Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Friday is here and I was out there already!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 4:39

Yes, I lined up at about 11pm with many others on a beautiful night. We charged thru the doors and raced down the aisles to get the goodies on sale at the stroke of midnight. I had to use a little of my girth to push past some ladies to make sure that I got one of the few flat panels on sale. Angry looks and comments didn't faze me as I hustled to the cashier and out the door. And why should they, making sure to get yours is what it is all about...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Friday is here and I was out there already!

LOL. So, you shopped walmart?

o

I never reveal my sources of good stuff as others might get some before I do...

o

I did my pre-Black Friday at Samsung Online.

Got the SmartTV and Galaxy III smart phone and both are already in use. Adding the SmartTV makes my home entirely wireless.

All set for another year.

We will be shopping at JCP today for some home decor and a few of those cashmere/cotton sweaters for only $15.

o

it is not about the stuff it is about fighting and conflict.
how many little old ladies did you knock down for that coat or shirt.
how many did you have maim to get the that iphone,ipad or furby.

If there was no blood and guts there is no glory.
you need to expose you rivals entrails and stomp on them for there to be real fun. any thing else is just romper room.

o

I think I'll wait for the Boxing Day crowds, thank you very much. Less bloodsport.

I need a flatscreen for the rec room.

o

I would have taken photos of the bruised and battered but there was no time or I could have been one of them...

o

I'm heading out later today, taking my taser with me. ;-)

Brushworks, congrats on the Galaxy III smart phone! Sam's has it for 96 cents but only if you sign up for a 2-year contract. Kohls has a nice bluetooth keyboard case for $39, I want one for my iPad.

o

HG

Sears is having a big sale on flat screens...calling it a Black Friday sale!!! Oh well!!!

DH is off to get one this PM but at the Sears catalog outlet in Haliburton.....if there are three people there he'll call it a mob!

o

A taser! Great idea for next year...

o

Glad we don't have Boxing Day here in the US -- the name would inevitably be taken literally.

o

yep, a taser doesn't leave any bruises. They just twitch a little as I snatch their prize and head for the register.

o

Thanks Chase.

I see online that most ofese places have them on sale, but I'm not really impressed by the sales. $100 off, $200 off... I'm wanting 50% off or 60% off at least. I may have to wait for Boxing Day.

o

Stay near the old people, they are the easiest to push out of the way, and they don't usually fight back. And they have Medicare, so they will be well cared for in the hospital.

Any manties?

I agree about Boxing Day. Thank goodness we don't call it that.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 9:36

Our 4 year old HD flat screen works just fine, so does our 6 year old cell phone which only makes phone calls which is what was desired of it, thank you very much. Political commercials have been replaced with Xmas sales, humbug to both. Bring on New Years!

o

I don't have a flat screen - my newest TV was purchased sometime in the 90's. Works just fine. Cell phone makes and gets calls which is what I expect from it. The thought of lining up for electronics is to be avoided like the plague - which is what you're likely to get from the throngs sneezing, hacking, and hawking.

As predicted, it started snowing just after night fall. Got quite a bit, but I'm plowed out already. That might slow people down a little here, but it won't stop them.

o

I have never in my life willingly stood in line for anything. If I see a line I go in the other direction. I have several flat screens but I am waiting for after holiday sales. I want a 70" for the family room.

I do not have any young kids so presents can be purchased easily without getting in tobr24u way of getting to the needed presents. That will make ones less old woman needed to be knocked down.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 10:35

Save a couple of bucks for tomorrow "small business Saturday" :)

o

Not a chance in hell would I ever brave the crowds on such a day to save a dollar or two... the crowds, fights, and everything else are just not worth it!

o

Insanity at it's best!

Here is a link that might be useful: all for a cellphone

o

"Insanity at it's best!"

Don't listen to Labrea!

Buy, BUY, BUY!!!!

The more you buy, the sooner I can retire!!!

..."the S&P 500 advanced 1.3%.

Technology stocks led the broader market. Shares of Apple (AAPL 571.50, +9.80) added 1.7%"

I made enough today to buy my way into the once a year fabulous "Burn Off the Turkey Dance". Great band, great caller. One of the many highlights of my year.

The more you buy, the more I can dance. My little present from Tobr. Thanks.

Hay

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 16:42

Those TVs that are already plugged in and operating have been showing clips of people fighting over merchandise in stores and being trampled in store doorways.

o

Well, I looked through all the ads on Wednesday and I wasn't able to find any stores that were going to be handing out cash.

