Return to the Hot Topics Forum

o
Barack's Bogus "Accent"

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 12:02

Barack Obama has a special "accent" he reserves just for certain audiences. Hear him introduce his beloved pastor, Jeremiah Wright, to an enthusiastic audience of African Americans. Note that with this particular group, Barack Obama went out of his way not to sound "too professorial." What's up with that?

In his speech, the "uniter" America elected as their president set about indicting the country.

He told African Americans that America "did not care" about the misery they suffered from Katrina. In yet another false Obama narrative, Americans who opened their homes and wallets, and who couldn't get to N.O.(or Haiti) fast enough to pitch in and help are depicted by this president as uncaring racists. His comments were divisive, angry, and demeaning to all Americans.

Had enough?

Here is a link that might be useful: Source

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barack's Bogus "Accent"

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 12:07

He talks funny... you don't like him 'cause he talks funny?

o

Wondered how long it would take.

Exclusive video...what a hoot!!! This video is way old, five years old as a matter of fact, and was extensively covered at the time.

o

Yes Drudge Report desperation. REPUBLICAN RIGHT WING D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-I-O-N . Can we say 47%. No bogus accent there.

Nik I am shocked. Don't vote for Obama he has a Bogus Accent.

o

Really? Wow...

o

Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 12:23

Romney has funny hair... just sayin'...

o

Is that because he's caucasian, KWoods?

o

Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 12:36

I think it's because he doesn't know any better and nobody is willing to tell him...

o

Well, maybe we should solicit Nik to go to Washington and tell the President he talks funny, because... well, I'm not sure why... we'd have to ask Nik that question. She's the one who thinks he talks funny.

I've never noticed anything off about his speech.

o

What exactly was that twang that Bush often lapsed off into though raised in Texas by a New Englander and a New Yorker? Why fault someone for their strange affinities to their roots and regional identities?

I don't find it particularly odd that Obama (even Bush or any President) to tart up speech patterns... Should be crushingly obvious that Obama made a deliberate choice to adopt some of the "presumable" dialect features of the crowd being addressed.

o

Can you at least try to hide your racial resentment a little Nik?
That was pretty ugly.

o

Accents spray on LATIN you know those darned politicians.
Nice topic bright airy meaningless on a debate day!

o

Yes, I saw an article where Juan Williams got onto Sean Hannity about this (Sean Hannity said his show was the ONE place that you could watch this video). I guess we know what TV nik watches now ....

"It's a bombshell video that you will only see tonight on 'Hannity,' and it's one that could dramatically impact the race for the White House."

Hannity's day-long hyping of the video drew a rebuke from guest Juan Williams later in his show.

"I love coming on your show Sean, because I've been here now for all these conspiracy theories," Williams said. Hannity said there was no conspiracy, that Obama was pushing racial divisiveness by talking about the federal response to Hurricane Katrina and the lack of federal money for black-owned business, and that he seemed like a different person because of his accent.

"He was speaking to an elite audience of young black people," Williams said. "He was relating to them directly ... politicians do this repeatedly.

"You guys are playing a race card now," he said.

"Why are you protecting what should be condemned by everybody?" Hannity asked.

"Are you kidding me? I would condemn it in a second if I saw it in the way you are describing," Williams said. "When I see that you guys throw dirt and see what will stick. All you do is hope something's going to stick this time."

o

Hey, nik, let me help you out here. In the link is a list of the top 10 Drudge fake reports. Perhaps you could start with #1 and have a new post each day for the next 9 days (since you already covered #10) with the faux outrage you are so good at.

Just trying to help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Top 10 list

o

Kinda what I was getting at, Heri, thank you.

o

Barack married a girl from Chicago, a great town that he grew to love and made his own. As a proud Chicagoan, born and raised in white neighborhoods on Chicago's South Side and living in and around the Metro area for decades, I welcome the President as Chicagoan in heart and in spirit. He's a great guy and I do not begrudge his effort to speak with local people with a localized accent.
I have adjusted my speech depending on who I am speaking with whether it be to night shift factory workers, children, educators with PhDs, to fellow sports fans at a baseball game.

Meanwhile this latest dog is another attempt to energize the racist base of the Republicrat party.
Will their hatred for Obama be enough to get them to vote for the Mormon Plutocrat who wants to dismantle Medicare and Social Security?
How strong is their hatred and how far can it be taken?

o

Keep those posts coming! Thanks.

o

Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 13:22

You're welcome.

o

Nik read Jill's top 10 BOGUS things on the Drudge report. ALL false. You guys are soooo desperate that you're even ramping up the lies now.

BTW..what about Mitty's bogus tan?? Pandering , ya think?

o

How does one get "exclusive" access to a 5 year old video that was all over the news at the time?

Ooooops.....someone didn't do there homework.

o

Why in the world would a neocon be appropriating a CA stoner/skateboarder word like "bogus" to use in her title? Are you changing the way you normally write to appeal to GW readers, Nikoleta?

o

This could be wit a little effort like the madding post but you'd need a little help from the right to get it going.

o

Nik,
How ridiculous it that?

For all I care, the prez doesn't even have to talk....just run the country.

o

Here's a compilation of Mitt doing the same thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thank you for that notto. Run the country from The View, David Letterman, the golf course, fund raisers, campaign stops. Wow, would that be awesome!! First president in history to miss 56% of his intelligence meetings. First president in history with unemployment above 8% 41 months running. Dunno, maybe he should stay out of Washington.

Nik, he sounded just like a New Orleanian, must be because he's from SOUTH Chicago.

o

Yawn.

o

First president o be topping the polls with unemployment over 8 %

o

btw chase, though this video was from 2007, this part of it has never been aired before.

First president o be topping the polls with unemployment over 8 %..........and what a shame that is.

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 14:22

Thank you for that notto. Run the country from The View, David Letterman, the golf course, fund raisers, campaign stops. Wow, would that be awesome!! First president in history to miss 56% of his intelligence meetings. First president in history with unemployment above 8% 41 months running. Dunno, maybe he should stay out of Washington.

Nik, he sounded just like a New Orleanian, must be because he's from SOUTH Chicago.

Oops, I think you "missed my boat". I meant that I'm NOT impressed when people pick on the smallest things, one of which is the way one speaks.

I'm an Independent, so while I believe the prez is the commander-in-chief, I also know that if Congress or Senate are not the same party, the prez cannot get his agendas done.

I also know that MANY of the ills today were, PRIMARILY, created by the Republicans...like Romney (Greed and outsourcing, and hence the people on welfare. Healthcare has not been addressed).

Don't know who I will vote for, yet. I do know that I would be better off under Romney TODAY, but in a few years, when I retire, I would be better off under a Democrat ;)

I am a Conservative Liberal ;)

o

I think you are mistaken on that Mrs. but if you have definitive information to the contrary I have no problem standing corrected.

You see , I believe that facts, not conjecture, matters ....

o

I stand corrected it seems that some portions had not been released before but it isn't clear to me that they are of any particular significance vis a vis the main content.

None the less it is way old news.......

o

and what a shame that is.

