Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA)

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 1:01

Dana Rohrabacher wants to chair the Science Committee (what was that about Bobby Jindal's suggestion on a dumbed down party)!

"I intend to be a chairman who exemplifies the Republican philosophy that science, technology and innovation offer a pathway to a better, more prosperous future, and solve problems that bureaucracy and rampant government spending cannot,"

This is the whizzz for brains kid that asked

"Is there some thought being given to subsidizing the clearing of rainforests in order for some countries to eliminate that production of greenhouse gases? Or would people be supportive of cutting down older trees in order to plant younger trees as a means to prevent this disaster from happening?"

Another bright light of the committee

Rep. Paul Broun telling supporters that evolution and the big bang theory "are lies straight from the pit of hell." Broun is a member of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA)

Guess they won't be going to any Mensa meetings...

o

How can you chair or be a member of a committee when you reject the very ideas it stands for? Am I missing something? Other than the fact that you keep your friends close, and your enemies closer...

o

Wait wait. She thinks you should cut the rain forest to cut greenhouse gasses? Really? Is this a joke?

o

Thank you, Republicans, for providing fodder to Colbert and Stewart, and for securing your party's place in the scheme of things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wow.

o

She thinks you should cut the rain forest to cut greenhouse gasses? Really? Is this a joke?

That sounds like something the Onion would think up.

o

That man (Dana's a he, Elly) is as big a joke as Bachmann on the science committee. Any self-respecting Republican has got to writhe every time these jokers hit the news. My dad's an arch-republican scientist and he cannot stand them.

o

They learned their science lessons well from reading or listening to Ronnie Reagan who claimed the Redwoods and other trees caused air pollution.

I can't believe Dana has avoided jail and keeps being re-elected.

o

I sure hope Bill Foster is on that committee

He's an actual scientist! Just imagine that. A real scientist.

o

I can't believe Dana has avoided jail and keeps being re-elected.

You can fool some of people all the time.

o

Ha! I love this line, Momj47:

Foster's win doubles the number of physicists in Congress

And something for all politicians to heed: political campaigns are now national events, no matter how local the seat:

Although he may not have needed the help, Foster's standing as a scientist served him well during the campaign. Records from the Federal Election Commission show that hundreds of scientists from all over the country donated nearly $400,000 to his campaign.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 10:06

I got emails about from his campaign, I live in Maryland. Glad to know I'm a scientist! I think all the faculty and a lot of the staff at our University got them.

o

TODAY he called the President a LIAR!
Here he is in Afghanistan as an honorary Mujaheddin seriously !

o

Labrea, but was it "LIAR" in outraged Demi caps, or was it just plain jane "liar"?

o

now, now, now & no, no, no I will not speak to such things! CAPS your say!
LOL

o

And all along I thought this Dana was a woman when I saw the name.

o

My advice to republicans: Do not cut funding for education. And go back to school somewhere in the north.

o

And go back to school somewhere in the north.

Oh, you wound me! There are good schools in the South ....

o

Unfortunately, it is the Texas school system that teaches they were accepted into the Union on the condition that they would be free to leave it any time they wanted.

Don't you remember Gov. Perry being panned nationally for making that comment? Well, it is a commonplace understanding in Texas because they are taught it from grade school on up. I know--my daughter went to school there for 3 years. Took me a number of years afterwards to convince her that was incorrect information.

Perhaps some should heed elly's advice.

By the way, it is true that the northeast has some of the highest school ratings in the nation.

Kate

o

Dana is from behind the Orange Curtain in California

o

From Elly's article:
House Republicans have routinely challenged the Obama administration's climate change policies, passing legislation that would restrict the EPA's regulatory powers and zero out funding for a number of domestic and international science programs.

But speaking with reporters after the hearing, Stern warned of major diplomatic fallout if House Republicans succeeded in forcing the United States to disengage on the international climate stage.

"This is seen to be one of the core issues, frankly, facing humanity, and for the United States to take itself out of the game and sit on the sidelines would be very detrimental to our overall standing and leverage and credibility in the world," he said. "We're obviously not doing that. We're doing just the opposite."

I don't know if I ever wrote about it here on HT, but last year there was a flap in the German press about the Frankfurt airport (one of the top busiest in the world) levying an environmental fee on all airlines using the facilities there.

The fee wasn't the flap: it was the American airline companies who refused to pay it, citing "insufficient evidence of global warning". The tone of the German reports was amusing but painful: the Americans were written up using the same tone that we might use for aborigines who insist on amulets instead of medicine. I'll have to see whatever became of that.

o

Well they should write us up that way!

o

Damn embarrassing!

o

I saw Dana on Anderson Cooper tonight. What a turd.

o

Does anyone remember when Rohrabacher asked Iraq to repay us, in part or full, for liberating them? Yeah, he really did.

o

Yeah I remember that. He was asked to leave the country. Moron.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here