Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone want to talk about their outside decorations?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 4:32

Do you string the gutters, the bushes, the trees. Do you have those big air displays? How about a nativity scene?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone want to talk about their outside decorations?

nope, a waste of elelctricity. bah Humbug! but we DO say "Merry Christmas" over here....and give the approriate greeting to those of other cultures/religions when the time is right.

(I DID get in...the threat of david was enough to sort out the problem )!!

o

nope, a waste of elelctricity. bah Humbug! but we DO say "Merry Christmas" over here....and give the approriate greeting to those of other cultures/religions when the time is right.

(I DID get in...the threat of david was enough to sort out the problem )!!

o

Is it controversial to do so? Or controversial not to do so?

o

Just do your thing, whatever your thing is...

o

A wreath on the door, that's my outside decorations. I love to look at everyone else's, but too much work taking all that stuff down.

o

Our new neighborhood is run by a HOA Nazi! It's true! But we love it because every street, (ours is a 6 house cul de sac) has its own theme. Each street team submits a plan for approval and we make it happen.

Door wreath
Landscape lighting changed to red & green bulbs. No solar ones that crap out at midnight, we hardwired them so they are bright and glowing.
Uplighted trees (3) and bows on the lamp posts.

From what I see out there, all the neighbors participate, regardless of religious affiliation. Neighborhood harmony. :)

o

We always had lights outlining the sidewalk and circle drive.

Since DH died I've tried, I've had someone else try, and they just don't stay lit when it rains, which it usually does.

I need commercial lights for the ground, which every year I say I'll get and I forget about it until it's too late, like now.

Usually a wreath and white twinkling lights on the balcony and/or around the front door is all I will do.

Since I collect flying pigs that might be fun to have a giant Christmas Flying Pig with a spotlight, but it would have to be huge since I'm a good distance off the road.

When we built I had electrical outlets installed under the eaves just so I could light the house. We never did it.

It's a thought to do it this year, though, maybe not too late to hire someone to come out and do that and take them down.

Thanks, tobr, I'll try to get around to that today !

o

A sprig of hemlock and a sign lettered in garish glitter
"Surrender all Hope Ye who enter Here!"

o

We put out our traditional chili pepper wreath! It's reminiscent of the tail of a B-52...but red! I also like to do luminaria. I have metal luminaria that take those little warming candles and put them down my walkway. They are lit for about 4 hours each night (until the candle burns out).

In Florida, the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays are really low key and, for me, the lack of stress is wonderful.

o

I do a Nutcracker display. There is a local trade school woodworking that were making holiday decoration. So to support them I had them make my display a couple of years ago.

I had enough made to line the driveway and entrance on either side of the driveway and either side of the front door. They did a nice job. The ones for the front of the driveway entrance and for either side of the door they made them 8' tall and the ones going down the driveway are 5' and 4' tall.

Trees and bushes will be white lights. The Nutcracker are colorful enough.

If you have a school like this in your area check them out I have seen some nice displays they have made of other holiday themes and you can use them for years and it is good to support kids trying to earn some holiday money.

o

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 9:52

A sprig of hemlock and a sign lettered in garish glitter
"Surrender all Hope Ye who enter Here!"

This person whose values and thoughts you detest thinks that is hilarious.

o

On January 7th the Traditional "Go away Now" sign returns!

o

One big, fresh wreath plus my own wide satin ribbon and 'frosted' ornaments. It's enough 'special effort' to mark the season -- making the wreath and hanging it. Ours comes down a bit before Twelfth Night. We depart for Maui Jan. 4.

Please tell me you don't begin a display NOW, or worse, risk bad luck by leaving it up past Twelfth Night!

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 10:49

I probably won't even put up a tree ... I may change the flowers on my apartment door wreath, but probably not.

Joe love the signs :)

o

I have six gigantic inflatable figures across my front yard. One is two stories high...Just kidding, but I saw a house like that the other day. A "Rudolph" one WAS GIGANTIC!!

I have large REAL balsam wreaths on every door with bows and fruit and nuts wired on them. I have an antique sled propped on the door and white hanging icicle lights on the small old porch. Year round I have electric brass candles at every window. The old house looks like a Currier and Ives painting especially if it snows.

o

Lily, In my old "hood"...there was a Motorcycle Santa Scene..ugliest of all scenery in Ohio.

Our son sends a door wreath to us every year. Last year it was the Christmas Cheer from Delong Farms. They make lovely, long-lasting wreaths. We keep the shipping box in our basement and the aroma prolongs for months.

o

I have six gigantic inflatable figures across my front yard. One is two stories high...Just kidding, but I saw a house like that the other day. A "Rudolph" one WAS GIGANTIC!!