Which points directly to the miserable candidate that the GOP has nominated.

o

Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 15:10

Why did you republicans all vote for Romney in the primaries and then nominate him? Just curious what makes him such a compelling figure to all of you republicans that voted for him in the primaries. Obviously it's not his hair.

Chase, the transcript has been available since 2007. The reason the video is of such great importance is not due to its content but because of his tone of voice.... which just tickles me.

o

Exactly my point Nancy....if Obama can be topping the polls with the economy still struggling and the unemployment rate above 8% it tells you just how bad the other choice is.

Given the stats Mrs states you would think the President would be in the tank...but he's not. Must be driving conservatives mad.

Having said that it is still a very close call and no time for smug.....

o

Had enough?

Y'all gunna git im fur FOUR MORE YeeeARS.

-Ron-

o

The liberal blogger Andrew Sullivan linked to what he described as a "transcript" of the speech, which turned out not to be a transcript at all, but instead the prepared remarks provided by the campaign. In fact, Obama, who was not using a teleprompter, deviated from his script repeatedly and at length, ad libbing lines that he does not appear to have used before any other audience during his presidential run. A local newspaper posted a series of video clips of the speech, but left out key portions. No complete video of the Hampton speech was widely released.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 15:18

If he wasn't using a teleprompter you guys are off your narrative once again.

o

All I can say is...wow. He spoke in a way that his audience would appreciate and understand. And that's what you're so upset about?

MrsK - check out my link above. I know how much you enjoy the faux outrage posts. You're so good at them! There's plenty of material in there for you to work with.

Given the stats Mrs states you would think the President would be in the tank...but he's not. Must be driving conservatives mad.

Exactly! Which explains these kind of posts.

They, like Romney, think we forgot which leader got us into this mess. If they don't mention his name during the campaign, we won't remember. Not working so well. Seems that the majority of Americans remember very well. They remember who got us into this mess and what the policies were that got us there. And for right now it looks like they are not willing to go back to that big lie. Which is driving the conservatives mad! They can't just lie anymore and expect the majority will believe them.

o

Just sounding like the "conservative natives" are getting extremely worried, extremely nervous that their terribly flawed candidate is going down the toilet and into the sewer.

Darn, not to get smug or anything, or "count my chickens before they are hatched",

BUT

it is what, those of us in MA, what we told you would happen. "The Mitt" was a flawed, "king of the flip flops" total disaster of a candidate and in the end would not win the election.

Heck you chose the guy, you chose him from the rest of your flawed candidates, one worse than the other.

And there are those here on HT that said they didn't care who one the nomination for GOP, any of the candidates would be fine,just as long as they weren't Obama.

Not what one would call an intelligent thought process when every one of your candidates where nothing but disasters to put up against an incumbent president.

Come election night, maybe the GOP will learn something, if that is possible, or better yet, the sane GOP members that used to be the GOP party will revolt and take back their party from the "dog and pony show" fundamentalist, tea party crew that has take over their party.

Either way, it isn't looking good for the GOP, so expect far more absurdities to come rolling out from the "panic stricken" as they watch their candidate sink as fast as the Titanic did.

o

Recycling the dog whistles that didn't to the job well enough in 2008; that's pathetic!

o

Well, all I can say is that if this keeps up, Mrskjun and Nik probably won't be voting for President Obama come November.

And for that 5% who haven't made up their minds yet, I doubt this kind of dreck is going to change their minds.

Maybe a solid, believable, feasible and fair economic plan from Romney would do the trick. Not just vague platitudes. We got that already.

o

Maybe a solid, believable, feasible and fair economic plan from Romney would do the trick. Not just vague platitudes. We got that already.

Perhaps a better understanding of how they would improve healthcare should they repeal Obamacare on day one. That is shown to be a pretty important issue to people.

Here is a link that might be useful: analysis of important topics

o

This is fun' no really it Ida true hot topic

o

if you think this thread is fun, just check back for all the new threads started by the conservatives after tonight's debate.

Now that will be lots of fun to see.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 13:51

How does one get "exclusive" access to a 5 year old video that was all over the news at the time?

Ooooops.....someone didn't do there homework.

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 14:55

I stand corrected it seems that some portions had not been released before but it isn't clear to me that they are of any particular significance vis a vis the main content.

-------------------------------------------------
What I most respect about Chase is that she owns up to her mistakes. As she did here, admitting that she got something wrong. Thank you, Chase.
-------------------------------------------------
"He spoke in a way that his audience would appreciate and understand."

Wow.

o

Would that you would do the same Nik......

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 17:32

Well, after watching this secret tape of Obama speaking in 2007 I've decided not to vote for him. This boils down to a matter of principal and substance for me. I only wish that I had known about this obvious flaw in Obama back in 2008. Thanks Nik you have opened my eyes.

Mitt Romney 2012
He Speaks My Dialect!

o

"Well, after watching this secret tape of Obama speaking in 2007 I've decided not to vote for him."

Gosh, vgkg, after last night's debate you must be completely locked in for Romney now, right???

Want me to get you a bumper sticker? :)

o

"missed 56% of his intelligence meetings"

Sorry, had to come out of lurkerdom for that one. What President Obama does, instead of listening to regurgitated reports of what's happening in the world at these meetings, is to read each and every report HIMSELF, in his car, in his airplane, at home, away from home, wherever, every single day. He wants to see for himself what is happening instead of getting just a synopsis at a meeting that lasts one or two hours. That being said, he probably spends more time on "intelligence" than any other president, unless they also used that technique, which I'm not aware of being the case.

o

Could the term conservatives are carefully using for "accent" be a cover for the term they themselves have used and have been ridiculed (exposed) in the past ...the term being a 'negro dialect?'

Could it possibly be? Any chance at all?

What do you think Nik - is that the true meaning of your use of the word "accent" - or can you not quite manage the marbles to acknowledge your anger regarding a black skinned man speaking in what used to be referred to as a "negro dialect" for political gain?

Either way, just another faux outraged petty focus brought to this forum by Nic&co -

- via Fox faux news, of course.

Did anyone see Jon Stewart's comedic riffing about Fox's very own Hannady and his out-RAGE regarding this horrific 'breaking news story!'?

HILARIOUS! I'm sure it exists on youtube somewhere.

I died laughing, he sure knows how to drill down on conservative nonsense/ugliness.

Jon was spot on, as usual.

o

Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 16:24

Sure Nik, all bumper stickers are welcome.

Mitt Romney 2012
Man of Changessssssss...

o

No fault...he spoke in a way that regaled his spiritual mentor for 20 years. Right before he threw him under the bus.

o

Romney threw Reagan under the bus?

o

"Could the term conservatives are carefully using for "accent" be a cover for the term they themselves have used and have been ridiculed (exposed) in the past ...the term being a 'negro dialect?"

That prize goes to DEMOCRAT Senator Harry Reid! He said candidate Obama could be successful on account of his being "light skinned" and cleaning up nicely without having any "Negro dialect" unless he wanted to. Charming.

