ok, so the numbers are

Obama
45% women
55% men

Romney
29% women
71% men

I will agree with Mr. J and say it's just like the stupid blue laws here in the bible belt. Alcohol is illegal on Sundays. Unless, of course, you're stopping at the local restaurant on the way home after church. Do as I say, not as I do at the pinnacle. It doesn't matter if it's abortion or liquor. Sheesh!

Here is a link that might be useful: gender demographics on Open Secrets

o

Your husband is most likely right, Jill. It's not about the woman's right. She doesn't matter. It's about men maintaining the right to make all the decisions, because some don't feel women are capable.

It's old news that women are just as intelligent, and just as capable and able as men. We already burned our bras and marched.

It's the ignorance of a select mindset that women are the weaker sex, unable to comport themselves, so not deserving of any rights. Totally backward, and balanced on the apex of a dying religious thought.

Men are just afraid because we also hold the ability to reproduce, and aside from a mating, don't really need them.

o

But Jill I do not understand why we have women that do not have a problem with giving the men the right to dictate their right.

With some, it's Stockholm Syndrome. However, there are also those who willingly participate, many of those clearly have an inherited mean streak. Good Wehrmacht material.

o

jill, your husband is very insightful. Makes sense--a moment when things "click" into place.

I imagine that the women who go along with the man making all the decisions were raised in the tradition of the man is the head of the household and therefore the main decision-maker--as taught in many fundamentalist Christian churches (and some other Christian churches, now that I think of it).

I once mentioned in an earlier thread that that stats show that self-identified fundamentalist/"pro-life" women get abortions at about the same rate as other American women (including those sinful "secular humanists"). You should have seen the outraged posts that followed mine. They just would not believe the stats.

A heavy dose of denial can mask a lot of hypocrisy, can't it!

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here