Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DOMA ruled unconstitutional

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 16:23

Good

A US appeals court in New York on Thursday ruled that a US law defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman unconstitutionally denies federal benefits to lawfully married same-sex couples.

We are voting on same-sex marriage here in Maryland, and it looks like it may pass.

Here is a link that might be useful: DOMA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DOMA ruled unconstitutional

Yes once again ruled unconstitutional!
"Homosexuals are not in a position to adequately protect themselves from the discriminatory wishes of the majoritarian public," wrote Dennis Jacobs, a conservative judge in New York. (another Bush appointee)
Thanks George your justices are doing well for my community & are in agreement with your wife!

Still that Republican turd ROMNEY promises something more dastardly than DOMA!
""I do not favor marriage between people of the same gender, and I do not favor civil unions if they are identical to marriage other than by name."

Having described himself as "one of the nation's leading advocates" against same-sex marriage, Mitt Romney is pushing discriminatory positions that make him more extreme than many in his party. Here's how Romney would roll back equal rights and stand against expansions of those rights in profound and fundamental ways.

Romney would amend the Constitution to discriminate against Americans for the first time in history

Romney vowed to "fight for a federal amendment [to the Constitution] that defines marriage as a relationship between a man and a woman." Such an amendment could prohibit committed gay and lesbian couples from marrying, and prevent courts from guaranteeing LGBT couples the same rights as their fellow Americans.
The amendment would override state laws allowing gay marriage and, if enacted, would be the first time in history that the U.S. Constitution was changed to deny rights and enshrine rather than eliminate discrimination against Americans.
Romney is out of the mainstream when it comes to guaranteeing rights for same-sex couples

Civil unions give same-sex couples fundamental rights to inherit property, access Medicare, obtain family-leave benefits, and in some states, take advantage of adoption and hospital visitation rights. Romney is "proud of the fact" that he has opposed same-sex marriage and civil unions "from day one." Instead, he believes that states should be allowed to roll back benefits for gay couples in domestic partnerships, including hospital visits. He said, "Each state can decide the benefits associated with people who live in domestic partnerships."
This opposition to civil unions puts Romney far to the right of former President George W. Bush and even many of his endorsers, including Gov. Chris Christie, Jon Huntsman, and Sen. Olympia Snowe. Huntsman said, "I think civil unions are fair. I support them. I think there's such a thing as equality under the law."
Romney personally donated to anti-gay groups seeking to roll back LGBT rights in states

Romney's Free and Strong America Super PAC donated $10,000 to the National Organization for Marriage, an anti-LGBT group dedicated to blocking progress on LGBT equality. The donation was made at the same time NOM pushed ads to support California's Proposition 8, which reversed the state court's decision to legalize gay marriage.
While President Obama stands on a long record of support for the LGBT community, Romney is seeking to make history with unprecedented efforts to deny equal rights for every American."

o

Of course a constitutional amendment is never as interesting as say 4 extra minutes in a debate or what an actress or honey boo boo said !
They used to call them activists judges but a good number of the decision makers so far have been considered conservatives or have been appointees of conservative presidents! Kind of blows that lie outta the water.
Also becomes embarrassing for the likes of a Scalia who reduces equality to a sodomy issue!

o

It's just sickening that we are even still having to discuss this. And Romney's position on this is disgraceful. And that people will still vote for him knowing he wants to REMOVE some people's right to equality is even more disgraceful.

I'm with Joe. Romney is a TURD!

o

I cannot believe how far behind the rest of the free world the US is with regard to this matter. As a matter of fact the States lines up more with the countries some would call enemies than they do with their allies...strange.

o

Anyone who wants laws which would discriminate against fellow American citizens enjoying the same rights which they, themselves enjoy, are (as Joe so aptly calls them) floaters.

I don't care if Romney's religion dictates that homosexuals are an abomination against his God. If he is in power, his responsibility is to his Mormon and Joe's gay community equally. An incredibly important part of his job is to see to it that no American is denied the rights that he, his wife and his children also enjoy.

It doesn't matter if he doesn't like it, it doesn't matter if he doesn't believe it or in it - what matters is that he must do it and see to it that other Americans do not bar Joe or any homosexual in this country the same rights he and his wife and his children enjoy.

If he can't bring himself to do so, then he doesn't belong in the job. It's that simple.

On a side note, I don't understand the anger in the insinuation that Joe and his partner and all homosexuals should not consider their relationship with the same sex partners as sacred as anyone elses. I dont understand it but I don't have to. What I have to do is either honor the sacredness of the love between them or, not look and not think about it or disregard it as important in my life.

What I cannot do is attempt to prevent such a relationship from forming or, if they decide to marry as did myself and my husband, that I do not attempt to hinder the marriage in any way.

If a church does not want to marry them, that is also O.K. with me. Churches don't have to and seem to be happy to announce so.
-But any person who is working from a tax paid building and is collecting tax dollars as a salary in order to marry American citizens as part of his job had better marry any homosexual couple that shows up (like any hetrosexual couple shows up) and if he or she does not, they should suffer legal consequences for the action.

