Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did anyone see this tonight?

Posted by greatgollymolly (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 22:13

It was really funny, both Romney and Obama shared some jokes about themselves and each other. Very funny. It aired on Hannity, not sure if it was on any other networks. If you want to see it the Hannity show reruns in a couple of hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alfred Smith dinner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did anyone see this tonight?

I didn't but I have seen it in the past. I'll have to watch it on the web.

o

OM Goodness, I was laughing so hard I couldn't stop!

Romney was a riot--he delivered some GREAT lines.

Obama did well, too, and had some good jokes, but I sort of felt sorry for him referring to his first debate. He seemed sort of sad.

It's good to see candidates able to make fun of one another and themselves in good humor.

o

It's a New York Tradition and the wit is generally supposed light & polite & more self effacing than anything else.
The President made 3 light jabs at Romney 1 of which was about his own name. Romney took it up a level which was poor form but still got laughs. 8 Pot shots at the President more like a celebrity roast.
Al Smith was a great NY Democrat & progressive!
Now John McCain was funny even George Bush was funny!

Here is a link that might be useful: SPITE FULL TROLL

o

Romney was very funny. Since Dennis Miller is now working with Romney's campaign I'm wondering if he helped write his jokes. I've seen Obama a lot funnier, but maybe the joke writer he had then is not the same one he has now. Obama has a very good sense of humor and is very funny when he is relaxed. I've always said he has a great personality, just don't like his politics.

o

"Since Dennis Miller is now working with Romney's campaign I'm wondering if he helped write his jokes. "

I don't know. Did the jokes seem like they came from 1983?

o

I don't get Fox. One of the few channels I won't pay for. Thankfully it was televised elsewhere.

I thought they both did great. But Obama was much funnier and his delivery much better.

~Ann

o

Yes I've seen OBAMA funnier also again this isn't a celebrity rip em to pieces roast or the Press Corp Dinner.
Light & witty is the name of the game. Romney was spiteful!

o

I loved it and also laughed loud.

GGMolly, I was thinking when Romney was standing there
throwing out those funnies one after the other, that
he must have someone on board that is a comic!

I didn't know he had Dennis Miller.
No wonder I laughed all the way through it.

Obama had some good ones too and I enjoyed all of it.

o

Yup; it was fun--very much like a roast.

o

I despise Dennis Miller and think he is the unfunniest person on earth. Romney must have thought the debate was still on...he did eight or nine "jabs" at Obama while Obama did two or three. Obama is naturally relaxed and funny. Mitt the stiff looked stupid and was unfunny.

As the moderators said, they intensely dislike each other. There wasn't this hatred in 2008 with McCain. Even Bush was funnier than Mitty.

o

Why don't you say what you are really feeling, lily? You have been keeping all those feeling too bottled up.

o

Apparently, the jokes or jabs at the Alfred E Smith dinner are usually more in the way of light humor than what you typically hear at a Roast. Obama poked more fun at himself than he did Romney. I think Romney only made one joke about himself and it was something about what he and Ann wear around the house.

~Ann

o

You weren't paying close attention then, Ann.

Romney made several jokes at his expense in addition to the one about what they wear around the house.

o

Romney could have done a lot better poking fun at himself. His writers did the event a disservice in this vein.

On the other hand, body language said a lot...

o

Yeah, saw it.
Loved it.

Observation:

One could see the "inside" of the candidates, based on how they joked.

-one was including all types of jokes.
-the other thought it was a ROAST, not a lighthearted joke session. Mean streak was showing. I felt partly uncomfortable.

o

Mitt's mean streak is always lurking, even when he tries to be funny.

o

Obama was so gracious and Mitty made me uncomfortable. I guess he didn't get the memo that it wasn't a roast.

o

I'm not a fan of Dennis Miller. So if he was Romney's joke writer that probably explains why some of his jokes reeked of mean. Apparently his team didn't get the message that it wasn't a Roast.

This one in particular rubbed me the wrong way. Should have left wives out of the jokes.

Romney added that he and Obama are both "very lucky to have one person who's always in our corner, someone who we can lean on and someone who is a comforting presence without whom we wouldn't be able to go another day. I have my beautiful wife, Ann; he has Bill Clinton."

o

One was including all types of jokes.
-the other thought it was a ROAST, not a lighthearted joke session. Mean streak was showing. I felt partly uncomfortable.

Notto your uncomfortable feeling was a twitter comment that was expressed a lot about one of the candidates.

It is okay. Everything works as it should so I welcome when things like that happen. It is subliminal things that follow people into the voting booth.

o

Some of you are offended by what Romney said, but you find all of Obama's attack ads just right, is that what you are saying? LOL Romney killed em with his jokes. He was fantastic. Obmaa had some good ones, but not as good as Romney's. Dang, can't you people admit anything that is true, instead just hanging on to your anger and hatred for Romney? That's sad, it really is.

o

Some of you are offended by what Romney said, but you find all of Obama's attack ads just right, is that what you are saying?

GGM, what are you ranting about now? The discussion is about the Smith dinner. No one has said anything about ads pro or con? Are you talking to yourself?

Some posters are off the wall today. Full moon?

o

Romney came across as a mean smug elitist. Not funny, but if Dennis Miller , who's certifiably insane, is writing your jokes, it's no wonder they weren't funny.

o

Some posters are off the wall today. Full moon?

No, just startlingly misinformed.

o

Apparently desperate times call for desperate insults.

o

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 9:44

Apparently desperate times call for desperate insults.

Finally something I can agree with you on Demi. I too thought Romney's jokes/insults sounded desperate.

o

I was referring to the remarks here.

Glad we agree anyway that insults are flying. ;)

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 10:50

Romney & Bush aren't very comfortable making jokes about themselves, but when Bush was on that stage he did bite the self deprecating bullet better and with a little more class than Romney.

o

As much as I couldn't stand Bush, I did think he could be self deprecating and sometimes funny. He's rich too, but doesn't live the high and mighty life Romney does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here