That's about the only possible reason I will ever participate in Black Friday.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 17:23

It should be called "Black & Blue Friday"

...but I'm with Hay as too more power to em', add fuel to the fire as long as I'm not involved.

o

Yes, folks, we already have up on the internet a compilation of video and sound recordings from Walmarts around the country on Black Friday.

Even some guy who took his very young kids along to witness the circus......

Is the innernet great, or what? I ask (rhetorically)

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Oh. My. Goodness.

I had no idea it was that bad.

No idea at all.

We are SO ripe for someone to take over this country with citizens like that.

o

Keep that money flowing locally to mom and pop, small businesses that need the money. That's our plan.

The larger corporations won't miss my cash for the junk they offer in return.

o

Holy crap David.

I've started surfing for crazy black friday videos and there are a bunch out there.

What is wrong with these people? I was joking around when I said bloodsport, but it really is...these people are nuts!

o

I stopped by Kohl's since I was out already taking care of a friend's pets. Picked up a few things and no one got hurt.

o

"We are SO ripe for someone to take over this country with citizens like that"

Yeah but he lost!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 22:38

But he probably owns some of the stores.

o

Realistically speaking, mom and pop stores offer junk too, only at a higher price level.

Unless it's made locally, you're most likely supporting imports (along with minimum wage employees) when buying from mom and pop stores.

o

Posted by brushworks Zone5-Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 7:33

Realistically speaking, mom and pop stores offer junk too, only at a higher price level.

Yep!

Also, I haven't found much "junk" at Neiman's or Saks and they are corporations!

o

Nordstrom's didn't have much "junk" either yesterday. Too many people, but not much junk.

o
shopping

Yes, I now prefer Nordstrom, too!

Just checked email, I have a Christmas present for myself coming from Nordstrom. :)

Also, no crowds here at my computer.

o

"Also, I haven't found much "junk" at Neiman's or Saks and they are corporations!"

Ah, but the thrift shop deals are even better. I found 2 wonderful Saks items this fall--a blouse ($2) and a trenchcoat ($5). Perfect, literally. People give away the darnest things. ;D

I figure the first consumer is the responsible party; once it's post-first consumer, all bets are off and I'm free from personal responsibility for supporting anyone except the charity I'm donating to by shopping at the TS.

I love win-win.

o

"Yes, folks, we already have up on the internet a compilation of video and sound recordings from Walmarts around the country on Black Friday."

Ignore the Naysayers, I say. This is all good!!!

Buy, BUY, BUY!!!

Shop til somebody drops!

"Wal-Mart, which drew criticism for opening on Thanksgiving, reported serving 22 million customers and racking up the biggest Black Friday sales on record. The Bentonville, Ark., retail giant's shares added $1.31, or 1.9%, to $70.20."

Happy days are here again!

Hay

o
Buy, buy, buy. Win, win, win!!!

"Ah, but the thrift shop deals are even better.

I love win-win."

Me, too.

You buy expensive ill-fitting gifts for someone. Stocks go up and I can retire and dance.

And then, when the item ends up at Goodwill, I buy it for pennies on the dollar.

WIN, Win, win.

I'm getting into the spirit of things around here.

Hay

o

That's the ticket, Hay. Let's add CAPS for emphasis:

"YOU buy expensive ill-fitting gifts for someone."

"And then, when the item ends up at Goodwill, I BUY IT for pennies on the dollar."

Capitalism at its best ;D

I have many cute and (originally) pricey dancing dresses...

o

I love Goodwill.

Last night at the dance, I was wearing a shirt: "I Do All My Own Stunts". A woman asks me if there was a story behind the shirt.

"Yes, in a word: "Goodwill"."

Hay

o

If we work really hard, we can get partisan politics worked into this conversation.

Black Friday politics: Do some stores lean Democratic or Republican?

"Then there's Wal-Mart. Sam Walton's empire has a major presence in politics compared with its big box brethren. Its employees and PAC gave $2.7 million to candidates in the 2012 cycle.

Employee donations skewed Republican - which might not be surprising, since Wal-Mart is a big employer in the exurban/rural areas where Romney ran strongly. The firm's PAC gave roughly equal amounts to candidates of both parties, however. That might be because Wal-Mart lobbies hard in Washington and needs relationships on both sides of the aisle."

