Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unemployment hits 7.8%

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 11:53

the lowest since early 2009. Lets see how the Romney crowd spins this. Slowly steadily it improves. The Righies have had their high for the campaign. It was a short sweet one day of gloating. Now we're really going to bring it on. The troops are energized.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unemployment hits 7.8%

If it hit 3 it wouldn't matter the presidents lazy that's all & stooopid. The ass wipe said so!

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 12:25

Ummmm... these are facts (which it has been determined do not matter) and I believe some math (which nobody cares about) is involved. Big yawn.

o

If it had remained the same or gone up, Romney and crowd would've been screaming bloody murder, but I heard on FOX radio that Mitt said many are still jobless and started citing examples of a woman trying to find work since January. Pathetic pandering. It IS positive and will negate Obama's OFF appearance at the debate. But it was a strategy to not let a quick minute response to the 47% comment but let him explain it to Fox and then let the DEMs pounce calling him a damn liar. He is not a flipper, he's a liar who will say what it takes to win. .

o

An alternative measure of unemployment (labeled U6) counts part-time workers who want full-time jobs and some but not all Americans who want jobs but have stopping looking for one. The number of part-timers who want full-time jobs rose from 8 million to 8.6 million in September. That rate remained at 14.7 percent. Add together unemployed workers, underemployed workers and Americans who are not included in the work force but say they want a job, and the total unemployed and underemployed population remained at 27.4 million Americans.

And gee 114,000 new government jobs were added in September. Wonder who pays those salaries.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

You know... I still don't recall hearing how Romney intends to help all the jobless...

o

"And gee 114,000 new government jobs were added in September. Wonder who pays those salaries."

Mrs, your facts are slightly off....from your own attachment.

"The economy created 104,000 new seasonally adjusted private jobs in September. Governments at all levels added 10,000 new jobs, for a net gain of 114,000. "

The government added 10,000 jobs and I'm betting a lot were teachers given this is the September report.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 12:43

Alternative definitions? When did we start using alternative definitions? Wasn't Romny using alternative definitions of reality the other night? Alternative policy positions? Alternative math? Maybe it's catching. Sounds romneyesque for squirming.

o

Now they want alternate measures. None of those measures were of any importance until?????

This is my spin from what Republicans have taught me.

47% of the people you all know do not want to work. They all collect Unemployment as long as they can. They do not want to work they want the government to take care of them.

So I think the Unemployment is lower than 7.8% because of all the people Republicans know that do not want to work. I do not know any of those people but the Teabggers on HT know a lot of them even their family members.

o

Ha ha ha!!!! OMG, this is just hysterical.

They are saying Obama manipulated the numbers.

Ha ha ha!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Funny!

o

OMG,OMG, Obama has won the election!

o

I didn't realize that Jack Welch was so racist. How pathetic he is.

o

"In fact, when Labor Secretary Hilda Solis appeared on CNBC this morning, the first two questions for her were whether the books have been cooked:

Solis called the charges insulting and "ludicrous."

Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a former economics adviser to John McCain and the former head the Congressional Budget Office, calls the numbers "implausible."

"Sept. unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent due to an extraordinary � but implausible � estimate of 873,000 #jobs in household survey," said Holtz-Eakin on Twitter.

"The report presented a slew of contradictory data points, with the total employment level soaring despite the low net number," said CNBC's Jeff Cox.

The Washington Post's Neil Irwin adds, "Weird that payrolls are exactly on forecast but household survey is far better."

And the Wall Street Journal warns that these numbers should be taken "with a grain of salt."

Oh my....how desperate.......Res Ipsa Loquitur..........

Here is a link that might be useful: Heres your salt

o

Oh my....how desperate

Yes, how desperate are the GOP to come up with a conspiracy idea because the results aren't what they wanted them to be.

Because the results don't help out Romney.

Because it puts a crimp in their plans to elect such a flawed candidate for president.

Because, Because, Because, they just aren't capable of accepting the facts. The economy is improving, unemployment is down, and that just doesn't fall into the plans of the GOP.

o

If the President is capable of skewing the numbers he probably should have thought about doing that awhile ago.....what nonsense!

o

• Posted by ENMc none (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 17:12

OMG! The irony and balls, sheer balls, of someone like Jack Welch to comment on anything in regard to ADDING jobs. He has spent his whole life cutting and gutting jobs and companies!

And when he wasn't doing that he was moving them to China.

E

o

Yeah, why'd he wait so long? A really crafty person would have conjured up something truly arcane... maybe going back to 1953 with its average unemployment rate of 2.93%.

That'd look mighty good on a list of accomplishments.

o

The response is typical from conservatives.

I don't think this current uptick of numbers means anything at all. The holidays are coming, people are getting part time jobs that may or may not turn into full time jobs after the holidays.

It's possible that next month the number will be back to the slight increase it currently vacated.

I think it's meaningless.

Conservatives think otherwise.

