Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the potential repub vp just said on "international" tv that h

Posted by youngquinn VIC Aust (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 22:26

he cannot separate his religion from his public life !!

Women of America be warned.
A womans right to chose will be challenged.
and why did he have that silly look on his face??

2 catholics....and only one seeks to impose his views on American women.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the potential repub vp just said on "international" tv th

Get your religion out of my politics!!!!!

o

he cannot separate his religion from his public life !!

Too bad that Ryan jettisoned the Catholic mission of social justice. I guess Ayn Rand was too alluring for him.

o

Yes he said that Pam !
I have no idea what Romney position is at the moment he has had so many & you never know when Andrea Saul will walk back any of them.
Everyone always goes after the emotional abortion Catholic thing but never asks will you initiate the launch sequences for nuclear war if the president is taken out.
Morally a Catholic cannot do this as NUCLEAR WAR is never defensible according to the Current Catholic Catechism nor is preemptive warfare which would mean he couldn't justifiably attack IRAN's Nuclear facilities. I think everyone knows an attack on those facilities would probably be something more than a bunker buster.

o

Yes Joe I was watching it live and I could not believe my ears and eyes. Is he that naive? or just plain silly?
saying that means that he wiull be by his own admission duty bound to impose catholic doctrine....allright he would only be the VP but as you say.....the pres can be taken out.

I did not like his answer "only in Americas national interests regarding troops......whatabot humanitarian reasons?

he just seemed like a silly smug schoolboy to me....and my eyes are fresh as I have never set eyes on him before .

Yes I agree that it would have been a better question to ask"if you cant seperate your religion how would you do something agaisnt that religion if needed (like , as you say launching a nuke)
Dont you sometimes wish YOU could be asking the questions??
esh I am with you as I would hate a pollie telling me what I can do with my body.
imposing catholic views surely has to mean that non catholics cannot vote for this ticket? or doersnt it metter because he is only gonna be the VP?

o

He said he couldn't separate his public life from his private life. That statement should totally disqualify Ryan.

o

Youngquinn,

You seem almost surprised that an American politician drags his religious beliefs into his politics.

Where I live, we get high exposure to American stations, American news and other American media. From what I see, a politician is EXPECTED to bring his religion to the table.

God bless America, right?

o
RE: the potential repub vp just sai6d on "international" tv t

but Hammy what about those constituents who dont SHARE his religion ??? He is telling them that he willl IGNORE their views!!

Whover wins an election in Australia ...they alwasy make a point of saying they willrepresent all Australians even those who didnt vote for them

o

make a point of saying they willrepresent all Australians even those who didnt vote for them

As it should be!

o

but Hammy what about those constituents who dont SHARE his religion ???

Historically, I haven't seen where that matters.

During the last election there, they ran election advertisements against their opponents who took donations from "godless atheists"... or openly fighting for same sex marriage is political suicide...

Heck, look at some of the things said about Romney. Pointing out that he's a Mormon, he's not Christian... Right here on this forum there has been one person outright state that they would never vote for him JUST because he's a Mormon... not his policies, but his religion.

And Obama... people say he's a Muslim and the knee jerk reaction is to say "No he's not! He's Christian!". Why? Because no matter what, being viewed as not Christian affects people's vote. Politicians in the USA need to identify their religion and it should be Christian or at least a reasonable facsimile.

Religion is already bound into American politics so deeply, it should not surprise that an American politician drags his private beliefs into his politics.

o

God bless America, right?

You're on the American continent too! And so is Mexico,

o

Now Romney also said he�s said he�d be delighted to sign a bill banning all abortions. All meaning all!
Mothers lives be damned & the SHARON ANGLE approach of when live hand you rape or incest make lemonade.
It was a weak position to take but would probably escape notice of anyone of the crickets on this forum!

o

I thought the most telling bit was when the Moderator asked Ryan if women should be concerned about abortion rights if Romney / Ryan are elected. Long pause, and then something about unelected judges.

