Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Stamp recipients that are honest

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 17:01

To illustrate the other side of the coin, and in proof that I never have and do not lump all people in any particular group or assign dishonest motives to everyone in the food stamp program, we have an update from the television station that covered the original melee at the Walmarts in Louisiana where EBT Snap cards were used with the users knowing full well they were out of benefits.

Some who choose not to steal

Speaking of not lumping all people in any particular group, I was in Walmart today buying some items and it occurred to me that I was a little confused.

I spoke with a neighbor I hadn't talked to in a year, and spoke with a man about buttermilk, and I spoke with a woman in line ahead of me with three children, fifteen grandchildren, and three great grand children, and successfully stopped a toddler from throwing a fit five separate occasions while her mother was checking out by simply staring at her and shaking my head back and forth while mouthing "no" and smiling at her.

From these encounters, I did not know which of these people or if all of them, constituted "lower elements of society."

The neighbor just retired last week and she was head of a nursing department. She lives just up the street from me and her husband and she just got back from two weeks in Alaska.
She was dressed casually.

The man was older and wore dockers and a plaid long sleeved shirt. He was bald.

The grandmother had gray hair and mentioned that her children lived in California and Pennsylvania and only one grandson lived in this area, and it was too expensive for her to travel to see them. She was very nice but seemed tired.
She had Gravy Train and frankfurters in her cart among other items.

The young mother with the fit throwing toddler wore jeans and a striped shirt and the cute little blonde toddler had her hair in pigtails. She bought birthday presents for a little girl and pink and purple wrapping paper.

I myself dropped in after working out in yoga pants, black shoes and a new aqua hoodie that read "Seaside."

So--which of us, including me, was a member of the "lower element of society" that shops at Walmart to which Lily refers?

Is it our clothes, what we buy, how we talk, how we look, how much we weigh (oh yes, one was considerably overweight I won't say who but it's not me) whether we've let our hair go gray?

Do we get points off for carrying a nice purse?

Do we get points for going "eeeww" when we see other shoppers that don't measure up to Lily's standards?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I'll bet Walmart shoppers would like to know where they fit in too, so when they visit Pennsylvania they can mob Target!

Whether this query is answered and we can all be properly pigeonholded or not, it is good to note and know, as I knew all along, that there are many honest and APPRECIATIVE people who receive food stamps.

That's a good thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Stamp recipients that are honest

We cannot judge anyone we see using Food Stamps, a wheelchair, walker just because we cannot see the disability. A heart problem does now show outside, as well as a family who is not working for whatever reason, cannot show a bank account being empty. We cannot judge.
My thought for the day
Marie

o

I go to Walmart twice a month on average. What I mostly notice is that that the other shoppers are just people. And most of them are simply going about their business - in the same way they'd be going about their business in Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus, Lord & Taylor, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's...

o

Posted by duluthinbloomz4 zone 4a (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 17:54

I go to Walmart twice a month on average. What I mostly notice is that that the other shoppers are just people. And most of them are simply going about their business - in the same way they'd be going about their business in Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus, Lord & Taylor, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's...

SO you don't think Walmart shoppers represent the "lower element of society?"

That's good.

'Cause those people I talked with all seemed to be pretty nice people and although some might not have as much money as others or be as nicely coiffed or dressed, they didn't seem to be low to me.

o

I wasn't looking for any kind of validation. Even in exchanging pleasantries with people in the aisles or in line, you (generic) don't know if they're the widow who's husband left a well funded trust or a single mother stretching her dollars. We're just people who find ourselves in the same place for any number of possible reasons.

o

"We're just people who find ourselves in the same place ...."

Like ships, passing in the night.

o

Or like strangers... "It turned out so right for strangers in the night."

Dooby-doooby-doo- wah and other assorted scat to end.

o

We all generalize to some extent, especially at places like we have here. I also think most people know others are generalizing but its an opportunity to jump on someone with a different opinion.
We were on food stamps, got a cash grant and other help for nearly 2 years when we just couldn't keep up any longer after my 1st eye surgeries. it was humbling for sure. We did get to see the true deadbeats at the welfare office, and those who just need a hand up. We did pay back 100% of the cash grants.

o

I too have many friends who are black, Jewish, homosexual, poor, funny looking and impaired. This is NOT to say that this post is self serving.

o

Kudos, Fanci. ;-)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 23:37

Now, let's not be posting scatological phrases!

o

And your point is what, Demi? I'll admit the times I go to Walmart are very late at night ,and I see men with wifebeater teeshirts no matter what time of year carrying snotty babies who should have been in bed hours ago, a much larger obese population than is seen at the local malls, and a parking lot of beat up trucks. That's MY Walmart . Glad yours is so classy. My Walmart and my Target are separated by three miles and a world of difference.

o

Glad some of you don't see me going in the Dollar Store...lol

o

I have found myself in the office where one signs up for LINK and other public assistance programs, and I can't say that I've ever seen anyone who didn't qualify... especially as I did not make it a habit to walk around said office and interview each family or person, myself.

How does one know who qualifies and who doesn't without intimate knowledge? What does one look like who qualifies compared to someone who doesn't?

