Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flip Flop, Flip Flop.........FEMA

Posted by ann_t 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 16:23

I'm trying to decide if he is a flip flopper, or just a very slow thinker. Wouldn't answer any questions yesterday, regardless of how many times the question was asked. But today..........well now he is going to fund FEMA. I guess someone finally told him what to say.

Romney's campaign on Wednesday released a statement to clarify his stance.

"I believe that FEMA plays a key role in working with states and localities to prepare for and respond to natural disasters," Romney's statement said. "As president, I will ensure FEMA has the funding it needs to fulfill its mission, while directing maximum resources to the first responders who work tirelessly to help those in need, because states and localities are in the best position to get aid to the individuals and communities affected by natural disasters."

Here is a link that might be useful: FEMA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flip Flop, Flip Flop.........FEMA

He's a flip flop, a liar, a self centered, egotistical, narcicist that would be the worst thing this country has seen for a president.

IMHO, having had the unfortunate experience of having him as governor of my state, he would make GWB almost look good.

There are some people in MA that actually think that Romney suffers from mild dementia.

o

How can anyone believe this guy, seriously?

I do not remember such a LIAR in my entire voting life.

THAT may be the reason that Christie is staying away from Romney.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 16:35

It's about damn time.

o

It won't matter if he flips himself over. They don't care. As long as it's not Obama, they are good with it.

Most conservative voters in this forum have said exactly that many many times - nearly all of them. One even stated - many times, that given the chance she would vote for Bush/Cheney again--- yes, the same team that brought you two (Count 'em! Two!) wars, and tens of thousands of deaths by those same wars, while in power. With nary a single WMD to be found, ever.

If that doesn't give you the accurate soul/mind set of the vast majority of conservatives this forum, I don't know what would.

The same soul/mind set who virtually ignored the conservative who was actually and truly a real and honest conservative - Huntsman. Please do bring up Huntsman's announcement speech given in front of the Statue of Liberty. Read what this honestly true conservative had to say about Obama It will explain why they ignored him.

I know it's hard to grasp Ann, but that's the way conservatives approach "what's best for this country" these days. They declare Obama the worst president in history and then announce they will vote for anyone but him. They would have voted for the 999pizza guy rather than Obama. The same one who would vote for Bush/Cheney - again - was VERY enthusiastic about the 999pizza guy after reading his silly 999pizza book. I'm not kidding, this actually took place in this forum.

And it wasnt country or city or golly either.

That is who the conservative voter of today is. And you have figured out that she is not the most outrageous one in here, not at all.

When their own reps said, nearly four years ago, that they would work to undo every single accomplishment their President attempted (and then went out and tried to do exactly that) you did not hear outrage, you heard support. Even when it was to their own benefit, they wanted the President to be thwarted. Even when it brought this country to a standstill, this is what pleased them to no end.

That is what makes up the GOP supporters these days. The politicians in the GOP are simply a reflection of who votes for them. The majority conservative voter courted that sort of rep because they wanted accurate representation - which they certainly now have.

All we can hope for is that there are enough conservatives who are appalled by what their party's people and reps have become that they will do what they can to get rid of who and what the GOP supports in terms of voters and politicians.

Voting for Obama would be the first good start, I know of two conservatives who have told me they are doing exactly that - including my own DH. Not enough of course, but if the democrats come out to vote in great numbers - that plus those conservatives who will themselves do anything to turn the party around - maybe it will be enough to win the election.

No way of knowing until after all the votes have been counted, though. And then, what will be will be.

o

It won't matter if he flips himself over. They don't care. As long as it's not Obama, they are good with it.

Right Wing ideology and bigotry motivate Republicans to vote against their self-interest.

It is so disappointing to see so many GOPers will vote for a plutocrat vulture capitalist who is the embodiment of outsourcing, monopolization, privatization and corporate greed.

o

I did not see this post I added it to another post but.....