Obama's phony southern accent has no more to do with his color than Madonna's phony British accent does with hers. If you're from Hawaii, don't pretend you're a southerner. It makes you look dumb and sound dumber.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harry Reid apologizes

o

So what we can take from this is that nik is not likely to be voting for Obama in November....

o

Someone posts a tape of Obama in his own words and they are called racist when the obvious "black thug" dialect is pointed out. Yea, Obama has a couple of dialects to suit the audience he is trying to impress, one black and one white.

As I'm sitting here typing I'm listening to Mark Levine and low and behold he is talking about Obama's various dialects to suit his audience. Does Obama not realize people know about his changing dialect? I find that change in dialect a slick move, but very insulting and racist on his part.

o

Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 23:03

,"black thug" dialect ?

I missed the thug part
"Yea, Obama has a couple of dialects to suit the audience he is trying to impress, one black and one white."

Wow....you do realize the he has bi-racial parents right? That means, one black and one white.

o

"Wow....you do realize the he has bi-racial parents right? That means, one black and one white."

Um, no. The president's father is identified as black and his mother as white, which identfies the president as "biracial", although he reportedly self-identifies as "multiracial". His parents are not biracial.

That being said the president's various accents, when he uses them, are an affectation. If his target audience doesn't mind, that's good for him. Anyone who does mind will be irritated by it, so if you are not a supporter of this president, it should make you happy. It's a win-win.

o

OMG..Mark Levine. No wonder you have all the wingnut talking points. I gather you're a big fan of the maniac Michel Savage and the idiot Sean Hannity too? NOW we get where you're coming from.

o

Better than Chris Matthews who has lost his tingle. He's bringing out the knives!! I thought the poor guy was going to cry right after the debate, now he has moved into panic mode, ready to do harm to Romney. He's downright scary.

o

No one needs to do harm to Romney... he's harming himself just fine without any outside help.

It's perfectly natural to lapse into a comfortable mode of speech when with various peer groups. I take it you've never heard groups of youths change their speech patterns when going from friends to parental conversation... this isn't slick or abnormal.

What's abnormal is the Republican math being tossed around...

o

Rule #1 in public speaking (or any communication for that matter) - KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.

Any effective public speaker, any one, will and should adjust to the audience.

o

I find after spending a few days in the South I start to adopt some of the ways of speaking and some phrases.

The fact the President is able to address an audience in a style they are accustomed to is the smart thing to do especially when you can do it naturally.

Go find something real to beat him up for.

o

Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 7:58

oops, again my bad on definition elvis, I should stop posting past my bedtime.

o

NOW we get where you're coming from.

As if we didn't already know :-)

o

CLUCK CLUCK.

o

"Better than Chris Matthews who has lost his tingle."

Right along with his freakin' mind, Mrsk! Dems love to talk about angry white guys. One look at Chris Matthews (or Ed Schultz!) and you know Democrats belong the top of the list.

"The fact the President is able to address an audience in a style they are accustomed to is the smart thing to do especially when you can do it naturally."

Uh Oh. He's from Hawaii, not the South. He can't pull it off naturally. A blame America first performance by a future American president is both news and cringe-worthy.

Knowing your audience is helpful for determining the content of what you want to say and the points you want to emphasize. Obama's audience may have appreciated his saying
government "didn't care about" them, and talking about their "dollah." But his most important audience is the American people, and he used his speech to trash them.

His behavior before that other audience was reprehensible. He knew as he was speaking that he had voted against Stafford "dollahs" for New Orleans, just a couple of weeks before. That's good information for the electorate to keep in mind. Obama was one of the few who voted no. And then he went out and trashed America.

Here is a link that might be useful: Obama voted NO on Stafford

o

Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 9:59

"CLUCK CLUCK."

QUACK QUACK... Waddle waddle....

So this is about fear of black people? I guess I missed that on the first go round so I appreciate that being pointed out by GGM.

How does this help the "Republicans"? All the black stuff was pointed out last time around and I don't think the independents and moderates (the only voters still in play at this point) are impressed by this kind of "strategy" so where is the hard core right going with this? Or, are they just energizing the base? (adj: Webster's 7th definition both a. and b.)

o

Alas when your hypervigalent right out of the crib you develop a very sensitive hearing mechanism for all sorts of "dog whistles' this forum is deafening at times!

o

very sensitive hearing mechanism for all sorts of "dog whistles' this forum is deafening at times!

Sarah Palin could have learned even more dog-whistle techniques if she had read HT during the 2008 presidential campaign.

o

lily responds to my post:

OMG..Mark Levine. No wonder you have all the wingnut talking points. I gather you're a big fan of the maniac Michel Savage and the idiot Sean Hannity too? NOW we get where you're coming from.

=========================================================
I didn't know the topic of this discussion was "who are you a fan of?" I am conservative which is no secret on this forum so what is your point except to be rude and obnoxious as always. The ugliness of your posts are very disturbing and once again I ask myself what some of you are drinking, smoking or swallowing. From now on when I see your name as the author of a post I'll just skip over it because it's become evident you have nothing intellligent to say, only nastiness. I hated bullies when I was a kid and I sure as heck don't care for them as an adult.

o

Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 14:46

Irony as satire or blind hypocrisy?.... I'm in an optimistic sorta mood so I'm interpreting it as satire...

o

LOL, I thought it was hilarious that Stephanie Cutter feels like Romney and Ryan should decry the showing of this film. Wonder why that is? Sounds like none of the liberals here have a problem with it. And, I wonder why she does?

o

• Posted by ENMc none (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 16:23

>>I hated bullies when I was a kid and I sure as heck don't care for them as an adult<<

And yet... you'll vote for them!

E

o

During this special accent period, the delinquency rate for credit card debt is at an 11-year low.

-Ron-

o

Yet late payments on mortgages are at a historical high. Might need those credit cards when you are living in your car.

o

Yet late payments on mortgages are at a historical high.

Can I ask where you got this information?

Fannymae and FreddieMac are reporting the lowest home delinquency rates since 2008. The Commercial Mortgage delinquency rates are also being reported at 3-year lows.

I couldn't find anywhere that mortgage rate delinquencies are at historical highs.

-Ron-

o

"The national delinquency rate remains well above its historical range, an indication many homeowners are still struggling five years after the housing downturn."

However...

Here is a link that might be useful: Low Delinquency Rates In 2Q

o

The heck with the president's fake accent. I want to hear old Joe perform his "gonna put y'all BACK in chains" accent during the VP debate...

o

When I go back to Brooklyn, I often find myself falling back into the old cadences of my youth. I had no idea it was nefarious.

o

Remember when Biden said, "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean." And they call Republicans the racists!

o

Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 19:41

"Remember when Biden said, "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean." And they call Republicans the racists!"

Puhleeeze! Everyone knows exactly what he meant by that....that the usual racist repugs wouldn't get to say he was "too" something.. "too" anything... "too" can't put my racist finger on it..."too" you know, wink wink...(too, well, NOT US) at least not publically.

'Course, he was wrong. Biden gave them "too" much credit! They have moved from the shadows and inuendo and now don't even bother with the "too something" vagueness dujour, served up with a side order whiff of racism.... nope, now you get that entree of poo served up with the full, pungent odor of hatred mixed with that racism...thus, THUG, BLACK THUG, steaming in full repug stink served up on your daily plate.

