Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think I now understand how Obama might win.

Posted by CountrySunshine none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 16:23

He has somehow managed to find at least 9 more states to visit than the rest of us here in the USA...

My DD called Planned Parenhood to see about getting a Mammogram...and they told her they did not provide that service... hmmmmm could haved swore the president said they did for millions of women.. why not my DD...??

Here is a link that might be useful: 57 states plus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think I now understand how Obama might win.

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 16:36

Planned Parenthood does not do mammograms, they refer women to radiology centers that do them. Wasn't DD able to be referred?

Was your DD one of the people who called PP centers to ask for a mammogram to "prove that the President was lying" about PP giving mammograms?

o

Conspiracy!

o

You do know that you are referring to a mis-speak that happened over 4 years ago and was used repeatedly in the 2008 election season, don't you?

If we are going back in time, I would rather have a President who made this type of error then one who traveled hundreds of miles with his dog on the top of his car...

ML

o

No, Momj47... she is not a bit political..... and really isn't too terribly concerned about who wins the Presidential race... She just heard that Obama said Planned Parenhood provided mammagrams, and she is way past due for one... and so she called... She told me they were rather curt and just said they don't provide that service.. simple as that.. and no, she did not get a referral.. until she called the local hospital.. then she got lots of referrals for Primary Physicians, and OB/GYN's, etc.. She had just moved from Florida to Alabama...

All she really mentioned to me politically is that she can see why I don't like Obama.... since he misleads so many people with stories like that... but then so do 99% of the candidates seeking office of some kind....

o
RE: .I think I now understand how Obama might win.

From the Planned Parenthood website:

"Planned Parenthood doctors and nurses teach patients about breast care, connect patients to resources to help them get vital biopsies, ultrasounds, and mammograms, and follow up to make sure patients are cared for with the attention they need and deserve."

Here is a link that might be useful: List of services offered through Planned Parenthood

o

This reminds me of steaks at the checkout with food stamps posts!

o
RE: I?. think I now understand how Obama might win.

And by the way...there are 50 states.

57 minus the 9 you stated does not equal 50.

ML

o

PP provides referrals for mammograms. Is she over 40? That is usually the minimum age recommended unless there is a history of problems.

Please extend apologies to her for the misunderstanding. But Obama is right in one regard - if there were no PP clinics, then they could not provide the referral service.

But if she has health insurance, it is best to go to an OB-GYN and then get a mammogram referral from there. So she ended doing the right thing by getting referrals for a doctor.

o

This reminds me of steaks at the checkout with food stamps posts!

This reminds me of why reactionaries have the reputations they have.

-Ron-

o

Oh my goodness how many more days. I feel Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. If I only had a brain.

o

These wingnuts aren't very good at math...or maybe they don't know how many states there are. ...That would be 7 not 9. Such crap. If 57 states is all they have, they are desperately clinging to straws. Pathetic.

PP refers patients, they don't do mammograms.

o

Am I the only one who dounts the legitimacy of the entire story? It doesn't pass the smell test.

There are 2 PP's in Alabama. One in Mobile and the other in Birmingham. Both provide mammogram referrals for those who ask for them. Neither provides mammograms directly.

The following info is specific to this Health Center.
Women's Health Care in Birmingham, AL
Birmingham Center offers the following women's health services:

fibroids evaluation
mammogram referrals
urinary tract infections � testing and treatment
vaginal infections � testing and treatment

Our service schedule varies. Please call for more information.

Mobile Center offers the following women's health services:

fibroids evaluation
mammogram referrals
urinary tract infections � testing and treatment
vaginal infections � testing and treatment

Our service schedule varies. Please call for more information.

o

In some special cases PP does provide Mammograms-they have a few clinics in seriously underserved areas like some Native American reservations and other equally out of the way spots or use mammography Vans in those places but normally they refer to known local centers and can help a person find funding for Mammograms. I remember looking this up the last time this subject came up. The equipment is very expensive and frequently under used at the clinics where it is avaliable-which is why my local hospital sends out constant reminders. Why do our more conservative posters(and their families) always get such curt and unpleasant people when they call PP? We have had posters here who have used their services and found them pleasant and helpful? Strange

o

Well, for us women in TX, this isn't even an issue. Cause governor (P)rick Perry is getting rid of evil Planned Parenthood!! And to hell with other womens' health care too.

Gov. Rick Perry has stated it's important to ensure government funds don't prop up organizations that provide abortions, which he opposes.

o

And by the way...there are 50 states.
57 minus the 9 you stated does not equal 50.

ML

...That would be 7 not 9. Such crap. If 57 states is all they have, they are desperately clinging to straws. Pathetic.