It took him 2 days to decide if he was for it or against it. Can you imagine him deciding if the city should get help or pull yourself up by you boot straps.

o

So in response? Here's what the conservative sites are pushing now:

Obama's Sequester Proposal Slashes Funds for FEMA, Disaster Relief

I keep thinking they can't go any lower but somehow they manage to go lower.

-Ron-

o

Romney didn't say he would get rid of FEMA.......ever.
He said he would restructure FEMA.

He is repeating what he said
Romney and Ryan (in his House budget) also propose deep cuts to domestic spending. While Ryan doesn�t single out FEMA for cuts, he doesn�t exempt it either, suggesting that the agency could still be at risk for cutbacks under the House GOP.

o

He absolutely did not say he would restructure FEMA. He said he would give it to the states and it would be even better to privatize it. Here is the clip.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

For those not into clicking on links to videos, here is an excerpt from the transcript--when Romney was being asked questions about FEMA after the Joplin, Mo. tornado (Joplin is very close to where I live.).

Moderator John King turned to Mr. Romney and asked him about disaster relief, following the tornado that struck Joplin, Mo., the month before.

"FEMA is about to run out of money, and there are some people who say do it on a case-by-case basis and some people who say, you know, maybe we're learning a lesson here that the states should take on more of this role," Mr. King said. "How do you deal with something like that?"

Romney's response: "Absolutely. Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that's the right direction. And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that's even better.

"Instead of thinking in the federal budget, what we should cut -- we should ask ourselves the opposite question," Romney continued. "What should we keep? We should take all of what we're doing at the federal level and say, what are the things we're doing that we don't have to do? And those things we've got to stop doing, because we're borrowing $1.6 trillion more this year than we're taking in. We cannot ..."

Watch the video. John King pressed Romney even further about what should be the fate of FEMA.

Guess you were wrong again, CW, when you said "Romney didn't say he would get rid of FEMA.......ever.
He said he would restructure FEMA."

Let's face it--Romney does not represent the views you think he does.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Did Mitt Romney suggest eliminating FEMA? (+video)

o

And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that's even better.

That can't, by any stretch of the imagination, be called restructuring. Sending it back (huh?) to the private sector means giving it over to profit-making corporations. That would work out so well. "Hello, Halliburton? I need someone to rescue me from my roof. My credit card number? uhh, it's in the flood waters somewhere."

o

At least Mitt will answer the questions. I'm still waiting for your president to explain the death of those 4 men in Benghazi and why he lied about the incident.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 19:22

Yes, he did say he wants to shut down FEMA. Mitt Romney was asked, in the context of the Joplin disaster and FEMA's cash crunch, whether the agency should be shuttered so that states can individually take over responsibility for disaster response.
"Absolutely,"

It's becoming clear that the tragedy in Benghazi has become the GOP distraction issue - no matter what anyone says about anything concerning the Romney campaign, yell at them about Libya.

To trivialize these murders like this insults these brave men and their tragic deaths, and shows no respect for their families and the heartbreak they must be feeling.

This strategy must have been promoted in one of those morning emails one of "the girls" boasted about.

o

Posted by greatgollymolly (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 19:05

At least Mitt will answer the questions.

Too funny!!! You are joking right? Romney was asked more than a dozen questions yesterday about FEMA and he refused to answer any of them.

The only reason he made today's statement was because Gov. Christie and President Obama were getting all the attention today. And FEMA is getting great press.

o

I'm still waiting for your president

GGM, are you a resident alien living in the USA?

Geez, GGM is not a US citizen. Why else would she say "I'm still waiting for your president"?

Unless that is just another way to insult the Office of the President of the United States, and the President of the United States all at one time.

o

To trivialize these murders like this insults these brave men and their tragic deaths, and shows no respect for their families and the heartbreak they must be feeling.

Yes Mom most of us just carry on with the conversation. The reason...... They have a flawed losing candidate and they are angry.

When they do not have an answer for the subject it is all they have to offer. They know you are right when they post that issue. 'if they thought you were wrong they would argue the subject.