Hay

o

Hey, Kids! Lets play this game:

o

Whoa, David. I see major politically incorrectness on this card.

gender: Why is "male" first, huh? Alphabetically, it should be "female"

race: See above, "African-American" should be first...

o

Why stop with those, elvis? The other categories aren't alphabetical either; although age and savings percentages seem to line up okay. I see no reason to play along with picking nits only to trample on david's "game" in the same spirit as shoppers trampling each other to belly up to the bin of cheap towels.

Someone in East Overshoe, MT., could probably identify with the stores listed - Nordstrom, Burberry, Neiman Marcus not so much.

o

My favorite store isn't a large corporation, it's a family owned (since 1872) store that offers one of a kind top quality merchandise. It deserves an honorable mention.

I keep my money local by buying there since the employees live around me and spend their paychecks locally.

Von Maur at Polaris.

o

Brush, is it outdoor gear?

o

I keep my money local by buying there since the employees live around me and spend their paychecks locally.

Wouldn't that be true of any store (Macy's, Target, Walmart) that you shop at locally? All the employees live nearby.

Von Maur is an upscale privately owned department store; we just got one at the mall near us but none of us have been there yet. I do see that Von Maur did not open any on Thanksgiving and didn't open until 9 am on Black Friday. Kudos to them.

o

Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 17:06

Speaking of "one of a kind", and hardly "junk". The small businesses I had in mind were the Artisan shops, art, jewelry, glass, pottery, handmade chocolates and more. The link is just one local shop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass

o

Ohiomom that's how I shop for the most part. Local artisans. I like that the gifts are locally made but I love the fact they are always unique.

No bargains to be sure, but special all the way around...

o

I shopped at a Mennonite store today. We bought some baked goods. How is that for local?

o

I hope they had scones; they make really good ones :)

o

And we wonder why other countries hate us. The Walmart scene doesn't surprise me in the least which is why I never set foot inside one. I have never done Black Friday, for sure wouldn't do Grey Thursday. I predict the next holiday to go will be Xmas. Stores will open after the gift giving for rapid exchanges or perhaps buying for NEXT Xmas.

On second thought, I did stop at Home Depot on the way to the gym yesterday and bought pine roping and balsam wreaths which were on sale for Friday only. Store was almost empty. Tonight when I was out and about in Target and TJ MAXX, it was business as usual..no crowds and I bought grandkids some clothes at TJ's with no lines at all. .

o

I think part of the gist is that we're supposed to show envy at the higher end store name dropping, where a lot of folks can't afford to shop... though many of the same items are available, just at difference price tags.

A wasted effort, as some people aren't that interested in the baser, more materialistic things life has to offer...

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 5:38

I think part of the gist is that we're supposed to show envy at the higher end store name dropping, where a lot of folks can't afford to shop... though many of the same items are available, just at difference price tags.

A wasted effort, as some people aren't that interested in the baser, more materialistic things life has to offer...

No, the "gist" doesn't involve any effort and does not desire any poster to show or feel anything.

The "gist" of my post was in response to this comment:

"The larger corporations won't miss my cash for the junk they offer in return"

The "gist" of my post has to do with the fact that there are a lot of those hated and disparaged "corporations" that do not offer junk.

Look at it this way, Jodik, if everyone assumed that corporations only offered "junk" and that the only stores worth patronizing were mom and pop stores, the mom and pop stores couldn't handle the business, and we'd be without that tax revenue--federal, state and local, and many jobs with benefits.

You know, those evil corporations that employ more than 50 people that have for years been offering health insurance to their employees, unlike a lot of mom and pop operations that do not or cannot. Corporations that support the communities that support them and that give millions of dollars to non profit charitable causes each year.

Walmart, Target, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Barney's, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, Marshalls--it doesn't mattter
what they sell--one man's "junk" is another's treasure.

An item that is unnecessary to one person is not necessarily "junk" on either end of the spectrum--"junk" as in cheap or "junk" as in superfluous.

Different people hold different ideas of junk and I am grateful that we live in a country where we all have so many choices and they the choices of people that do purchase "junk" contribute to the enrichment of lives that choose not to buy the "junk!"

o

Grey Thursday? I can't tell whether my heart is hurting or whether I'm p.o.ed, though I am not upset at anyone here ... I know lily didn't create the term.

