Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CDC says one new death

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 10:13

I have not had treatments in 3 years but was going back for treatment because I was having more back/spinal pain again. I was busy getting people registered to vote and did not get to the doctor to get the shots. I am now happy I did not have the time.

This is something we should all look at when we hear our politician say we need less regulations.

CDC says one new death from meningitis; number of cases at 197

(Reuters) - Another person has died from fungal meningitis linked to possibly tainted vials of a steroid medication, bringing the death toll in an unprecedented outbreak to 15, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Saturday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steroid Medication

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CDC says one new death

We've all been warned about buying drugs that cost less from foreign countries but this shows once again that the threat can come from much closer to home.

Having fewer regulations and harking back to simpler times when we weren't being "controlled" by the government makes for nice sound bites, but the truth is that we live in an infinitely more complex world than our forefathers could ever have thought of, and this is one area where tight regulation is literally a matter of life and death.

o

The epicenter of it is one block from my house. It's very scary. Especially since my mom received an epidural block within the timeframe. Admittedly, at another hospital here in Nashville. But, you know, we can't stop all things from happening. The government can't monitor everything all the time. Something will still sneak past. It's not up the government. It's up to the group monitoring the medications which were compounded. Pharmacists have taken the hippocratic oath and are very aware of saving lives.

o

Comments on how funding from the Affordable Healthcare Act helped in this case:

Lastly, transparency and public reporting of infections from hospitals and outpatient settings is necessary to reduce infection rates. For example, in 2008 after Tennessee's legislature mandated that hospital infections due to central lines (catheters that go into the patients' veins) be publicly reported, we experienced a nearly 40 percent drop in our central line infection rates in intensive care units. State legislatures around the country can demand public reporting of other health-care setting infections.

Recently, much of the upgrade at the state health departments has been possible due to the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, which allocated $270 million for public health infrastructure training as well as research and tracking.

We worked with the Tennessee Department of Health, which has received part of this funding over the past two years, and believe it has undoubtedly strengthened Tennessee's infection control infrastructure and allowed for a rapid and meticulous response to this fungal meningitis outbreak. Unfortunately, such support for state health departments is often inaccurately called a "slush fund," and is at risk of being cut.

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

o

I have had injections in both knees, right shoulder and right wrist recently but my VA is not on the list of facilities that it was shipped to. There are a bunch, hope all are safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: list

o

Rob sort of unrelated but before I retired I saw a different workforce than I worked with when I begun my career.

Pride in your work was first and second to none had eroded drastically. I attributed that to corporation employee treatment. The loyalty swing....the company did not care so employee did not care,

Education. College Bachelor degree is the new HS diploma. HS education is so dumb down that college has become the necessary level to perform the lowest of job performance.

Greed of corporations make them cut more corners for maximum profit and put ahead of safety.

When you couple Education, Greed, Employee Pride together and less oversight (what's to make me attitude) this is the results.

I can say I am happy I am on the end of my life and not beginning. Less government, greed, I can see a lot more of sitting down to the table and seeing News at 11 you just ate cow poo poo hamburger because of the cleanliness and rush to market for profit. All because of "Who needs health inspectors" The country needs more money. The love of money will be the death of the country.

o

This is directly related to the fact that compounding pharmacies or companies are not held to any standards or under the jurisdiction of the FDA like larger pharmaceutical corporations are.

We discussed this issue in another thread, and this is a case where the moment this meningitis was traced back to a specific compounding house and batch of prepared injectable steroids, everyone who received part of that batch should have been immediately notified so they could pull any remaining steroids from stock, and notify any patients that may be affected.

If compounding houses were under the jurisdiction of the FDA, this might not have happened. They would be held to certain rigorous standards and made to follow stricter quality controls for public safety.

It should be noted at an oath taken, the Hippocratic Oath, only means so much to certain people. To those who are morally bankrupt and view lying and cheating and stealing as normal, necessary business practices in the race to attain material wealth, that oath might as well be written on a bar napkin... it's meaningless.

When it comes to quality control, there IS such a thing as 100% accuracy or quality. It's very dependent upon the personal values and work ethic of those who handle the product and those who make decisions regarding such products. When the public is at the receiving end of such products, maintaining a higher standard should be automatic... a company should care more for its reputation and the safety of its customers than its bottom line in stockholder happiness.

This could have been avoided.

o

I work in the hospital world and I see them from every timeframe-from Residents to quite learned MDs. They all care deeply for patients here. It's not up the government to teach these people; it's up the world of academia. Nor is corporation greed interferring. Pharma is likely a different world, but even the MDs an PharmDs I know, are quite ethical. I'm not in the workroom of the compounders, but I can't say that sh-t won't happen even in the face of high morals. Things happen even in the most scrutinzed world. Compounders have medical school training, not Bachelors.

o

Things happen even in the most scrutinzed world. Compounders have medical school training, not Bachelors.