As Nic used to respond, and Demi enjoyed the use of a couple of times - and a response I've become rather fond of myself:

Well............Boo-frickety-hoo.

o

Glad you enjoy Boo Frickety Hoo.

Give credit to my older daughter.

I'm not surprised--I totally expected this "statistic."

o

So when the number is improved, it is suspicious. When it is bad, then it is real.

Gotcha.

o

Demi: Really? You expected it? Not me; I figured it would be 7.9%.

Remember that movie "Trading Places" where they switched the briefcases containing the orange crop report? That scene seems as credible to me as this "jobs report" does.

;D

o

You know they always revise these reports...this one will probably be revised right after the election lol.

o

Like Romney's taxes will be revised after the election! LOL

o

"Whenever a new set of jobs numbers is announced, it is important to keep in mind just how noisy the data can be.

Forecasts of the monthly growth in nonfarm payrolls miss by 68,000 jobs on average. That means that the margin of error on the forecasts, enough to cover 95 percent of all possible outcomes, is wider still: plus or minus about 170,000 jobs.

This is not merely because economic forecasting is difficult. It is also because the economy is a hard thing to measure, and the initial estimates of jobs growth are crude. On average, the initial monthly jobs numbers are eventually revised upward or downward by 70,000 jobs.

Nor do the monthly revisions necessarily cancel out. Instead, whole seasons, and indeed whole years, can sometimes be revised.

Last month, for instance, the government estimated that 386,000 more jobs than it had originally reported were created between April 2011 and March 2012, or about 32,000 per month. These estimates will be refined and officially incorporated into the numbers, when the government announces its benchmark revisions to the labor numbers on Feb. 1, 2013.

Thus, the threshold for what counts as an economically and politically significant jobs report ought to be fairly high. Not every month's report can or should be a "game-changer." Indeed, the public has often reacted more calmly to both good and bad monthly jobs reports than the political cognoscenti do.

Was Friday's jobs report, which showed 114,000 jobs added in September and the unemployment rate dropping to 7.8 percent, strong enough to be one of the exceptional cases?

My view is that the answer is yes: this report really does warrant some attention.

The reported payrolls growth figure for September, 114,000 jobs, was incredibly close to consensus forecasts of about 115,000 jobs added. But everything else about the report considerably beat expectations. Jobs figures were revised upward by 40,000 in July, and by 46,000 in August. Combined with the jobs growth in September, that means the economy added 200,000 more jobs than we thought previously.

The unemployment rate is calculated through a separate survey - one of households rather than business establishments. The data from the household survey tends to be even noisier than that from the establishment survey.

But unlike last month, when a decline in the unemployment rate was caused by the exit of workers from the labor force, the household survey also reflected genuinely good news in September. According to that survey, 413,000 workers joined the labor force in September. But 873,000 more people became employed, causing the unemployment rate to fall to 7.8 percent.

If the September numbers resulted in part from statistical variance, it is certainly possible that there will be some payback in the October report, which will be released the Friday before the Nov. 6 election.

But it is also possible that the strength shown in the government's report on Friday reflects it playing catch up. The firm ADP, which tracks private-sector payrolls, had reported that an average of 170,000 private-sector jobs had been created each month so far this year. The ADP reports are much maligned because they do not always match the government's payroll figures over the short run. But in the long run, the numbers tend to converge.

Furthermore, there has been a fairly consistent pattern of upward revisions to the government's jobs reports recently.

The jobs numbers are certainly not enough to change the basic story of a slow economic recovery, and it will take many years for the economy to get back to full employment.

However, the jobs numbers are one of the more hopeful signs for the economy on balance. An average of 146,000 jobs have been created per month over the past year, or closer to 157,000 with the government's anticipated benchmark revisions accounted for. " snip end quote

At the link is a chart showing the revisions over time. They pretty much balance out. I think we can all agree that its good news for the economy.

And if you want, you can give credit to the tea party and their refusal to do anything that Obama suggests, proving that we should elect more republicans.

Here is a link that might be useful: 538 blog

o

That bad figures were good enough till yesterday HUH?
Turdish logic & reasoning!

o

How the jobs report is compiled.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

Idiots don't care how the figures a compiled they are snug with there conspiracy. Aren't they supposed to be saying that maintaining the Bush tax cuts produced this. Which is it?
If you note Romney's taking the high road on this as statistics state that jobs are supposed to continue to increase. Romney was a little miffed that Virginia & Florida Governors were touting their job improvement pictures a few months back, Any moron who can't remember this deserves their own delusions. Bunch of morons!

The hatred is so thick if the president came up with a cure for cancer the same crap heads would wan't him tried for practicing medicine without a license!

o

That's not true. I'd be happy he found his calling and encourage that he continue with that in lieu of trying to be our president.

o

That's all they have, joe. It makes them feel better.

o

IDIOTS don't watch continued jobs reports for month after month and watch a 10th of a percentage drop or rise here or there & then go bat zhit nuts over 3 tenths of a percent in 1 month!
Inch by inch it was creeping up & adjusted month to month so for 3 tenths of a percentage point morons are carrying on like what just, like waht?
The only benchmark was a REPUBLICAN ONE !
Big freaking deal!