Watch that one get played over and over and over on the tv ads.

o

Well in a good number of states there is a move to purge SUPREME COURT JUDGES not for appearances of impropriety or judicial misdeed but for not towing the PARTY lines. Those are elected Judges & they have been misbehaving! In IOWA the judges based on conservative principles passed Marriage Equality based on the interpretation of the States Constitution. This just would not do so they need to be purged & funding has poured in from all over the country to remove judges who up & until this decision were (just fine)

In Florida

Under Florida's system of choosing Supreme Court justices, the governor makes the initial appointments, then voters get to decide every six years whether to keep them. This system of "retention elections" was intended to avoid the politicization of the courts associated with regular, multicandidate judicial elections.

Connect With Us on Twitter
For Op-Ed, follow @nytopinion and to hear from the editorial page editor, Andrew Rosenthal, follow @andyrNYT.
It is not working out that way this time. Some conservatives are trying to purge three moderate justices facing a retention vote in November: R. Fred Lewis, Barbara Pariente and Peggy Quince. The only Democratic appointees on the state's seven-member court, they are being singled out for various rulings, including a decision in 2010 that blocked from the ballot a misleadingly worded constitutional amendment designed to permit the state to opt out of national health care reform.

An effort to remove the two Republican judges who voted with them on the case failed two years ago. But this year's antiretention drive, which is being led by a group based in Orlando with ties to the Tea Party, Restore Justice 2012, appears more robust, and it is being aided and abetted by the Republican governor, Rick Scott.

These Elected State Supreme Court Judges will be as important as any non elected Supreme Court Justices as State by state enacts laws that throw road blocks in ever manner of politicized decisions not least of which is women's health care & Marriage equality.

o

I loved the long pause when Ryan was asked the question. His little mind was working overtime. The difference between two Catholics. One governing by the law, the other by his personal beliefs.

o

He may not be able to separate his religion from his public life but his Church does not believe his policies are in keeping with his religion.

Bit of a conundrum........

o

his Church does not believe his policies are in keeping with his religion.

I was wondering why Biden didn't bring that up, chase. Why didn't he mention the nuns on the bus and their message that his policies are immoral and against their teachings?

o

Biden is a devote Catholic as well. I don't think he would use his Church to make political points. He is a principled man.

o

They are both Catholic. Biden could say he agrees with the nuns (and the bishops that also recently came out saying the same thing) that the Romney/Ryan budget is immoral. Assuming he does really agree with that, I don't see anything wrong with saying that.

o

It is amazing that Ryan can only separate his religion when it comes to money but a woman's body he just cannot separate his religion.

I remember my pastor saying "Those are the people that can lay their religion down and go back and pick it up after they do their dirt"

o

I could too but I think Biden would have a very difficult time using his Church for a political purpose.

o

Republicans - the Reese's of the political world.

Get your religion out of my politics, and keep politics out of religion!

Women shouldn't relax for a second... no minority should. Not with this current group of rabid, obsessive fanatics!

If this guy can't keep his private and public lives separate, he's got issues... and by extension, so do we! If he makes it to office, that is. Nothing seals a vote like an announcement of that magnitude... no way can I give my vote to a guy who can't keep his private life private.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 12:52

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) � An endorsement from a Tennessee congressman who in a recorded phone conversation urged a mistress to get an abortion has vanished from Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's website.

Freshman Rep. Scott DesJarlais, who opposes abortion rights, told a Nashville talk radio show Thursday that while there were many difficult elements to his 2001 divorce, "there was no pregnancy, and no abortion."

But DesJarlais did not dispute the transcript of a recorded phone conversation in which he urges the woman to terminate a pregnancy."

o

nancy in venice - I may be splitting hairs, but I live on the NORTH American continent, not the American continent and your song "God Bless America" and phrase "God bless America" has nothing to do with me.