I was not referring specifically a Bachelors needed for this particularly incident but as a total workforce in general.

In college my daughter worked part time in a on campus cancer research lab. A serious incident happened due to a cleaning crew that was trained specifically for cleaning this lab. The incident infected several lab techs. After investigation the hiring education level was changed to a Bachelor degree. Can you imagine to clean HS previous Edc. requirement was not sufficient.

I saw some serious issues with hospitals sitting by my mothers bedside for a year from 7am until 8pm for 8 months. I cannot tell you how many times I told the nurses to go wash their hands. The worst was one nurse that put on gloves scratched her head and then her butt and reached for the needle to check my mother's blood sugar level and insulin shot.

o

Six years ago, DH had a triple bypass and, as a result of the hospital not putting a dressing over the incision (they said he would heal faster without one), he got MRSA. He was hospitalized (different hospital) several times and had five surgeries. I kept track of what happened to him, on a daily basis, and have seven typewritten, single-spaced pages which are a horror story.

One of things that happened - he was, of course, in a private room, there was a sign on the door that he had MRSA and all the equipment (blood pressure monitoring, etc.) was in his room. A technician came in to take his BP and pushed a cart with the equipment into his room (totally overlooking the sign). Before she could put the cuff on, he asked her if she was aware that he had MRSA and told her he had the equipment for taking his BP right next to his bed. She could have spread MRSA so easily to other patients had he not been alert and told her.

It's not just the technicians and nurses, it's the doctors, also. As a friend of mine (married to a doctor) says, "What's the difference between God and a doctor? God doesn't think he's a doctor." At least, that's the attitude of the cardiac surgeon who attended DH for the MRSA. You couldn't tell him anything - well, I did. And, it's in DH's chart.

o

but mar, we were talking about prescription drugs. That is one field which is scrutinzed upside down, backwards, inside out... and it still happened. And it would with even more scrutiny. Humans make errors. Including government people. We don't need them watching or putting any more constraints on it. It's sh-tty anything has happened, but it can't be undone, nor can the next horrible thing be predicted. What I wouldn't give for that magic wand/psychic ability. Not even the best hospitals are error free. I would feel this way even if it was another industry, incidentally. Remember, this outbreak affected my city the deepest. Not in my hospital, but in a good hospital. And it really could've been my mom. But it was an out-of-state drug maker. Now if you wanna rag on hospitals, have at it! It could be telecommunication companies who screw up or food industry (so many chances there!) it's just that it's hospitals this time.

o

• Posted by ENMc none (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 15:22

The feds have just issued this warning

Federal health officials said today that people should be warned who got any injectable drugs -- not just steroid injections -- made by a Framingham facility at the center of a meningitis outbreak.

That is an email alert from the Boston Globe.

And, there is more to this story... compounding is supposed to be used by individuals not by huge corporations. There is no oversight.. guess which party is heavily lobbying for the compounding industry right now?

Compounding is supposed to work like a pharmacy....your Doc writes you a script... the type the needs to be compounded. You take it to pharmacy.. they fill it. They are not supposed to be compounding in bulk. The whole point of compound drugs is because they are not used as often or are used in unique ways, etc. therefore made by the prescription.

Scott Brown (running for reelection to the US Senate against Elizabeth Warren) has been going to bat for this Massachusetts company.. as soon as this got more attention he has since donated, to charity, the campaign donations he received from this company.

The only time I have ever been to a compounding pharmacy was when my aunt was dying of cancer.. some drug. And for a very sick bunny rabbit. Vets use them quite often, I'm told.

Anyway, as you can imagine.. this company and all the other compounding firms would like things to stay unregulated.. just the way they have been. I hope they don't get away with it. They are already using fear tactics to win favorable approval. Such as, "better that the drugs go from the compounding firms (which are not the same as the pharmacies) and will have no effect on pharmacy making up compounded meds for single users/patients like they have been) directly to the hospitals rather than directly to private patients where they could be abused or sold..... ya know, the usual bullsh*t. People that need these compounded drugs need them and can only get them in one place. I remember how far out of the way I had to go to get that liquid med for my sick bunny.

E

o

Now if you wanna rag on hospitals, have at it! It could be telecommunication companies who screw up or food industry (so many chances there!) it's just that it's hospitals this time.

Rob don't get upset I agreed, I think that mistakes will happen in every industry, hospital, driving around the corner.

This incident is not hospitals it is a industry with no oversight that put people's lives in danger, I just do not think it would have been to this magnitude if they had oversight.

o

upset? huh? Nope not upset

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here