"We cannot judge anyone we see using Food Stamps, a wheelchair, walker just because we cannot see the disability. A heart problem does now show outside, as well as a family who is not working for whatever reason, cannot show a bank account being empty. We cannot judge."

Exactly.

So... just because you happen to catch me walking fairly upright one day, dressed decently, somehow means I list among those of good health that couldn't possibly qualify for any kind of public assistance?

I'm sorry... but I'm pretty sure I don't have the power to judge others in such a way... so, I'm a little confused how someone else, who doesn't have personal information about someone, could know who qualifies versus who doesn't... and who's disabled versus who isn't...

How is it possible to know such things without inside information?

o

I think lily means walmart shoppers have high BMI's.

o

Many local grocery stores have a wide variety of customers - from the multi-generation dirt poor without a pot to pi$$ in to frugal millionaires and business owners.

Classes of customers vary substantial by location, time of day, time of month etc.

You'll see the most EBT card users early in the food stamp cycle during hours transit service is running as many food stamp recipients spend most of their benefits in the first week or two and don't own or have access to vehicles.

If you shop many stores later in the food stamp cycle and shop during hours transit service isn't running you won't see nearly as many EBT card users.

Many of our relatives and employees that work part-time flex hour jobs in grocery stores avoid working very early in the food stamp cycle due to the traffic and workload.

o

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 3:19

And your point is what, Demi? I'll admit the times I go to Walmart are very late at night ,and I see men with wifebeater teeshirts no matter what time of year carrying snotty babies who should have been in bed hours ago, a much larger obese population than is seen at the local malls, and a parking lot of beat up trucks. That's MY Walmart . Glad yours is so classy. My Walmart and my Target are separated by three miles and a world of difference.

Oh no, there is a difference in the appearance of types of automobiles that some of the shoppers at the Walmarts and the Targets that I patronize--with some people shopping at both. Like me.

I just don't know which ones of the shoppers constitute the "lower element of society" and why they do.

Since you have mentioned choice of clothing, parenting decisions and the type of vehicle one drives it gives me some direction now as to what kind of people constitute the lower element of society--just still not sure why they do.

Is it fluid? Because while not actually "beat up," yesterday I was driving a nine year old small SUV that was my daughter's that I keep as an extra vehicle to save miles on my car when I'm just running errands.

It certainly wasn't anything to brag about, some might be ashamed of driving that older vehicle, and I might be considered a lower element of society because of it.

Not that I care.

No sleepy, snotty kids though, there's just no excuse for that, is there?!~

The point of the thread was that contrary to speculation and outright lies posted about why I started the thread about welfare fraud, I have no need to portray anything but the truth.

The truth is many people intentionally cheated when an opportunity arose and they spread the word, and many people did not.

There are now people that say they intentionally did not fill their carts and walk out with groceries to which they knew they were not entitled because it was stealing, it was wrong, and they did not want to hurt the food stamp program for others and themselves, and they were appreciative of the help they were receiving.

That story deserved attention in the interest of fairness, just as the first one I posted, and it proves a lot of people wrong in their vicious, nasty and personally insulting speculation, which was not and should not have been part of the thread in the first place.

o

Update fror KSLA News October 22, 2013:

"According to the Many Police Department Facebook Page, "The MPD is still very active in the investigation of thefts that took place on Saturday October 12th at Wal-Mart involving losses because of malfunctioning EBT Card transactions and other thefts where customers simply left the store without paying for items."

In a post early Monday afternoon the administrator of the police department's page said, "We hope to have photos of many of these shoppers on our webpage before the end of the week so they can be identified."

Some shoppers have reportedly made restitution already, and their photos will not be displayed."

o

I think the OP is an not too subtle personal attack on lily in the guise of trying to be oh so fair and openminded. It's demi's newest technique - the shaming posts - twisting a person's words and using them out of context in the OP to belittle them. She used that very same technique on me not too long ago.

demi, you do know you could have written that same post without mentioning lily at all.

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 10:30

o

She didn't twist anyones words jz.

•Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 15:48

Who would have guessed it? Right on target, my local wingnut is now broadcasting this Walmart story. The wackadoodles are going crazy. He said the mainstreet press won't publish this story ,because Obama hates Walmart. He calls it controlled looting.
Will they talk about the old lady who was told she couldn't use her card and cried, and the person behind her said she'd pay for her milk, eggs, and bread.

It was Walmart. What do you expect? It would happen at mine too, because Walmart attracts the lower elements of society. I would bet it wouldn't happen at the Target down the street.

o

Posted by jerzeegirl 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 10:25

I think the OP is an not too subtle personal attack on lily in the guise of trying to be oh so fair and openminded. It's demi's newest technique - the shaming posts - twisting a person's words and using them out of context in the OP to belittle them. She used that very same technique on me not too long ago.

demi, you do know you could have written that same post without mentioning lily at all.

You could have written a lot of posts without mentioning me at all jerzeegirl.

You're the last person that should be throwing any rocks.

Lily made the statement--and I still don't know exactly who the "lower elements of society" are.