THAT GRAPH IS MEASURED IN TENTHS STUPIDEST CRAP I'VE EVER HEARD !

o

They were "happy" when it went up in May, June, July. Not so happy that it went down.

What patriots. Not.

o

bunch cretins!

o

"Bunch" cretins! I hear they're the worst kind--God help us all.

o

I just can't get over the gnashing of teeth by conservatives. I get that they are terribly disappointed that their predictions four years ago about how Americans would "take our country back" haven't panned out as well as can be expected and even if Romney wins it won't be by that landslide we kept hearing about with great glee for the last four years, over and over ad nauseum -
- but when there is good economic news, possible job growth for their fellow Americans, why - conservatives are furious! Not feeling so confidently gleeful lately, are you?

Just flat, unreasonably furious, to the point that they will accuse the White House of fiddling with numbers which they dont even get their hands on (as assured and confirmed by a conservative expert!) until those numbers have been complied and settled by a separate agency.
Furious! Blindingly, bitterly furious that there might be good news for job seekers of the United States Of America. Good news for them, bad bad news for you all in here.
For shame.
Furious that our country appears to be getting in better shape with each passing month, just as we have been saying it was. Not as quickly as anyone would have liked, but you know how it is when conservative boys with toys get into power. They tend to leave a big fat mess, especially when they have you conservative cheer leaders on the side urging them on. It ends up taking awhile to do the clean up.
How very self-rightiously selfish that one would actually hope and yes, perhaps PRAY - for poor job numbers for their fellow American citizens - all in order to win for someone such as this man - Romney - the election. A man none of you would have chosen had you had a magical chance to name your own. A man one or two in here labeled a RINO (something I don't understand about you nuts, you will insult someone who votes the way you want them to? No WONDER you people are in such sorry shape!)

But to be furious that the numbers reflect that America is recovering, that jobs are coming forth for those out of a job, that the 47% (your guy's numbers!) that so many of you referred to for the last three and a half years I've been in this forum with such great distain, that now some of them are lucky enough and DO have those jobs you kept telling them to work - and you are angry?? Because now it's BAD news for your own personal wishes??
How very, very unpatriotic. What pathetic "real" Americans you all are.

How awful it must be to actually spend four years wishing and perhaps even PRAYING to your Christian God (in God you trust, remember - the same God who is supposed to be (but maybe actually isn't after all) on your side? -
- praying that your own countrymen and women to be WORSE off, suffer longer at the end of the President's term - rather than to be better off, all so each one of you can smirk with the idea that you "won"?.

You, who are lucky enough to NOT have to worry about those job numbers, will hope and yes, some will actually PRAY that the jobs numbers remain poor for purely SELFISH, narcissistic, egotistical reasons?

You would actually wish this on your fellow Americans? On your neighbors. On your childen and their children. On your own country No wonder the world looks upon us with such disgust.

Shame on you.

All for the sake that this particular scary Obama man loses, NO MATTER WHAT, as a couple of you have repeatedly stated. Shame on you.
What awful, unpatriotic and unamerican citizens you all are.
Shame on every single one of you who have had the ignorance as to dare complain publically - in front of a whole world who reads this forum - about the possible GOOD NEWS that some of your own fellow Americans have found work to support themselves and their family. To be tax paying citizens again, as you have so very bitterly complained that they have not been.

Shame on you.
And yet, I understand completely that rather than any oz. of shame, you all will be proud and will justify your behavior, nod at each other with assurances that of course you are GOOD Christian people.
Because Jesus loves you, this you know!
I've had three and a half years to grasp that it's just who you are. Three and a half shocking, eye opening years.

Shame on you.

o

Excuse me? You're the one who sounds insecure and well, furious.

o

Point stands ignore the data!

o

Yes, Elvis (<-- Elvis, our self professed forum birther!) I did mean that I a a bitter and ashamed American because -

= certainly YOU, among other conservativesNOTrepublicans SHOULD be ashamed - I repeat - ashamed - for resenting your fellow Americans the opportunity of a job and that - if these numbers are actually correct and continue in the trend for another month or year - that you and those of your political bent here in H.T. will have wished they remain unemployed until at the very least, the second month after Romney was in power.

You are, in fact, the perfect example of who I was referring who would be, while maintaining a perfect birther status - to be unpatriotic, unamerican and unashamed in your wish for a Presidential failure on all your fellow Americans who are not as fortunate as are you and I and yours and theirs to be employed or financially stable despite your unemployment.

By all you have stated since your joining this forum, you have presented yourself to be the very face of that shame I refer to.

But rest assured, I remain fully aware that not one ounce of shame will you or those politically like you in H.T. EVER manage to dredge up due to your wishes and desires of Presidential failure and the results of such suffered upon your own fellow Americans.