It's effing THANKSGIVING! WTH is wrong with people?

o

Mr. Peanut and I realized this weekend how out of touch we are with most other Americans. We haven't been in a Walmart/Target/Kmart etc for easily 10 years, and have few electronic gadgets (no tv, no cell phones etc). Yet we are still not immune: dozens of emails have arrived announcing CyberMonday sales, in which EVERY product on offer is made in China. It's pretty horrendous, viewed from the outside in. (I stress that we're hardly virtuous consumers, it's just that we buy all USA, locally made things wherever possible, which leaves out practically all larger box stores. Although I did find some chicken wire made in Vermont at Lowes once.)

But why stop at CyberMonday? Some wee suggestions:

'Take Away Health Coverage' Tuesday

'Whore Yourself to Walmart' Wednesday

'Thank Your Corporate Masters You're Employed At All' Thursday

'F--- You American Manufacturing Base' Friday

o

circus you forgot:

'Slaughter the Unions' Saturday

and

'Sanctify the Money Changers(The Fed)' Sunday

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 5:38

"I think part of the gist is that we're supposed to show envy at the higher end store name dropping, where a lot of folks can't afford to shop... though many of the same items are available, just at difference price tags.
A wasted effort, as some people aren't that interested in the baser, more materialistic things life has to offer..."

The "gist" of "higher-end store name-dropping." What? I don't see where that came from, so I went back. The only high-end store name I see is JMC and Demi mentioning Nordstrom and Demi mentioning Niemann & Saks.

I'm taking this to mean that Jodi is one of those people that "aren't that interested in the baser, more materialistic things life has to offer...". So I'm trying to make sense of this, because Jodi likes to talk about what's logical and what's not logical.
baser
comparative of base (Adjective)Adjective:
1.Without moral principles; ignoble: "the electorate's baser instincts of greed and selfishness".
2.Denoting or befitting a person of low social class.

Now I'm concluding that Jodi is saying that mentioning a higher-end store in a positive or neutral way = a person w/o moral principles, low social class, per the definition of "baser".

Or is this not what Jodi means? I'd like to be made to understand that I read this wrong. I would ignore this from certain posters, but a post by Jodi can seldom if ever be ignored.

o

Well, I would say you even have to pay attention in Neiman-Marcus. I ordered a Swiss embroidered table runner for my Bilateral's wedding gift. I was naive enough to think that it was indeed Swiss. The description said imported which of course would make sense. It was imported from China. I was not pleased.

We were broke on Black Friday, otherwise I would have availed myself of the 10% off seeds at Baker Creek. That definitely would have been a gift to me.

o

No, I didn't coin the term Grey Thursday. That's what the media is calling it, and it's apropos. It IS depressing to leave a holiday dinner with family to go shopping. Or worse...skip it all together to stand in line for days as some did around here. Crazy.

I used to be a thrift store snob. I had a friend who tried to get me hooked but I never bit. Then a community store took over the huge old Superpetz store across from my gym. No item is over $5.95 and on senior day anyone over 50 gets 50% off. They even have brand new stuff like the Talbots turtle I got for $2 and the hanging tag said $48. I do donate quite a bit myself but usually replenish . This is a relatively well off area, and I guess people wear their clothing just a few times and donate. Whatever, it's my newest addiction. The best part is all money stays local and benefits the Humane Society and other groups. So it's a win win for everyone.

o

Saks...

Whenever I put on my winter jacket made by Marmot, (name dropping here), I almost always have the thought that, wow, I'm a good shopper!!! That jacket has to be more than 20 years old. I'd guess 25. It wasn't cheap when I bought it, but, averaged over 20-25 years, it was one of the cheapest articles of clothing I've ever bought.

Which always gets me to thinking that one of the unfortunate things about being so poor that you have to watch every single penny means that you can't "afford" to buy jackets like this, even though, over time, they're the best buy.

SAKS....

When I just got out of college, many years ago, I visited with a friend in NYC over the Christmas holidays. My first trip to the Big Apple. She happened to be working at Saks. I needed an overcoat, and they were on sale at Saks. I must have worn that coat for more than 25 years. One of my best buys ever.

People should check out Saks sometimes. Smart, thrifty people shop there.

Hay

o
I'm alert this early

Which got me to thinking.

A long time ago again.

I also bought way back then a pair of shoes that were VERY "expensive" at the time. They lasted me forever.

I always buy "expensive" wallets. They last forever.

I always buy "expensive" belts. They last forever.

Sometimes frugal means spending a lot upfront.

