Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The IT Way and Politics

Posted by eibren z6PA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 1:17

Computer programming is no longer a failsafe construction by intelligent, rational programmers who use failsafe loops of logic to produce failsafe programs.

Instead, new computer programs tend to be built on older ones, and those on programs that existed even earlier.

What the general public seems not to realize, and what anti-Obama pundits are counting on the public not realizing, is that most computer programs these days are very much works in progress, with defects arising during use leading to pragmatic programming fixes.

The most computer-memory sparing (and therefore fastest) programs are in machine language, which is simply binary code, unreadable by any human. Computer programs called "compilers" translate programs from one computer language into another, and then, sometimes, into machine language. From that point, a computer program's evolution is basically empirically evaluated by whether or not it seems to be working as its designers hoped it would. Almost no one develops a computer program from scratch anymore, and the failings in a particular new program may just as well be due to an older program it was built upon as a new y programmed portion. Companies have people trained to try to detect glitches in new programs, but in many instances the glitches do not turn up until significant useage and feedback from actual users has occurred.

Added to the above is the dismal fact that most governmental programs make little logical sense in a manner that a computer could recognize as same.

Now enter the very same politicians that have been blocking Obama's healthcare program all along--the very same ones who insisted that the healthcare structure continue to be as overloaded with as many insurance providers as possible to maximize profits sitting on the backs of the ill--to complain that a website based on a computer program trying to logically express the illogical is having a slow startup...after their having done everything they possibly could, fair or unfair, including their useage of the "big lie" technique, to derail or harmfully alter the process the programmers were trying to create a website for.

Now, THERE is something to truly retch about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The IT Way and Politics

Eibren, put a sock in it. This lovely little screw up doesn't have a thing with those who think it is bad law and bad social engineering. It has everything to do with those politicians and their pet bureaucrats who assumed they knew better than anyone else how to set up and run one of if not the largest system in existence. Their choices were questionable all the way through the writing of the law to the ongoing crashes of a poorly conceived system they and they alone kept tweaking. Just the fact that testing even more than normal was not done is enough to make anyone who has even a vague understanding of programming laugh themselves silly.

Technology doesn't solve all problems. Blaming computer problems on those who don't agree with your idea of a social system is childish. That idea would flunk basic logic.

And before you start claiming I don't know anything about IT or computers or programming, I was in the business for over 20 years and I have two sons in IT. I gave them their first lessons in computers, logic and programming. I probably have more understanding of what goes on than a huge percentage of Americans. Everything I have seen so far gives me no confidence in the program or the people behind it, tech or political.

Take a look at your own logic. Would you try to present a system as operational when you knew it was not? How in the world do the feelings and even words of opponents of a law affect lines of code? Fact...they don't. Blame them all you want, it won't correct a single thing.

Simple fact. This law had no input from Republicans. In fact they were kept out of the loop deliberately. No one knew what was in the law before it was voted on. It was passed by Democrats only, most of whom had no idea what was in the thing. Who knows, if Obama had been willing to negotiate and let the law be read, the screw ups in the law that are showing up might have been seen and avoided before they became the law of the land.

Between the programming flaws and the flaws in the law itself, this is a crap shoot. And it all is the fault of the President and his sycophants. There's not a republican in the bunch.

o

With the Clintons running for cover you know that Obama blew it...

o

Computer programs don't lie.

The president did.

o

Speaking of IT and politics, the obamacare website was supposed to "facilitate" voter registration.

Democrats envisioned that after millions of grateful Americans got their "affordable health care" the website would assist them in registering to vote.

Oh the irony!

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

We can find some guy in a HUT in Somali yadda yadda yadda! (I figured I'd just get that analogy out of the way now)

o

Nah Joe...he has a better idea. He's just going to hack into the system and get all the personal info he needs to buy a McMansion and move out of that hut.

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 8:30

Nah Joe...he has a better idea. He's just going to hack into the system and get all the personal info he needs to buy a McMansion and move out of that hut.

ROTF!

I dreamed about Obamacare navigators last night--they looked like pirates!

Unfortunately, Obamacare is a nightmare for much of the nation!

o

Signature Achievement.

Check out the pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain

o

ROTF!

Now that is ONE I am going to forward.

Where is our usually running off at the mouth president?

He's hiding under the oval office desk?

Sure way to get Bill Clinton back to straighten things out!

o

He's in Cleveland today. Attempting to take credit for the hard work and perseverance of a steel mill and its employees.

o

He's in Cleveland today. Attempting to take credit for the hard work and perseverance of a steel mill and its employees

I suppose all his green energy companies have gone belly up huh?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 9:50

One out of eight jobs in Ohio is connected to the auto industry ...

"....when Obama took office in 2009, the economy was in the tank, the American auto industry was hemorrhaging hundreds of thousands of jobs and General Motors and Chrysler were near collapse. The state of the industry was crushing companies like ArcelorMittal.