Perhaps you should hold Lily responsible for her statements--if I had said the same thing there would be multiple threads with pitchforks and torches. But of course you won't, you go out of the way to disrupt this thread to castigate me for asking for clarificaton about exactly who she considers the lower elements of society.

I will remind you that I stand by my statements but I'm castigated and held to statements I DON'T EVEN MAKE!

Get real.

You rattled the wrong cage with nada credibility on this subject JZ.

Dish out all sorts of personal insults and lies--buck up and be prepared to at least back up what you say.

I guess looking at history it's obvious why you would want to divert another thread into a "beat up Demi" thread and accuse me of twisting words in an obvious and pathetic effort to deflect from Lily's assessment of Walmart shoppers being the "lower element of society." All I did was ask a legitimate question about a statement made.

I didn't need to twist any words.
They are in black and white.

Poor people--literally, poor people are obviously being considered the "lower element of society" because they bring their sick children in the store late at night and drive beat up cars.

Where's that Mercedes Parking Lot?
Mrskjun, you fill up with gas we're headed to Target!
Now you dress nicely!

Perfectly understandable what you tried to do, Jerzeegirl.

You just aren't going to be successful.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 10:53

o

Just holding her responsible for her statements

At least we are now aware of your true objective for posting. Thanks!

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 10:48

o

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 10:46

Just holding her responsible for her statements

At least we are now aware of your true objective for posting. Thanks!

My reason for starting the thread was already explained--additional information about the Walmart shoppers, and also in direct contradiction to the lies posted about why I posted the story to begin with.

Your little quip just now was an obviously uneasy and quick attempt to exit out of an untenable position you put yourself in with your earlier post.

I'll feeling benevolent and will let you slide away quietly.
That's what us lower element Walmart shoppers do.

Have a great day.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 11:01

o

You are wrong. I can keep on going but I am sure you do not want to divert your thread to make it all about you and, honestly, it's just not worth it.

o

Demi...check out the videos out there called "people of Walmart" or something like that. All are taken in various Walmarts across the country because there are identifying markers in the background. It will singe your eyeballs.

Tobr..I love the Dollar store and go there every few weeks.

And Demi, you never see ME bragging about my Neiman Marcus shopping trips. Never been in one: there are none in the area. You DO read about me and my love affair with TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I shop there, and I also love our great community store which has outstanding finds and that way I give back to the community. I am not a snob, look in the mirror if you want to see one.

You started this thread because people were piling on you for the last one and rightly so. Oh, that's right. They were mostly black. I had said mine is mostly white. I do not look down on poor people. I help out at food banks and donate money,and clothes to the community store where I buy some of my own things.

You know damn well I'm not talking about poorer people, but the indeed lower elements... the drunks, the women slapping the kids across the face, the ones dragging their kids out in the cold close to midnight shopping...(Unless that was a practice of yours, Demi, because mine were in bed at 8. )

I'm not driving a $60,000 car, Demi, but a Prius, and we just traded a 12 year old Maxima for a new Honda. I'm talking about dirty dented clunkers.

So you and mrsk , who apparently are very bitter about the way you are perceived here, lash out. Give it a freaking rest!

o

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 12:11

Demi...check out the videos out there called "people of Walmart" or something like that. All are taken in various Walmarts across the country because there are identifying markers in the background. It will singe your eyeballs.

Tobr..I love the Dollar store and go there every few weeks.

And Demi, you never see ME bragging about my Neiman Marcus shopping trips. Never been in one: there are none in the area. You DO read about me and my love affair with TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I shop there, and I also love our great community store which has outstanding finds and that way I give back to the community. I am not a snob, look in the mirror if you want to see one.

You started this thread because people were piling on you for the last one and rightly so. Oh, that's right. They were mostly black. I had said mine is mostly white. I do not look down on poor people. I help out at food banks and donate money,and clothes to the community store where I buy some of my own things.

You know damn well I'm not talking about poorer people, but the indeed lower elements... the drunks, the women slapping the kids across the face, the ones dragging their kids out in the cold close to midnight shopping...(Unless that was a practice of yours, Demi, because mine were in bed at 8. )

I'm not driving a $60,000 car, Demi, but a Prius, and we just traded a 12 year old Maxima for a new Honda. I'm talking about dirty dented clunkers.

So you and mrsk , who apparently are very bitter about the way you are perceived here, lash out. Give it a freaking rest!

I'm not mean spirited, Lily.
I won't call you a snob because I don't judge you that way and I certainly wouldn't post it if I thought it.

I won't every say that it is "rightly so" for "piling on" someone for only posting a news story that highlights fraud.

Your mention of race is just disgusting, but then it doesn't matter to me what color a thief's skin is. I know it matters greatly to Democrats because they need people of color to be victims.

The race card is a favorite of the left, and I am never surprised when it is brought into play at any conversation as an attempt to deflect from the truth of the issue at hand--it's tired and worn but fairly effective except on people like me that know and recognize it for what it is and don't care what people like you think.

You have no compunction about doing it, though.

The thing is, who you are and what you are just isn't interesting to me, certainly not enough to consider and by no means interesting enough to write about publicly.

Wish I could say you felt the same about me.

I'll give you the same pass I gave jerzeegirl, however.