I've always found it to be a rather presumptuous song and what I find interesting is that it was written by Irving Berlin, an immigrant Jew.

o

blfenton - I always cringe when I hear anyone use that phrase, and that includes President Obama. I suppose there would be a great outcry if he left it out, but that statement from anyone is so embarrassing, as though we were somehow God's "chosen people", and what about those of us who are agnostics or atheists? What does this do to the statement that religion and government should be separate? And, frankly, is just sounds hokey to me. Public declarations about religion outside of a church or religious setting always strike me that way, no matter who says them.

o

Here's some novel ideas vs killing babies, take a freaking birth control pill, wear a condom, take the morning after pill or do any of the other 40 methods of birth control that are out there. If you are raped or your life is in danger than the law will allow an abortion. Other than that take responsibility for yourself for God's sake and shut up about women having to run for the hills if Romney is elected. It's so stupid and immature and sounds like something that would come right out of Biden's mouth.

o

The point is GGM, Ryan doesn't believe that . He believes a baby is an innocent and should be born under rape or incest. He's lying now, what's new? But if they get in office, all bets are off. Roe v Wade will be reversed and abortion will become illegal across America. Ryan is lying as usual.

o

GGM,

Great ideas, great suggestions, but nothing is absolute, nothing is for sure, nothing is perfect, birth control methods to have a habit of failing even when used correctly.

Try and understand that, and try and understand that your GOP candidates are members of a party that wants a woman's right to terminate her pregnancy turned into something that is illegal, unable to be obtained, and they have made many a statement that they want to have Roe v. Wade overturned.

There is nothing stupid or immature to be concerned, worried about what a Romney/Ryan ticket would do to women.
Their conservative values, the fact that Ryan's religion can not be separated from his personal life, that his religion and his political life are one in the same, that both he and Romney are Pro life, and that Romney is nothing more than a flip flopping poor excuse for a presidential candidate, says it all.

Romney panders for the religious right, and Ryan is one of those religious right believers.

You can think all you want that women have nothing to worry about with a Romney/Ryan win, continue to live in your "GGM fantasy world" and your fellow GOP supporters can join you there, the rest of us will do everything in our power to prevent the Romney/Ryan ticket from winning this election.
Women's rights, everything that women have gained in rights, including their rights to control their own reproductive rights, just to name one thing, are on the line with this election, and anyone that thinks that is a crock, well there is a bridge I can sell you.

o

"I've always found it to be a rather presumptuous song and what I find interesting is that it was written by Irving Berlin, an immigrant Jew."

Berlin became a U.S. citizen when he was 29, and he was reportedly very patriotic.

o

Here's some novel ideas vs killing babies,

greatgollymolly,
It is what has been stressed by every liberal response on HT. But the party you are supporting answer is.....

Defund Planned Parenthood. The major organization that deliver women health services. Birth Control, Breast Cancer Screening etc.

A child of incest forced to have the baby from an adult that has assaulted her.

Rape victim cannot receive the morning after pill. Because in Ryan's first Bill she was going to have to prove it was forceable rape.. or Personhood any fertilized egg is a baby and it is protected under the constitution. What does that make the woman. I would think that makes me unprotected and nothing more than a incubator.

Object to the Insurance company giving birth control pills for free because..... Ryan is Catholic and they do not believe in contraception. So his religion should be the standard for all...

My understanding of what the Republican Party is standing firmly on.....If you are a woman. You have sex at your own risk. If you get pregnant under any circumstances it is your fault so suffer the results. It is irrelevant to us if you were raped, could not afford birth control (there are married women that cannot afford to buy birth control without Planned Parenthood, or if the insurance that the husband and wife income is not sufficient to pay for birth control).

Now they have put all these road blocks of prevention and you say take the pill.

What is your other suggestion because your party does not support that option?

o

Told ya--as soon as Mom's thread falls off the frontpage, back to the crocodile tears it is.

It has been made clear that their anti-abortion stance is a fake--zero credibility.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here