Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Florida's Dozier School For Boys: A True Horror Story

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 19:41

Just heard this on NPR...

"Over the past decade, hundreds of men have come forward to tell gruesome stories of abuse and terrible beatings they suffered at Florida's Dozier School for Boys, a notorious, state-run institution that closed last year after more than a century.

Known as the "White House Boys," these 300-some men were sent as boys to the reform school in the small panhandle town of Mariana in the 1950s and 1960s. They have joined together over the years to tell their stories of the violence administered in a small building on the school's grounds they knew as the White House.

Some 81 boys are known to have died there, but where their remains are buried is a mystery that researchers are now trying to solve."

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida's Dozier School For Boys: A True Horror Story

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Florida's Dozier School For Boys: A True Horror Story

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 19:47

81 deaths?! What the...???

o

Horrible, horrible. I got so engrossed trying to learn more about this nightmare, an hour went by before I realized how I got there in the first place--this post. Don, this is a story that must be told.

o

o

If there isn't a movie made about this, I will be very surprised.

o

How does this sort of thing fly under the radar for so long? How does this kind of horrific authority go unpunished and without in depth investigation? This goes far beyond child abuse.

o

In that part of the country, they were arresting unemployed people, charging them with vagrancy and putting them in chain gangs for 10-20 years in the 70's as well.

We had a thread on that a while back. Amazing stuff that I'd never heard of.

o

Being a Florida teen during the 60s, I often heard (rumors, I hope) of boys being sent to "Mariana". I did not know the actual name of the 'school' until a few years ago when Charlie Crist opened an investigation.

Until the news of the investigation I thought it was just a juvenile detention facility of some sort. Very sad.

ML

o

go unpunished? It probably was endorsed. Awful horrible thing to know. I wish we knew where they were buried. They deserve better.

o
-RE: Florida's Dozier School For Boys: A True Horror Story

Florida Senate bill. My heart is fully broken. Parents whose kids were taken away. Small children punished for mistakes. Minor infractions. So much, I couldn't even go on.

WHEREAS, some of the boys who were physically,
19 psychologically, and sexually abused had been sent to the reform
20 school for "crimes" such as being truant from elementary school,
21 for running away from abusive homes, for running away from
22 foster homes, for being "incorrigible" in an orphanage, for
23 jumping a fence at a city swimming pool, or for smoking, and
24 WHEREAS, many of the boys were not given a trial prior to
25 being sent by the state to the reform schools,

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Senate bill

o

Gulag schools are still up and running, the overwhelming majority of them are operated under the guise of Religion. Very convenient, that. No outside control.

Thanks Don for posting this. Off to read your links now.

o

Well, on the one hand, I'm glad the view of crime isn't quite so narrow any longer, and that we now consider such behavior to be more normal, as in typical teen rebellion. I couldn't imagine being sent to a reform school for truancy or smoking. How ridiculous by today's standards. And then to be treated so physically and emotionally harsh... how could adults do that to kids? What makes adults so cruel?

o

What an awful story! Shameful. I do not understand how anyone can treat a child that way, but clearly it happens. This. The Sandusky case. It's so upsetting.

I also do not understand how this was allowed to go on for so long.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 12:37

Currently youngsters elsewhere are getting lock em up and throw away the key sentences because there is money to be made from doing so.

o

See how evil avarice is, and the cost to others? I just couldn't imagine treating any youth in such a manner. It's one thing to discipline your own children, to guide them through their early years with teachings of what's right and wrong, but to judge them so harshly, imprison them for mild infractions, and physically abuse them is beyond anything parental. How can you not care to that extent?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here