Not one ounce. You and yours here in this forum prove that to me with almost every response or subject posting you all have ever made.

Not one ounce.

For shame.

o

You're right about one thing and one thing only, Mylab. I am totally unashamed of anything I've said on HT. Mildly embarrassed for a remark here or there, absolutely; but ashamed? Nope.

You sound very righteous and downright pure. Good for you. No paragraph about good Christians, hypocrites, and the like?

The night is young; I say go for it. I'll read it--promise.

o

Delusional lies and accusations about other posters with no basis in fact.

On and on and on.

Quite troubling, actually.

Oh well.

o

I am tearing up for the hardships faced by some of the posters here.

o

IDIOTS don't watch continued jobs reports for month after month and watch a 10th of a percentage drop or rise here or there & then go bat zhit nuts over 3 tenths of a percent in 1 month!

Some posters show time and time again they are unable to connect the dots even when the facts are laid out and/or hand-fed to them and of course, there are those that post this nonsense just for the attention.

o

Was that a rant from Mylab.

Mylab, don't get yourself so worked up.

Obama is not your best friend nor your brother.
He is not worth losing your religion over.

I don't think he would come to your defense with near the loyality you give to him.

He is not worth the rant. Get a grip .

o

Tread carefully, CW.

o

mylab. I agree with all you said. My hate is getting palatable.. It never was like this before. The GOP is turning this country into a bitter nasty place I don't even recognize. I was at the gym after a late dinner out and watching a show on ABC when I caught FOX and Rove's fat ugly face on the screen beside mine, and the number 14% big across the screen. Since I have not heard one word out of nutball Hannity's mouth in four years ,I just saw the close captioned remarks. Actually the bull sh!t was that Obama manipulated the figures and blah blah and the sheeple swallowed it hook, line and sinker. Sometimes when the wingnuts come here I wonder if they made this crap up. Now I know they get their talking points from their GOD..Faux News.

Imagine any caring person (like the conservative Christians) wishing for a bad jobs number just to hype their clueless candidate. They probably pray to their God to cause a terrorist attack or ANYTHING to try to put the blame on Obama. I am ashamed of living in a culture of hate.

o

Forum history 136,000 die from lack of health care crickets, even a few posts trying to refute people going bankrupt because of lack of insurance. The lame personal responsibility mantra.
5 dead in Benghazi it's the gotcha moment of the century the glee was palpable!

o

I know why it is!!! Its because businesses have realized that all those MSM polls are lying and that Romney is going to win the election, therefore they're hiring again!!!!

o

"quote"
Mylab = truth!

Blind dissenters = mosquitoes

o

Sigh...The True Believers try to restore their idol's perfection when it is discovered his debate performance is imperfect by rejoicing over a possibly flawed report number that is subject to revision and by attempting to bully an old man into forsaking his Tweet. How sad for you that the only change he would contemplate was about a missing question mark.

Now the really ugly insults are flying, but the math really is screwy. It makes no sense at all, but since it seems to support your idol you will refuse to admit that until and probably after the end of this election. Rage away, it doesn't change the truth.

My opinion from 4 years ago stands. He has never, at best, had anything but golden words without substance to offer. Your hysterics don't change that sad truth. The recently released videos seem to make even those words into lies though. The tragic thing is that he just may manage to destroy the country if he is re-elected. He has made a good start and you are all such good little sycophants to applaud him.

Anyone but Obama, please. Romney could not possibly do worse.

o

Prior to '08, unemployment was in the 4-6% range (most notably '07 which was in the mid to upper 4's), post '08 in the 5 to just about 10% range.

And just why are we rejoicing?

o

30 year fixed rate mortgages are at 3.50% and inventory is very good, yet the housing market has been slow to just missing steady.

A 5 year IRA CD is paying <1.50% and gas cost me almost 4 bucks a gallon this morning. Heating oil is the same price - it's doubled in the last 4 years.

I'm not sure how much longer we (personally) can hold on at this rate.

Someone, please tell me why I should be rejoicing.

o

Posted by sleeplessinftwayne z4-5 IND (My Page) on Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 12:10

Anyone but Obama, please. Romney could not possibly do worse.

Ummm, but "which" Romney are you talking about?

There are so many faces of Romney that I cannot tell them ALL apart.

He was channeling "SYBIL" during the debate. Having said that, I'm not sure which Romeny will run the country....OR will he be consistently INCONSISTENT? Too scary for me.

***I am seeing slow upticks around me. This 60 yo who I work with got a call from an employment agency for the first time in 2 years.

There are construction contracts in the works (approved & SIGNED). This will employ a lot of people. When the buildings are built, professional people will have jobs. So this is not an empty promise, but a def promising employment.

o

In fairness, all blame does not belong on Obama's lap. My point is though, you have millions of 40, 50, 60 year olds, who should be in the prime of their earning/saving/investing years.