Hay

o

I think the notion that larger corporations only carry junk is just plain silly. Being a smart consumer means being able to recognize good value, like Hay's winter jacket.

Our local mom and pop hardware store carries much of the same merchandise as Lowes. Their hours aren't as convenient and their staff, not as knowledgable or helpful. The m & p's prices also run about 20% higher than Lowes. They clearly haven't established a niche for themselves other than catering to those that need to grab this or that in a hurry.

o

Our local mom and pop hardware store carries much of the same merchandise as Lowes. Their hours aren't as convenient and their staff, not as knowledgable or helpful. The m & p's prices also run about 20% higher than Lowes. They clearly haven't established a niche for themselves other than catering to those that need to grab this or that in a hurry.

That's too bad. I hope they find their niche soon or they'll pay the price. Our local hardware carries lots of the nicer brands (Klein, Festool or Fein tools, GRK screws) and hard-to-find stuff that you cannot get at the big boxess, like copper window sash chain and fittings. Unfortunately, "nicer" tends to mean not made in China. German, Swiss and even Italian manufacture is virtually always superior quality in my experience.

It's also impressive to find employees who actually know less than many who work at Lowes and Home Depot, at least around here. (Me at Lowes: I need 1x10 cedar boards to make some windowboxes. Employee 1: No, we don't carry those. I then asked wandering Employee 2: Sorry, we're all sold out. Employee 2 then walked away, and right behind where he was standing were the stacks of exactly the cedar boards I needed.)

Sometimes frugal means spending a lot upfront.

I completely agree.

Lavenderlver, I don't think anyone is saying that larger corporations carry only junk, but it's true that many of the larger chain stores don't offer many of the quality brands any more. In terms of clothing, I don't think you can buy Hay's Marmot jacket (or Patagonia or Arc'teryx) at places like Kohl's or Pennys or Sears or Saks or Macy's these days. North Face made in China, yes, but it hasn't nearly the wearing power of those other brands and is produced using labor practices that would be illegal in the USA. I'll pass.

It's not easy, costs more (sometimes a lot more) and is a downright pain in the arse to be particular about the manufacture of one's purchases -- there are many times I curse Mr. Peanut for being so stubborn about it -- but I firmly believe it's the only path to take, and collectively it can make a difference. And it's certainly about the only way to make sure you're getting quality that will last. My German Miele vacuum was almost three times the cost of a Chinese-made Hoover, but has lasted easily 4 times as many years and keeps on going strong.

o

Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 8:39

using labor practices that would be illegal in the USA

Like the recent factory fire that claimed 112 lives in Bangladesh ?

"112 people killed in a garment-factory fire that highlighted unsafe conditions in an industry rushing to produce for major retailers around the world"

Oh for the good old days in the USofA before all those evil unions and regulations.

Here is a link that might be useful: linky dink

o

My German Miele vacuum was almost three times the cost of a Chinese-made Hoover,

You're entitled to buy wherever and whatever...and that is a good vacuum.

But you could have purchased a Riccar at the mom and pop vacuum center like we did and it's Made in USA. :)

See how easy it is to find fault with someone's purchases?

As for shopping those artisans stores, we have grandchildren. Ha! We don't have time to be attached to those things. Buy cheap and let 'em break it. :)

Some folks don't realize that there are quality manufacturers in China and elsewhere.

Why do Ellen, Oprah and Rachel Ray choose Balsam Hill Christmas Trees over the others? It's not because they are expensive, it's because they are high quality, life-like trees, and permanent.

o

You're entitled to buy wherever and whatever...and that is a good vacuum.
But you could have purchased a Riccar at the mom and pop vacuum center like we did and it's Made in USA. :)
See how easy it is to find fault with someone's purchases?

I emphasized that I'm not finding fault with others' purchases. The only reason I like to buy German, Italian, etc, is that I know I'm buying a quality product produced by a person making a living wage with adequate benefits. I know I'm not doing our own workers any favors (other than the import dealers) by buying them.

But it's true, isn't it, that we can't very well bemoan the state of this country's economy while simultaneously supporting outsourced labor practices that screw our own workers?

Brush, I'd never heard of Riccar and apparently there are no dealers in my state, but I'll definitely look into them next time! There are so many of these smaller home-produced brands that suffer because they don't have the advertising capital of the huge conglomerates. Another big drawback to the increasing chain-i-fication of our commodity market.

o

Unfortunately we had to ask the salesperson (the owner) if she sold any USA made products. She was surprised by our question because she assumed we wanted an inexpensive vacuum cleaner.