Oh, and if Jodik hadn't mentioned that she could "guarantee" the criminal behavior of Neiman Marcus shoppers when she herself has repeatedly says she eschews materialism and indicated she would not shop at Neiman's OR Walmart, well, sue me for mentioning Neiman's because she did.

If it makes you feel better I do shop at TJ Maxx and Marshall's, too. I'm an equal opportunity contributor to the economy.

Love,

The "Snob" (according to you) that isn't too good to shop with and converse with the "lower elements" of society that shop at Walmart just trying to make their dollars stretch.

One can sometimes learn a lot, exhibit empathy and glean understanding of those less fortunate by interacting with those wearing wife beater shirts and carrying around high BMIs.

Sometimes, not.

But, you never know until you try, do you?

Mrskjun, be sure to fill up with premium, no ethanol!

o

The thing is, who you are and what you are just isn't interesting to me, certainly not enough to consider and by no means interesting enough to write about publicly.

The less interested you are, the longer your posts become.

o

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 13:09

The less interested you are, the longer your posts become.

Oh come now Jerzeegirl, do you truly expect me or anyone else to just ignore the slings and arrows and accept the ludicrous criticism of me talking about me when I defend myself against the lies and slings and arrows?

Really?

Go back to the drawing board for goodness' sake and step up your game if that's all you've got.

o

I wonder if you even know that you are doing it.

o

Do you?

I don't post personal things about you after you give your opinion.

You just can't quit me, either, can you?

o

OK. So now we have established that you DO know you are doing it. You open this thread with an insult and you haven't stopped yet. You appear to be the one who can't quit.

o

Your ego is grand,Demi. We could all "quit you" if you gave us half a chance. Most threads here eventually get sidetracked because of your perceived notion that the whole HT community is out to get you....except for your ally, MrsK.

A good example is this thread you started just to bash me, and give kudos to yourself about how you mingle with the common folk at Walmart after shopping at Neiman Marcus. I think if I had noted that my Walmsrt was mostly black,and they were drunk or on drugs and slapping their kids around, you would have kept quiet or agreed. All the lower element crowd I commented on were white, so in your mind I was justifying the fraud the mostly blacks were committing at the southern Walmart which I wasn't. .

o

I don't really care what you were getting at in why you posted.

I just wanted to know exactly what constitutes the "lower element" of society, other than knowing a lot of them shop at Walmart.

You flatter yourself as to why I started this thread--that is obvious and I have answered that anyway--that had nothing to do with you.

The question to you about Walmart shoppers was just a lagniappe. ;)

o

Since I never heard that word and looked it up , I saw it was only used in southern Louisiana and Mississippi , two states I have never visited,nor care to. I don't see the relevance.

Even though the two of you are intent on dragging this out, I am sure the rest of the HT people are sick to death of it as I am. I stand by what I said and am not backing down.

Walmart has ruined America and the small business owner. They come in and take beautiful greenspace and destroy the environment. They are even trying to go into a nearby neighborhood with a smaller store destroying those people's lives with traffic and bright lights. People have been fighting them tooth and nail but how can you win against a mammoth store with corrupt lawyers?

o

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 14:12

Since I never heard that word and looked it up , I saw it was only used in southern Louisiana and Mississippi , two states I have never visited,nor care to. I don't see the relevance.

Even though the two of you are intent on dragging this out, I am sure the rest of the HT people are sick to death of it as I am. I stand by what I said and am not backing down.

Walmart has ruined America and the small business owner. They come in and take beautiful greenspace and destroy the environment. They are even trying to go into a nearby neighborhood with a smaller store destroying those people's lives with traffic and bright lights. People have been fighting them tooth and nail but how can you win against a mammoth store with corrupt lawyers?

None of what you posted has to do with the people that shop there.

Walmart doesn't require the people to dress in wife beaters, bring their snotty nosed children in late at night and does not require that they drive beat up vehicles.

What does Walmart have to do with the "lower element" of society?

Who are these people?

What makes them the lower element?

Why do you think they shop at Walmart and not Target, where you obviously prefer to shop?

o

It's a conundrum, isn't it? Don't have the answer, but it's a fact.

o

I can understand you not having answers to the first and last questions, but since you labeled these people, will you answer these?

Who are these people?

What makes them the lower element?

o

Jeez, give it a rest. I don't have the answer what makes them, they just are, and again I am not talking about the poor. I'm talking about drug and meth users, people who don't parent wisely, (like the one whose two year old was found wandering in the Walmart parking lot the other week)...on and on...And I'm done with this . Talk to yourself or commiserate with K.

o

LOLOL Patriciae!

o

Double LOL Patricia.

I tried to post several times yesterday and kept walking away SMH.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 16:37

Well let me see how that goes again ... as long as Lily is not violating the terms of the forum, derogatory terms for people is just free speech.

Or something like that ...

o

Smart shoppers don't need to have gobs of money to shop at high end stores... and to me, it doesn't matter where someone purchases an item... I'm not impressed by designer names or big price tags. I'm impressed by quality products at fair prices, and even more impressed by corporations that treat their employees fair.