Downsizing or selling has become impractical because of the housing market, saving is difficult because of pricing spikes and the employment situation and investments are paying next to nothing. I predict we will be seeing a huge increase in the number of people working into their 70 and 80s, further battering the unemployment numbers.

o

Posted by lavenderlver none (My Page) on Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 13:16

In fairness, all blame does not belong on Obama's lap. My point is though, you have millions of 40, 50, 60 year olds, who should be in the prime of their earning/saving/investing years.
Downsizing or selling has become impractical because of the housing market, saving is difficult because of pricing spikes and the employment situation and investments are paying next to nothing. I predict we will be seeing a huge increase in the number of people working into their 70 and 80s, further battering the unemployment numbers.

You have made some very good points.

It's imperative that the kids in college take up majors that will make them employable such as math, science and technology.

o

30 year fixed rate mortgages are at 3.50% and inventory is very good, yet the housing market has been slow to just missing steady. A 5 year IRA CD is paying <1.50% and gas cost me almost 4 bucks a gallon this morning. Someone, please tell me why I should be rejoicing.

Real estate is moving as fast as banks are approving loans.
The real estate market was decimated under Bush, so you should be VERY glad that it is recovering and that prices are stabilizing. When inflation hits that sector of our economy as it should after the hyper deflation it has suffered, things will take off.

There is a reason Gasoline is so expensive for Americans and a reason that it will never be cheaper. It is because we are getting so much of it from Canada where the cost to tear up the Alberta landscape, boil rocks until oil sludge bleeds out, dilute it with chemicals and send it by pipelines and rail into the US, is never going to go down. It is a very costly , energy inefficient process just to get that black tar to a refinery.

On Romney's first day he wants to approve Keystone XL, a seventh Canada tar sand pipe line that will cut through our country to the Gulf so that other countries can compete with us for the same sludge.
Of course, you know that this Canadian tar sand oil sludge is more difficult and expensive to refine than oil from a conventional well, right?

You should feel good that our current administration passed the first new CAFE standards in decades and has encouraged electric battery technology for electric automobiles.

o
RE: Unecmployment hits 7.8%

Republicans have made themselves into ideological drones of Fox News. They root for the Economy to fail just so the President might not get re-elected. It has gotten so old.
Now I pray that these haters will get exactly what they deserve.
Obama for another four years.
If that happens it will be proof positive that there is a God.

o

The problem with the electric car is the source of the lithium for the batteries and the source of the electric for charging those batteries. I have already posted the facts about the limited supply of lithium, worldwide, on another thread. Nobody responded so I won't bother again. The info is out there if you are the slightest bit interested. What is the source of your electrical power to charge those batteries? How much did it cost to rewire your garage?

Some of you have recognized the oddity of the numbers. I don't really give a hoot about that. They will be changed (adjusted) next month and I can't do anything about them anyway. What I find disturbing is that as dismal as the figures are, still, the rejoicing going on(disreguarding the abuse being spewed toward the Conservatives)is that they are good!, good!, good! for the political aims of the President and no one seems to remember that they are still not so good for the unemployed, underemployed and their families. That 7.8% probably doesn't look very good to them.

o

The liberal media is commenting on it. Two blogs from Huffington Post.

Mark Gongloff:

September's stunning drop in the unemployment rate, from 8.1 percent to 7.8 percent, could boost President Obama's reelection chances, and it is clearly a step in the right direction. But that could be a small comfort to the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of workers who might still be employed right now if the government had made different choices.

For example, had Congress passed the American Jobs Act last year instead of letting it die, there might have been an extra 1.3 million to 1.9 million new jobs created this year, according to estimates by Macroeconomic Advisers and Moody's Analytics, respectively.

If you simply divide those estimates up by quarters -- an unscientific approach, admittedly -- you could guesstimate that the AJA would have produced an extra 975,000 to 1.4 million jobs through the first three quarters of the year (i.e., through September). Let's call it a million, just for funsies. Assuming no change in the labor force, and just subtracting that million people from the 12 million unemployed in September, you get the unemployment rate down to 7.2 percent from 7.8 percent.

On top of that, you could add the 575,000 government jobs that have been cut since Obama took office in January 2009. Had the federal government not shed workers and cut off aid to the states, it's theoretically possible -- arguably, would have been preferable -- that the government could have added jobs, or at least not cut any. That extra 575,000 workers -- again, assuming no change in the labor force -- gets unemployment down to 6.8 percent. We haven't seen 6.8 percent unemployment since November 2008.

And Arianna Huffington:

On the eve of the first presidential debate, the focus shouldn't be on who is going to "win," but on whether we are finally going to get a serious debate on jobs and the economy. If not, then the real loser is going to be the American public.

As we've sent time and time again, the liberal media (especially Huffington Post) is not afraid to call out this administration and Congress as a whole when it comes to pointing out mistakes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mark Gongloff

o

"What I find disturbing is that as dismal as the figures are, still, the rejoicing going on(disreguarding the abuse being spewed toward the Conservatives)is that they are good!, good!, good! for the political aims of the President and no one seems to remember that they are still not so good for the unemployed, underemployed and their families. That 7.8% probably doesn't look very good to them."