He is indeed pathetic... you said it right...

He said "I have been in 57states, and have 1 left to go, but not allowed to go to Alaska or Hawaii.... so that adds up to:

57 + 1 + 2 + what? Do you still see 50 as the answer?

As for his misinformation regarding the military using less bayonets... well wrong again mr prez... they are using more than twice as many .....

And the lies or lack of interest in facts go on. and on, and on....

Romney is no less guilty of his misinformation and untruths.. but those are not my main concern...

o

Posted by petra 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 17:46

Well, for us women in TX, this isn't even an issue. Cause governor (P)rick Perry is getting rid of evil Planned Parenthood!! And to hell with other womens' health care too.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

Rick Perry has no power to "get rid of 'evil" Planned Parenthood."

Planned Parenthood is not a government organization, it is a non profit organization.

o

Big deal....Romney has his own freaking planet.

o

Geesh, a mis-statement made by a tired candidate years ago, and you are still bringing it up to prove he is ignorant and not qualified to be president. That is crazy! Besides, you know very well it was like a verbal typo--we all make them from time to time. No big deal--except in your mind.

And the modern military uses fewer horses and bayonets than the military did in 1916. That is true. But even it it weren't, its a minor, insignificant point. In fact, the point had nothing to do with bayonets or horses. It had to do with how different the modern technologically advanced military is in capabilities as compared to the limited capabilities of the 1916 military. And you know that is what they were really talking about, but you prefer to focus on immaterial details like bayonets instead of nuclear submarines. It is hardly bayonets that place our modern military on the cutting edge of progress and development.

So drop the dopey comments. They are irrelevant.

Kate

o

"He is indeed pathetic... you said it right...

He said "I have been in 57states, and have 1 left to go, but not allowed to go to Alaska or Hawaii.... so that adds up to:

57 + 1 + 2 + what? Do you still see 50 as the answer?"

Keep them coming. These are awesome. I thought we had some "out there" people before, but I severely underestimated the paranoia that exists in the US.

o

Romney is no less guilty of his misinformation and untruths.. but those are not my main concern.

But you only get one vote.

To many others Romney's continued lies, misinformation and distortions of are a concern and will determine who they cast their vote for. He needs their votes.

o

The U.S. Army discontinued bayonet instruction in 2010. The Marines are still trained with them but they are very rarely put to use in combat, which after all is what is meant by "using a weapon". So CountrySunshine, you are completely wrong in saying that they are being used more than ever. Hand-to-hand combat is very rare in the modern military and special forces like the SEALS are equipped with automated weapons that don't have a place to affix bayonets. It's a small point, but you get so many things wrong that I couldn't resist the temptation to correct you.

o

That's absolutely ridiculous.

Rick Perry has no power to "get rid of 'evil" Planned Parenthood."

Nothing ridiculous about it. He may not be able to "rid" his state of PP but he is doing everything possible to try by cutting support and excluding them from the state's WHP.

U.S. appeals court ruled yesterday that Texas can exclude Planned Parenthood from the state�s Women�s Health Program (WHP) because it provides abortions. WHP receives $5 million in state funding and $35 million in federal funding, which was withdrawn when officials learned Texas planned to ban Planned Parenthood. The Los Angeles Times reports that the three judge panel decided that Texas can restrict its $5 million contribution as it sees fit.

o

Yes, it is ridiculous--you just admitted that Rick Perry can't get rid of Planned Parenthood.

A private entity that can't make it without taxpayer dollars deserves to fail.

If you support Planned Parenthood, as I do, then donate to them.

Taxpayers should not be forced to have their money go to private organizations--particularly those of which they do not approve.

If people put their money where their mouth is, nothing Rick Perry said or could do could affect Planned Parenthood.

o

If you support Planned Parenthood, as I do, then donate to them.

Good for you Demi. They deserve support. I hope his year you gave/give them a sizeable increase and perhaps next time you could designate some of it to be used in Texas. They could use it.

Taxpayers should not be forced to have their money go to private organizations--particularly those of which they do not approve.

Taxpayers money is given to many many private organizations that run effective programs. No one is forced to fund anything they don't approve of. Abortions are not funded by taxpayer money (repeated AGAIN). Many other programs that are beneficial and needed by women are.

Planned Parenthood is now responsiible for covering the shortfall through private funders who are already overstretched. If they can't find replacement money then they can't run the program there or will be forced to cut some programs and downsize others.

The only losers are the women these facilities service.

o

I know, Epi, but I just don't believe the government should be subsidizing private businesses, even non profits.