>>And they call Republicans the racists!<<

See above.

E

o

When I talk to my colleagues and clients in NJ over the phone, I try to sound as non-regional as possible. Same for when I talk to our team in India.

But when I talk to people in my area, especially long time Southern people, I let the Southern accent drip back in.

o

All the talk about "letting the old accent from days gone by slip back in" makes sense, of course.

But not when you're from Hawaii and Indonesia. The president never lived in the deep south, did he?

I'm going with the pandering theory. And that makes sense, too. When you're trying to sell something, especially yourself, surely there's a tendancy to tell people what you think they want to hear. You want to present like "one of the folks". A lot of people won't think to dig any deeper than that.

o

So much for the historically high mortgage delinquency rates.

Carry on about Obama's accent. I thought it had a Kenyan tinge to it.

-Ron-

o

Obama is a chameleon and tries to change his colors when it suits him. He is widening the racial divide in this country by promoting his opinion that government directs it's concerns to different segments of the population depending on the color of the peoples' skins.

He was supposed to be The Great Uniter...he is everything but that! I think he's a racial bigot.

It's not that he talks funny, it's that he switches to a Negro dialect when reaching down to "his people" and I consider that PANDERING!

o

Negro dialect

When Harry Reid used that term he was (rightly) taken to task. He was smart enough to acknowledge his error and apologize for his racist remark. Some people learn from others mistakes, while others apparently don't and continue to use terms that were long ago deemed inappropriate.

o

Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 23:40

Monablair, what you say clarifies this for me, you should post more often.

o

monablair, I found your post to be extremely offputting. I can't even make sense of your second sentence except that it is obviously hostile to President Obama. If black people (I refuse to use your word) are his people then what are white people, since he is also equally white?

What exactly makes him a racial bigot? Can you give an example? Can you also give an example of what he's done to widen the racial divide? You've made some sweeping statements that read like insults without a single fact to substantiate them. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate. These kinds of vague statements are just a waste of everyone's time except apparently kwoods'.

o

"just a waste of everyone's time except apparently kwoods'."

Ingrid, I don't know where you think you get off speaking for "everyone". You sure don't speak for me, for example.

The president does pander to what he seems to consider "his people", i.e., the black community. Except that he's not really black; even the president self defines as "multiracial". He is definitely half white, and presents to the white community as a white man who looks half black. The president likes to play it both ways, separately, always separately. He's playing out his internal conflict on both blacks and whites, but not as a way to bring us closer to each other. I don't believe he wants blacks and whites on the same side.

o

I understand exactly why Kwoods wants her to keep posting. I find what she says reprehensible but she represents many people out there.

o

Yes you should Mona.
What a breath of fresh air to have another contributor
post who is not partaking of the "koolaide" still.

I heard someone remark today on TV (wish I could remember
who) that this President has been idolized, hero-worshipped
and pandered to , more than any President in History and more than any President in History, the less deserving.

Mona I am interested in why you voted for him?
Did you know ANYTHING about him?
My next question....did you have any questions in your
mind about him personally?

I don't mean his policies and views....I mean he himself?

o

Negro dialect? like:

Yaaas, Massa, Suh - lemme fetch da carriage?

Or more

Yo! Homey! If you see da police,

Photobucket

(warn a brothah)

o

Yes you should Mona.
post who is not partaking of the "koolaide" still.

Birds of a feather...

No surprise you two hit it off immediately.

o

"Except that he's not really black"

Elvis, tell me please that you mean he is only 1/2 African and also 1/2 white. I know that you used to buy into that phony "birther" notion that he was Arab. Please do not embarrass yourself again and express belief in that idiocy.

o

We'll never know the actual racial origins of Obama, Sr., Frank. If he was part Arab (white), which wouldn't be at all unusual in that part of the world, the president would be more white than black. Who knows; the president doesn't self-identify as "biracial". (Why not?) That's irrelevant anyway.

As for the birther thing, I never heard the word before HT, last spring. I was actually surprised there was a label for people who wanted him to present his birth certificate. The horse is out of the barn on that issue anyway, so why anyone wants to re-hash it is beyond me.

Do you want to talk about the president's birth certificate?

o

"We'll never know the actual racial origins of Obama, Sr., Frank. If he was part Arab (white), which wouldn't be at all unusual in that part of the world, the president would be more white than black"

I gave you a way out, but you continue to display yourself as massively misinformed by fringe websites. His father was a member of the Luo tribe. Educate yourself. Stop embarrassing yourself with the ramblings of far right wing websites.

We know his father's racial origins (everyone but you).

o

o

He's playing out his internal conflict on both blacks and whites, but not as a way to bring us closer to each other.

Hoot. What ridiculous psychobabble straight from the script of D'Souza's movie (2016). Your amateur armchair psychiatry parroting the move is ludicrous.

You are aware that none of the "experts" D'Souza used in the movie to substantiate his claims about "Obama's internal conflicts" be it his relationship with his father, his race, etc. have ever met Obama to actually KNOW anything You haven't either Yet you all see pretend to "know" Obama's deepest thoughts and motivations. Ludicrous!

o

Oh, goody -goody ,another racist has joined the gang. Who even says Negro anymore?

o

If anyone believes that mona actually voted for Obama ... they are the ones drinking the kool-aid!

Even elvis is allowing us to see her dark side now:

The president does pander to what he seems to consider "his people", i.e., the black community.

It's getting good ....

o

Consider the source that brought it up here. The motiv behind it was clear from the beginning.

I'm surprised it took you so long to catch on.

o

"Who even says Negro anymore?"

Racist bigots... that would accurately describe those who use the term, as vile as it is.

Well. This thread took a sudden nosedive into xenophobia and hate, didn't it? Those of us who despise racism are duly insulted.

And, we're really going backward into "birther" territory? Again? Really? Wow. How does one adequately respond?

o

Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 8:54

>> Yes you should Mona.
post who is not partaking of the "koolaide" still.<<

A "contributor", really? That ain't no "contributor". She just drops in to lob race bombs from time to time. A fly by. Dropping napalm.

Let's pay attention now, shall we, to who is driving this Welcome Wagon.. and who hops aboard.

E

o

More like bird droppings....

o

Wow. Monablair hasn't made any personal insults here and the responses to her post(s) are most unfair. The word 'negro' is not a bad word, although it is antiquated. Many dark skinned folk actually prefer and use the word to describe themselves and others.

'Arabic' is moreso a culture than a race. There are many shades of skintone within.

I think this has been mentioned upthread, but anyone successful at selling ones' self realizes you speak differently according to your audience. It's a normal, smart and effective tool.

o

One of my best friends happens to be black...she's the one who used the term "Negro Dialect" in describing the way he speaks to some groups when he's trying to act as though he's one of them. I just repeated her words. Not that it's any of your business but we have a mixed race family. The young children in our family come from different ethnic backgrounds and their skin tones run the gamut from fair skin ,blonde, blue eyes to dark skin,dark eyes with dark curly hair. We get along just fine, thank you, and none of us are racially biased.