I curse the day they mad these ugly plastic blow up lawn ornaments. I guess they serve a purpose the kids love them and that is the important thing.

o

Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 12:43

Mom always had lights hung along the roof line, she would send us kids up on the roof to put them up and take them down .. I cannot imagine sending my children up on a sloping roof with ice and snow to hang Christmas lights. We always made more than one trip "up on the rooftop" to replace the bulbs. :)

I have to say I do not care for "inflatable" Christmas dec's ... simple lights and wreaths look so much nicer IMO.

o

They've been up since before October. One vine on one side of the garage has the orange lights. The other vine on the other side of the garage has the multi-color lights. They are the new low heat, low watt LCDs. They are dirt cheap if you get them after the holidays.

Oh, and the 20-year old tree is up too.

-Ron-

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 13:03

When the space station reports on your light display, it's probably too much.

We have 34th Street in Baltimore to fulfill all our lighting desires.

o

Very simple here.

My DH and I make a huge wreath from evergreen boughs and hang it on the peak of the garage. The garage is roadside, the house is set back and not visible from the road.

I make a fresh display of birch, cedar, and balsam boughs, hang a few bulbs on it and place at the end of the driveway. That and a simple wreath on the door is all we do.

o

Two lighted toy soldiers on the porch - one at each column. Strings of the large-bulb lights on three large bushes in front of the porch. Huge red velvet ribbon with a silver bell in the bow on the front door.

I love to come home to the lights.

o

We live on a semi-rural street, no sidewalks & no street lights so I very much appreciate seeing holiday lights to brighten the dark, gloom of December in the PacNW. My husband indulges me by stringing white lights outlining the windows, door & roof of our house. Makes coming home in the dark so much nicer for the month of December. Wreath on the door & tree visible through the front window after we put it up in mid-December.

o

A wreath and nothing more. Not even when I didn't live at the bottom of a steep driveway on the back of a house under the deck.
;)

I do love decorations and love that the days are shorter so I can see them more easily in the dark, but I don't really contribute. Wish I could!

o

My neighbors to the west used to set up some ghastly display of what ever huge blow-up characters Walmart had in stock that year - so there would be a Santa, Mickey Mouse, a reindeer or two, maybe a fake tree. And every year, some wind storm would come up and they'd end up on the barbed wire fences.

For several years, we grew a selection of broom corn - aka sorghum, and made some admittedly good looking 'sheaves of grain' maybe 5 feet long, foot in diameter, 80-odd heads of different colored seeds. We hung these by the front door, that old "ready for winter" look.

Last year, the flocks of tiny birds that over-winter discovered this grain stash, and the porch was covered in bird poop and grain shells as they picked the thing clean.

o

I don't do a lot of outside decorating - a lovely pinecone wreath I made; individually wiring what seemed like a thousand of @8 different kinds of collected and selected cones to a wire frame back when my hands allowed for such things, for the portico door.

The farmers market always has bottom branches cut from the trees they sell - so I make swags with a red velvet bow for the garage door lamps. That's it.

The good Benedictines across the avenue light up every conifer in their yard, going all the way down the back slope to the creek. Their wrought iron fence has roping and wreathes. The rest of the avenue is pretty restrained.

o

I used to love decorating for Christmas I had a fairly sizeable collection of antique ornaments & angels, wreaths, bric-a-brac. After I moved in with EDD I gave it all away it's a very painful time of year for him.
His grandparents who raised him were murdered by an in-law either on Christmas day or the day after he will rarely ever speak about it.
This neighborhood in Brooklyn has tour buses come out from Manhattan every year they get so over the top!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyker Heights Lights

o

I have a sizable collection of antique ornaments too, but don't get a tree any more. We spend Xmas at the daughter's so I dumped the tree a few years ago. Always had an enormous Frazier fir, and the last time as it took me hours to UN decorate the tree, a lightbulb went off. I'm done. I do put greens around the house and other seasonal things. I forgot. On the outside I also put real pine roping up the porch pillars and around the lampposts.

On my walk at dusk today, I needed my sunglasses as I passed a house with not a square inch undecorated with flashing lights. I'd have a head ache if I lived near him.

o

I'm having images of fur lined Manties and Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer dancing around in my brain.

(Forgive me. I can't be held responsible for the images that pop into my brain.)

