Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why as a woman you should NOT vote for Romney

Posted by notto (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 12:41

I just got back from my OB-Gyn Dr. who is the top of HER field.
She asked me if I wanted to be tested for BRCA(blood test to see if I have the gene for breast cancer), because there is breast cancer in the family.

SICK as it may sound, I had to think about it and opt NOT to be tested to see IF I carry the gene for breast cancer. This may be a detriment to me, because should any form of aggressive breast cancer start, I will not be tested frequently enough....and THIS is how people die.

Why? Because I didn't want it in my medical record in case it came back as yes- a pre-existing condition. I said the election is UNCERTAIN, and the Obamacare law can be changed. She understood, but ironically NEVER thought of it that way. She was glad that I knew more than the typical patient.

IF Romney gets elected and repeals Obamacare, the pre-existing condition will NO LONGER be covered by insurances, which means that IF I lose my current insurance and try to get another one, they can deny me care, because some bloodwork MAY kick out that POTENTIALLY I can get breast cancer in my life.

So, by Romney being elected I stand to lose out on the following:
1)being covered by ANY insurance, if I lose the one I have now. They can even cancel me.
2)Later- a Medicare Voucher that will be unaffordable, and no ins will want to insure me
3)Lose all my assets IF I get breast cancer/sick.

I don't care what age you are, you always need to plan for the future, and think logically NOW, this election.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why as a woman you should NOT vote for Romney

It's not a sick thing to think. It's actually something which is being heavily weighed in deciding how much information to tell a patient after genetic testing. Just because one has a gene, doesn't make it a guarantee. (((hugs to you!))) I am just like you. I will not go as often as I should, supposed to, whatever it is.

That said they're already doing things they shouldn't. Do you know my carrier ordered a drug screen on me without my consent? Because I was in the ER. I hate to think what will happen should I ever need pain relievers again. I actually have a genetic deformation and have been getting by with Aleve. The MD, not in the ER, said, I can't believe you've been getting by with just aleve! I don't think there is a plan one can do for the future, because we have already lost control. It's why I keep saying we need to take it back. Too many of our freedoms have gone bye-bye.

o

That you made that decision isn't sick, but the fact that you had to make that decision is very, very sick. There is something very wrong and very sad that a country like the USA puts their people in a position where they would have to make a decision like this.

I can't believe that anyone, not just women would vote Republican just on this issue alone.

~Ann

o

Notto,

There was a similar situation in a documentary I watched quite a while ago. They were talking about a disease that was prevalent in the population of Iceland... because they have been a small, isolated population for so long and this disease is hereditary, it has a higher occurance among Icelanders.

So the documentary followed scientists as they tried to treat, document and study this disease. They asked icelanders to get tested, provide blood samples, and participate in these studies which the Icelanders did without a second thought.

But when trying to get the same co-operation in the USA among family members of known sufferers, they ran into a brick wall. Why? Because they were afraid of how it would affect their insurance. They would rather not know or treat a possible disease just so they wouldn't jeopardize their health insurance.

o

Since osteoporosis is more prevalent in women than in men, I, too, have a reason (thousands per year in dollars) to not vote for Romney. I was just recently diagnosed with osteoporosis in my right hip and am at risk of hip fracture. After going over the many types of medications that are available, I decided on one which has far fewer serious side effects. But, of course, it is horribly expensive. The ACA is changing how the "donut hole" is applied and, just next year alone, my cost under the ACA will be about $2000 less than without it, due to the fact that I pay 47.5% of the cost of the drug while in the donut hole insted of the full amount of the cost of the drug. In 2014, it will be a few hundred dollars less and then I'll be off the drug as I am to take it for only two years.

Yes, it is shameful that we are the only industrialized country to have a system of health care where people die or go bankrupt or are afraid to be tested for possibly preventable conditions. It is not sick for you to make that decision. It IS sick, that anyone thinks that this is o.k.

o

That's not sick... that's sad. Incredibly sad that American women have to forego such knowledge, knowing that such knowledge could save their lives, in order to keep insurance.

