Posted by maddielee 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 16:20

I wasn't expecting this...

ML

Here is a link that might be useful: Too Many Mitts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salt Lake Tribune endorses OBAMA!

That's surprising, well at least to me! Well written article.

o

Very surprising! Not only that they endorsed Obama, but how much they trashed Romney.

I guess we'll soon be hearing that the Salt Lake Tribune is part of the liberal media from the conservatives here. That's assuming they bother to read the link.

o

Wow, that's a big deal.

Nice wrap up:

Therefore, our endorsement must go to the incumbent, a competent leader who, against tough odds, has guided the country through catastrophe and set a course that, while rocky, is pointing toward a brighter day. The president has earned a second term. Romney, in whatever guise, does not deserve a first.

o

Wow. I guess they're not Mormon.

o

105,746 healthy daily Circulation for a small city!
NY post Daily Circulation is about 500,000 just as a comparrison!

o

So much for the "love of Romney" in Utah, Salt lake City no less.

The truth must really hurt. LIke a knife stabbed in and being twisted and turned.

Wonder what his campaign and supporters will say about this endorsement and how they will twist it and try to make it sound better than it does.

o

It is very surprising since Utah is over 90% Mormon and apparently it's extremely difficult for non-Mormons to find employment there.

I do take some issue that this is a "new" Romney who somehow morphed from the "other" Romney. He did not "save" the Olympics. 1.4 billion dollars of U.S. government money did. He was busy rudely berating a worker in the parking lot who was not doing his job correctly.

I think we've also heard enough about how well he (absentee) governed Massachusetts where a public elevator didn't even stop at his floor in the building. I have a feeling it's only recent events that have impinged on the consciousness of the people in Utah that has caused such a rude awakening. I think before that they just believed his statements, such as having "saved" the Olympics, and what a wonderful job he did as governor. After all, they were a long way from Massachusetts...

o

Not to mention he saved their bacon in the Olympics!

o

I doubt the papers' endorsement is going to change a whole lot of Utah voters minds.

o

Utah may have had 90 percent when they first landed, but for years it has been around 50. The church defines the numbers and many may not even attend. I lived in a small town for 7 years, of 3000 in town I was told that 2892 were Mormons. This is not unusual far north and south. I did not involve myself in their social life. But they were some of the best neighbors ever had and knew if one needed help, they would be there.

Also, I am female and had a position as director of over 40 employees at a company with 2500 plus. Times now are as tough there for employment as it is with the rest of the country.

My religion is "life" around me, not inside a church. It does surprise me though that the Deseret News has endorsed OB.

Here is a link that might be useful: Utah Mormon population stats

o

Did Deseret News endorse President Obama as well? Couldn't find anything online.

That would be a big deal, since the Mormon Church owns the thing.

o

Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: deseret endorsement

o

Apologies...Salt Lake endorsement link. But interesting both are on the same page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt Lake Tribune/NPR

o

A well written endorsement, for what it's worth. If it helps cement the progressive vote for a few more souls, then it was worth it.

I never place much of anything in who endorses who... it's basically just an agreement in policy.

o

I'm sorry that my statistics are so out of date - my bad. I used to visit the national parks there in the 70's at which time I think those statistics were true. I really hadn't read anything since then that seemed to indicate there was a great change, but I ignored the fact that many people were indeed looking for cheaper places to live, especially from expensive places like southern California, and Utah was one of the favored choices.

o

I know the Tribune and Deseret News collaborate with printing presses or something, but the Tribune is owned by some conglomerate and the Deseret News is owned by the church.

I could be wrong.

o

Nice editorial, but Utah will still be in Romney's column on election night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here