I like shopping at the local Dollar Store, too... they have some nifty things for those single dollars. I shop both low and high end... it's the items I'm interested... not the thought that I'm rubbing shoulders with the moneyed, because I might not be. People who are rather well to do patronize Walmart, too...

It's impossible to accurately judge people using limited parameters.

And the thing about the various social classes of people is... there isn't one that's immune to many of the same problems that affect others.

That person walking past you in Nordstroms or Neiman Marcus could be well addicted to an illegal substance... or could be an abuser of children... or could be a convicted felon... or could belong in any of the many categories we think of as "low class".

Mode of dress, type of vehicle, size of home, number of credit cards with high limits, chosen shopping venues... these are not things that signify who a person is. These are unimportant, extraneous things that really don't mean a whole lot in the greater scheme.

After all the generalizing and stereotyping that's been done here, within this forum, and called out, one would think it wouldn't happen quite so often. What you see is not always what you get. Every individual is part of an individual situation or set of circumstances.

And four threads later, we're still trying to justify ourselves through the use of Lily's words...

o

And four threads later, we're still trying to justify ourselves through the use of Lily's words...

I don't need to justify a darn thing Jodik.

But since you used "we" what are you trying to justify?

I get what Lily is getting at I think now--but I want to know what exactly it is that makes them a "lower element" of society?

What determines that?

Because in my mind it is certainly not money.

I know of drug dealers with lots of money that did not drive beat up cars--they drove expensive cars.

I know of wealthy businessmen that I helped to send off to prison for bilking people out of their life savings in a tax scheme.

They may not be a lower element but they certainly are a criminal element.

We know of adulterous politicians who betray the trust of their loved ones and on a regular, repeated basis.

It's not necessarily the quality of clothing, but perhaps the style of clothing or choices?

Wife beater undershirts?
Lily didn't mention tattoos but that frequently is seen as a fashion combo with wife beater undershirts.

Piercings?

Whooping and hollering at sporting events or yelling?

Chewing tobacco in public?

Smoking in public?

Cursing in public?

Excessive PDAs in public?

Is it lack of taste?

Showing too much skin?

Too fat? (body weight has been mentioned)

Too skinny?

Home perms?

Boxed color to make mousy browns yeller haired women?

Poor parenting skills?

Beat up cars?

As Lily noted, it's a conundrum.

I guess it's like pornography--difficult to describe but you know it when you see it?

o

Anyone who isn't you (generic). Conundrum solved.

o

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 17:26

Anyone who isn't you (generic). Conundrum solved.

Au contraire!

I am not the one who brought up the "lower element" of society.

That would be Lily.

o

As i read this thread the words shrill and bitter come to me.

o

You have alluded to "lower elements" of society, perhaps not using those words, but certainly in your evident disdain for certain segments like the "takers", the ones who don't pay taxes, etc. Perhaps "lower elements" means different things to different people - my lower being different from your lower.

o

Let's not make the leap that I was referring to you, demi. Just thinking outside the box. When making snap judgments, say, like about Walmart shoppers (who are there for more than a Prius trunk full of bird seed), the handiest gauge to measure against is one's self.

o

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 18:03

Let's not make the leap that I was referring to you, demi. Just thinking outside the box. When making snap judgments, say, like about Walmart shoppers (who are there for more than a Prius trunk full of bird seed), the handiest gauge to measure against is one's self.

I'll agree with you there.

Of course there is limited information and we all have impressions of people before we even speak with them.

Some are confirmed, some are not correct, some in between.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 18:18

No one can "confirm" anything about a total stranger .. I have known millionaires that dress like bums.

And I am sick to death of posters thinking that "we" posters are hot topics, newsflash we are not.

This is not the only thread that has been started regarding a poster and I think it needs to stop

I was offended by the poster who said black people were "street monkeys" and was told as long as a poster is not violating the terms of the forum he was entitled to his free speech as repulsive as it was. I find it ironic that Lily using a derogatory terms is held to the fire.

The constant "quibbling" by a few posters here is tiresome to say the least.

1/2 penny

o

Poor people--literally, poor people are obviously being considered the "lower element of society" because they bring their sick children in the store late at night and drive beat up cars.

Well as long as they are not in the ER taking up chairs when Demi is there! Because that would really be a problem.

Do I have that right?

o

Jill, you just homed in on the irony of this post.

o

Rude people and poor people aren't necessarily one and the same.

"“Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”

Anything to deflect from one of your own looking down one's nose at the "lower elements of society," eh?

o

Spot on Jill. Do You win a tee shirt?

No one is deflecting from anything, just commenting on the irony and glaring hypocrisy of your thread/post.

o

Can't quit me either can you epiphyticlvr?

;)

o

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 19:02

Well as long as they are not in the ER taking up chairs when Demi is there! Because that would really be a problem.

Do I have that right?

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 19:37

Jill, you just homed in on the irony of this post.

Posted by epiphyticlvr 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 20:59

Spot on Jill. Do You win a tee shirt?

No one is deflecting from anything, just commenting on the irony and glaring hypocrisy of your thread/post.

The irony is that none of you can stop talking about ME.

I must really get under your skin big time because you can't help yourselves.