Do you believe that we should be upset that the numbers are down? All Reps. have been hitting people over the head with the "no Pres. has won reelection with an unemployment rate over 8% in over 60 years" fact. It certainly is not a low rate, but things are slowly getting better. I am sorry that I refuse to get depressed about that.

"President and no one seems to remember that they are still not so good for the unemployed, underemployed and their families. That 7.8% probably doesn't look very good to them."

A 5% unemployment rate would not look good to those unemployed either. Or 4%, or 3% to those unemployed. That is an emotional statement designed to pull at the heartstrings.

o

Gee, Frank, your compassion is overwherming. You must be a real gem.

o

The Republicans are showing their true colors. Instead of being glad the unemployment figures went below 8% to 7.8, they are instead b!tching and accusing Obama of "cooking the books" as if that were possible. If, on the other, hand IF the GOP did this , PRAISE would be shouted from the ROOFTOPS. Fox news spread the lies as if it were gospel and the sheeple bought it even though economists it's not possible. Throw it out and see of the sheeple buy it. If Obama is so powerful, next time he'll have it below 6%. Malicious lies are the only way the GOP can win.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 15:40

Mitt Romney / Paul Ryan 2012
7.8% ?? ...but, but, but, but...

o

"Gee, Frank, your compassion is overwherming. You must be a real gem."

Yeah, Sleepless, you have always struck me as the board humanitarian.

o

This whole issue boils down to lack of trust, by a large segment of the population, and whether any of you wants to admit it or not, of the current Snake oil salesman.

I for one don't trust the leftist/activist/asshat as far as I can throw him.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 17:13

I have far more reasons to distrust Romney, and that doesn't include the reasons all of his primary opponents have said in the past, or the fact that he is supported by pond scum like Karl Rove, Limbaudomy, and others like them (lessons learned). Romney is a liar, the real snake oil salesman who is slick as grease. Besides, it's a stupid idea to elect a businessman to uphold a government office. They will almost always protect business interests over the interests of the people they are supposed to represent. Obama hasn't given me any legitimate reason not to trust him despite what his enemies say and the BS they spread.

o

Snake oil salesman. That is a hoot. Every caricature I've seen of Romney is as a snake oil salesman. He's greasy and slick with his lies promising the moon and changing the talk the very next day depending on whom he is addressing. Rove ,Hannity, Rush...all the worst morons in this country have done nothing but try to destroy Obama from day one. Aint gonna happen. Look at the money the Dems raised in September.

o

Lavender-you have apparently been under a rock for a while and missed the whole world wide financial meltdown thingy. That things are gradually improving is really something to be glad about. Whether it reflects the actions of the present administration in the USA is something else. Since Obama has been taking all the blame for this from the conservative right wing, I think it only fair that he get some credit whether or not deserved. He certainly has not been getting any help from the Conservative right wing. What an amazingly powerful president we have. Not only can he tank the worlds economy, he can bring it back to life. Is this a Vampire or Zombie thing do you think?

I wish people would stop this breathless yap over every poll or latest batch of figures and look to the whole picture.

o

when some of the FOLKS on this forum were predicting a fools recovery people like me were investing, that investment has paid off. I told one expert on here to keep an eye on my investments after she smirked! Thats calling a bottom & the return for those of us who called that bottom was a 28 to 33% return, not outrageous just sensible! Prudent conservative investing without the idiocy of attaching it to the PRESIDENT. The Sub 8% was announced months ago you had to read it as slow growth & unemployment around 8% for the comming year, just below %8 is around 8% for the mat geniuses who don't read invetment reports.
Romney was hoping McDonald of Virginia & other governors would not tout their economic & employment recovery too loudly because it clashed with his spiel.I swear some of you folks never read it was in all the PAPERS.

Bloomberg: Romney Campaign Asked Republican Governor Of Florida Rick Scott To "Tone Down His Statements Heralding Improvements In The State's Economy" And Was Asked To Say That Florida's Jobless Rate "Could Improve Faster Under A Romney Presidency." "Mitt Romney's presidential campaign asked Florida Governor Rick Scott to tone down his statements heralding improvements in the state's economy because they clash with the presumptive Republican nominee's message that the nation is suffering under President Barack Obama, according to two people familiar with the matter. Scott, a Republican, was asked to say that the state's jobless rate could improve faster under a Romney presidency, according to the people, who asked not to be named. What's unfolding in Florida highlights a dilemma for the Romney campaign: how to allow Republican governors to take credit for economic improvements in their states while faulting Obama's stewardship of the national economy. Republican governors in Ohio, Virginia, Michigan and Wisconsin also have highlighted improving economies." [Bloomberg, 6/21/12]

o

If you cull out the people that are unemployable, or not seriously looking for work, the real rate is much lower. Most that are employable already have a job or two, a business, or a business and a job.

