Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yet another attempt on Obamas life

Posted by blue_velvet_elvis Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 18:31

Given the fact that it's pretty obvious he will be our next POTUS do you think he'll either a make it in office or make it out of office alive?

I can't remember in the past so many attempts on a candidates life. Ok, I can't remember any attempts on a candidates life.

I remember Reagan getting shot, I was home sick from school that day and saw it happen on TV. I'm not old enough to have been around for JFK.

Does the secret service actually have the ability to protect him? DH doesn't want to vote for him because he doesn't want to contribute to his demise. It doesn't seem that would really matter at this point though. He'd assumably have less protection if he's not elected, wouldn't he?

Why on God's green earth can't people hate each other just because they do anymore? Why does it still have to be about the color of thier skin? I fail to comprehend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yet another attempt on Obamas life

There are many of us that fail to comprehend, bvelvis. Honestly, I've been watching posters on this forum ask McCain supporters why they're voting for him, and as you know, they invariably respond with attacks on Obama. I haven't wanted to say this or even think it, but I can't help but think it comes down to the color of his skin. The man has shown himself to have extraordinary intelligence, patience, a willingness to listen to the opinions of others, and an amazing ability to unite and inspire. Eight years of Bush/GOP rule has brought this country to it's knees and we have no respect globally. John McCain is NOT respected outside of this country and Sarah Palin is a global joke. Republican leaders have endorsed him and yet.....even though they can't come up with a single logical, reasonable reason to support John McCain...they won't even consider Obama. That is a sad commentary and tells me we still have a long way to go

o

And why can't they just agree to disagree?

It seems that for so many people social or personal control is failing to curb the urge to turn to violence. Sometimes I'm afraid that simply disagreeing with someone might trigger their uncontrollable rage. And then there are those whose rage isn't hot and quick but cold and calculated - perhaps I fear them even more for they seem so convinced they are right and that they have the (god given?) right to kill anyone who sees things differently.

And that mentality is what is really scary - not islamic extremists or right wing religious extremists or left wing extremists. It's the people of whatever stripe who are convinced that they not only are right, but they have both all the answers and the right to force others to see things their way.

I have to believe that Obama will survive and thrive because if I don't I feel like I'm letting the "evil doers" win. But I wonder.

o

I worry about it. Most of the people that I talk to who are voting for Obama are worried about his possible assassination as well. I simply can't understand it at all. If we could put up with 8 years of the most moronic leadership under Bush without someone taking him out, then people who feel strongly about Obama can certainly stand to live under his Presidency without resorting to violence.

o

• Posted by cait1 VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 19:21

I haven't wanted to say this or even think it, but I can't help but think it comes down to the color of his skin.

Not another Republican pulling out the old race card....

So pattiem thinks the reason we should vote for Obey One is because he's "shown himself to have extraordinary intelligence, patience, a willingness to listen to the opinions of others, and an amazing ability to unite and inspire."

And for those of us who are not inspired by this god amongst men? We are 'evil doers'.

Nice forum here. No name calling, no race card pulling, just decent folk have decent discussions.

o

So cait from australia, you'd rather see Obama dead? Very curious from someone not even seemingly involved in our situation here in America.

I think btw the skin head racists just might be the ones playing this particular race card. I'd think that's pretty darn obvious. skin heads=hate blacks=hate obama=try to kill obama (and 88? other black individuals) something crazy like that. I'd say yes, they were indeed playing the race card that's why they're referred to as racists.

o

Given the fact that no McCain-Palin supporters have even denounced the racial codes and rhetoric being used by their candidates, I am only hopeful that Senator Obama will remain in good health over the coming years.

Cait, what do you mean "we should vote for". Are you voting in this election?

o
RE: yet another attempt on Obamas life ! part II

• Posted by cait1 VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 19:42

bve I find it extraordinary that you would deduce that from my comment. I suppose Lincoln and Kennedy were both assasinatated because of race. And the attempted assasination of Reagan was also because of his race.

Just b/c Obey One's half and half doesn't mean that is why there are attempts on his life. It could just be because of his political outlook. I will not presume to know what is in another's mind. I kindly ask you do the same.

mama - I've already said yes to that question. Please keep up.

o

Ummm-I don't recall calling anyone an evil doer, nor any other name. I am not "pulling a race card" simply making an observation. Your response does say quite a bit about you though

o

This attempt was racist - no two ways about it. It was planned by skin-heads who were going to kill 88 other "non-Caucasians" and then try to end it by killing Obama.