Honestly I don't think any of you even try, you love talking about me, personally.

Just love it love it love it, don't you?

You do it enough.

o

What is that word you use...ah, yes...CREEPY.

And you've now brought this thread exactly where you wanted it. You only wanted to talk about you. Enjoy yourself.

o

More irony..

Psst, Demi YOU made this thread all about YOU from the beginning.

You started with this...
...and in proof that I never have and do not lump all people in any particular group or assign dishonest motives to everyone in the food stamp program.

The very first sentence is about you.

The went on to tell us about YOUR day, and everyone YOU met, how YOU controlled that child, and even what YOU wore etc.

I was in Walmart today buying some items and it occurred to me that I was a little confused.

I spoke with a neighbor I hadn't talked to in a year, and spoke with a man about buttermilk, and I spoke with a woman in line ahead of me with three children, fifteen grandchildren, and three great grand children, and successfully stopped a toddler from throwing a fit five separate occasions while her mother was checking out by simply staring at her and shaking my head back and forth while mouthing "no" and smiling at her.

I myself dropped in after working out in yoga pants, black shoes and a new aqua hoodie that read "Seaside."

If you don't want discussions to be about you then it would be a good idea to not start them or participate on a public board where people respond to people's posts as they choose.

You are only a legend in your own mind.

o

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 21:37

What is that word you use...ah, yes...CREEPY.

And you've now brought this thread exactly where you wanted it. You only wanted to talk about you. Enjoy yourself.

Nope, I wanted to talk about food stamp recipients that are honest and about what constitutes the "lower elements of society."

Others decided to talk about me.

You more than anyone else.

o

I know I said I was done with this, but I had to see the 58 response thread started by demi, which turned into almost a monologue with 20 posts by the poster alone, almost 1/3!!.

There are a few items on your list which might or might not qualify as lower element. Being poor is not one. In my opinion, the whole Kardashian crowd fits the bill as well as a famous Eagles football player named Michael Vick who loves torturing dogs. We're talking about class here and very many people with scads of money don't have it.

o

"Nope, I wanted to talk about food stamp recipients that are honest"

You mean you think there are a few honest ones? Holy crap I didn't know you could be empathetic toward food stamp recipients. Good for you.
I am thinking that if more Southern Republicans like you conversed with the working poor, people of color, and those down on their luck they might also moderate some of their opinions and loosen up the hardened ideology that grips them.

"I myself dropped in after working out in yoga pants, black shoes and a new aqua hoodie that read "Seaside."

We might run into each other shopping if you got that down in the panhandle..

As far as Walmart, I only go in there late at night when there are almost no other customers. These late night shops are like a Twilight zone experience. You feel almost invisible amidst employees who, like you at that late hour, also want to be invisible.
Of course who would expect people working for peanuts in in that sh1thole to want to break into a conversation with a customer? And I don't think anyone who shops there wants to be seen let alone converse with strangers. It is all just kind of a freak show where you become a zombie from the time you enter the front door until the time you leave.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 3:23

o

That's because, Lily, as most of us know, class isn't for sale at any price. It can't be bought no matter how much money or fancy togs with designer names we throw at it.

It's not in the counter top material we choose... it's not in the number of bathrooms our house might have... it's not even in the fine leather that makes up the upholstery in our very expensive cars.

There are many ways to look at what we call "class"... but from my perspective, it's a part of what makes up a decent human being... some people have it, and some people don't.

And people can spend their lives looking down their noses at what they interpret as the classless masses, those who don't fit into the narrow parameters that make up their very small world, and they can think they have it... they can think they're winners, just oozing class...

But that doesn't make it so.

o

Are you sure Michael Vick isn't a liberal lily? Wouldn't want you to denigrate his treatment of animals if he was the same political persuasion would you?

o

There are many ways to look at what we call "class"... but from my perspective, it's a part of what makes up a decent human being... some people have it, and some people don't.

And those that call their fellow human beings losers because of their job most certainly do not have it. No matter how much they think they do.

o

Are you sure Michael Vick isn't a liberal lily? Wouldn't want you to denigrate his treatment of animals if he was the same political persuasion would you?

What in the world does one's political leanings have to do with torturing animals and what one thinks of a person that does that?

Only you, MrsK, think that way.

o

•Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 3:19

I know I said I was done with this, but I had to see the 58 response thread started by demi, which turned into almost a monologue with 20 posts by the poster alone, almost 1/3!!. "

Why lily, thank you for your hard work and research on this subject.

o

And this statement demonstrates to me your biggest problem. You see EVERYTHING in life as somehow political. Michael Vick is a jerk - no matter what his political affiliation. What he did was heinous and despicable. I don't care what his political affiliation is, I still have no respect for him. You are the one who is just the opposite. You prove it every day by your posts.

Sometimes people are just plain bad - no matter what party they associate themselves with.

o

Oh, October it's okay Lily did answer my question, and for THAT I am appreciative.

Heri also gave a good answer.

More posts like that--about the TOPIC, which I am quite well aware that these two posters, me, mrskjun, and jodik, too, are capable of contributing, and we might get back some semblance of the old forum we used to have.