Obama decided to give temporary help to the auto industry to help it bounce back. Since then, the industry has added 357,000 jobs.

ArcelorMittal Cleveland sells about half of the steel it produces to the auto sector and the company overall is the largest supplier of steel to the U.S. auto manufacturing sector. Industries like steel, which rely so much on auto manufacturing, have fueled most of the job growth in manufacturing in the last three-plus years. Besides recalling workers who had been furloughed, ArcelorMittal has hired 150 more employees in recent years."

Guess Romney was right and we should have allowed the auto industry to go in the tank ... then we would have more unemployed than employed. Know you won't like the article, but you will LOVE the comments. Have fun.

Wanted to add: Kasich dismissed the idea of financial aid for the auto industry, like Romney he felt we shouldn't throw good money after bad. Now that it is showing success, Kasich is very pleased that Americans have jobs he originally opposed saving.

And now you want to give credit where it is not due?

Here is a link that might be useful: source

This post was edited by ohiomom on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 10:03

o

He's been on the run lately.

The NEA and teacher's union is attempting to corner him about his promise to erase their student loans "if" they commit to be lifelong educators in our society.

To:
Barack Obama, President of the United States of America
I just signed the following petition addressed to: President Barack Obama.

----------------
Erase Student Loan's for Teachers

When the president was campaigning during the last election, he spoke to the National Education Association. During his speech he promised to implement a student loan forgiveness program that would erase student loan debt for all educators who have chosen to dedicate their career to the public service of teaching. He has yet to implement this plan. We would like him to keep his promise to support educators.
----------------

Sincerely,

Sincerely,
[Your name]

He's been running away from that promise.

The simple way to repay the loans for teachers is to pass another school levy....for the kids, of course.

o

eibren, I mean this in a nice way. Just want to get that out of the way because so far, this thread has not been personal against any poster. This:

"Now enter the very same politicians that have been blocking Obama's healthcare program all along--the very same ones who insisted that the healthcare structure continue to be as overloaded with as many insurance providers as possible to maximize profits sitting on the backs of the ill--to complain that a website based on a computer program trying to logically express the illogical is having a slow startup...after their having done everything they possibly could, fair or unfair, including their useage of the "big lie" technique, to derail or harmfully alter the process the programmers were trying to create a website for."

...is a "Steinbeck sentence" to me. It's exhausting; what are you saying?

o

OMom...

I'm very glad that the steel industry there has made some progress. However, to pin a star on Obama as the champion and the reason.....that's far, far fetched. :)

Did you get snow?

o

Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 13:25

I wasn't "pinning a star on Obama as a champion", I was explaining to the "out of towners" why the steel industry ie: ArcelorMittal was saved from closing down and that was because of the auto bailout. It is also true that Kasich opposed the bailout which would have closed them down. Thought you knew this.

Yes we got snow ...

o

Obama didn't save the auto industry or the unions, your tax dollars did that. :) Did you know that GM still owes us $16.4 billion?

And, he used your tax dollars to bail out Wall Street and his friendly bankers. You know the ones people at HT hate so much. :)
That 1%.

o

brush: "And, he used your tax dollars to bail out Wall Street and his friendly bankers. You know the ones people at HT hate so much. :)
That 1%."

Wait a minute. Weren't there some posters crowing about their Wall Street profits on another thread here today? Surely they are not greedy 1%ers. Not them.

o

Wait a minute. Weren't there some posters crowing about their Wall Street profits on another thread here today? Surely they are not greedy 1%ers. Not them.

I swan!

o

Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 22:32

The steel mill had shut down their furnaces with the crash of 2008 ... oh never mind y'all aren't the least bit interested in people keeping their jobs and I am too tired to play.

Nite...

o

I stand by my analysis.

Thanks for the comparison to Steinbeck, too...I didn't realize he copied my style.

;o)

o

You're most welcome. I think you could sue ;-)

And good for you, and a goodnight, too.

o

OMom,

The president skipped a visit to Lockheed Martin in Akron, just down the road from Cleveland. The UAW is losing 500 jobs there by 2015. Defense spending is down, therefore the union brothers and sisters will suffer a devastating loss of income.

He failed to visit them with any encouraging news.

o

Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 7:18

Well I see morning is a continuation of evening .... Brush you hate unions and the Obama wars so what do you care if anyone loses their jobs. I would imagine you are celebrating 4000 jobs lost (yep not just Akron).

4000 more families will be affected by loss of employment, excuse me if I do not celebrate with you.

Don't bother with a come back, I am tired of games.

o
Medical Insurers Couldn't Offer Complient Policies

....to the customers they were already doing business with?

Then what else is needed to show that many medical insurance companies have not been operating in good faith?

It is "business as usual" to try to hold onto your customers, and, therefore, to do things to try to benefit them.

The way policies have been closing is indicative of a political, not a business, process, and underscores the negative results of trying to further enrich an industry which no longer feels it has to work to the benefit of its clients, due to its political power.

Perhaps the one payer option was the best way to go after all.

00/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here