And you think, cait1, that this attempted assassination might have been for some other reason?

o
Cait

Cait, no need to be rude, I am just signing on and have not read all the posts, thus the question.

o
read the article

Cait, I'm going to be fair and say that you apparently don't have current US news in your country. Please read the article before completely destroying your credibility.

" Two white supremacists allegedly plotted to go on a national killing spree, shooting and decapitating black people and ultimately targeting Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, federal authorities said Monday"

AP news.

If that's not a racist action, I don't know what your definition could possibly be. I thought that Australia was part of this galaxy. I could have been wrong I guess.

Lincoln was shot because he was loathed by the South for freeing the slaves. To top it off, he was likely part black himself. My family was from the South. I'd be a very rich woman today had it not been for the war. I don't condone however what my family had gained because they enslaved others. There are many people I've talked to who I am related to who still talk badly about Lincoln. STILL, the war hasn't been over all that long according to them. So, before you claim to think you have an idea what you're talking about... read the article.

Of course Kennedy was Irish and Catholic and not everyone likes/liked Irish Catholics then. It used to be very very not cool to be Irish, or Italian.

Reagan was shot because of Jody Foster. She is a pretty white girl, I'll give you that.

p.s read the article.

Here is a link that might be useful: white supremists plot

o

88 + 14 people, 88 by shooting and 14 by beheading and they think Obama is a terrorist.

Lincoln killed because of race related positions - like wanting black people free instead of property as slaves.

Kennedy most likely the same thing since he was a supporter of civil rights and so was his brother Bobby.

McCain, Palin and their radical supporters that spew the hate and division in this country during this campaign are ALL culpable.

o

An interesting response to the news that there was a plan to commit mass murder and to assasinate a candidate for president.

o

cait, if you thought my reference to "evil doers" was towards people not voting for Obama, I must not have been clear enough in my post. I was referring to those who would attempt assassination of a candidate they disagreed with.

Do you agree, that they might legitimately be termed such, or do you have other views?

I agree that there might be other reasons besides race for crazy people to want to hurt someone, but since you "don't presume to know what is in another's mind", how can you say that race is not behind such attempts?

o

blue_velvet_elvis, please take your own words and pattiem93's response and apply it to DH doesn't want to vote for him because he doesn't want to contribute to his demise. Is that an excuse of a different kind? I do have to say it's very original. No offense. I guess everyone has their reasons.

o

thermometer, I gave up trying to understand my DH before we were married. It's like a rubiks cube with no answer. Completely and utterly impossible.

He has been deeply troubled by this. I told him tonight he ought to vote for Obama then to keep him safe because if he does not win he won't have all the secret service at his disposal.

I think there might be more, he said he's still voting for Ralph Nader (or me as he's written my name before) lol

o

Though he's not my vote, I wish him health and safety in the future. He and his are going to have it rough for a while. Hope not. No matter what, it's a shame people are out for blood- on either side.

o

In answer to your question, I think George Wallace was running for president in the 1972 election when he was shot. This current evil plot was obviously racially motivated, but honestly, I don't think any presidential candidate or any president is safe from nuts. I mean, look at the two attempts on Gerald Ford's life. He wasn't controversial except for the Nixon pardon, but that didn't stop the wackos. I just hope Obama stays safe. We need him.

o

You have the standard wacko contingent. Then the neo-Nazi contingent, plus the wingnut contingent listening to the multi-millionaire radio howlers ranting how Obama is going to nationalize our children and force them into slave labor, and the Religious Right who preach that Obama is going to force convicted pedophiles down the throat of the Boy Scouts of America, making them sleep in the same tent with young boys.

So my guess is the Secret Service is on their toes. Making use of the shadier sides of the Patriot Act. Now wouldn't that be ironic?

o

Loved rivkadr's comment!

If we could put up with 8 years of the most moronic leadership under Bush without someone taking him out

o

Of course it's racist..that's what white supremacists are about!! Why they are called supremacists I don't have a clue!! Just ignorant people who have a need to hate someone. Seems almost everyone does. And he could be running as a republican, that hatred would still be there by those kinds of people.
The hatred of Sarah Palin by democratic women astounds me as well. They didn't have to know anything about her, just that she was a woman and she was prolife. How can people hate for such ridiculous reasons? The color of a person's skin, their gender. As much as I might disagree with Obama, I can't imagine hating the man.

o

"McCain, Palin and their radical supporters that spew the hate and division in this country during this campaign are ALL culpable."

