Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dhimmitude

Posted by dockside (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 16:42

I got another email this morning, from some friends in Wyoming titled "dhimmitude". It was an anti-Obama rant, saying the ACA has this word in it (it doesn't) and that it means that Muslims will be exempted from the ACA but that Christians and Jews will not be. There is a Snopes citation at the end and, when it was clicked, it said "False".

What is it with people who will send along such tripe without checking the facts? I, of course, replied to "all" (there were a lot that got my reply) saying that it was false and then telling everyone how the ACA will save us thousands of dollars and that we will be voting for Obama.

I got an email from one of the people who received my reply, saying that the 'dhimmitude" email was a lot of bovine ka-ka and that he felt we, as a people, would ultimately destroy ourselves if we didn't stop fighting over every little thing. He was also distressed about the anti-Muslim hate. He closed by saying that he was writing this as a former life-long Republican who could not stomach what the Republicans had become.

I intend to "reply all" to all of these emails that I get that are nothing but "bovine ka-ka". Maybe it will get through to just one or two people. At least, I won't let anyone think I am in agreement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dhimmitude

People think if they just include a link to the Snopes website that people will assume that means Snopes has validated it as TRUE. I guess they assume (rightly?) that people don't take the extra moment to verify it by clicking.

I think this just proves that people are too DIM to figure it out for themselves. The American people got "dim-i-tude" alright and it ain't pretty.

o

Fortunately I haven't had those kinds of e-mails, but if I did I would do the same as you, dockside. The truth has to be heard by as many people as possible. Even if only one person believes you, they may transmit that information to any number of other people. This election is too important not to take every possible opportunity to set the record straight, and there is only so much time left in which to do it.

o

I have yet to get an inflammatory rightie email. I never let them slide...always return a detailed reply disputing the facts. Have you noticed that some of the Teaparty crowd are illiterate. I have never seen such poorly worded or misspelled crap they put out there.

Of course I do my campaigning on FB, and I did see some acquaintance unfriended me...a deeply religious very Rightie. Oh well...

o

Want bizarre , I get emails from the right! Must say some of them are eye popping. I've never received any email from the left......maybe I'm not left enough. LOL

o

We got this a few times on here last election cycle those idiots are gone or have new names!

o

Have you noticed that some of the Teaparty crowd are illiterate.

That is not a mystery. Santorum was very clear how you are able to control. If you are illiterate you can be told what to think.

It is dumb down America. The good thing is the solid red states only have 3 and 6 Electoral votes Texas have 38 but the way they have closed their base to so few even Jeb Bush said it will not be long before they lose that state..

If the President holds Ohio Romney's chances are slim. The more they push their hate and lies the more the moderate voters are turning out for the President, People do not like that divisive talk.

o

If I get some new "information" via email; medical, political or just unusual, I check it out with Snopes. If it's not true, I tell them that. Easy. My friends and family are a United Nations of ethnic origins and subscribe to various political parties. It's not up to me to educate them with a lecture. The fact that I love them is enough.

o

It's not up to me to educate them with a lecture. The fact that I love them is enough.

Amen.

o

Didn't anyone get my pun? I'm so disappointed ....

o

Somehow skipped it.
Sorry.

Pat on the head, esh. ;)

o

some people need to be LED!

o

Thanks demi, I worked so hard on that.

o

I proud of you, esh_ga! True Pun=ditry

o

Bravo, esh and marshall. We need some levity (once you've pointed our noses in the right direction, duh, feeling a little dim myself).

o

Dhimmitude? - "an attitude of concession, surrender and appeasement towards Islamic demands".

Okay. And how does that connect in any way to Democrats or the President? It doesn't. What it does connect to is the silly paranoia that Obama is somehow (gasp!) Muslim, though how this impacts anything, I have yet to see or understand.

Ya, Dockside... don't you just love getting those mega-header emails, complete with viral infections, that commence slaying anything and everything Obama or Democrat, as though those were the absolute worst things to ever be? I respond, too... with the truth, and it normally only takes one response to effectively remove my email address from the list, and any future mailings.

Usually, whomever wrote such tripe is counting on the fact that you won't check the Snopes link to see that the included tidbit did not, in fact, pass muster. They are counting on your acquiescence, your acceptance of everything they wrote, without checking any facts or thinking critically and rationally. They're counting on your reactionary outrage, your prejudices, your ignorance, and your willingness to go along with the crowd. That's the only way the header can grow from a small group to one large enough to satisfy the twisted writer and whomever inserted the virus into the body of the email.

I would use the term "bovine ka-ka", except it would be an insult to cows and to good, rich, loamy, composted manure produced by those cows... which does the garden a world of good!

I do like Esh's pun, though, especially since we don't ordinarily get to use such words as dhimmitude!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here