As I've said before--I do not support businesses receiving taxpayer subsidies unless it is a matter of national emergency for food and/or fuel or some other emergency situation.

o

Why is it,,, if any of you can explain it... why is it... that when Obama mis speaks or says really dumb things that he should know about.. it is no big deal.. but if a Republican should mispeak, then whoa.. what a liar, he is horrible, flip floppy, wishy washy and the list goes on... But when your hero royally screws up...oh no biggie..

Why is it that liberals like so many that sit here all day and night with nothing more to do but think up evil plots to try to discredit anyone but the dummycratic party can't see that the wool is being pulled over your eyes...

Here is a link that might be useful: Someone better tell the marines they need newer equpment....

o

Is the government subsidizing PP or are they using PP as a provider of medical services like they would any other?

o

Educate me. I went to the web site and can't find where any of the pills, exams or any hands on things are free, but they do accept Medicaid, cash, check or charge. Is anything free besides any advice they may give out?

What I'm not understanding is we are giving them money to stay open and we are paying through Medicaid also? Please, explain because I seriously don't understand how PP works as far as who pays for what. I know years ago they use to give out free birth control and exams were free. I don't see "FREE" anywhere on services.

What I'm a bit confused about is if PP is only taking people with Medicaid and these same people have access to private doctors, why do we need PP? If it's for their counseling services, couldn't that be done over a phone or through a web site and again, we have other professionals available for that. I'm just trying to make sense of why we need PP.

The other day someone wrote a post declaring that because girls/women can get free BC, it was realized that the pregnancy rate was down. It was some study somewhere. If PP is giving out free BC, than why the continued high rate of pregnancies if free means less pregnancies?

o

Demi, I respect your opinion even though I don't agree. I believe that funding exceptional non-profits is a good use of federal funds. That does not mean ALL non-profits.

In this case, until we have other measures in place, what people like Perry are doing is hurting women. That should be unacceptable to all of us.

PP is a place many women go for emergencies. Sometimes it is the only place they have to go and I am not talking about abortions.

Men should not be playing politics with women's health. And no one should be supporting anyone that does, especially women.

o

Good question. Either way, why PP? Is PP filling a niche that nothing else can fill? And if so, why not? If it's for women's reproductive health, why not call it "HER" (Health for Her), or something along those lines? The very name antagonizes a lot of people (obviously). Maybe this needs further thought; some sort of compromise. Digging in and being totally closed to change sets the whole concept up for failure, and that's maybe a bad thing.

o

Digging in and being totally closed to change sets the whole concept up for failure, and that's maybe a bad thing.

That's precisely the Republican Party way and they've been highly successful (in their own, negative way) at it.

-Ron-

o

Yikes. Defensiveness is also a hurdle. And blame, gotta blame somebody, anybody else.

Good night.

o

Is PP filling a niche that nothing else can fill? And if so, why not?

You're seriously asking this? Because people like you consistently vote for politicians who are absolutely opposed to any form of federally unified health services, which could "fill that niche" by spending taxpayer dollars via the state rather than shelling it out to private companies and non-profits. As is, the state's hands are tied, thanks very much to your strange beliefs that nationalized health care is some big scary bogeyman.

o

With all the talk on the left about how much we need PP you mean to tell me no one is going to answer my questions so I can understand exactly what PP does.

What emergencies are you referring to? Again, I'm wondering are there hospitals, clinics, etc. out there to handle whatever it is that PP is handling?

Somebody???? Anybody?????? an answer please.

o

Oh please, ggm, you can figure this out for yourself. Don't act helpless.

o

My daughter uses Planned Parenthood because its far less expensive. The one she uses is $20 a visit. Versus $150 if she goes to a regular obgyn. She was telling me that its the same doctor in both places, just that the obgyn volunteers at PP one day a week.

As an under-insured college student on loans and part-time work, this makes a difference. Hopefully, with Obamacare, she'll be able to have her birth control pills - which costs $60 a month, covered by insurance. Prescribed, of course, because she has a history of ovarian cysts and irregular periods, not what the filthy-minded wingnuts imagine when they rip into women's health issues.

o

GGM you questions have already been answered on HT. Just read any one of the countless other threads over the last few years where this has already been discussed ad nauseum. Hot Topics has a search engine just for this. Use it.

o

When you ask disingenous questions, as elvis has (and so often does) and ggm has, you don't get answers. And then you wonder why?

o

I'm not helpless and thought, (silly me) that someone would be glad to educate me, but I see I was mistaken. I have never read the other threads on the subject. If you check my history on this forum you'll see I'm only around when it's election time. This is not a hang out for me normally.

