Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ho Hum, Pentagon Style

Posted by nancy_in_venice_ca SS24 z10 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 0:44

"Culture of corruption" was a phrase used to describe SNAP recipients who overspent their limits. When overspending occurs with the Pentagon, it's business as usual.

I'm feeling faint and am clutching my jewel-encrusted dog tags. Please roll out the camouflage fainting couch.

From the mouthpiece of the Cominterm, the Washington Post.

Leave it to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) to bring up the uncomfortable reality of defense procurement overruns, focusing initially on an added $500 million needed for the CVN-78 -- the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier whose cost overruns have grown to $2 billion.

McCain went on to ask Air Force Chief of Staff Gen.l Mark Welsh III: "Has anybody been fired because of the cost overruns of the F-35? I don't think so." As of March 2013, GAO had put the F-35 cost overruns at $1.2 billion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ho Hum, Pentagon Style

Hey, but think of the fear we are putting into peoples all of the world with our new carrier--anchors away!

o

Because it's so much more humanitarian to over pay for a giant hunk of metal war machine than it is to feed the hungry...

What a hog trough the Pentagon feasts at...

o

Defense spending can do no wrong in the eyes of conservatives, I guess.

o

I thought the joke was, "has anyone been fired". Not in this administration!

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 8:40

I thought the joke was, "has anyone been fired". Not in this administration!

If Kathleen Sebelius hasn't been fired, that tells us all we need to know about this administration.

Of course, as a read the other day, the biggest thing Barack Obama ran before taking the Presidency was a Senate Office.

ROTF except it makes me want to cry to think we could elect someone with so little experience in anything other than talking.

o

All the big powers spent similar amounts of insane money on the immense battleships that were believed to be invincible, and most of which were sunk during WWII before they could be brought to bear - by airplanes from carriers, mostly.

That's how the military thinkers view carriers now - pretty much invincible. Of course, they may be missing something.

o

The last person elected President had four years experience as President of the United States.

~Ann

o

That's how the military thinkers view carriers now - pretty much invincible. Of course, they may be missing something.

During the Clinton-era Balkans War, they were knocking out tanks by firing some munition that landed on the armor, exploded, and sent something the size of a pencil into the tank, killing everyone inside. So much for 3" or steel protecting you.

I imagine that somewhere, somebody has or will shortly develop a similar cheap munition that will render war ships obsolete.

o

The last person elected President had four years experience as President of the United States.

Good one, AnnT--and true. Bears repeating!

Kate

o

Yea, and he didn't learn a thing.

o

If you divorce yourself from the idea that military spending has anything to do with military readiness or protecting US then you don't get so heated up about the fantastic amounts of money spent. Military spending is about the transfer of wealth from taxpayers into the pockets of powerful people who happen to reside in certain states where they have an impact on who gets elected to congress. It is congress who makes up our budgets and each and every one of them wants as big a piece of the military money pie as they can get for their home state and their home backers. This is almost impossible for any president to fight.

As a by the way-the only president to become president who had any experience in being president was George H. Bush because he was acting president during Reagans colon surgery. I cant say I noticed any superior functioning there.

o

Military spending is about the transfer of wealth from taxpayers into the pockets of powerful people

When the class warfare is directed downwards, there's no recognition of the problem -- willful blindness. When the so-called job creators are fleecing the public, no comments.

When there's an overcharge of some hundred dollars on an EBT card, it means the end of Western Civilization.

It's the silly season -- again -- at Hot Topics.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 14:38

A year-round event.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here