Why did I vote for him in 2008? because when I heard and saw him speak on behalf of John Kerry, I was totally blown away by his appearance, composure and what appeared to be leadership qualities. I knew then that I had just seen a future president of the United States. I believed that and I made up my mind that I would vote for him if and when he ran for the office. And I did. Did I do my homework? No, I didn't. My family wasn't aware of his past associations with radical extremeists; our fault for not asking the right questions.

However, this election, the only people in our family that are still voting for B.O. are my SIL and BIL.

I know I only drop in when I have major complaints about something and I make no effort to hide my opinions. But this is America and we don't have to agree.

Just know,you may want to label me as a racist, but you are far, far off target with that spear.

o

Not that it's any of your business but we have a mixed race family.

If it's not our business, then please don't share.

o

Mona, I'm sorry you were treated so rudely for only posting your opinion here.

That IS, after all, the purpose of this forum, and a poster should not be personally insulted, their integrity and character discussed and impugned publicly for only expressing their opinion.

There has been more than enough of that--and some of the rants and absolutely speculative and false judging has become out of control.

The junior high sniping at people who disagree, the orders given to certain posters to"ignore the troll" when people only give their opinion, accusing people of praying for people to not get jobs when there is NO evidence of that, accusing people of not caring about others and wanting them to suffer--is not indicative of participating in a hot topics forum to discuss topics.

These actions and words are indicative of something much more disturbing, mean spirited, obviously designed to trivialize and insult people who think differently and frankly, only serve to illustrate an inability to accept that others have a difference of an opinion.

These comments are much more telling about the person making them than the person they are lying and speculating about.

Come back and post anytime, Mona, regardless of your opinion.

This forum is every iota as much yours as any poster here.

o

Mychal Massie is a respected writer and talk show host in Los Angeles . This is something he wrote.

"The other evening on my twitter, a person asked me why I didn't like the Obama's? Specifically I was asked: "I have to ask, why do you hate the Obama's? It seems personal, not policy related. You even dissed (disrespect) their Christmas family picture."
The truth is I do not like the Obamas, what they represent, their ideology, and I certainly do not like his policies and legislation. I've made no secret of my contempt for the Obamas. As I responded to the person who asked me the aforementioned question, I don't like them because they are committed to the fundamental change of my/our country into what can only be regarded as a Communist state.
I don't hate them per definition, but I condemn them because they are the worst kind of racialists, they are elitist Leninists with contempt for traditional America . They display disrespect for the sanctity of the office he holds, and for those who are willing to admit same, Michelle Obama's raw contempt for white America is transpicuous.
I don't like them because they comport themselves as emperor and empress. I expect, no I demand respect, for the Office of President and a love of our country and her citizenry from the leader entrusted with the governance of same. President and Mrs. Reagan displayed an unparalleled love for the country and her people. The Reagan's made Americans feel good about themselves and about what we could accomplish. His arrogance by appointing 32 leftist czars and constantly bypassing congress is impeachable. Eric Holder is probably the MOST incompetent and arrogant DOJ head to ever hold the job. Could you envision President Reagan instructing his Justice Department to act like jack-booted thugs?
Presidents are politicians and all politicians are known and pretty much expected to manipulate the truth, if not outright lie, but even using that low standard, the Obama's have taken lies, dishonesty, deceit, mendacity, subterfuge and obfuscation to new depths. They are verbally abusive to the citizenry, and they display an animus for civility.
I do not like them, because they both display bigotry overtly, as in the case of Harvard Professor Louis Gates, when he accused the Cambridge Police of acting stupidly, and her code speak pursuant to now being able too be proud of America . I view that statement and that mindset as an insult to those who died to provide a country where a Kenyan, his illegal alien relatives, and his alleged progeny, could come and not only live freely, but rise to the highest, most powerful, position in the world. Michelle Obama is free to hate and disparage whites because Americans of every description paid with their blood to ensure her right to do same.
I have a saying, that "the only reason a person hides things, is because they have something to hide." No president in history has spent over a million dollars to keep his records and his past sealed.
And what the two of them have shared has been proved to be lies. He lied about when and how they met, he lied about his mother's death and problems with insurance, Michelle lied to a crowd pursuant to nearly $500,000 bank stocks they inherited from his family. He has lied about his father's military service, about the civil rights movement, ad nausea. He lied to the world about the Supreme Court in a State of the Union address. He berated and publicly insulted a sitting Congressman. He has surrounded himself with the most rabidly, radical, socialist academicians today. He opposed rulings that protected women and children that even Planned Parenthood did not seek to support. He is openly hostile to business and aggressively hostile to Israel . His wife treats being the First Lady as her personal American Express Black Card (arguably the most prestigious credit card in the world). I condemn them because, as people are suffering, losing their homes, their jobs, their retirements, he and his family are arrogantly showing off their life of entitlement - as he goes about creating and fomenting class warfare.
I don't like them, and I neither apologize nor retreat from my public condemnation of them and of his policies. We should condemn them for the disrespect they show our people, for his willful and unconstitutional actions pursuant to obeying the Constitutional parameters he is bound by, and his willful disregard for Congressional authority.
Dislike for them has nothing to do with the color of their skin; it has everything to do with their behavior, attitudes, and policies. And I have open scorn for their constantly playing the race card.
It is my intention to do all within my ability to ensure their reign is one term. I could go on, but let me conclude with this. I condemn in the strongest possible terms the media for refusing to investigate them, as they did President Bush and President Clinton, and for refusing to label them for what they truly are. There is no scenario known to man, whereby a white president and his wife could ignore laws, flaunt their position, and lord over the people, as these two are permitted out of fear for their color.
As I wrote in a syndicated column titled, "Nero In The White House" - "Never in my life, inside or outside of politics, have I witnessed such dishonesty in a political leader. He is the most mendacious political figure I have ever witnessed. Even by the low standards of his presidential predecessors, his narcissistic, contumacious arrogance is unequalled. Using Obama as the bar, Nero would have to be elevated to sainthood... Many in America wanted to be proud when the first person of color was elected president, but instead, they have been witness to a congenital liar, a woman who has been ashamed of America her entire life, failed policies, intimidation, and a commonality hitherto not witnessed in political leaders. He and his wife view their life at our expense as an entitlement - while America 's people go homeless, hungry and unemployed."

o

Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 10:47

>>I know I only drop in when I have major complaints about something and I make no effort to hide my opinions.<<

And your "major" complaints ALWAYS involve black people. Excuse me, ahem... Black Racists. It is the ONLY time you "drop by". More like, what you drop!

Oh ya, we know that "some of your best friends are black". They always are!

>Just know,you may want to label me as a racist, but you are far, far off target with that spear.<

Spear? Interesting choice of word, there. Why am I not surprised.

E

o
Barack's Bogus "Accent"

"The heck with the president's fake accent. I want to hear old Joe perform his "gonna put y'all BACK in chains" accent during the VP debate..."