What a head-shaker... the rest of the world must think we are the greediest nation on earth, because that's what it all boils down to.

o

I wish people would take the time and read the truth regarding something as important as their healthcare.

Romney is not going to get rid of pre-existing medical
conditions on insurance.

Reading page after page of health info is not the best way to spend a day and I found this article that simplifies
a few questions regarding the pre-exsiting issue.

No one wants to be in the 1% of persons denied ins. because of pre-existing conditions but its not the huge issue its made to be by the Democrats.
This issue will be front and foremost in the healthcare
re-do Romney will take care of.
Romney wants to tweak the healthcare and get rid of the waste that comes from Obamacare (thank goodness).

Pre-existing condition coverage is important to Romney and Obama both alike. It will stay.
Forbes:
Do only 82,000 Americans suffer from the pre-existing condition problem?

You might think, given how often supporters of Obamacare talk about pre-existing conditions, that it�s the biggest problem with our health-care system. But it isn�t, not by a long shot. In the post-HIPAA environment, very few people�less than one percent of Americans�are denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition.

These individuals fall into a fairly narrow bucket: they�re too well-off to qualify for Medicaid, and too young to qualify for Medicare. They�re either unemployed, or don�t get insurance through their employers. They�ve elected not to maintain coverage on the individual market, either because they couldn�t afford it, or because they didn�t want to. And then they got sick.

A Congressional Budget Office study found that, of those who are uninsured, only 3.5 percent were uninsured because their health was too poor to qualify. On the other hand, 71 percent blamed the high cost of insurance for their lack of it. 3.5 percent of 55 million is 1.9 million, or 0.6 percent of the U.S. population. It�s both a big number (1.9 million) and a small number (0.6 percent). If the CBO�s numbers are right, the pre-existing condition problem is one that we should pay attention to, and try to fix, but without making things worse for the other 99.4 percent of the population.

The number of people with this problem may be far lower than that. Obamacare created a set of high-risk pools that would provide subsidized insurance to people who have a pre-existing condition and have been without health coverage for the last 6 months: a reasonable definition of the population. The CBO estimated that up to 700,000 individuals would enroll in the program. As of July 31, 2012, only 82,000 had signed up.

So how does Obamacare "solve" the pre-existing conditions problem? By going where HIPAA did not: forcing insurers in the individual market to accept all comers, regardless of pre-existing conditions. But in order to enforce that rule, without destroying the individual insurance market, Obamacare had to enact�well, the rest of Obamacare.

Obamacare requires most Americans to buy health insurance�the infamous individual mandate�to discourage people from waiting until they�re sick to buy insurance. Because if only sick people buy insurance, but insurers are forced to accept all comers and charge healthy and sick people the same rate, insurance would rapidly become too expensive for anyone to afford. The individual mandate, as you know, was so Constitutionally controversial that it was barely upheld in a 5-4 vote by the Supreme Court.

For the government to enforce that mandate, it has to come up with a government-approved definition of what "health insurance" is. And Obamacare takes advantage of that new role to define insurance expansively, so that insurance plans that qualify for the mandate are costly and comprehensive, driving up non-group premiums by 19 to 30 percent.

And it�s unfair to force poor people to buy a costly insurance product that they can�t afford. So Obamacare spends $1.9 trillion over the next ten years to subsidize insurance for those with lower incomes.

o

This issue will be front and foremost in the healthcare re-do Romney will take care of.

And how will he do that? Your post does not say. Romney has not said, other than they can go to emergency rooms for treatment. Which, as we all know, is a crock!

So, how is he going to "take care of" this problem as you say he will? Or are you saying it's not a big problem and screw the 1.9 million people with this problem?

o

Romney (and the rest of his party) want to immediately repeal Obamacare and then start implementing something else.

Three guesses as to the amount of time between that repeal and the implementation of what they do. Months, years, even if they do it at all.

I'm not banking on his promise that protection from "pre-existing conditions" will be available to anyone in 2013.

o

If you're sick, well just go to the ER. What a laugh. The ERs are already out of control.

o

I'm curious, too... what, exactly, is Romney going to do regarding health care in America. Give us those specifics, please.

