Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A bright spot for Nik on immigration

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 13:40

Against the backdrop of Georgia's tough new immigration law, unprecedented numbers of foreign-born residents are taking the trouble to become U.S. citizens, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates analyzed by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The state saw an estimated increase of more than 43,000 naturalized citizens between 2010 and 2011, a surge of 13 percent. That put it in the top five among all states - along with Alabama, South Carolina and Utah, which are also among the handful of states that have passed laws designed to curb illegal immigration.

Fear of being questioned about their legal status is prompting more immigrants who are eligible for citizenship to complete the process, said Jerry Gonzalez, executive director of the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials.

"People can feel more protected if they become citizens," Gonzalez said. "It's a natural inclination for self-preservation."

Look how well that turned out. Now they can vote too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Atlanta paper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A bright spot for Nik on immigration

Yes that will help the Southern lock on the Conservative vote. Jeb Bush said that the minority will no longer be a minority and the party had to become more inclusive or they will not win elections.

The immigrants have been forced to unlock the gate. It is becoming harder and harder for the Conservative to take America back.

o

Actually, I think deportation was the hoped for result...

o

I was thinking the same thing, Jodi! You know, be careful what you wish for...

o

Thanks for that information, Esh. Neither of my DILs are US citizens, and I hope they will start working on their own US citizenship soon! When we all go out as a family, we look like our own little United Nations.

o

I know what you mean, Mik. My family too. A little difficult for one niece, as she's deaf and doesn't understand English yet. That's a tough one...

Fabulous news about the new numbers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here