Can't wait for Biden to bring his riveting "angry white guy" performance into our living rooms next week!

The last Varsity vs jr. varsity match-up was so much fun. The next one could be even better. Hope they have time to explore how the middle class got "buried in the past four years." At least Biden was clear about the timeline. It all happened under Obama's watch.

o

Their defense is always... my best friend is black, or my sister in law is black, and then spew their derogatory "Negro" comments.

o

Thanks for posting that Massie essay, Mona. Although I don't agree with absolutely all the content, it was thoughtful and brave.

And just a general statement regarding the rest of the vitriole from the the majority (not all) portion of the left on HT:

I truly believe that the overwhelming majority of the "haters" on this forum are victims of "white guilt", if you will. This would explain the need to project characterizations such as "bigot", and "racist" onto others.

As far as the characterzations of others as "homophobe" and "mysogynist", well that can't be white guilt. Maybe just plain old projection based on their own such prejudices. Sort of "the lady doth protest too much" sort of thing.

Just suck it up. As long as the self-hatred these folks are experiencing right now is confined to rhetoric and not committed to actions which may be irrevocable, we're all okay.

o

I really think some of you so completely miss the point. Were you to criticize actions of the president in factual terms, that would be worthy of a discussion. Mychal Massie's long diatribe is a perfect example of immense dislike, hate, vitriol, whatever you want to call it, without a single cogent reason why he says the things he says. The same goes for the posters who serve up the same old tired agenda of nonsense without basis in fact. We've heard the words "death panel" repeated ad nauseam without there being a single proven basis for that very inflammatory term. It goes on and on, in the face of endless evidence presented that the comments of people like GGM, citywoman, demi, mrskjun and monablair are not based on proven facts and are nothing more than inflammatory and provocative rants. At that point they retreat into silence, because they have no rational answers. The next day they have a new flawed hobbyhorse to ride in on. It becomes really tiring and yet I'm back on the forum because I can't stand to see President Obama, who certainly doesn't need me to defend him against the slings and arrows, denigrated to such an extent, and to be insulted over and over, with so little ammunition and such a lack of any real knowledge of what is actually taking place. And this by the same people who are so extraordinarily thin-skinned themselves and retreat into righteous indignation when someone holds up a mirror to their faces. The educational system has failed them badly since rational thought and clear analysis are not a part of their repertoire of life skills. Hate and derision are very poor substitutes.

o

t goes on and on, in the face of endless evidence presented that the comments of people like GGM, citywoman, demi, mrskjun and monablair are not based on proven facts and are nothing more than inflammatory and provocative rants. At that point they retreat into silence, because they have no rational answers. The next day they have a new flawed hobbyhorse to ride in on. It becomes really tiring and yet I'm back on the forum

Obviously.

Big drama exit didn't quite work out, did it?

o

In what dimension do you live where you ever hear a black person refer to themselves as "Negro"?! Stating such is indicative of someone not familiar with proper etiquette or anyone of a different race.

In all my years upon this earth, I have never, not once, heard a black or mixed race individual refer to themselves as "Negro". Never. And I never will. It's not proper etiquette. It's a term caucasians coined during the days of Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, and earlier.

"Negro" is the slang equivalent of a racial slur! And "Negroid" is not considered today's terminology for a race!

As one caucasian might refer to another as "dude", "bro", or "bud", so blacks will refer to themselves or each other as nigga, African American, American, or black. Some are relaxed terms, used mainly by youth, and some describe the race or nation of origin identified with. One should never, ever hear a caucasian refer to each other or a black as nigga, or any other slang terminology.

It's very straightforward etiquette. It's not hard to grasp no matter what color your skin is, or what mixture your race is.

Just so it's understood, those of us who are of mixed blood are extremely insulted by the ignorance portrayed within this thread. The entire thing is demeaning, from the original post on. Can you get any more demeaning, or fall any further behind the times?

If you're going to use the term "negro", you might as well just throw the term "colored" out there, and see what happens. They are derogatory, and indicate a level of ignorance I haven't seen in quite some time.

o

I have heard black people refer to themselves as Negroes, but not lately.

It seems the "politically correct" term changes throughout the years. When I was in high school and integration occurred in our school, we were all told to use the term, "blacks." That's what black people wanted to be referred to then where I lived.

I do recall hearing "whitey" and "cracker" although I do not recall anyone asking what Caucasians, Hispanics or Asians preferred to be called.

I do hear black people refer to one another in the slang of that word, however--you know, the "n" word.

You can't blame Obama for trying to get every vote he can by adapting the syntax and level of sophistication of his message to different audiences.

People do it all the time--speaking to their audience.

However, being untrue to your normal speaking voice and attempting to adapt an accent or dialect that is not yours is a little silly and certainly pandering, in my opinion.

Hillary in Selma is a perfect example of this.

That was ridiculous.

o

ENMc..Missed your comment yesterday about GGM hating bullies(me) but is very content with voting for Romney, the ultimate entitled bully. Gotta laugh.

The term Negro is so foreign today , only heard in old news clips from the 50's and 60's. Anyone using it today is suspect no matter how they define themselves.

Cannot wait till the 7th of November.

o

"In what dimension do you live where you ever hear a black person refer to themselves as "Negro"?!"

My grandfather, when speaking to other black gentleman. That's what he grew up with and that's what he perpetuated - you can explain to him that he's not familar with his own race or doing something wrong. (if he were alive).

I'd love to see that one, lol.

o

demi, "big drama", if that's what you want to call it, in this case didn't hurt anyone, did it? Derision often can and does. Not in this case, though, since it's your known modi operandus, and at one time or another most people here have been at the receiving end of it. Continued use does not make it any more attractive alas.

o

Ingrid, don't worry about it. Many posters get frustrated and post about leaving. Some do, some dome back, others don't and some leave and come back as sockpuppets/someone else.

If Demi was consistant and called out all that left like she did to you she would have some credibility but she doesn't. Elvis made a dramatic exit, chastising all those she didn't like before she did, and Demi didn't say a word when she returned days later.

Demi simply took this opportunity for a personal attack.
You are entitled to participate or not at your will not anyone elses and you are also entitled to change your mind as you see fit. Ignore the bullies.

Time to move on.

I hope this doesn't turn into a Ingrid bashing thread or another thread about Demi. There have been too many of those already.

o

Epi, keeping my fingers crossed, but not counting on it working.

o

epi, thank you so much for your kind post. It's people like you who give this forum humanity and warmth and that, in addition to the high level of intelligence and knowledge, keeps drawing me back. I tried another forum and it was so unbelievably vile that I only only lasted a very short while. I had no idea so much vulgarity and hate existed. The election coming ever closer does seem to have an effect on more than a few people's personalities.

o

I had posted this on another thread but think it
needs to be here.

posted by: citywoman2012 on 10.06.2012 at 03:14 pm in Hot Topics Forum

I have found in HT the persons who continuously use
the racist card are the persons on the left side of the aisle.
I think its common knowledge...for whatever reason...the
left side of the aisle has a race-guilt complex and it
plays such an important role in their road to recovery,
they have taken on the role of trying to prove their
"loyalty" and show their "look at me, I'm pure as the driven snow,
I'm not like "those" people ", that they
manufactor the slant of racism against the right.