Wrong about me! I do enjoy quality made tools and will pay a huge price for them when available.

And I understand about German tools. I use a FLEX, German made car polisher/buffer tool. It's quite expensive compared to the competition out there. But, it's super light, superior balance, and myriad accessories make it a lifetime tool for me. I do understand.

o

Well, if I mention buying certain produce that is organic and has more nutrients than cheap iceberg lettuce, Jodik, will you still think I'm only interested "in the baser, more materialistic things life has to offer?"

I guess so, if we extrapolate that ridiculous charge in your post to what I posted.

Pointing out the fact that all corporations that don't carry junk when you have disparaged corporations for carrying junk is responding with facts, as I did about corporations paying taxes and producing revenue, corporations providing jobs, and corporations providing health care insurance for their employees.

Mom and Pop stores are great--I patronize them as well.
But they don't provide us with everything we need and the tired old standby of demonization of business in this country is counter productive to our economy, jobs, and needs.

I was making salient points, Jodik, not "name dropping" the names of stores to make you or anyone else envious.

I know of no one whose mind that would cross.
Except yours, I guess.

Hay makes excellent points.
I have a red cashmere coat that I purchased at Saks Off Fifth (that's the "outlet" store for Saks Fifth Avenue)that was purchased in 2002, ten years ago. It was originally a $1000 coat and with a sale and customer loyalty coupon the cost of that coat was about $200. I do not normally speak of prices, but this is a great example of what Hay was saying.

I've worn that coat for ten years and traveled overseas with it. That coat still has another two years in it.
Shopping at Saks really paid off big time and I still feel and look great in that coat and get compliments when I wear it. It's warm too.

I own sweatshirts from Walmart, and Target, too--values and fashion are where you find them, I believe. I used to take clothes to consignment shops, especially for the girls when they were small, and I have purchased a few things. Where I live now that's not something I want to do.

So Hay makes an excellent point--people don't always throw their money away when they buy something expensive--they're investing. Of course not everyone can do that, and many times I've not been able to do that.

But you factor in cost per wearing and it's not just buying something and foolishly paying more for it because of a "name brand" or any snob factor which is implied.

As pointed out, of course ".. though many of the same items are available, just at difference price tags" the smart thing to do if you can afford it, is to not throw your money away.

By the way, I have recently made several purchases of Patagonia jackets and ski pants, and ordered Christmas items from an online company that sells them at a discount, the only source I know that sells Patagonia and Marmot at discount. I've been very pleased with the quality and service.

I'm not sure if I can post the name here, though.

o

Quality and price are not the same. Price does not guarantee quality.

There was a time you could walk into a high end store and it was guaranteed your purchase was quality.

o

Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 10:47

The next time there is a post about "small businesses being hurt by tax legislation" I will pass. How can anyone get on here and yell about Obama's policies hurting small businesses when some of you won't even shop there ?

Guess supporting small business is just another partisan talking point.

Oh well ...

o

Improv Everywhere plays on Black Friday lines at a 99 cent Store!

Here is a link that might be useful: Improv Everywhere

o

Many of the very inexpensive import tools we own are excellent quality.

There's a big difference between inexpensive and low quality.

I'm hell on many imported tools, yet they've held up well to commercial use, misuse and abuse.

On the other hand, I've owned many American made products that really sucked.

Many products are so inexpensive that they're disposable. Many products are also good enough, or better they need to be to serve their limited use.

o

"I know I'm not doing our own workers any favors (other than the import dealers) by buying them.

But it's true, isn't it, that we can't very well bemoan the state of this country's economy while simultaneously supporting outsourced labor practices that screw our own workers?"

No, it's not true, now that you ask. It's all a myth propagated by those wonderful union people who could care less about your well-being.

Look at this way. You buy a German product, then you are guaranteeing that somewhere down the line some German will BE FORCED to buy some product produced by an American. What else are they going to be doing with those little pieces of green paper with pictures of our Presidents on them? If they decide they like the little pieces of green paper and want to keep them, then all the better, we'll send them some more. They only cost a few pennies to make. Sounds like a good deal no matter the outcome.

Think of it as Karma if you need to. What goes around, comes around.

Otherwise, if you still have doubts, I'll put you on the wait list for the phones my daughter is producing in the cellar.

Hay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here