So far, Romnay hasn't said anything... except, we can all get help at the ER... and neither have any of his followers.

o

ER does not address existing conditions. It only takes care of immediate trauma.
The only other type of care the ER may take in is when someone is in a diabetic coma, end stage of their life, etc.

I saw a woman in a room with my mother at the hospital who had diabetes. She was not insured. She was going to die in a few hours. She was only in her early forties. That's what the ER doctors told her. I got out of there. I couldn't listen to that.

Romney blamed Obama for private ins cost increase (Obama projected that private ins cost will go down). That's true, but they go up every year.
Private ins started panicking that Obamacare is going to make them take people with pre-existing conditions, and they will have to pay for an illness WITHOUT a cap. This is also true. This will dig into their profits....

However, when Obamacare will be fully instituted, the private ins will have to compete for patients, therefore their prices will either come down or stabilize. Romney didn't tell the whole story.

o

From the Forbes article linked below:

"Under the Romney plan, if you've got a pre-existing condition and you have money, you're good to go (yes, the wealthy need health insurance too.) High income Americans with a large enough bank account will be able to afford the high cost of COBRA should they lose their job or switch immediately to an individual policy without concern or the high premiums they will be charged.

If you are a middle-class, working American?

Basically, you've got no chance. Do the math. The average American earner with a pre-existing condition and a family to support could not hope to pay the premiums charged by an insurance company under the Romney plan, especially if that American is over 50 years of age. This is certainly the case if such an individual would also like to, from time to time, pay the mortgage and maybe even eat on occasion.

The bottom line is that the Romney plan is not a plan for most Americans - it's a political dialogue designed to help him to appear like a caring and concerned leader."

Here is a link that might be useful: Long article but worth a read

o

Yes it's their feigned compassion again. Par for the course.

o

"Romney is not going to get rid of pre-existing medical
conditions on insurance.
[sic]

Then why, after the first debate, did the Romney campaign come out and correct him when he said that preconditions would still be covered? Because they're not under his "plan" - which is to repeal Obamacare and then let the states deal with health insurance, keeping the federal gvt out of it.

o

I can only imagine that, in Romney's eyes, EVERYONE who loses a job with benefits or get's dropped from coverage for whatever reason somehow scrambles right out with checkbook in hand and buys into COBRA (for a few months anyway until bankruptcy looms because of the premiums) or finds another carrier to pick them up so as not to have a break in their health covereage.

Simple problem for Romney; unsurmountable problem for many others. The man is an unthinking yutz.

o

In Mitt's world, you just borrow money from your parents!

unthinking yutz

Perfect description!

o

Ich bin ein Otterbeiner - those students got a real heads up on solving the student loan debt problem in that speech.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 18:18

"Then why, after the first debate, did the Romney campaign come out and correct him when he said that preconditions would still be covered? Because they're not under his "plan" - which is to repeal Obamacare and then let the states deal with health insurance, keeping the federal gvt out of it."

They do correct him a heck of a lot don't they David, like, nah, that's not what he meant, he means such and such...what BS.

Romney's long term healthcare plans actually helps solve the social security problem too, killing two birds with one stone. Savvy businessman.

o

You liberals had no problem with Nancy Poolucy's suggestion:

Pelosi: Pass Health Reform So You Can Find Out What�s In It
March 9, 2010 RSS Feed Print

Lets get Mr Romney in the WH.....then we can find out what
we will get.

Why would you have a problem with that??????????
You did it the first time and didn't make a fuss about it.

Geeeeeeeez....you'all are so darn picky.

o

WE weren't voting on the healthcare act - our representatives were and a) they had a chance to read it, and b) they were supposed to read it before they voted on it.

Believe me, they had a chance to look at it.

Now we're voting and we want a chance to look at what we're voting for. Pretty simple really.

o

LOL citywoman, you are so right.

I'm voting for Romney because he is not going to take away the senior's health care. Obama is going to cut Medicare by $700 and something million so he can fund his pet projects. No thank you, I'm not hanging the seniors out to dry.