Thank you David you've answered part of my question. So PP offers services at a discount to people without insurance, I didn't know that. Why does she have to pay full price for her birth control pills? They don't cover the cost of those? I remember years ago they did pay for birth control pills but that was some 35 years ago.

o

So does that mean on November 7th, GGM, you'll disappear from HT?

o

David, I understand about taking Birth Conrol pills for other than birth control....I took them for an ovarian cyst that was the size of a tangerine.. and although they made me sick to my stomach, the pills did eventually dissolve the cyst...

Planned parenthood has a myriad of wonderful services.. but abortion should not be one of them.... As someone asked me the other day... "Why is it that when a man kills a pregnant woman along with her unborn child, they are tried for double murder... but the doctor that kills only the child is paid for his crime... ???

o

Why does she have to pay full price for her birth control pills? They don't cover the cost of those?

No, neither Planned Parenthood nor her insurance cover the cost of the pills.

o
i should add

Its something for women to consider - if Romeny/Ryan and a republican congress do what they say they will do - defund planned parenthood and as well demolish Obamacare, then get ready to pay an awful lot more for all female health issues, and planned parenthood won't be there - or services greatly reduced - if you can't afford insurance.

Which is very likely the reason why Obama leads Romney with the women vote by some 30%

o

I do think if BC pills are needed for medical reasons then they should be covered for sure.

I have medication that my insurance company didn't want to cover and I had my doctor call to explain to them I needed that specific medication and why and they now cover part of the cost. So I'm happy for at least that much. They of course want patients to take the cheapest form of that medication, but sometimes that is not the one that works for the patient, as is the case with me.

I almost fainted when I read $60 for BC pills. Back in the day they were $13. LOL Now I'm really showing my age.

o

I do think if BC pills are needed for medical reasons then they should be covered for sure.

So why are you voting for Romney, who is against it?

o

Pregnancy is a medical condition!

o

I have to laugh when I think of private, for-profit health insurance doing their actuarial math - is it cheaper for us to cover birth control, or cheaper for us to cover pregnancies, birth, neonatal, etc? Gee, I wonder what they'd conclude.....

o

I asked in another subject posting you started and in case you miss it, I'll ask again.

Regarding Citywoman - are you related in any way - or know her well via e-mail or other political forums or in your life?

o

"Pregnancy is a medical condition!"

Pregnancy most certainly is not a medical condition.

o

lavenderlver.
Pregnancy most certainly is not a medical condition.

I hope you are not a woman. I cannot believe how uninformed people are about their bodies. Perhaps this is why the Rightwing so easily lead the blind. I am shocked daily of what is said on HT.

Do you imagine that women lay down after 9 mos in the middle of the woods and drop a child. No medical care necessary?
Many pregnant women have trouble finding insurance, because some companies consider pregnancy to be a pre-existing medical condition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pre-existing Medical Condition

o

Please reread your own link. Pay particular attention to the 'Features' and 'Misconceptions' sections.

Women fought long and hard for pregnancy to be considered a natural and healthy occurance and for it NOT to considered a medical condition which by nature, implies sickness.

Here's one definition of medical condition:

medical condition
A disease, illness, or injury Medical practice Any condition�eg, physiologic, mental, or psychologic conditions or disorders�eg, orthopedic, visual, speech, or hearing impairments, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, CA, CAD, DM, mental retardation, emotional or mental illness, specific learning disabilities, HIV disease, TB, drug addiction, alcoholism

Hope this helps!

o

You claim he said this years ago? Well, he might have a problem since he repeated it in the second debate.

At the second presidential debate, President Obama said that women "rely on" Planned Parenthood for mammograms.

You can fact ck it. Seems PP got quite a few calls after that debate.

o

Posted by mylab123 z5NW (My Page) on Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 17:06

"I asked in another subject posting you started and in case you miss it, I'll ask again.
Regarding Citywoman - are you related in any way - or know her well via e-mail or other political forums or in your life?"

I'm butting in. Hey! That's none of your beeswax. I think lily and marquest are the same poster, and boy, did I get heat for saying so. In fact, there are several posting under more than one name, IMO. Doesn't really matter, does it.

I think there are several on HT who confer privately. And? If that is their entertainment, so be it.

o

Why would anyone post under more than one name? Why do you think lily and marquest are the same? Of what possible use would that be? I also believe it's against the rules.

I would agree that several people here confer privately. I suspect it's on the side that I'm not on.

o

"Why would anyone post under more than one name?"

I can't be the only one wondering about that. To manipulate discussions, would be my first guess. In a variety of ways.

"Why do you think lily and marquest are the same?"

Just a hunch. Don't know if it's "against the rules" to use more than one name per person, and I hope wondering about it isn't against the rules. If it is, I imagine I'll hear about it, and that will be good to know. Frankly, you could be one person for each computer you use. Couldn't you?