I have seen this attack sooooooooo many times in HT
against nearly every conservative on this forum.
We are use to it. It had been used so much as a "gottcha"
on here against the right , its become a joke.

So to the persons that have the racist-guilt complex and need to
assuage that itch.....do whatever it takes.

We know if we say, "I think I will buy a white car",
we are going to be labeled racist.

Its just something the left has a fixation with
and it goes along with the saying, if you cry wolf
too much, and the wolf is not there, then you lose
all credibility and it ends up as ho-hum.

Which is really a shame because there is still such a
level of racism against so many and a legitimate reason
to champion for those out there, that it is used in vain and lacks any serious purpose here.

o

My apologies to Jodik and to anyone else who was personally offended by the words "Negro Dialect".

Look, I used the phrase "Negro Dialect" as a direct quote from my friend, who deliberately used it to show her disdain for B.O.. Whether you believe Lillie is one of my best friends and whether you believe she's black doesn't matter to me.
The writer, Mychal Massie, quoted above is black and he is extremely critical of B.O.. Are you going to accuse him of betraying one of his color?

In my opinion, I'd still think this man hasn't performed well these past 3 1/2 years even if he were white as the driven snow. I don't care what his racial or ethnic make-up is. I cannot think of one thing he's done that would tempt me to vote for him again.

And, OMG, should anything happen to him, we'd have "Foot in his mouth" Biden in the Oval office!! if that isn't enough to keep you awake nights, I don't know what would do it.

o

My apologies to Jodik and to anyone else who was personally offended by the words "Negro Dialect".

Look, I used the phrase "Negro Dialect" as a direct quote from my friend, who deliberately used it to show her disdain for B.O.. Whether you believe Lillie is one of my best friends and whether you believe she's black doesn't matter to me.
The writer, Mychal Massie, quoted above is black and he is extremely critical of B.O.. Are you going to accuse him of betraying one of his color?

In my opinion, I'd still think this man hasn't performed well these past 3 1/2 years even if he were white as the driven snow. I don't care what his racial or ethnic make-up is. I cannot think of one thing he's done that would tempt me to vote for him again.

And, OMG, should anything happen to him, we'd have "Foot in his mouth" Biden in the Oval office!! if that isn't enough to keep you awake nights, I don't know what would do it.

o

citywoman, since you've seen fit to post this piece of drivel twice I feel obliged to post my answer twice also. Please stop already with the unrelenting generalized psychobabble on a subject that you really have no specific knowledge of.

"citywoman, I assume you have a degree in psychiatry and/or psychology to make the assumptions you throw out there in such a facile way. You think that what you propound is "common knowledge"? Have you taken a survey or talked to hundreds or thousands of liberals? What is it about you that should lend credibility to such wide-ranging generalizations? So far I've found nothing in your past posting history that would make me want to do so."

o

Ingrid, so glad to see you posting again.

Ignore CW, she's just one of many that likes to spew out lots and lots of hot air and doesn't make much sense if any, but thinks she does.

Just take a good look at her last diatribe and as you noted, claims of absurdity throughout.

o

oops, the double post was not intentional.

o

Can't believe you people are still harping on this trivial matter.

You know, my grandmother was raised in southern Illinois where they have a peculiar accent. My grandmother had lived her entire adult life in South Dakota and spoke like all the rest of us--except if you brought up a topic pertaining to her youth or southern Illinois. Instantly, her southern Illinois accent returned--but she showed no awareness that she was using it. I finally asked her once in her later years if she was aware she did that. She looked at me in total surprise--had no idea what I was talking about. Took us quite a while to convince her that she reverted to a southern Illinois accent under certain conditions. She was totally amazed at the discovery.

So under some circumstances Obama speaks more "black" than at other times. So what? Doesn't make any more difference than my grandmother sometimes lapsing into southern Illinois talk. Curious detail, but unimportant.

So what's the big fuss here? It's a curious detail, but unimportant.

Kate

o

monablair: You think Mychal Massie is a respected writer? Let's put an end to THAT lie. Here's one of his gems.

I submit that it is the blackness of Michelle Obama that gives credibility to the "blackness" of Obama. This is one of the dirty little secrets white people remain ignorant of, because to accept what I am saying as fact would require them to also acknowledge the depth of contempt many blacks harbor toward them. And it is that contempt the Obamas manipulate to control what is said of them and the extent of media criticism they receive. Michelle Obama is a world-class conductor of the race-mongers orchestra. And she conducts the symphony with the adroitness that even the most skilled race-monger can take lessons from. In 2000, Al Gore may have gotten little more than prayers and fried chicken, but in 2011-12, Obama � thanks to his wife has figured out how to get juice from that fruit. -- Jan. 2

o

I meant to post the source of the article which is just plain
startling.

Here it is, Monablair. Tell me now if you think he's a "respected writer".

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick sick sick

o

Pay close attention and get it right, Epi:

INGRID is the one who mentioned MY NAME, EPI.

INGRID is the one who insulted ME, EPI.

YOU, EPI, are the one that brought my name up AGAIN.

So if you don't want a thread about me, then tell your buddy INGRID to shut up about me, and YOU do the same.

The fact that I respond to someone who brings up MY NAME when I haven't engaged them and comments on me, PERSONALLY, is NOT insulting someone.

If you or Ingrid don't like my opinion, you have the option of doing what you should, and that is differing with my opinion or keeping your mouth shut.

Of course that doesn't seem to be what's preferable around here, and that is if you do not agree with or like my opinion, then you find a reason to INSULT ME.

YOU people have the nerve to engage ME when I don't engage you, then when I note that you insult me, get your panties in a wad.

Buck up, if you don't want to hear about me or other conservatives, then don't talk about ME--talk about the topics, for a change, if you can.

o

But demi, I did differ with your opinion......

o

Now, that's more like it!

o

No one accused him of betraying anything and no one cares what color this Lillie is or isn't. Those are your words not anyone elses. This is just more bluster and an attempt at deflecting and attempting to excuse your poor choice of words.
Mychal Massie reports for the rag World Net Daily among other right wing media. He also wrote a column "Why I hate Obama". In this case what does his skin color have to do with anything? Trying use his or your friends skin color is a pitiful way to try to validate your point and substantiate your opinion.

Look, I used the phrase "Negro Dialect" as a direct quote from my friend, who deliberately used it to show her disdain for B.O.

Your apology rings hollow. Based on that statement you apparently knew that that term was problematic before you posted yet you chose to use it anyway, like your friend, deliberately, for effect. You should have thought about your polarizing words before you posted them on a public forum for all to see. Anyone who doesn't support those words wouldn't have repeated them. Period. You could have made your point in a number of other ways. You didn't.

Demi, my only response to your rant is heed your own words.

Your post Obviously.
is not talking about the topics. Is it? Just another example of your usual do as you say, not as you do.