That's another thing that has changed in this country. There was a time when people cared what happened to seniors, but now they have become the forgotten ones in order to pay for illegal's, etc. Not a very nice trade for people who worked their entire life to pay taxes to be put on the side lines so we can support some illegals who have never paid a cent in taxes.

More emphasis and discussion is about women being able to get an abortion than how seniors are going to be taken care of. Something is very wrong with this picture.

o

The party line is $716 billion.

Our ruling

Romney said, "on Medicare for current retirees, (Obama) is cutting $716 billion from the program."

That amount -- $716 billion -- refers to Obamacare's reductions in Medicare spending over 10 years, primarily paid to insurers and hospitals. But the statement gives the impression that the law takes money already allocated to Medicare away from current recipients.

We rate his statement Half True.

And the savings allow Medicare to be solvent for 8 years longer as a result. It's a good thing - nothing to be scared of.

Here is a link that might be useful: Politifact

o

notto, my heart goes out to you and other women who have the same dilemma. When you think about it though, men can face exactly the same conundrum, plus they are husbands and fathers and sons of women. We're all in this together and why the half of the population that is pro-Romney can't see that is something I've pondered quite a bit without coming up with a satisfactory answer. I've finally decided that the dumbing down of America has progressed even further than I'd imagined. It's not an answer that can bring any kind of satisfaction.

o

by greatgollymolly (My Page) on Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 22:26

LOL citywoman, you are so right.
I'm voting for Romney because he is not going to take away the senior's health care. Obama is going to cut Medicare by $700 and something million so he can fund his pet projects. No thank you, I'm not hanging the seniors out to dry.

That's another thing that has changed in this country. There was a time when people cared what happened to seniors, but now they have become the forgotten ones in order to pay for illegal's, etc. Not a very nice trade for people who worked their entire life to pay taxes to be put on the side lines so we can support some illegals who have never paid a cent in taxes.

More emphasis and discussion is about women being able to get an abortion than how seniors are going to be taken care of. Something is very wrong with this picture.

YOU, nik, CityW, Demi are so wrong when you cannot decipher what EXACTLY Romney is saying. The Reps like you are stuck on Simple soundbites and slogans.
Is it because your are in DENIAL, or have a comprehension, critical thinking deficit?

I recall taking a business class in college which was given by a state legislaturer. He didn't have an agenda other than to make us think, and see all aspects of an issue.

The beauty was that he talked about many things, including HOW politicians talk (kind of like Snake oil salesmen). He taught us to listen closely to the WORDING of a politician.

Example: If Romney says that he believes that women "SHOULD" have access to this or that, it doesn't mean he supports it, or that he will do something about it. The word "SHOULD" has no meaning. It's a non sequitur. It's like if I said: "I should buy this"....but I won't. No commitment is made. You can expect nothing or the opposite.

Romney goes on telling everyone how things are and how they SHOULD be, which is BS.
a) I know already how things are. He doesn't need to insult my intelligence to fill in his speech, pretending that he'll fix it, simply by DESCRIBING the country.
b)Then Romney telling me how things SHOULD be. Yeah, I know how things "SHOULD" be...

The big question is WHAT is ROmeny going to do about it, HOW and WHEN-specifics, not BS.

o

Ah, but, notto, he cannot tell you. If he actually told people what he planned to do, nobody but the 1% would vote for him. And you cannot win with only 1% of the votes! Therefore, he cannot say. Lucky for us, we got to hear how he really felt behind closed doors in the 47% speech to his buddies.

o

...Nancy Pelosi is running for President?

o

Being so close to the election, if Mr. Romney hasn't seen a reason to disclose much of anything, I don't think there's a need to hold our collective breaths. We've been told more than once that all will be revealed after he becomes president. That would be a little late for many of us, methinks. The fat will already be in the fire.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 18:17

It's like being on the show "Let's Make a Deal. Do we want to keep the prize we already see on stage or trade it in for what's under mystery box #2 ?

Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan 2012
Big Surprise in Empty Package!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here