"I would agree that several people here confer privately. I suspect it's on the side that I'm not on."

Agreed; only I feel that it's on the side I'm not on. Creepy, isn't it.

Does that mean we have something in common. As David would say: OMG OMG OMG.

o

Mylab was trying to be cute with that question.
Personally I think Mylab, Lily, Marquest epip and maddie
are quintuplets.

I have thought it since about the second week I read and contributed.

They were so close in the womb they still think alike and
have the same style and always have each others back.
Even if one is wrong they will line up to bat.

The same snark...my gosh....now that I think about it...
I think they are one person....I just have to figure out how they do it.

o

By medical condition I mean a physical state that benefits from professional medical attention for a vast number of reasons that benefit mother and child.

o

By medical condition I mean a physical state that benefits from professional medical attention for a vast number of reasons that benefit mother and child.

o

I happen to think CW, Brat, Elvis, GGM and Sunshine are quintuplets.

Marquest, because we both live in PA, both are Democrats, we are one and the same. Elvis, get a real life.

o

Do you mean preventative care chase? Preventative care is very different than someone being prescibed bcp for heavy and painful bleeding during menstration or for ovarian cysts or for blood disorders. These things are medical conditions.

Having a baby in one's belly is not a medical condition.

o

No I mean what I said, medical conditions arising from, or happening during, attributable to a pregnancy. Things High blood pressure, preeclampsia, placenta privia, toxemia, gestational diabetes etc.

Split hairs with me on my choice of words if you will. My point is that pregnancy requires prenatal medical care for health of the mother and the child.

o

No, I do not know, email or confer with citywoman or anyone else on this forum privately.... why would I, when this is an open bored...??? As an Ultra Conservative Republican, I need only one ID....

You say you see similarities... well perhaps that is because we see "the man" for who h e really is and not as some fantasy savior of Gomorrah... (although it appears th at many of his key advisors come from that area )

o

• Posted by ENMc none (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 11:27

"The same snark...my gosh....now that I think about it...
I think they are one person....I just have to figure out how they do it."

Figure it out? Why is that?

That would be the very same way you do it, citywoman2012, ladybrat, luvmyhome, flagypsy.

E

o

They all do sound like one in the same, don't they ENMc?

o

We are "bored" when you speak , CS ,you got that right.

o

He might win because ... more people vote for him!!

o

ciruspeanut, I would never vote for a president based on his decision regarding who will pay for birth control pills or the abortion issues and I cannot believe some people will. There you would definitely have that "dumbing down" spoken of on other threads.

For me it's the economy. I care about other things but they are not the forefront of who I vote for.

o

Oh..lily, lily, lily.... Do you really think I care if you are bored? This place has become boring.. it is the same old lib lies, over and over and over again... You folks keep defending a trash talking, liar all the while pointing out others lies... Oh your main man's lies are okay, after all he sanctions murder, and abominable acts..but oh my should another candidate stretch the truth, (which I agree he does ) then you play that oh so holy race card... every time...
You are in love with a Muslim president that is endorsed by the communist party, Hugo Chavez, Putin, hamas, and Fidel Castro....

IMHO, when it comes to our presidential candidates, those two horses, albeit a different color, came out of the same stable... but I will vote for Romney ... not because he is white.. but because I just cannot for the life of me recall a Mormon sanctioning the murder of our children, or abominations.....

"I think they are one person....I just have to figure out how they do it."

I will tell you... sshhhh,,, it's a secret really... it's called "Time Travel"...

I figure if you believe what Obama is telling you, then my time travel comment would be belie3vablwe to you..

Now go back to sipping your Obama Kool-aid dear hearts..

o

The birth control argument is a red herring but no matter how often the facts are laid out some just can't let it go.

On the other hand the abortion issue is very real. I think there are women who really don't understand that a woman's right to choose is in serious jeopardy. There are conservatives on this very forum who have said that Romney would not be able to do anything to interfere with the existing laws. Nothing could be further from the truth, he can and he will.

o

For me it's the economy. I care about other things but they are not the forefront of who I vote for.

greatgollymolly, Seems you fall in that low information group. Your health is the economy. It is sad that you appear to not know that fact. That is another rightwing talking point that they keep telling you it is the :"economy". It is more than a word it has arms that reach and touch many things.

Do you know if some one says to you it is about the hands..... but what good is the hand without the arm, what good is the arm without the body, what good is the body without the BRAIN. A brain is a terrible thing to waste,

But you will vote for word that someone told you. It may be too hard for you to do some research. That is okay we will see Nov 6 how many used their BRAIN!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here