The injection of constant personal nasty slings at every turn the last year or two has poisoned and worn on us a group, regardless of ignoring them, challenging them, joining them or attempting to stay above the fray. Not that almost every one of us have not had our less stellar moments in this regard before, but it's a completely different situation now. The well has effectively been poisoned.

Thanks Lily and Heri for your posts.

I do know that there are many more honest and appreciative food stamp recipients and I am glad that society provides them for the ones that are, that truly need the help.

Sweatshirt or heels I think I could enjoy talking with either of you if I ran into you.

Perhaps I should start a new thread about appearances, judgment, how we can be right and wrong, etc.

It could be interesting and perhaps healing a bit if we stick to the topic.

Alas gotta run right now.

Y'all have a good day and thanks.

o

Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 6:52

And those that call their fellow human beings losers because of their job most certainly do not have it. No matter how much they think they do

Jill, your constant mischaracterization and editing of my words, even when I have gone out of my way to state exactly what I meant--as Elvis went back and posted the entire conversation when I specifically said the woman was a loser because she worked at McDonalds for ten years while complaining that she wanted a better job--is not getting you anywhere.

I specifically said that just working at a low paying job because one wanted to and was happy with that certainly did not make them a loser--only that they complained they wanted more money and a better job and still worked there after ten years.

What you are doing is childish, mean, disruptive, and serves no purpose.

Everyone knows what you are doing, and I'm tired of correcting you when we all know what you are doing.

I do not know why you have put so much effort into personally insulting me every turn pretty much since you arrived at the forum and I've barely said anything to you so it is obvious that you have some type of prejudice against me for my opinions or what you know about me.

That is fine but the disruption of the forum has become so out of hand others of us are having difficulty communicating. Not that we did not before and have our moments, but this is distracting.

I'm going to ignore your nastiness to me best I can now, in the better interest of the forum. I am going to try to do better myself in ignoring the slings and arrows and keeping more on topic and bettering the conversation.

If you think I'm that bad of a person that's fine, keep it to yourself. Pray for me. Go donate to a Democrat.

I don't care what you do as long as you don't completely destroy what comaraderie we had here before you arrived.

That was one reason I enjoyed coming to this forum for years before you participated--talking with people that liked to talk about issues that thought differently, and trying to understand them. When people start out talking about an issue sometimes emotions take over, and when they don't have the response they need, or get frustrated, or are attacked--they fight back in words.

It is extremely polarizing.

It happened before and it has happened since but not to this extent. Those exchanges tended to go on for a few posts or maybe a few days, people calmed down and got back to the business of exchanging ideas and communicating. Sort of like a family arguing and misunderstanding I guess.

So many people have left that were intelligent and fun people and for that I am sorry. I am sorry that I have responded to so many personal attacks on me.

Just please stop poisoning this forum with your personal insults to me and other conservatives and disruption of what could be productive exchanges.

To the old timer members here--I apologize for contributing to the disruption. I know a little about many of you and truly want the best for you, for all of us, just disagree how to go about it.
My delivery is often sharp and caustic, that's just me. It's not going to change anymore than my habit of procrastination.
We all have our personalities and some are quick to get mad, some are emotional, it's just who we are. But I don't think we're bad people I think we care about our country and others.

We should just show that compassion more to one another.

Peace.

o

68 posts, approximately 22 from demi, about demi's desire to prove that she does "not lump all people in any particular group or assign dishonest motives to everyone in the food stamp program" and to make sure that Lily knows that.

Edited to say that I appreciate demi's last comment and agree that we would be better served if we got off each other's backs.

This post was edited by pidge on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 14:45

o

MrsK..To answer your idiotic question this way....If Barrack Obama was found to have tortured animals in any way, ran a dog fighting ring, I'd turn on him on a dime. What a ridiculous question ,but then we all know how your candidate treated dogs, don't we?

o

You're wrong Demi. I read this site long before I started posting. You have not changed and you never will. This was happening long before I started posting.

I do not react well to people crapping on other people because of their position in life. I never will and I have no desire to change that. I am willing to tone down how I react to that if that's what people here want.

I don't get the impression from you however that you are willing to look at yourself and consider a change. You expect everyone else to change to meet your expectations. That's not how the world works.

As to the lady at McDonald's - as far as I remember she was asking to be paid fairly. I think she has that right. You said she was a loser. Not me. You need to own your words. I've said it before...if you are often misunderstood, perhaps it's the words you are using or the way you use them that is the issue and not how people interpret them. I am not the only one to interpret them the way I do.

o

There's a lot of talk about what people were wearing, their cars, their purses, their weight, quantity of hair, shoes, colors, houses....

...not much talk on behavior...

To answer the OP: It's not what you're wearing. It's how you are behaving.

o

Thank you, Silver... someone who can see past the cover to the story contained on the pages within.

o

Do they take SNAP cards in the Neiman Marcus tea room?

o

Posted by silversword 9A (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 19:52

There's a lot of talk about what people were wearing, their cars, their purses, their weight, quantity of hair, shoes, colors, houses....

...not much talk on behavior...

To answer the OP: It's not what you're wearing. It's how you are behaving.