Yea....all the Libs are oh so nice.....

Care to explain this? Maybe I'll make one of good ol Obama, I wonder what that'll get me

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/RBow/Palin.jpg[/IMG]

o
Effigy Pic

No outside linking?

Here ya go. A role model for Libs....sorry, but you guys are no better, and in many of cases the cause of alot of problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah Palin

o

The hatred of Sarah Palin by democratic women astounds me as well.

That's just too wide a brush to paint over all Democratic women. Surely you realize there are Republican women who do not want her to become VP as well, right? And, surely you recognize men of both persuasions also do not want her to become VP. I also think the word "hatred" is too strong a word. I cannot speak for other people, but I don't hate anyone, not anyone. I cannot account for people saying petty things about her, such as criticizing her hair or saying she's not pretty. She is a very pretty woman, and I couldn't care less about her hair. I have never stated (or written) such petty things. I talk about how dumb she is, how vacuous she is, how un-inquisitive, how lying, how hateful, unintelligent, divisive, cunning, how vindictive, how undeveloped and unprepared she is, and how unequivocally and indisputably unqualified for VP she is.

I did not on sight discount her as a person in any of those respects. I defined everything she showed us and found woeful the prospect of her anywhere near the White House. But that was after she was initially selected, when the selection, itself, was affront and offense to all of womankind (and to men, as we later learned she was meant to appeal to hem sexually). I cannot explain those women, such as yourself, who seem to think a uterus is somehow an integral part of qualifications and think that running her household (with no idea how she ran her household) was analogous to running the US Government. McCain thought he'd play an ace by pandering to our sense of gender acceptance rather than our good sense. He thought he was so slick and was sure to get elected by scheming and underestimating the entire country's intelligence. He was only right accounts. Not all. Not me.

o

My goodness, who said they hate Governor Palin? And again, we said we did not know much about her when she was initially brought on board. Like most people, including many Republicans, once she opened her mouth the bloom was off the rose.

o

I will assume that there may be democratic women who "hate" Sarah Palin but I don't see them much on this forum. I do see people, women and men, who disagree with Ms. Palin vehemently about many things, and who believe she is not qualified to be POTUS. And make no mistake, to be qualified to be VP she must be qualified to do the job at the top. And this person is not qualified.

The fact that she is anti-choice is just one more thing which disqualifies her, IMHO.

o

The hatred of Sarah Palin by democratic women astounds me as well. They didn't have to know anything about her, just that she was a woman and she was prolife. How can people hate for such ridiculous reasons?

Are you really this ignorant?

Is the only reason you can come up with petty jealousy?

Women have fought tooth and nail for NINETY years to be taken seriously on the U.S. stage as something more than a pretty face and a folksy accent.

And that's all she is.

For god's sake she was a journalism MAJOR and couldn't name a single newspaper or magazine. It was a perfect opportunity to mention "Christianity Today" - something her fan base would have went nuts for! Instead she made a tense smile and gave yet another dear in the headlights response.

MILLIONS of women have spent their entire lives fighting for their fair share in history. High powered CEOs. Lawyers. Doctors. Soldiers. I understand their rage that someone so ignorant, so petty*, so hypocritical.

Conservatives are convinced that Obama is an empty suit - fair enough. He's new enough to be queasy about trusting our country too.

But the rest of the country sees Palin for what she is.

And empty head.

*Her election to mayor was predicated upon her billing herself as "the first Christian mayor". Sanctimonious @$(*)@

o

Nice try at a dodge.....Or did anyone of you even click on the link?

"I talk about how dumb she is, how vacuous she is, how un-inquisitive, how lying, how hateful, unintelligent, divisive, cunning, how vindictive, how undeveloped and unprepared she is, and how unequivocally and indisputably unqualified for VP she is"

Thanks for describing in exquisite detail Hillary Clinton for me.

That statement sounds pretty hateful and small mindedly petty as well.

o
RE: yet another attempt on Obama's life

Thanks for describing in exquisite detail Hillary Clinton for me.

Don't be dense.