Finding jobs has never been difficult locally, the issues are job quality. Many jobs are low paying, part-time, temporary, seasonal, temp jobs or have frequent layoffs/terminations, poor working conditions, no benefits, little room for advancement etc.

The rate is artificially high as many aren't seriously looking for legit jobs as they're working in the booming underground economy.

The local underground cash and barter economy is the largest we've ever seen. We can't bid many jobs since customers want a cash deal and can't hire many subs and helpers as they'll only work for cash without plans, permits, inspections, insurance, receipts, guarantees etc.

It's amazing how much of the population has gone on disability. I was reading that we only have something like 16 workers for every person on disability, down from 41 to 1 in 1987.

It's amazing how many people quickly found work shortly before/after their 99 weeks of unemployment ended...

o

marj james said:

Finding jobs has never been difficult locally, the issues are job quality. Many jobs are low paying, part-time, temporary, seasonal, temp jobs or have frequent layoffs/terminations, poor working conditions, no benefits, little room for advancement etc.

So, why then is it " amazing how many people quickly found work shortly before/after their 99 weeks of unemployment ended... "?

People want decent paying jobs in their profession or using their work and life experience and education. They want jobs that can support their family and a job that can pay the bills.
Of course people will take a job at McDonald's or cleaning toilets for minimum wage when the 99 weeks runs out. What in the he11 us do you expect?
That's "amazing?" No, it's sad.

The real estate market is recovering steadily but so far it is the banks who have benefited from this. They have been selling bank owned properties, foreclosures, and short sales for several years as they purge their books of their inflated loans.
Unfortunately, that has not benefited the people, ordinary homeowners or the construction industry. We bailed out the banks and Wall Street investors who crashed the real estate market by inflating it and then sticking a pin into the balloon, yet they still hold all the cards.

It is my view that we need to have a Reagan era inflationary stint to correct for the hyper-deflation of the real estate market. There is no way to correct hyper-deflation by continuing to cut everything to seek the lowest common denominator. That is the fundamentals of a prolonged Depression, and the recipe for a Romney plutocracy reminiscent of the Roaring Twenties.

"The 1920s was a decade of increased consumer spending and economic growth fed by supply side economic policy.[5] The post war saw three consecutive Republican administrations in the U.S. All three took the conservative position of forging a close relationship between those in government and big business. When President Warren Harding took office in 1921, the national economy was in the depths of a depression with an unemployment rate of 20% and runaway inflation. Harding signed the Emergency Tariff of 1921 and the Fordney McCumber Tariff of 1922. Harding proposed to reduce the national debt, reduce taxes, protect farming interests, and cut back on immigration. Harding did not live to see it, but most of his agenda was passed by the Congress. These policies led to the "boom" of the Coolidge years.[6]

One of the main initiatives of both the Harding and Coolidge administrations was the rolling back of income taxes on the wealthy which had been raised during World War I. It was believed that a heavy tax burden on the rich would slow the economy, and actually reduce tax revenues. This tax cut was achieved under President Calvin Coolidge's administration. Furthermore, Coolidge consistently blocked any attempts at government intrusion into private business. Harding and Coolidge's managerial approach sustained economic growth throughout most of the decade. However, the overconfidence of these years contributed to the speculative bubble that sparked the stock market crash and the Great Depression.[7][8] The government's role as an arbiter rather than an active entity continued under President Herbert Hoover. Hoover worked to get businessmen to respond to the crisis by calling them into conferences and urging them to cooperate. Hoover's vigorous attempts to get business to end the depression failed.

When the income tax was established in 1913, the highest marginal tax rate was 7 percent; it was increased to 77 percent in 1916 to help finance World War I. The top rate was reduced to as low as 25 percent in 1925. The "normalcy" of the 1920s incorporated considerably higher levels of federal spending and taxes than the Progressive era before World War I. From 1929 to 1933, under President Hoover's administration, real per capita federal expenditures increased by 88 percent.[9]

In 1920-1921 there was an acute recession, followed by the sustained recovery throughout the 1920s. The Federal Reserve expanded credit, by setting below market interest rates and low reserve requirements that favored big banks, and the money supply actually increased by about 60% during the time following the recession. By the latter part of the decade "buying on margin" entered the American vocabulary as more and more Americans over-extended themselves to speculate on the soaring stock market and expanding credit. Very few expected the crash that began in 1929, and none suspected it would be so drastic or so prolonged."

see Wikipdia "The Roaring Twenties":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_Twenties#Economic_policies

Here is a link that might be useful: see also: Romney right out of the Roaring Twenties

o

Posted by heri_cles 10 (My Page) on Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 12:54

"marj james said:

So, why then is it " amazing how many people quickly found work shortly before/after their 99 weeks of unemployment ended... "?"

"People want decent paying jobs in their profession or using their work and life experience and education. They want jobs that can support their family and a job that can pay the bills.
Of course people will take a job at McDonald's or cleaning toilets for minimum wage when the 99 weeks runs out. What in the he11 us do you expect?"