Joe and Edd are American citizens as as such, are able to exercise any right as a citizen as myself and my husband is. It's not only unamerican and unpatriotic to attempt to prevent them from doing so, I hope I live to see that it's also against the law to do so.
I think it's highly probable that I WILL live to see such acts of legal discrimination come to an end. It's happening all the time.

People define their character they posess by what they do, what they say, what they remain silent about and what they support.

o

Again, I say... marriage is not a word owned or copyrighted by any religion or other group. Our LGBT community is not going to disappear, but will continue to grow. This is a fact.

With that said, it is highly discriminatory and wrong to continue on a bent against same sex marriage. When will people actually realize that everyone deserves the exact same rights, liberties, and freedoms? Everyone.

Why, in this, the 21st century, are we still holding prejudices against our fellow citizens, our fellow human beings? Why are we still separating groups of people based upon our own sense of fear and discomfort, or religious beliefs?

LGBT persons have as much right to happiness, to love, and to marry the person that makes them happy, just as I did and do.

These bigoted persons need to move into the real world, and stop discriminating against others. We can't, in all fairness, deny equal rights to any group of people!

o

Of course a constitutional amendment is never as interesting as say 4 extra minutes in a debate or what an actress or honey boo boo said !

We're living in a pop-culture trivial-pursuits society.

Very happy to see DOMA ruled unconstitutional.

o

People define their character they posess by what they do, what they say, what they remain silent about and what they support.

Well said mylab. So true.

Romney has certainly defined his character (as has the GOP party with their platform of discrimination), and it's not one I want to see in charge of this country.

o

It was a simple tax issue a legally married woman left an estate by her spouse forced to pay humndreds of thousands in taxes. You'd think the TEA PARTY crowd who supposedly were only ever intersted in fiscal issues would be right with this they haven't made a peep!
Edie Windsor 83 paid $363,000 in federal estate tax on her partner's estate (no equality in the law)
Judge ruled correctly & his reasoning is the same argument I have made on here for ages the Drag QUEEEN MAJORITY RULES is a totally hateful hag !

o

• Posted by ENMc none (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 19:05

Good for you, Joe! There really isn't any stopping it now!
Fantastic news!

E

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 6:13

I just saw this...........really, flat out unconstitutional?

Please, please, please, I have never asked this of anyone in my life:

Please don't vote for the party that would stop this. Please.

Tell your friends, neighbors, family. Make calls. Knock on doors. Be loud. Don't let this chance go by to legally make me equal. Please.

Republicans, please understand. Help us NOW. I want LEGAL RIGHTS to protect my family. Voting Republican now, in light of this, will forever deny us equality.

o

Deaf ears Batya the happy thinkers are telling me I should be dead 10 or 20 years & maybe then who knows the party will come around. Damn near took 20 years for them to turn around NYC & 40 years the state! I wouldn't hold my breath on this pack of scoundrels, money grubbers & religiously smug.
Damn Mormon & Catholic Churches have spent a fortune trying to prevent this either directly or through their surrogates.
You still have NOM trying to shield their donor lists though courts have time & time told them they must release them They simply refuse.

These posts have appeared here for over a year major constitutional news (crickets usually)

o

Yes, Joe, I've watched as thread after thread has slipped off the page, with a chorus of crickets sounding in the background.

o

Here in Washington State, we passed a law authorizing same sex marrige. The religious right then collected enough signatures to put an initative on the November ballot to prevent it from becoming law (Initative 74 if you want to look it up). The opponents to same sex marriage are using the same scare tactics they did in California & other states. They are running ads claiming the schools will be forced to teach gay lifestyle & that individuals that refuse to perform a wedding ceremony for gays can be sued. What a bunch of B-S! Right now the polls here show people are supporting the same sex marriage bill & I really hope no one believes the junk that these bigoted right wing Christians are spewing.

o

Epiphanies & evolution's are all well & good but the law must serve everyone & it doesn't! Court after court is recognizing this!

o

Bothell, there may yet be hope for Washington State. Here in Maine we had the first marriage equality legislation duly signed by a governor 3 years ago, but the law was then overturned by a trumped-up "people's initiative" funded by NOM and other out-of-state capital.

But we are now back on the ballot for November with a better-phrased and clearer proposition than before (last time a 'no' vote was FOR marriage equality and a 'yes' vote was against it, which confused a lot of folks), and things are looking quite positive.

Many in our state media have wondered why the issue was brought up for vote again so rapidly. But I think that keeping it in the spotlight is the right move -- easier to mount and maintain a constant stream of rebuttals to the misinformation these hate groups propagate.

For Maine, I think there's truly hope in November. We've worked very hard this time, the campaign leader is truly amazingly good, and there appears to be more acceptance where there was once flat-out denial. I'm even quietly hoping that Bill V might change his vote this time around.

(And I'm really not just saying all this because my partner will not marry me until all our gay friends can marry, too! )

o

the law must serve everyone & it doesn't! Court after court is recognizing this!

It's about time.

