Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voter turnout for this election

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 14:56

So ladies and gents, the last leg of the race has come. Time to put in your predictions for what the voter turnout for this race will be.

Think hard about what factors you believe will influence voter turnout this year.

Are people energized? Are the issues important enough to drive people to the voting stations? Are people to fatigued from a long and brutal campaign to care anymore? Have people given up hope that any politician will help them? Perhaps they don't like either choice and will refrain from voting?

Here are the historic voter turnout rates to help you in your guess.

1960- 63.11%
1964- 61.93%
1968- 60.83%
1972- 55.22%
1976- 53.53%
1980- 52.60%
1984- 53.11%
1988- 50.11%
1992- 55.10%
1996- 49.00%
2000- 51.21%
2004- 56.69%
2008- 57.37%

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voter turnout for this election

I am more worried about people getting to vote at all. There are apparently schools that are closed and will not be able open again until mid-November because they are currently unsafe. Unfortunately, that's where a lot of people vote.

o

I have to agree with jerzeegirl - were this an election without the powerful collision of Sandy likely impacting people's ability to even get to a polling place to cast a vote - I would have guessed the national voter turnout would be, at least, close to 1960's percentage.

Minnesota has taken the honors for highest general election turnouts in seven of eight elections... Maine beat us in 1992. We came in at 77.8% in 2008, followed by Wisconsin at 72.4% in 2008.

Unsure about Wisconsin, but some of the large turnout here is attributed to same day registration.

o

According to the Tampa Tribune, almost 25% of eligible voters in Hillsborough and Pasco Counties have already voted. Early voting started last Saturday.

ML

Here is a link that might be useful: Trib article

o

My guess would be at least 60% if not more. I believe the Democrats will turn out in large numbers because they are really terribly concerned that Romney might win.

o

Read the responses to the article. They are interesting. I had heard the President is doing better than they expected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here