Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just Government and Stinky Diapers

Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 12:59

When do the needs of the many supersede the needs of the individual?
It seems to me that this is one of the "unspoken" issues that we as a society are currently facing.... unfettered individual "liberty" vs what is needed for the welfare, safety and security of the entire citizenry and country as a whole. Many of the economic conflicts we're currently seeing stem from this root cause... specifically taxes and regulation.

What is a just government's role in resolving the inevitable conflicts that arise between these competing needs? When should government intervene to preserve the common welfare and the common good? Or, are we all on our own?

OK for Driver to Kick Smelly Baby Off Seattle Bus
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM ET

SEATTLE (AP) � Metro Transit in Seattle has apologized but says it won't discipline the driver who asked a woman with a baby to get off a bus because of a stinky diaper.

Metro told KOMO (http://is.gd/ywJ5LB ) the driver did not violate policy when she acted for the comfort of other passengers.

An apology is not enough for the mother, Nichole Hakimian (hah-KIM'-ee-an), who threatens to sue.

She was taking her 1-year-old son to a clinic Tuesday when his diarrhea became an odor issue. She says the driver insisted she exit.

Hakimian says she found a place to change the baby and caught another bus to the clinic where her son was diagnosed with a stomach bug.

Metro says the driver is a nine-year employee with an excellent record.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just Government and Stinky Diapers

That's a really tough one. Given the fact that most people don't spend hours on a bus and that the baby was ill and the mother was taking him to a clinic, I would think it would have been more humane to worry about the needs of the mother and baby and endure some olfactory discomfort.

o

I would agree with Ingrid... when did our individual comfort override the needs of an innocent, and sick, child? The adults on that bus could have dealt with the sick child for the short ride to the clinic, where he obviously needed to go!

What is wrong with people? Grow up!

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 14:48

Interesting....

I think there are limits to the rights of individuals when it comes to the common good.

Sounds to me like the kid was a biohazard.

o

lol kwoods! Kinda my thoughts exactly. Not a big fan of baby miasma. But who am I to say "take a private cab instead!', either?

I wonder how this would be resolved in Europe or other places where very few people drive within cities and public transpo is much more frequented by everyone.

o

Two hour bus trip each way twice a week more or less with two transfers. Saves a lot of gas money but the drive would be 25 mins. Most buses smell like locker rooms and some of the passengers are street people that don't have access to showers as often as us "privileged" people. Crying children are difficult to bear but what can you do but try to entertain or ignore. Have seen some people that I would have kicked off, rude, scary or just too talkative. Only seen one kicked off for very loud verbal argument that looked to escalate to physical. Interesting people watching. If she had the means to change and bag up the leavings it would not have bothered me but some have sensitive olfactory responses.

o

As well as dealing with the sick baby the mother was PG with another child. She was 2 blocks from the clinic when asked to leave the bus. 2 blocks uphill with a sick toddler, pregnant. I think the driver could have taken her the 2 blocks.
At the same time I think the idea of sueing is ridiculous. A very sincere apology and maybe a bus pass would be plenty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here