I guess better late than never.

o

I've watched as thread after thread has slipped off the page, with a chorus of crickets sounding in the background

Yup, and when I called it disgusting on another thread that no conservatives on this forum post on this topic and therefore one can only assume they are fine with the current discrimination...well, I got a lecture!

One day, and I truly believe that day is not too far off, all those on the wrong side of this issue will look very very bad.

o

circuspeanut: Good luck in Maine! I'll be checking for the results after the election. Everyone deserves the same rights and the same choices and that's why I support this issue.

o

Exactly, Bothell. Thankfully, I truly think it's a generational thing, and those who are made uncomfortable by gay marriage are aging, largely without passing along the prejudice, much as those who opposed interracial marriage did.

If marriage equality doesn't pass in ME, we're probably going to try to get a domestic partnership, which will be denied because we're heterosexual. My partner is then threatening to sue the state on the basis of "why do we have to get a marriage because we're straight? Why can't we get a DP if a DP is supposed to convey the exact same rights?" Stay tuned. *sigh*

o

Good thing. And 'bout time indeed.

I've watched as thread after thread has slipped off the page, with a chorus of crickets sounding in the background

The silence speaks volumes about their character.

Disgusting indeed.

o

The reason, in my view that the conservatives don't post on a thread like this is that they would either have to speak against gay marriage rights or they can't bring them selves to admit they agree with a liberal point of view.

o

Being called out for selling human rights down the river, for their personal gain no less.

o

They would have to mention god & the law in the same sentence!

o

I think it's a generational thing, unfortunately. No one alive today should have to wait so long for basic Civil Rights for all to become the law of the land.

o

The reason, in my view that the conservatives don't post on a thread like this is that they would either have to speak against gay marriage rights or they can't bring them selves to admit they agree with a liberal point of view.

I will add that if they were to speak out in favor of gay marriage, they'd be speaking out against the Republican platform on this issue. And for some reason I will never be able to understand, they are not able to do that.

Circus - that is very interesting. I would love to see how that went down! It would prove that domestic partnership is NOT the same as marriage as they try to claim. However, I hope that we never know the answer to that because I hope that marriage equality passes in Maine.

o

Okay... how, exactly, does a school teach 'gay lifestyle', and what exactly IS a 'gay lifestyle'?

Silly me... I've always been under the impression that lgbt persons are no different than I am, except for a slight biological quality, and as such, want the same things in life I do. Am I wrong?

I say this in a sarcastic vein, but truly, how do the fearful think that calling for legal equality across the board will negatively impact them in any way? I'm guessing... no, betting... that it doesn't, and it won't. It's all another excuse to coddle that personal comfort level complete with ignorance. We call it the "ick factor", and it's rife with stupidity, stagnancy, and unenlightenment.

I would wholeheartedly agree... no one should have to wait to gain equal rights! This is a ridiculous withholding that never should have been! No minority should have to bend to the will of anyone else! As human beings, we all deserve the same, exact rights and liberties!

As a matter of fact, one of the headlining articles in today's CNN Online News reads "3.4% of Americans Identify as LGBT"!

From the text: "Measuring the nation's gay population has always been tricky. Those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender are still subject to social stigma, and many are not comfortable answering questions about their identity.

But in the largest survey of its kind conducted by Gallup, 3.4% of all Americans identified themselves as part of the LGBT community."

This is from Gallup, no less. Imagine that.

I'm not sure what the anti-crowd thinks any anti-measures in legality will do... or what they think should happen to this specific portion of our population. Should government be grown to include prisons for gay persons? Should they all be locked away, out of sight/out of mind? And what about the ever-expanding lgbt population?

The truth is, lgbt persons are here to stay as a normal part of everyday society. Get used to it! Move over, move into reality, and quit hoarding human rights and equality for those looked upon as 'deserving'!

Here is a link that might be useful: 3.4%, People! No One Is Gonna Fade Away!

o

As Bothell said, it is the religious conservatives who are trying to get SS marriage outlawed here, and, I suspect, in the other states where it is on the ballot. In Minnesota, there is a constitutional amendment to outlaw it (along with another constitutional amendment to require voter ID).

The religious consesrvatives, who have aligned themsselves with the Republican party since the 1980's (remember the "Moral Majority"?) will be the downfall of this nation if they are allowed, unchecked, to determine the laws which govern us. I was disturbed before they even got the power they now have - basically it was the TV evangelists and the blind adherence of people (my inlaws, even) to what they preached. Remember Jimmy Swaggert, Rex Humbard, Tammy Faye and her philandering husband? The names have changed and the hatred has been ramped up but, still, people turn off their brains and send in their money.

And, then, there are the mega churches. It appears people just don't want the discomfort of thinking and analyzing and want to be told how to think about things they can't prove. I am quite fearful and, as I've said many times, glad I am the age that I am so I don't have to live with the results of these evil religious leaders and their adherent's influence on our lawmakers.

End of rant.

o

At the link is a great 3 minute video re the subject - be sure to stick around to the end.....

Here is a link that might be useful: linky

o

david, that was masterful. At first I thought, oh no, not another one of those evangelical throwbacks, do I have to listen to this and then.....well, I don't want to spoil it for everyone else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here