Hillary Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar and is undoubtedly more informed than you. Heck - me too. Comes with the territory.

small mindedly petty

Yes. Noting someone is as dumb as a brick and a dangerous choice to put in control of the planet's most powerful military is petty.

I'm sure there are more important concerns than putting a worse dunce than Bush in a position of total power.

o
Gator, let's play the 'describe Sarah' game

Gator, do you think thermometer was wrong in what was said?

It seems that even I can think of examples for most of the comments..... let's see for lying (or lyin') there was the "I was cleared" and "he pals around with terrorists".

For divisive there are her comments about some people being un-american.

Vindictive, I guess you have Troopergate.

Dumb - where to start? "I can see Russia" "Bush doctrine?" I read lots of stuff but I won't tell you what it is.

Unprepared - see dumb above.

This is kind of fun. We could make it a game. Your turn.

o

gator - I'll reply. I think that is despicable. I really fear for our country. It is so divided. And, there are so many gullible people who, for whatever reason, will believe anything that supports their fears and not try to critically analyze them. I think this applies more to the McCain supporters (where Obama's character is attacked much more than McCain's, and the attacks are race or religion based, for the most part). But, I realize McCain supporters feel the same re Obama supporters.

But, in the end, it comes down to the division in our country. It's frightening. I hope Obama will be able to diminish this. I think it is a reason a lot of people are voting for him. And, I think, it is the Rovian Republicans and hate-talk radio and TV which has fueled this fire for the past 15-20 years.

o

Holy Pierre how did this ever turn into be about Palin?

o

BVE, I'm going to ignore all the attempts to sidetrack your thread and answer your question.

If they have been able to keep Bush safe for the last eight years, I think they can also keep Obama safe. I think they're going to have to work hard but they can do it. I will be happier, though, when he stops appearing in such huge public places. Tell your DH to go ahead and vote for him... and remind him that even if the worst happened, Biden beats the heck out of McPalin in any case.

As to why, I don't understand either -- except that some folks are raised to that kind of hate. McCain's vicious campaign tactics sure didn't help either.

o

Oceanna, I think there are a whole world of other people out there to get Obama than there were Bush.

Racism is a huge, putrid, festering wound on us as a country. Its not about politics, it's part of the every day chit chat language that I experienced in the South. Obviously, not all Southerners feel this way but the ones I came in close contact did with. They didn't want thier pretty daughters working at Target because there were probably some "darkies" there.

I live in an almost completely white area. The only black people I know, I'm friends with. I know there are racists here too, but its impolite to discuss and not socially acceptable. It's more aimed at Mexicans here.

Anyway, I think there is an entire extra layer on the safety cake for Obama than there has been for any other black politician. It sickens me and it saddens me.

o

Obama gets targeted by skinhead white supremacists and the response by Cait when this is brought up for discussion is that Obama supporters are playing the race card! You really are amazing. Thanks for showing us the face of the Republican party so clearly.

o

"The hatred of Sarah Palin by democratic women astounds me as well. They didn't have to know anything about her, just that she was a woman and she was prolife. How can people hate for such ridiculous reasons?"

I don't "hate" anyone. I would suggest that you go back and read my responses on your previous thread. Sarah Palin is the epitome of corrupt politician and an unmitigated disaster for our country. THAT'S why I won't vote for her. I would have no problem supporting Michelle Obama, Jill Biden, Hillary Clinton or any other competent female. Heck-I'd even support myself! I have more experience than Sarah and I've even travelled the world enough to know what other countries really think of us!

Here is a link that might be useful: read my responses please

o

Eric got it right. I did not fight on the front lines of the women's movement to see some dense babe who hasn't got a clue be pushed to the top for no good reason other than a man can make her the fall guy. That is not what women's rights is about, so you might want to do some research on that. If you were truly FOR women's rights, you would recognize the set up in play.

As for her intelligence, my grandchildren had talking dolls that put together better sentences. She is giving inane responses which only proves how inept she is. In case you have not noticed, some Republicans have called for her to step down and since she has not, many have stopped supporting the McCain-Palin ticket. When has that ever happened with another female candidate?

YOU can pretend she is brilliant, just do not try to take down Senator Clinton in the process because she has proven herself on many levels whereas Governor Palin is yet to prove herself on even one.

And do not diminish genuine concern over her being out of her league as being nothing but petty jealousy because the only person you are making look bad with that comment is you. It's sheer idiocy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here