Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polling Firms

Posted by fouquieria 10b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 17:16

With the advent of these shill polling firms, do you think they've affected the way Americans perceive polls in general? I just hang up when a pollster calls me. Rasmussen has come out with a massive amount of new polls today. So has We Ask America. We Ask America's CEO is a serious GOP donor. There's a couple others but I can't think off the top of my head their names. I think what it's done is muddied the waters for legitimate polling firms.

-Ron-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polling Firms

Only if you don't do your homework, and are apt to believe something just because...

To the rational thinker, these shill polls are nothing... they don't mean squat.

o

I just hang up when a pollster calls me.

In the period before Arianna founded the Huffington Post, and in the afterglow of her failed run for governor, she was trying to launch a national campaign of "say no to polls." I don't know if the L.A. public radio stations reach S.D. County, but it seemed at the time that she was constantly on the airwaves promoting her idea.

At least HuffPo keeps her off the radio in L.A.

o

I'm getting at least one polling call an evening. Half the time, its a robot, half the time its a real person. Swing state blues.

Some of them have been interesting, eg asking about the Libya situation and the 47% comment.

What annoys me is the way the questions are worded - does what happened in Libya make you feel more favorable, less favorable towards Obama, then strongly not so strongly. What?

So I've answered about 20 polls this cycle, but the last two evenings, I've just said no.

Only one push-poll. "Does the fact that Obama kills unborn babies make you....." click

o

Poll pushing can be very subtle. It isnt always obvious. If you ever answer a poll you are going to get polled some more. I can only think that if I am repeatedly being polled the the poll must be pushed since it ought to be random so why am I being polled so much? I started saying no and suddenly no more polls.

o

I love those phone calls--and in this state, we get a lot. I'm very consistent--I always answer as though I'm a dem/lib. It's like playing a game. I wonder if the questions change once the first few are answered.

Guess I'm the "margin of error".

o

I always answer as though I'm a dem/lib. It's like playing a game.

That's been my impression of you in here too.

-Ron-

o

Imo, These polls are nothing but manipulation of the uninformed masses. They're meant to flatter and steer the "polled" in a certain direction.

o

Imo, These polls are nothing but manipulation of the uninformed masses. They're meant to flatter and steer the "polled" in a certain direction.

o

Thank goodness for caller ID. If I don't recognize the name or number, I don't have time to pick up the phone.

o

It's easy enough to hang up on both recorded messages, and those live pollsters who call from time to time. A "no, thank you" is all it takes.

o

This is exactly why one should only pay attention to Nate Silver's 538 blog.

I feel left out living in NJ. Not exactly a swing state, so I don't get polled.

o

I saw this morning that he was saying that there is some skewing with the automated polls to informed voters - only 2-3% bother to answer, everybody else just hangs up. So its only those who follow politics who will take the 5 minutes to answer.

With a live person, the response is higher.

And I noted, as a neutral observer, that he is seeing a pretty good bounce from the first debate, where Romney radically shifted to the middle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here