Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Debate and time allotted

Posted by monablair none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 16:56

If a certain amount of time is allotted to each speaker, and each one seems to go over his time, then why not just turn off the speaker's microphone when time has expired?
It would eliminate questions about who got more speaking time, wouldn't it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Debate and time allotted

I thought about that too.

o

Allowing them to go over or the manner in which they go over may give the listener insight into character (just a wild idea)

o

Mona, very good question.
I started to say thats why they needed to let a woman
run the debate..............but......they did........
and she still screwed up!

o

The strict time constraint would force each candidate to answer the question directly without rambling about the opponent's shortcomings.

o

Yes it would and I mentioned that to hubby last night.

On the other hand, one would have to remember to turn the mic back on in time so that time wasn't lost to the candidate.

Now I had another idea, that would be shocking, to say the least, but would sure as heck get the attention of both candidates and maybe stop the problems.

The candidates agree to follow a certain set of rules for each debate, and the moderator is supposed to be able to control the debate.

So what happens when the candidates decide to not follow the rules that they agreed to and the moderator can't control the situation?

How about the moderator does this.

Throws up his/her arms and says something like.

"OK, you both agreed to follow the rules that you agreed to and since you refuse, will not listen to me, continue to go at each other, I'm out of here, have a good time," and the moderator gets up and starts to leave.

I would surmise, that if that was attempted, both candidates would be so stunned, the audience would be so stunned, that the moderator would then have total control again and the absurdity just might. end.

Nothing else has worked most of the time with these debates, so time to take some serious action instead of just letting things happen.

We the people that are going to vote, deserve to see and hear a debate with issues discussed, not the absurdities that keep going on.

o

I was flipping through the channels covering the debate, and noticed that certain stations had different angles - some showed a time clock that turned red when there were few seconds left - ignored anyway, but they could see a timer.

Also, some stations were running a split screen showing who ever was talking, and the other guy sitting stone-faced and listening, some were not.

But really, all these debates are a charade - they practice their soundbites for days or weeks ahead of time, work up on 'zingers' and dubious 'facts', and ignore pretty much all the questions and carry on with their respective agendas.

I did note that at least at the beginning, the moderator asked Romney if he'd please answer the question.

/so next day, outraged cries from FOX about how biased she was

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 17:31

The moderator needs remote controlled tazers attached to their microphones....double volts on Romney's.

Mitt Romney 2012
You'll Be Shocked!

o

I wished that the person that asked the question would stand up and exclaim "but you didn't answer my questions!" at the end of each round. I was imagining the shock on their faces if he/she did that!

o

At first I could see the clock, then I couldn't for most of the time. When I did see it, Romney kept on blabbing even though Candy tried to stop him. It's his elitist attitude, macho male, no woman will tell HIM what to do. Turning off the mics sounds like a good plan. They'd soon learn to keep within their time.

o

Amazing how Obama consistently gets more time than Romney. Probably just an accident.

o

What was the total overage, nik?

o

There was even that time when Romney handed the debate over to Obama (when they were discussing energy). He asked Obama a question and then had to let Obama answer it. Jeesh, if you give away your time, you have no one to blame but yourself.

o

I would be for that. I think it's a good idea.

It was very annoying.

Although the tazers is an interesting idea :-)

o

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 17:52

What was the total overage, nik?

The president had a little less than 4 minutes more than Romney.

o

Well, I believe that Governor Romney should be even more forceful, be even more interruptive of the President and moderator, and demand equal time. Maybe take off his shoe and pound the podium. Or maybe get down on the floor and throw a tantrum.

o

Like a Krushchev shoe-throwing thing. I've seen that tape; I liked it. ;D

o

"The president had a little less than 4 minutes more than Romney."

Yep. Each side started out with an equal number of two minute segments in which to speak.

By the time the debate ended, Crowley had transferred almost two full segments belonging to Romney over to Obama without missing a beat. It's called redistribution. Obama got the special treatment he has enjoyed all his life. Nothing new. But Americans did get to see how the con works.

Had enough?

o

Well it clearly shows that if elected, a future President Romney would just get pushed around by Ayatollahs and other people with funny Muslim names.

o

Yes, and they're STILL making excuses for Obama after that preferential treatment, redistribution of "fairness" and water carrying, and lying for him.

Way to go Crowley, your big break and you pimped yourself for millions to see!

Yea, nik, I've had enough.

o

However it seems half of your fellow Americans have not had enough. They believe that the President is the best choice for the middle class and preservation of the social safety nets of Medicare and SS.

HALF is a big number.....especially when they are mostly in the swing States.

o

I know!!! It was like so HILARIOUS when she fact-checked Romney in the middle of his attack about Libya - and I just LOVED how Obama said: "Please proceed, Governor" as Romney danced on the graves of dead Americans to make some political point. Walked into that punch, for sure.

o

Again, if conservatives want debates to "go their way", start one yourself. No one is stopping you.

o

Stop complaining and take some personal responsibility to do it yourself! Sheesh.

o
Debates: Dems get preferential treatment

"Yes, and they're STILL making excuses for Obama after that preferential treatment, redistribution of "fairness" and water carrying, and lying for him.

Yea, nik, I've had enough."

More and more Americans agree with you!

Here is more information on time stolen from Romney and redistributed to Obama.

FTA: "If you want more time to get your message out in debates, its good to be a Democrat.

According to the CNN debate clock, President Obama spoke at greater length than Mitt Romney during both debates, as did Vice President Biden during his debate with Paul Ryan. In the first debate, Obama spoke for 3 minutes, 14 seconds more than Romney which means he got 8 percent more talking time than Romney. In last nights debate, Obama spoke for 4 minutes and 18 seconds longer than Romney, giving him 11 percent more talking time. Obama talked for 52 percent of the time when either man had the floor, while Romney talked for 47 percent.

During the vice presidential debate, the gap wasnt as wide: Biden spoke for 1 minute, 22 seconds more than Ryan. Still, that gave Biden 3 percent more speaking time than Ryan."

Here is a link that might be useful: Debates: Dems got extra time every time

o

"Still, that gave Biden 3 percent more speaking time than Ryan."

Ah, the humanity!

o

nik, take some personal responsibility and get a debate moderated by conservatives.

o

Rush Limbaugh would make a great moderator.

o

That would be 90 minutes of Rush screed time.

Jeez - would they have to peel him out of one of those horizontally striped shirts for the event?

o

Count the words spoken. Obama is slow on the uptake. Romney rattles off his rehearsed and re-rehearsed spiel and rattles it off a mile a minute. Obama is a slow speaker and gives thought to his words. Count the words. You'll see Romney got more in.

o

That we can agree on--Obama IS slow.

Slow to do what he said he'd do in 2008.

o

Privilege sucks! No matter what form it takes! Inequality sucks & the yahoos are burning over a small matter of a few minutes!
Yep inequality in anything SUCKS!
That loser Romney is a primary supporter of inequality & That Sucks! I don't wish the man an extra second of anything on this planet unless it's suffering!

o

The latest excuse for Candy Crowly redistributing Romney's time to Obama is that Obama spoke more slowly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Obama slow talker

o

Well, he is. Romney speaks in his fast staccato way, so he doesn't forget the weeks of prep debate points.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here