I expect them to get off their keisters and work. I've checked groceries, worked the desk at hospital admissions, tended bar, waited tables, for very little money. Where's the self respect in these people?

o

I expect them to get off their keisters and work. I've checked groceries, worked the desk at hospital admissions, tended bar, waited tables, for very little money. Where's the self respect in these people?

What a foolish response.

o

I know! Like, "self respect"? What's in it for me?

Think I'll sit around and try to figure out who to blame.

o

For months on end we had the "no president ever won election with unemployment rates at 8%"--blahblahblah by the usual suspects (there was even a thread started). Now, all of a sudden, zip.

No surprise though, as this is clearly bad news.

o

When you've been out of the labor force long term (6 plus months) many employers assume you're lazy, have numerous issues that make you unemployable or a high risk, plus your skills have eroded and you haven't kept up with changes, so many won't even consider hiring you.

Imagine seeing a job application with a 2 plus year void in work history that many of the 99ers have.

Not only do skill sets erode, but physical fitness and mental sharpness goes downhill fast when many drop out the labor force.

It's much easier to find a job or two if you're already working as most jobs are unadvertised and filled via human networking. Most of the workers we hire already have a job or two, plus we poach many workers from other businesses.

o

most jobs are unadvertised and filled via human networking. Most of the workers we hire already have a job or two, plus we poach many workers from other businesses.

So for people that follow the "process", filling out forms, sending in resumes, going on interviews ... they are not necessarily going to find that job. They have to "know" someone. And apparently employers are willing to give a job to someone that already has one than to one that has nothing.

Reminds me of the stink about illegal immigrants jumping ahead of those trying to do it the legal way.

I'd say maybe employers should follow the rules so that everyone benefits but then I guess I'd be accused of interfering with the free marketplace.

o

Self respect the US electorate has no respect for the minimum wage worker as the minimum wage worker is not a living wage worker as they are in some other places in the world that insist the waiters wage pay a salary that permits them to both be able to pay rent & have health insurance. This nation has no respect so KOOL yer jets on the respect angle.

o

So for people that follow the "process", filling out forms, sending in resumes, going on interviews ... they are not necessarily going to find that job. They have to "know" someone. And apparently employers are willing to give a job to someone that already has one than to one that has nothing.

Depends on the job and the worker's qualifications. One of our 19 year old nephews with little work experience other than part-time jobs at Burger King and KFC just started at Target's Distribution Center @ $18 plus per hour, plus he had another job offer he turned down at Walmart's Return Center that started @ $14 per hour. These jobs were advertised and he used no human networking connections during the hiring process.

Most jobs that are "advertised" are advertised because they haven't been filled internally, haven't been filled via human networking and/or they're difficult to fill, so employers want/need a larger pool of qualified workers.

There are exceptions to the rule of course.

Even if the jobs are advertised, it still pays to know someone within the business, or a business associate, commercial customers/suppliers/service providers etc.

The other day when I was getting a crew cut, the woman cutting my hair said her daughter had applied at a local business, but hadn't heard anything. After a quick phone call, she was able to start working the next day, plus she bypassed much of the usual red tape.

o

Speaking of minimum wage, the trouble with many low wage/no benefit jobs is not the low pay, but the fact that most of these jobs are part-time, temporary or seasonal in nature.

Many of the shifts are 4 hours and many workers only work 2 or 3 days per week, or as-needed/on-call hours, plus there's little room for advancement due to few full-time positions and high worker turnover.

One of my tenant's daughters quit a part time job recently as the cost of transportation alone (20 mile round trip to work a 4 hour shift)consumed over half of her pay.

This is why many of these jobs are filled by young workers still living at home with parents that provide them with transportation.

It's sad, but many young workers in middle and upper middle class households working for spending money and many people working second and third jobs end up taking the jobs the unemployed need to be somewhat self sufficient.

o

I was going to post pretty much the same thing yesterday - amidst the platitudes about working at McDonalds and bagging groceries, picture someone with a beater car, two small kids that need a baby sitter, and having to drive 20 miles round trip for a minimum wage, 4 hour shift with no benefits. Tack on that you have to buy a uniform. You'd lose money.

/and of course, que somebody to come along with "well, she shouldn't have had two babies...."
//but maybe its a veterans widow, or someone whose husband died in a car wreck with an uninsured driver

o

Picture someone with no car that can't afford car payments, maintenance, repairs, $1,000 to $2,000 annual liability insurance, $4 plus per gallon gas, parking, tolls, towing/impound fees, traffic tickets etc hauling kids back and forth to daycare, plus traveling back and forth to a low paying 4 hour job via Transit or Taxi.

Taxi service in some areas between daycare and work would cost more than earnings.

Much of our poor and low income population remains poor since they can't afford reliable transportation. They can't even get a job delivering pizzas.

Many don't have a driver's license, or they've had their driver's license suspended for driving without insurance, registration, failure to pay tickets, failure to surrender plates etc.

Many new drivers simply can't afford $150 plus per month in liability insurance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here