Hay

o

Lights along the balcony railing and along the top of the roofline. I put up a wreath beside the front door and then make a winter garden with boughs, berries and whatever in a couple of planters by the front door.

o

Columbus Zoo, which is just down the road from us has 3 million twinkling lights, all in LED. My night sky will be daylight until January 3.

o

Lily, the outside of your gorgeous sounding home sounds so lovely - it sounds like you make your decor exactly right for your particular home.

We keep it simple outside, a very small string of white icicle lights over the tiny porch area, a decorated wreath at our front door.
Inside, I do the tree with the collection of tiny ornaments we have collected since the year we were married, from every out-of-country place we have been stationed as well as from here in the states.
If I could speak to that young couple that was us, I would advise them to collect large ornaments instead and just rotate the use of them during the years - large ornaments fill and decorate a tree very quickly and viola! It's done!

It takes forever to decorate our tree - only six feet tall - because the decorations are so tiny and we also also put about 150 long thin glass icicles on it - because of the enormous amount of tiny things, I've come to dread the job but when it's done, it really is gorgeous, like a sparklie fairy tree, and I'm glad I did the work. It's a fun tree to look at because the longer you look, the more there is to see.
However, at this point in my life, I could easily hand the ornaments down to my son and make do with a very tiny, pretty table-top tree, but keeping our other Christmas favorites we put out (everything on the mantle is a favorite) but everytime I mention it, DH gets a stricken look on his sentimental face so the tree will be done up for as long as it's important to him.

No giant inflatables in our neighborhood but a few miles away, oh my! Kinda scary! I'll bet the kids just adore that stuff, makes it all so much fun for them.
I do love it all and we like to take a long evening drive around a week before Christmas - go out for a light evening meal and pack a thermos of hot cocoa and then spend a few hours driving all over the valley looking at everything people like to do - so lovely and/or so festive! but I can't stand it when people leave all that stuff up a day into February.

I take mine down way early because I have it all up and finished by Dec.1st, so I take it down the day of New Year's eve.
I understand that many more want to leave their decor up much longer because they don't put it up until close to Christmas day, but when Feb.1st rolls around, I begin to make grumpy remarks underneath my breath about those who still have their house lights up - and some always do, sometimes until spring is well approaching.

That is either taking a good thing way too far it's very lazy. Either way, blech! ;)

o

I wanted to mention the neighbors on our street who put up an inflatable "Snoopy & the Red Baron" every year. Not sure what the meaning is but it does make me laugh when I see it. They'll inflate it next weekend after Thanksgiving. Always interesting to see where it ends up after a good wind.

o

mylab123, your tree sounds gorgeous. I am in the same slow process you are too. I collect crystal ornaments, people started giving me crystal ornaments for Christmas presents.

I use clear and blue lights. I put the most impressive ones on ornamotion so they turn it looks like a jewelry store. It is funny but I like it.

o

I can't help but think, it'd be nice to see some of these. Anyone up for posting a picture of theirs? Simple or not, they'd be nice to see.

o

Hydrangea Macrophylla.

Au Naturel:

And, Putting on the Rits:

The dried and the dried-and-dyed Hydrangeas will last just about forever. The dyed ones might bleed in the outside rain so I'd keep them inside. The dried ones will fade to a coffee-with-cream color over time, but will still look nice and last forever.

Better than Roses.

Hay

o

Rob I agree I would love to see pics. My tree does not photograph well because of all the crystals and white lights. I do not mind posting a pic.

I will look through my files for a full pic but this will is an idea of why it does not photograph well because of the crystals..

Photobucket

o

You said it Hay, better than roses. Great looking! I could also see that as a Valentine's wreath, and I don't even hang a Valentine's wreath. Thank you, I enjoy this!

o

Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 9:43

Hay those are gorgeous .. did you make them? Love the first one "Au Naturel"

o

Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 9:46

Marquest I love your Angels :)

o

mar, yours wasn't on their when I clicked on the link. Ooohh! I love it. Really love it. It's photographed well enough, but probably loads better in person.

o

Hay: I really love that Hydrangea Macrophylla wreath - very pretty.

o

I made the first one. I taught a woman how to dye Hydrangeas and she made the dyed wreath.

"You said it Hay, better than roses. Great looking! I could also see that as a Valentine's wreath, and I don't even hang a Valentine's wreath. Thank you, I enjoy this!"

My reward for teaching the woman the technique.

Hay

o

HA! I knew it'd look good as a heart. And the colors are right even if you don't dye them. But dyed is good too!

o

Love the wreaths , Hay...especially the au natural one.

o

Labrea, that's so tragic; EDD needs extra hugs.

------------------

Anyone see "Christmas Vacation"? That wasn't the Clark Griswold house; that was my house ;D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here