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 20:05

Thank you, Silver... someone who can see past the cover to the story contained on the pages within.

Well explain that to the person that notes the excessive weight of people, what they wear and what they drive when describing them as the "lower element" of society.

That wasn't me, silversword and jodik.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 20:21

o

So... why the need for this thread, then?

o

The thread title explains the reason for the thread, Jodik

There is no "need" for any thread

o

Will you ever let this thread die, Demi? And by the way, the title of this thread made no sense.

o

I'm one of those old timers who does'nt often post....there are a lot of people who read here who don't say too much, and that includes newer members. Also, I think it needs to be said that this forum is not just oldtimers, or it would cease to be a forum at all.....a reminder for myself, as well.

Reading recently, it seems to be mostly about one person, whose name comes up repeatedly on almost every thread........and much of it isn't about communicating. Someone said bitter and shrill, and in my opinion......it makes much of the interaction here seem to have that feeling.

I would think that people who argue so vociferously for their party would be concerned about how they are perceived by those of us who mostly read.

I see this forum as a microcosm of the various parties.....and it's not very attractive to me when I read the posts denigrating others, the poor, disabled, or food stamp recipients....among other members of society that are struggling in this economy.....and I HAVE seen a lot of that here lately.

I'd like to see more posts that are enlightening about the issues we all face, rather than a war of words spun a LOT by one person.

o

"I'd like to see more posts that are enlightening about the issues we all face, rather than a war of words spun a LOT by one person."

Sounds great. All ears (eyes?), here. ;-)

o

Perhaps you could be the first to go Elvis.....

o

I think giraffe should obllige us with an example of what she would like to read, such as: "posts that are enlightening about the issues we all face."

I'm looking forward to reading these; it will be a nice change of pace. I'm sure you agree, chase.

Come to think of it, you, chase, rarely start a thread; maybe it's your turn. Show giraffe how it's done.

o

To illustrate the other side of the coin, and in proof that I never have and do not lump all people in any particular group or assign dishonest motives to everyone in the food stamp program...

Followed by the video. Did anyone watch the video? They interviewed one man and said they had two others who didn't steal when given the opportunity.

Three people.

As of August 2011, 45.8 million persons were participating in SNAP, the average person receiving a monthly benefit of $133.79, and the average household received $289.61 monthly.

According to a recent USDA analysis, The SNAP program is currently functioning at the highest level it has ever seen. It had a payment accuracy of 96.19% in 2012 and the number of benefits exchanged for cash are at 1%.

It is good to note and know, as I knew all along, that there are many honest and APPRECIATIVE people who receive food stamps.

That's a pretty small sample, but I agree.

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 Myths About the Food Stamp Program

o

Thank you giraffe. Well stated.

I think giraffe should obllige us with an example of what she would like to read, such as: "posts that are enlightening about the issues we all face."

This is a discussion board not a challenge board. No one should be goaded into anything by other posters.

As Chase stated:
Perhaps you could be the first to go Elvis.....

o

This is a discussion board not a challenge board. No one should be goaded into anything by other posters.

Neither is it a character assassination board or a commentary board of opinions and speculations of the character of other posters.

o

Nor meant to be a revenge board. You started this thread in part to belittle another poster and then tried to justifiy it by stating they did it first. Whether they are right or wrong two wrongs don't make a right. You are responsible for your own behavior. Don't participate in the behavior you abhor. You do it often and then feign innocence like this thread.

No one made you start this thread with the content you chose: to put down another poster, talk about yourself by pretending you were debunking a perception that many have of you based on your cumulative posts. Based on most of the comments you weren't successful except to get people to talk about you.

Your hands aren't clean when it comes to what you are complaining about.

o

"I'm going to ignore your nastiness to me best I can now, in the better interest of the forum. I am going to try to do better myself in ignoring the slings and arrows and keeping more on topic and bettering the conversation."

On topic.......yup, foodstamp recipients tend to be just about as honest on average as non-foodstamp recipents.

o

Excellent point, giraffe. One wouldn't think that fact needs to actually be spoken out loud, but apparently it does.

I hope you will come out of lurking more often!

o

I do, too, Giraffe.... the forum could use some balance and honesty.

o

I definitely agree with your post, Giraffe, and agree with the posts above from Jill and Jodik.

Please come back and post more often. This forum needs a lot more balanced posts and far less accusing and self-serving posts.

o

By all means, let's see one.

o

Posted by gmatx z6 on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 13:11

"Please come back and post more often. This forum needs a lot more balanced posts and far less accusing and self-serving posts."

Posted by demifloyd 8 on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 13:14

"By all means, let's see one."

Not to toot my own horn...

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a Balanced, Non-Accusing or Self-Serving Post!!

o

You can certainly toot it on that one, Silver... so far, no one has come by to knock the train off its tracks...

o

The snark is unpalatable. I think it's a good example of what Marshall was saying on that thread, how people use cutsey words and lol's violently...

o

Well, we also have to consider the purpose behind this thread, Silver... off it's tracks from the get-go.

o

One of the worst of the year that I can recall. A new low for the forum.
For what possible positive purpose. It escapes me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here