Respect for the families and the death is something some have no idea. It is trivial and sick. My daughter says.....It is what it is...

o

They ARE getting nastier and nastier. They see what a loser they have for a candidate.

o

Let's talk about how Mitt Romney respected them. He tried to use one of the former Seals who died in his campaign. Pretending that they were friends when in fact he met him at a function & didn't remember him 20 minutes later! That Seal's family spoke up & said they wanted Mitt to stop using their son for his political gain. SHAME on MITT.

o

I didn't vote for him so I don't consider him my president. His presidency has had a horrible negative affect on this economy that has affected me and my family. No, I do not have any respect for him or his office.

Mitt Romney may lose this presidency but he's already proven in life he'll never be a loser.

o

Mitt Romney may lose this presidency but he's already proven in life he'll never be a loser.

So do you feel because you and your family are not successful that you are losers because Romney is successful? Is that the bench mark to prove you are a loser in life?

o

Funny about that one. Most of MA considers their past governor, Mitt Romney, a loser in more ways than one.

Hindsight is the best teacher. MA learned the hard way, when there where just enough votes to put Romney in the corner office.

It wasn't long, though, before those that did put him there, regretted that decision.

And no, GGM, I was not one of them that put him there. Funny thing, I don't know one person that did.

o

I didn't vote for him so I don't consider him my president.

There you go. That's how America gets divided. Not by what Obama does, but by how Americans that didn't vote for him consider the office of the President.

o

I didn't vote for the idiots that crashed our economy, started unnecessary wars, or did things I didn't agree with, either, but I still considered them my Presidents... because I'm a citizen of this country, and I respect the Office of President. It's what any normal thinking citizen with certain values does.

o

Thanks Jodik, you took the words right off of my computer keyboard.

Now why am I not surprised about GGM's comment about the president?

o

"I didn't vote for him so I don't consider him my president."

Is that your definition of democracy, GGM? Presidents can be elected only by you and those who think like you do.
Nobody else gets a voice.
I think that's shameful.

o

Woah!

I always thought one of the pillars of American democracy was deference to the choice of the majority....and I was slammed for asking how America will heal.

o

GGM, that is the most unpatriotic thing I have ever heard. You must hate America.

Next Wednesday, regardless of who wins, he will be our President. That's how it works here.

o

Whoa just a moment. So if he doesn't want to shut down FEMA, but he does want to cut it, why the heck does he want to cut it? I can't see any reason for that. I have used FEMA in the past couple of years. They made me jump through so many hoops and some FEMA person actually came to see in person what was going on, I just don't see how anyone could scam them. So what's he cutting?

o

GGM, that's so 1992, right wingnuts said that about Clinton. And it's incredibly disloyal. I guess you're not his citizen either.

"You guys" won't be happy until you've destroyed America by turning it into a Fascist Plutocracy.

o

""You guys" won't be happy until you've destroyed America by turning it into a Fascist Plutocracy."
I agree, but I doubt GGM knows what a Fascist Plutocracy is, and I doubt she cares to educate herself.
If it ain't on Fox, it just can't be real.

o

That should be: Theocratic Fascist Plutocracy. Can't forget about the god stuff they want to infuse via forced IV!

Avarice, gluttony, and a few other things will not only be the ruination of America, but of the entire planet as we know it. While we're sinking ever deeper into the loss of our democratic republic, the rest of the globe will be dragged down after us... or along with us; we are not an island, as the saying goes.

o

Jodik, I think I'd put stupidity in first place. But then, stupidity can so easily lead to avarice and gluttony.

o

OH, I think sloth is right up there.

o

I didn't vote for him so I don't consider him my president.

Sorry there is no words to describe this ignorance.

o

How right you are, Nina... imbecility or asininity should be a modern day addition, making it a total of eight deadly sins.

o

Only a retired person could put sloth right up there and not see the irony of her words. What's the matter - everybody else is not working hard enough to suit you?

o

It's upsetting to a retired person to see a sloth just hanging about doing nothing.

o

Hey, hanging upside down is very hard work! I'm using all of my major muscle groups!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here