You are welcome to disagree with Ingrids opinion but that wasn't what you posted was it? Your post was a direct attack at another poster, what you constantly accuse others of doing, and nothing about the topic. There is no disputing that. Move on and again, heed your own words if you want others to follow suit.

o

Only a little person would say something as ungracious as that, demi.

o

Epi, can't you understand?

I don't start this.

But when someone STARTS insulting me, I have every right to call them out on it.

If you don't like it, too bad.

It's a shame you can't see that I'm not the one that calls out posters and mentions them by name and insults them when they are only giving their opinion about a topic.

I never have called out a poster and insulted them or called them stupid, unable to think, selfish, called them blind, idiots, thieves, non caring,or anything like that.

I have been called all those things, which is just WRONG, and what's worse, I have said NOTHING which would cause a sane and rational person to make those charges.

I've repeatedly said that I think Barack Obama is just not qualified for this job and I do not agree with his vision or government involvement, but I've said nice things about him too. You'd never know it by the lies told here about what I think about him. Thank God ESH bothered to post the truth.

I've repeatedly said that I WANT my tax dollars to help people that cannot take care of themselves, AND those who have to care for them. I have repeatedly said that I think tax dollars should go to people temporarily down on their luck, unemployed, sick, or encounter unexpected hardships.

But you'd never know that by the rants about conservatives praying for people not to have a job, how we should all be ashamed, accusing conservatives of not being good Christians, no doubt including me by very veiled reference, by mylab.

Again, total lies and misrepresentations of how I feel about a subject. I AM THE ONLY ONE that can articulate what I think (well, Hamiltongardener does a pretty good job)
and certainly not people that have an interest in tearing me down and insulting me because of their prejudices and intolerance.

People do that to me, and conservatives, all the time.

Apparently they do this because they don't have a retort so they need to make personal comments.

So go back and read where INGRID, who I never heard of until a few months ago, and had no quarrel with, started in on me BY NAME.

GO back and read the posts today where she posts insults about ME and other conservatives BY NAME and tell me I started it?

Then someone truly does have a "reading comprehension" problem if you can't see the truth here.

I don't start this trash, but I will respond to it and call it out.

Keep it up and I will call it out.

Respectfully disagree and I will just as nice to you as always have been.

Not once have I insulted someone and started calling them out by name and disparaging them personally because of what they think--that's the purpose of this forum.

Insult me, call me out by name, and I will call you out for it.

o

This is the Hot Topics Forum, isn't it? Why wouldn't you expect posters to include problematic words in their posts?

I shouldn't have to defend my choice of words or my reasons for choosing them in this Forum...in any other, I would have used other words.

I didn't know anything about Mychal Massie's history when I posted his words.
Why would he feel this way about the Obama's? Any ideas? Are there any valid points he's made about them or has he fabricated "the flaws" he finds in them?

o

I didn't know anything about Mychal Massie's history when I posted his words.

Shouldn't you be careful then and do a little research BEFORE you post and cite him as a respected writer?

The things you say in this forum will be on line for all the world to see for quite a long time. You want to make sure you don't say anything that will be embarrassing.

o

jerzeegirl, you're right. I should have researched the author's credentials before copying and pasting the "respected writer" bit......my bad.

o

No worries, monablair.

o

Dear Mona Blair,

If an apology is in order, let mylab go first. She used the term "negro dialect" two days before you did! Those outraged liberals didn't start wetting their pants until YOU used the term.

Posted by mylab123 z5NW (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 15:48

Could the term conservatives are carefully using for "accent" be a cover for the term they themselves have used and have been ridiculed (exposed) in the past ...the term being a 'negro dialect?'

Could it possibly be? Any chance at all?

What do you think Nik - is that the true meaning of your use of the word "accent" - or can you not quite manage the marbles to acknowledge your anger regarding a black skinned man speaking in what used to be referred to as a "negro dialect" for political gain?
-----------------------------------------------------
My reply to a confused mylab:

"That prize goes to DEMOCRAT Senator Harry Reid! He said candidate Obama could be successful on account of his being "light skinned" and cleaning up nicely without having any "Negro dialect" unless he wanted to. Charming.

Obama's phony southern accent has no more to do with his color than Madonna's phony British accent does with hers. If you're from Hawaii, don't pretend you're a southerner. It makes you look dumb and sound dumber."

o

This is the Hot Topics Forum, isn't it? Why wouldn't you expect posters to include problematic words in their posts?

I never "expect" people to be offensive.

Your words could educate, inform or they can antagonize. It's your choice. People who want to discuss a topic usually try to avoid using words and phrases that are offensive to others. They are your words and on discussion boards collectively they are how you are perceived. As JZ says your words are there forever so you own them.

Negro was a word that was acceptable at one point in time but much less so today - some people feel it resonates of racism. If your intention is to offend you can continue to use phrases like you did and take your chances or you can simply make another, less polarizing, choice. There are countless ways to express opinions. It depends on what your intention is and what you want to accomplish and how you want to be perceived. You may not care. That is up to you.

o

nikoleta, are you at all aware of the meaning of the word context? Apparently not,or you would have never offered up this pitiful attempt at one-upmanship. Obviously mylab's remark went completely over your head.

o

Nikoleta, it was no less offensive when Harry Reid did it and he acknowledged it and apologized. Many people learned then that the phrase was not appropriate. Some apparently didn't.

As for Mylab perhaps you missed her entire sentence and the context, not to mention the quotes around the phrase.

o

Anybody else notice that the "Romney Just Lost the Election" thread is inaccessible? or is it just my computer?

o

Much ado about nothing. White folk getting up in arms on how some black folk choose to self-identify, the nerve.

Like I was saying...

"The United States Census Bureau announced that "Negro" would be included on the 2010 United States Census, alongside "Black" and "African-American" because some older Black Americans still self-identify with the term."

Here is a link that might be useful: wiki link

o

The United States Census Bureau announced that "Negro" would be included on the 2010 United States Census, alongside "Black" and "African-American" because some older Black Americans still self-identify with the term."

And now, because it offended many, they are reconsidering doing it again in 2020. Times change. It may have been acceptable at one time but no longer.

Census Bureau wants to drop word 'Negro,' stop asking Hispanics what race they are

Associated Press
08/08/2012 04:01:57 PM PDT

To keep pace with rapidly changing notions of race, the Census Bureau wants to make broad changes to its surveys that would end use of the term "Negro," count Hispanics as a mutually exclusive group and offer new ways to identify Middle Easterners.

The recommendations released Wednesday stem from new government research on the best ways to count the nation's demographic groups.

The research is based on an experiment conducted during the 2010 census in which nearly 500,000 households were given forms with the race and ethnicity questions worded differently.

The issue isn't just semantic. Some African-Americans in 2010, for instance, criticized a question asking if a person was "black, African American or Negro," saying the government's continued use of the term "Negro" was demeaning and offensive.

o

Is this much ado about nothing?

o

It also looks like it wasn't the "white folk" who were up in arms and made the complaints but why let facts get in the way?

Some African-Americans in 2010, for instance, criticized a question asking if a person was "black, African American or Negro," saying the government's continued use of the term "Negro" was demeaning and offensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here