Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dad's letter disowning his gay son goes viral

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 15:19

A heartbreaking letter, allegedly penned by an unsupportive father to his gay son, has gone viral in the blogosphere.

Originally uploaded to Reddit and posted by Athlete Ally founder (and HuffPost Gay Voices blogger) Hudson Taylor on his Facebook profile, the letter is addressed simply to "James," and it reads as follows:

"I hope your telephone call was not to receive my blessing for the degrading of your lifestyle. I have fond memories of our times together, but that is all in the past."

The letter -- since posted by Towleroad, Pink News, The New Civil Rights Movement, Truth Wins Out among other media outlets -- continues:

"You made your choice though wrong it may be. God did not intend for this unnatural lifestyle. If you choose not to attend my funeral, my friends and family will understand."

Here is a link that might be useful: linky linky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dad's letter disowning his gay son goes viral

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 15:24

Stupid decisions based on falsehoods. This is because the normal mode is for people to be motivated by emotion instead of (correct) information.

o

Honestly, I never know whether to believe these things or not - good or bad.

o

I think the point is that there are people out there in the real world who do feel that way and would write such a letter. Whether this particular one is real or not remains a mystery.

Either way, I always wonder at the kind of parent that can disown a child for any reason, let alone one that the child has no choice regarding.

I'd choose my children over anything a religion told me... that's for certain. And that's always where the point of contention is, it seems. I could never believe in a god that accepts alienating your offspring as a viable option.

It wouldn't matter if my kids were heroin addicts, federal prisoners, or had done something terrible... they're still my children. And no matter what, I love them and support them.

o

jodik, you left off "It wouldn't matter if my kids... became ill". I'm still pissed at those parents. Let your child die due to some twsited Religion. Nothing could keep me from my son!

o

And on the other foot:

"Last week, Expedia posted a commercial about a father attending his lesbian daughter's wedding and finally accepting her sexuality.

The description from the YouTube video says: "Every trip is unique. On this trip, Artie Goldstein travels across the country to attend his daughter's same-sex wedding, a journey that will test him, challenge him, and ultimately change him in unexpected ways."

The video currently has over 8,000 shares and 30,000 likes. It also has over 4,000 comments...

Here is a link that might be useful: Expedia

o

It was a fairly common practice years ago! I have no idea if that letters real or not. I do know I've heard endless tails of similar nature over the years but always look at it in the light of some folks had parents who screwed them over for marrying outside their religion or marrying outside their race. Still that doesn't reject you at the core of your being I never had that with my family as I came out 40 years ago with a major chip on my shoulder that said DEAL WITH IT or get the eff out of my life. I alwasy insisted in bringing home who ever I was going out with during the holidays (It was an intentional political act then)
There was also a row this week when Minnesota Vikings Punter went off on a Catholic Arch Bishop who was advising a mother that her own soul was in peril if she accepted her sons homosexuality. (of course he's preaching what he's paid to preach)

Chris Kluwe Fires Back At Archbishop Nienstadt

"Tell me, Archbishop, Pope, what purpose does the Church serve attempting to influence the affairs of a secular state? The federal benefits under law currently denied gay couples certainly fall under the realm of Caesar, don't they? No one is forcing the Catholic Church to marry gay couples if that is not the Church's wish. You can keep the sanctity of Catholic marriage solely between heterosexual couples if you feel that is what's required (again though, I caution you on the dangers of presumed infallibility). All we are asking is for you to extend the open hand of tolerance instead of the closed fist of fear and hate.

"As American citizens, we respect the right for everyone to practice whichever religion they so choose, including the right to not practice one at all. Haven't we learned enough from the Crusades, the Inquisitions, the Talibans of the world? What does it benefit the Church to attempt to influence secular policy in this country, especially when that influence is to deny basic human rights to others? Will you now assume Caesar's throne, grasping the transitory ephemera of worldly power and control, while forsaking the eternal kingdom of Heaven?" - Vikings punter Chris Kluwe, firing back at Minnesota Archbishop John Nienstadt's advice to reject gay children.

Our National Family in the Guise of that accursed party says you can come to the table but you must be living in an unrecognized relationship & be subject to our Supporters mythologies about how vile you all are. Ah well! Some Day's I just don't care and the only thin g that I have left is my anger.
"sometimes too much a sacrifice makes a stone of the heart"

I saw a lot of nasty family action during the height of the AIDS crisis a lot of greedy MF's showing up like a pack of Vultures to claim the few surviving possessions of children they criticized for their lives.

I threw one of MY AA sponsees mother's out of my apartment when she came to pay her final good byes to her precious son! Her daughter tried to keep her from comming but I told her I would put her up for a couple of days. (I had much better manners back then though they were important)
Btch walked into my home looked at my cat & said ohh cute little kitty cat your going to love it back home with me.
She then went picking through my home trying to figure out what belonged to her son.
Amazing how many lawsuits were launched against surviving partners by greedy effing parent's. You know the solution from enlightened forum folks. Get a lawyer to arrange all this in advance.

o

Yes, Robin... In fact, I love them so much that I'd seek out any treatment modern medicine had to offer to ensure their health, regardless of my own beliefs. When I became a mother I put myself aside. It was no longer about me, but about their well-being before me.

Joe, death under any circumstances does strange things to people. It brings out the true nature in some, and you are privy to their level of caring, which seems somehow diminished... and their level of greed, which seems somehow heightened. But under circumstances such as described, I couldn't imagine dishonoring the memory of a child through distorted views and beliefs.

I'd have done the same thing, Joe, without remembering my manners. Some people don't deserve the courtesy.

o

"Amazing how many lawsuits were launched against surviving partners by greedy effing parent's. You know the solution from enlightened forum folks. Get a lawyer to arrange all this in advance."

Amen!

These ugly & tragic things still happen.

A few years ago, I sold a home to a couple of guys, long-time partners.

At the closing, the guys' lawyer had some extra wording put into the documents to ward off potential problems (sorry, can't remember the wording, it sounded like legal mumbo-jumbo at the time, & anyway every state & maybe every situation is different).

I never knew whose parents/siblings/great-uncle was being ugly, but the homebuyers knew they had to protect themselves & each other.

The same advice or caution applies to anyone who is sharing life or resources or assets with another person.

GET A LAWYER IN ADVANCE.

"Family" can create the bitterest problems.

o

Thank You, Sylvia it's always best to have it in writing when a state has no marriage equality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here